ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL 5A

1. I'm ok with how the WPIAL uses conference finishes to determine who gets in the playoffs. Obviously not all conferences are equal in strength- and that will sometimes lead to better teams not getting in the playoffs, but those are always going to be teams near the bottom of rankings. With reclassification every 2 years and natural variability in strength of teams, getting equal conferences is pretty much impossible especially if you want a semblance of geographical continuity. Down in Virginia they use a power rating system similar to Cal Preps and they use it to determine who makes the playoffs. I think it creates less interest.

2. Seeding is a bit more problematic in the WPIAL. It's entirely subjective. Do they give higher seeds to conference champions? Sometimes, but not always. Do they go by strength of schedule? Probably, but without a unbiased system like Cal Preps that is, yes, subjective. Do they look at close losses to good teams? Who knows? Bottom line, sitting in a smoke filled room debating your eye test doesn't always yield fair results. At times it seems off. Sometimes things make no sense at all. For instance, they give North Hills the #6 seed, but then give the #7 and #8 seeds vastly easier games. Does anyone really think Peters Township a weaker opponent than Fox Chapel and Woodland Hills?

Ok New nice job! 6 and 5 need to playoff at end of districts and never should have been separated. Ditto in D3. Gov-Mifflin and Warwick would have manhandled teams in 3 last year (except Hburg). Oh well....

Some concerns like Penn Traf needing a QB as a top seed but they have that Rb and a manageable first two (Norwin, Hemp) before 4A terror Belle Vernon where they could trip up. Sister just came thru there on the GAP bike hike (Frostburg-MD....Meyerstown, Ohiopyle, City) 2 weeks ago, but to the point, those Mon teams can be wicked....even reloading.
Pine has a tough first six and Peters has a good opening two vs Fox and C-Mac giving new Qb some reps before playing Trafford.
** About Gateway, are there still eligibility issues with Brett B? "Any student athlete who transfers anytime after start of soph season is ineligible for the playoffs....unless meets criteria for exception". Evidently Brad is ok'd.

Still working on Dist-3 Top 20, all classes. About 5A GMif 8-1 is #1 (all classes) in my view with a loaded Manheim Central 3-5 right there. And I don't think much has changed in the 5A (a few transfers) but balance of power unchanged tho I think a real drop off after 1 and 2 with Exeter 6-2, Warwick 8-0....forfeit loss (both with good looking Qbs coming up), Cedar Cliff 4-4 (great Rb back from inj), Red Lion 5-2 (loaded minus a Qb), Ship 4-3 led by DE Anthony Smith 6-7, 265, offers from PSU, Pitt, Neb, MSU, Io St, WVA, Syra, NC St, etc, etc,), New Oxford 6-1 (all skill back), Conestoga Val 6-2 (most back, no history), Waynesboro 5-3 (like CV and Ox).

** 4A again looking mean in 3; Berks Cath, McDevitt, Lamp Stras (changed opinion here), Weiser, ELCO and Cocalico (ditto LS) all with strong potential. Especially McD.
Ok, back to Top 20. Good luck to Pine this trying year.
Now Frostburg brings back memories, family.

Historically, the WPIAL seems to give defending champs the benefit of the doubt. Exact same thing happened in 2015 with 3 way tie between P-R, NA, and PCC. P-R was defending champ and got higher seed.

And although they lost the games, P-R OOC schedule was much tougher than PH or particularly NH.

PR: Harrisburg - L, SV - L, PCC - L, Gateway - W, USC - W
PH: PCC - L, woody - W, gateway - L, USC - W
NH: Mars - W, Plum - W, SV- L, Moon - L, Woody (Covid)

Big upsets in 5A:

1. Fox Chapel, without starting QB, wins first playoff game in 24 years on road at Upper St Clair. The USC program has work to do.

2. Woodland Hills wins on the road at Bethel Park on 2 pick-6’s. Woody as a program needed this win badly.

3. Peters Twp wins at North Hills, making it 9 straight opening rounds losses for NH in playoffs since Pat Carey took over.

Now Frostburg brings back memories, family.
Hey sh, just saw this. Frostburg is beautiful! Aside from sister's bike hike to Pittsburgh thru there, I was lucky enough to meet Morgan Wooten (DeMatha) at his hoops camp there maybe 20 years ago. What a man and a neat small college atmosphere/campus then called Frostburg State. The boys went to the state hoops final that year! Lost but a heck of a ride.

Hey sh, just saw this. Frostburg is beautiful! Aside from sister's bike hike to Pittsburgh thru there, I was lucky enough to meet Morgan Wooten (DeMatha) at his hoops camp there maybe 20 years ago. What a man and a neat small college atmosphere/campus then called Frostburg State. The boys went to the state hoops final that year! Lost but a heck of a ride.
Whenever we were in town, I'd go play basketball with my cousin at FS. It was really small back then. Boy I'm old.

Whenever we were in town, I'd go play basketball with my cousin at FS. It was really small back then. Boy I'm old.
Ha, nothing wrong with aging, it's the only way to go!
Good games this week all over the state....duhhhh. D3 has some real shit kickers this year, at least 3 could take gold. But it's wide open so I'm looking to the established teams/programs doing it. Always some surprises tho, already last week with CD East going down hard to Hempfield who is a bad ass 4-loss team. It's all about the comp, then the match ups.
Ok sh, be well. Go Haven.

Ha, nothing wrong with aging, it's the only way to go!
Good games this week all over the state....duhhhh. D3 has some real shit kickers this year, at least 3 could take gold. But it's wide open so I'm looking to the established teams/programs doing it. Always some surprises tho, already last week with CD East going down hard to Hempfield who is a bad ass 4-loss team. It's all about the comp, then the match ups.
Ok sh, be well. Go Haven.
line em' up. It'll be interesting. You stay well too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT