ADVERTISEMENT

Will PA go to a class 6A

sammyk

Oct 26, 2001
looks like they are looking to see if they can. Looks like some push back from the WPIAL, I say go to a class 5A

Here in Alabama where I now live and football is king, there are actually 1A through 7A schools. Grabbed just a bit of data. Obviously, much smaller population and far fewer schools, yet more classifications, more champions, and more even competition. Only one state HS organization to run things, no separate leagues or conferences, each classification divided into Regions.

In classes 1-6A there are about 50 high schools per classification, and then 32 schools in class 7A.

Biggest school in class 7A is Hoover High School with >1900 students in grades 10-12 (and they have the equivalent of a small college athletic program) and the smallest 7A school has about 1100 students in grades 10-12.

Obviously, this is a much different from how it's run in Pennsylvania where issues of private schools are more important and also basketball is a real consideration.

All in all, I don't think 7 classifications are necessary in PA, but I do think more classifications evens out the competition between the smallest and largest schools in a classification.

Don't know what the answer is, but I do know when I played ball in the late 70's, PA only had 1A to 3A and no football playoffs. Better now, but probably needs still more change.

Last edited:
I think that 7 is too many but 5 works. I think that anything more than that will make a huge imbalance of teams in the east.

I don't see PA going to 6A this go-around. I think they're too late in the game for this to happen. If they switched the timetable for the 2018/19 football cycle then I think it's very possible. The final decision for this will be around September/October, which is when schools are set to turn in their enrollment #'s for the '16/'17 football cycle.

I always supported the 6 Class format. What's going on in the smaller classes in the WPIAL is brutal. In each of Class A and Class AA there are 35-40 teams in each class, which means the separation between the halves-have nots are increasing every year. And I really don't think 5 Classes strings them out in the fashion needed. Granted, in 5 or 6 classes a Clairton would land in 1A regardless, but in 6 Classes it's easier for Clairton to compete and thrive in 2A without numbers becoming an issue. In a 5 class format that becomes a little bit harder when we're talking about #'s and such. This isn't only about Clairton but schools like Leechburg, Avella, Riverview, Frazier, and many others that just can't compete with the likes of Clairton, Avonworth, Neshannock, and Jeannette, whom all would either land or opt up in 2A (if there were 6 classes). I realize some would just say tough spit, and get better.

it realize school sizes vary widely beytween schools and even from year to year within a school, but as I understand it the HS where I grew up in Crawford County, now 3A Conneaut Area Senior High (recently merged from 1A schools Conneaut Valley, Conneaut Lake and Linesville) has 302 boys enrollled and competes in 3A football with schools who may have as many as 497 boys.

I think there's an unfairness there and don't know why some don't see it, and I'm just not talking about Conneaut. That's why I think more classifications are needed.

I heard they will go to 5 classifications. This will free up the WPIAL to schedule out of state teams. DeLaSalle, is talking to PCC about a future game if and when this happens. DeLaSalle is a Christian Brothers run school as is Pittsburgh Central Catholic.

I heard they will go to 5 classifications. This will free up the WPIAL to schedule out of state teams. DeLaSalle, is talking to PCC about a future game if and when this happens. DeLaSalle is a Christian Brothers run school as is Pittsburgh Central Catholic.
You wouldn't have to go that far to get a great out of state game with the likes of several teams in the north jersey catholic league and of course st. Ignatius and st Edwards next door in Ohio. Hope it happens . Im from the Eastern part of pa. and look forward every year to watch the Prep,LaSalle,Wood , Imhotep among others playing out of state opponents.

Obviously, they wouldn't have to go to California. DeLaSalle wants to schedule PCC. That was just an example of a possibility if and when the state goes to 5 or 6 classifications. In the past they played St Ed's in 05' The Prep in 04 and Wood in 2011. They would gladly play LaSalle as both are Christian Bros schools and the Central Principal is a LaSalle grad. Personally, I'd like to see Central go "Don Bosco" and play a national schedule but that's me.

If Pitt CC did what Don Bosco does with recruiting they would never lose to anyone. Just think if they added just 5 more WPIAL top players who in PA beats them

Reactions: pcc64
A response to recent domination by a few private schools could be the merger of schools to compete. Tho not for that reason, (has been discussion) if Cedar Cliff ever merged with sister school Red Land or Central Dauphin with Central Dauphin East, then you'd see super teams similar to.... eg....Pine Richland last year on a far more consistent basis that would effectively compete with the privates that have prioritized football.
Unfortunately, football seems to be taking a back seat to other sports with numbers-interest declining making the above unrealistic. Imagine what the Central Bucks teams, Council Rocks, Downingtowns, etc might be without the splits.

If Pitt CC did what Don Bosco does with recruiting they would never lose to anyone. Just think if they added just 5 more WPIAL top players who in PA beats them

sammyk that 's exactly what I was talking about. PCC would have to, drop out of the WPIAL in order to pull that off.

I do not know St. Joes Prep is close to doing that and they are still in the PIAA. They had kids from NJ on their team

I do not know St. Joes Prep is close to doing that and they are still in the PIAA. They had kids from NJ on their team
Yes but they aren't controlled by the WPIAL the most restrictive district in the state. As a member of the PCL the Prep has a lot more freedom than Pittsburgh Central Catholic of the WPIAL.

Obviously, they wouldn't have to go to California. DeLaSalle wants to schedule PCC. That was just an example of a possibility if and when the state goes to 5 or 6 classifications. In the past they played St Ed's in 05' The Prep in 04 and Wood in 2011. They would gladly play LaSalle as both are Christian Bros schools and the Central Principal is a LaSalle grad. Personally, I'd like to see Central go "Don Bosco" and play a national schedule but that's me.
Im with you. That Wood/PCC game in 2011 was a good one. Don Boscoe, Prep will play anyone as well as several others up there. FYI if you interested the Prep plays St. Ignatius in October at Plymouth Whitemarsh HS which is about 15 minutes off the pa. TPK. I know PCC is loaded again this year and I wish you the best. I better get back to the East before I get slugged, Ha ha.

Speaking of out-of-state games, Cathedral Prep in Erie (3A) is opening the season in Orlando FL, playing a team from the FL panhandle area, Wakulla, whose QB is an LSU committ. Expected to be televised.

That's a big time game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT