ADVERTISEMENT

the regression of football at ridley

Great weekend by delco football teams and you people can only talk about Ridley football and their suspected demise. Ridley will be just fine- this concept that they are routinely top 10 in the state is a joke.

Heard Decker was there and that Ridley wasn't a bad team. QB and RB are players. Sounds like a defensive game with a few really big plays.

I agree that from top to bottom the league is better now. But until a team goes on a role like Ridley has or Garnet Valley has in the playoffs I"m not buying it's a stronger league. When Haven went to 4 straight state titile games they had some great games with central league teams. Back then Upper Darby, Ridley, Stoga and Haverford and sometimes Penncrest and Springfield all gave Haven a run for their money. Back then I think the league was at its strongest.

Central league teams are out of the playoffs. Stronger league? Don't think so. Hard to say what the strongest years were, probably prior to the decline in enrollment for a lot of the Delco schools. Graduation classes were approaching 1000 kids at Ridley in the mid-late 70s, not even half of that now. Still think the piaa should figure out they need a private school division for state playoffs, ice hockey does it........but they are outside of piaa control.

Landscape is not that much different. It's still about teams that can gt three yardds when they need it. A fullback that can block and a team with strong fundamentals. Ridley has become like all Delaware co. teams have always been. SOFT!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT