ADVERTISEMENT

SJP - Garnet Valley

I think it’s a mistake to say Prep has always been like this. Or the Prep is not doing anything different then it’s been doing for 100 years. Since bringing Brooks on in the 1990’s the entire focus of the school and it’s football program changed. In the 25 years or so before Brooks they were 99-137 with some good years , some awful years , and mostly mediocre years. Almost like a boundary school that is cyclical in nature based upon a group of kids they get ever 2-3 years. But Brooks changed that. He actively started going after kids in 7-8 grades. He was a regular fixture at almost every CYO game. He was not willing to accept coaching whatever kids showed up at Prep , he went out and got his own. There was also a change in the Archdiocese in creating their own open enrollment within the PCL. It used to be a certain kid was an O’Hara kid or Judge kid as early as 5-6 grade and that kid was not actively recruited by any school. But the open enrollment changed the landscape , and the mindset for all PCL schools, and not necessarily for the good. O’Hara Ryan Judge are mere shadows of what they used to be because they can no longer rely on a pipeline of kids from the neighborhood CYO teams going to their school. They have to “ recruit “ just like Prep. So,it’s not the same prep as ever , nor is it the same pCL as ever . Do you see a time down the road where you might see the demise of the PCL because in virtually every sport( not just football ) , you see the same schools dominate , and if people from GV are tired of it , rest assured so are people from O’Hara and Judge.

I think it’s a mistake to say Prep has always been like this. Or the Prep is not doing anything different then it’s been doing for 100 years. Since bringing Brooks on in the 1990’s the entire focus of the school and it’s football program changed. In the 25 years or so before Brooks they were 99-137 with some good years , some awful years , and mostly mediocre years. Almost like a boundary school that is cyclical in nature based upon a group of kids they get ever 2-3 years. But Brooks changed that. He actively started going after kids in 7-8 grades. He was a regular fixture at almost every CYO game. He was not willing to accept coaching whatever kids showed up at Prep , he went out and got his own. There was also a change in the Archdiocese in creating their own open enrollment within the PCL. It used to be a certain kid was an O’Hara kid or Judge kid as early as 5-6 grade and that kid was not actively recruited by any school. But the open enrollment changed the landscape , and the mindset for all PCL schools, and not necessarily for the good. O’Hara Ryan Judge are mere shadows of what they used to be because they can no longer rely on a pipeline of kids from the neighborhood CYO teams going to their school. They have to “ recruit “ just like Prep. So,it’s not the same prep as ever , nor is it the same pCL as ever . Do you see a time down the road where you might see the demise of the PCL because in virtually every sport( not just football ) , you see the same schools dominate , and if people from GV are tired of it , rest assured so are people from O’Hara and Judge.
So is it just the Prep or every Catholic speed? Youve bitched about OHara in the past. Accept the fact they are in. This bullshit of putting the Prep down right after the win is classless and the Central League is usually in the forfront. Stop your whining because it is. BTW.. we should give GV and rest of Central League a trophy because that’s what happens when losers bitch and we make them feel good. This is worst.

You're right about many things here, but it should be noted that the old feeder school system was unsustainable. Catholic schools and parishes began seriously shrinking in the '80s and '90s. Take the most striking example: Cardinal Dougherty had 6,000 students in the early 70's. It closed over 10 years ago after growing smaller and smaller. Roxy's right that the Prep has relied on family tradition where sons and brothers followed fathers and older brothers, but there simply are few families now like mine where all three boys went to the Prep. Of course some families had five or six boys go to the Prep.

Two other big developments. The Prep, beginning in the 60s with the decision to stay in the city after the fire, committed to RECRUITING more Black students. (I was a Saturday tutor to prepare such students for the entrance exam.) This had nothing to do with sports, but of course as football and basketball teams everywhere see greater proportions of Black players, there is an impact in that area. But note that the Prep environment was already fairly comfortable--maybe not completely comfortable--for Black students when the football program kicked into high gear in the 90s. The other big development was that the Prep, like other Catholic schools, began recruiting/accepting non-Catholic students in part because they had to and in part because they wanted to. I understand there have been Prep students from Jewish, Mormon, Protestant, and atheist families at the Prep for at least a couple of decades. You don't have to think too long to realize the difference this could make and has made in the student population. The Prep and other Catholic high schools maintain that this has not made them less essentially Catholic. If you had to rely on families that go to weekly mass, you couldn't get nearly enough students.

So is it just the Prep or every Catholic speed? Youve bitched about OHara in the past. Accept the fact they are in. This bullshit of putting the Prep down right after the win is classless and the Central League is usually in the forfront. Stop your whining because it is. BTW.. we should give GV and rest of Central League a trophy because that’s what happens when losers bitch and we make them feel good. This is worst.
Preps success is do to better recruiting. You put GV players with preps coaches and vise versa and guess what the games still a blow out. Prep goes out and gets Superior talent and it's BS. If preps a public school in the exact location they are in they would be irrelevant in football.

Reactions: BJMaher
Preps success is do to better recruiting. You put GV players with preps coaches and vise versa and that games still a blow out. Prep goes out and gets Superior talent and it's BS. If preps a public school in the exact location they are in they would be irrelevant in football.

Preps success is do to better recruiting. You put GV players with preps coaches and vise versa and guess what the games still a blow out. Prep goes out and gets Superior talent and it's BS. If preps a public school in the exact location they are in they would be irrelevant in football.
Most of their kids are from their backyard. Do they go out and recruit, of course but they can’t fill a roster with all kids from outside of their boundary.
Interesting fun fact I read from twitter. All td scores from sjp this past wknd was from their sophomore class with the exception of 1.

Nah. going for egregious 4th downs, no organization on special teams, and a gimmick offense. If you watched that game and thought the only gap was talent, then you're a blind person.

Nah. going for egregious 4th downs, no organization on special teams, and a gimmick offense. If you watched that game and thought the only gap was talent, then you're a blind person.
No it's talent. GV is very well coached by a 35 year vet. Huge huge gap in talent. You act like prep ran this complicated offence. Most all there scores were basic run and pass plays. Nothing tricky or complicated about it. They have super athletes. I think you'll see the piaa stepping in soon.

Last edited:
No it's talent. GV is very well coached by a 35 year vet. Huge huge gap in talent. You act like prep ran this complicated offence. Most all there scores were simple run plays. Nothing tricky about it.
whenever you can run your best athlete into the back of your guard from a 3 pt stance a few times before erasing him from the gameplan, you have to do it.

Reactions: Bighead75
Both “sides” can be correct. It is true that…
1. SJP recruits really good football players; in general, probably better than every other school (or 99.99%) in the state on an annual basis. It is unquestionably a major advantage and most likely a more decisive advantage than any boundary school can dream of (facilities, great booster club support, etc).
2. SJPs coaches do an outstanding job of coaching and preparing their players. It’s clear that the coaches and kids are very dedicated and work extremely hard to be successful. The hard work of the players and coaches shouldn’t be held against them.

Guys, I went and watched some 2021 SJP, GV and Coatesville. To me its obvious. Until either the schematic sophistication improves ALOT across the state, or any of the public schools have OVERWHELMING TALENT, its going to be hard to beat SJP this year or anytime in the next 2.

Before we even talk about players, what I see in these games is that there are lot of high school football programs that need to raise their game. Ya ya, I know its about Jimmy's and Joe's, but there is no way some of these teams have a chance doing what they do. Honestly, its the NA and PCC curse out here. Keep doing what you can do to be better than everyone else, but not good enough to compete at the highest level.

So, we can talk about recruiting and players and stuff, but the first thing that needs to happen is that the coaches need to adopt some things (eg modern offenses and defenses) that will give their kids a chance. Because until they do, the coaches at The Prep will just run circles around them.

Sorry to be so negative because I know all these coaches work a ton for these kids, but I stand by the comment that they need to up their X and O game before their jimmy's and joes have a chance.

PS: Someone said this early, but SJP DL (10/18/6/35) can't be much bigger than 240. But they are good looking, athletic kids.

No it's talent. GV is very well coached by a 35 year vet. Huge huge gap in talent. You act like prep ran this complicated offence. Most all there scores were basic run and pass plays. Nothing tricky or complicated about it. They have super athletes. I think you'll see the piaa stepping in soon.
The amount of kids that can't get into the prep would form an All-State team, many from their own backyard. I get you are upset that these public school teams currently are not competitive and it highlights how state champions before the Catholic League joined are lessened quite a bit, but they would certainly not be irrelevant in football.

Both “sides” can be correct. It is true that…
1. SJP recruits really good football players; in general, probably better than every other school (or 99.99%) in the state on an annual basis. It is unquestionably a major advantage and most likely a more decisive advantage than any boundary school can dream of (facilities, great booster club support, etc).
2. SJPs coaches do an outstanding job of coaching and preparing their players. It’s clear that the coaches and kids are very dedicated and work extremely hard to be successful. The hard work of the players and coaches shouldn’t be held against them.
Facilities? As in fields? Weight room is modest. The rest is all fair, especially about player development, as stated in a comment previously, these are 14 yo kids, they don’t show up as D1, they have been good players, but they put the work in to exceed.

Facilities? As in fields? Weight room is modest. The rest is all fair, especially about player development, as stated in a comment previously, these are 14 yo kids, they don’t show up as D1, they have been good players, but they put the work in to exceed.
Exactly. The weight room is modest at best, all hand me down equipment in a room the size of a classroom. Also suggesting that someone coming in as a freshman is a D1 player is so far off base it convinces me so many people have no idea what they are even talking about. If all these guys were transferring in with offers already I would understand. They think it is one way, but it is the other way.

Exactly. The weight room is modest at best, all hand me down equipment in a room the size of a classroom. Also suggesting that someone coming in as a freshman is a D1 player is so far off base it convinces me so many people have no idea what they are even talking about. If all these guys were transferring in with offers already I would understand. They think it is one way, but it is the other way.
Youre right, Marvin Harris Jr, Jeremiah trotter, and Kyle McCord, all just showed up at prep and who new they would of been great football players and future NFL stars. Prep really lucks out just grabbing these 8th graders and turning them into football players. I believe that 2013 team had 3 NFL players as well. Who would of guessed they would of been that good. Prep really lucks out.

Last edited:
Youre right, Marvin Harris Jr, Jeremiah trotter, and Kyle McCord, all just showed up at prep and who new they would of been great football players and future NFL stars. Prep really lucks out just grabbing these 8th graders and turning them into football players. I believe that 2013 team had 3 NFL players as well. Who would of guessed they would of been that good. Prep really lucks out.
Well, there are only 2 players from the Prep listed on the topo 50 players from Pa. in 2022/ Nelson and Harris. They must have really slipped this year and yet here they are again. Not coaching ????

None of the players you just listed started for the college team nor are they in the NFL.

Reactions: CYOBALL1
None of the players you just listed started for the college team nor are they in the NFL.
Oh but they will be. All top 50 players in the entire country but who would of known they would be good. Crazy luck prep has.

heard mccord was actually planning to move to GV to play for the legend- really wanted to run veer and midline 50x a game but a prep coach talked to him once and he flipped

cant believe a couple famous athletes with philadelphia roots sent their kids to the best program in philadelphia. someone should call the fbi on this one
It is funny how they all chose the same school and no one knew the would of been great. Some how prep just lucks out into these great athletes.

Remember that Harrison went to an Interac School for 8th grade, LaSalle as a freshman and then came to the Prep. Clearly he and his family were looking around for the best school for him. The Prep-Eagles connection began when Eagles coach Juan Castillo send his son Greg to the Prep. Andy Reid's son then followed, though that didn't work out so well. Runyon's son did very well at the Prep and has kept in touch. I'm sure the Prep didn't initiate the contact with the Trotters. The overall point is that increasingly promising players / their families have been seeking out the Prep for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Sorry Rox - I should’ve worded that better. I was saying the boundaries schools had advantages in facilities, weight room, etc. over SJP. But those advantages aren’t as important as talent. I should have been more clear.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Well, there are only 2 players from the Prep listed on the topo 50 players from Pa. in 2022/ Nelson and Harris. They must have really slipped this year and yet here they are again. Not coaching ????
Nelson played with my youngest son in little league. He was developed. Came in as a wr…. He played and was recruited as a db. Cooper was a qb coming into prep, he plays wr for temple. The list goes on and on.

Yeez, I totally agree, there was a few games this year when Prep was on the ropes and should loss but, in the end Prep out coached the other teams. The GV coaches going for it on 4th down in the first quarter on their own 30 was one dumbest moves I seen this year and down right disrespectful to the Prep.

i believe GV goes for it on 4th and 2 or less every time this year. It’s no disrespect to Prep at all. That’s part of the game plan. And despite not making it , Prep botched the snap on a FG attempt and gave GV the ball back in basically the same field position. It had absolutely no impact on the game.

Not a GV fan just don't think the philly/Delaware/jersey all star team should be playing in the piaa playoffs. I could care less who they beat.
Would it be an issue if they loss to Wood? If they wasn’t good but brought in kids from jersey everyone would be fine but since they are good it’s an issue. With all the kids from jersey only half play. So that means there’s kids from jersey who come and may never play or be all stars.

i believe GV goes for it on 4th and 2 or less every time this year. It’s no disrespect to Prep at all. That’s part of the game plan. And despite not making it , Prep botched the snap on a FG attempt and gave GV the ball back in basically the same field position. It had absolutely no impact on the game.
It might not had a impact but, you don't do that against a team like Prep or any other team in a Semifinal game. I guess GV thought Prep was just another district one team they could roll up on and put up 60 points . I also hear that other district one team where rooting for Prep in this game for plays just like that. You would think after 35 years or so you would know that.

Would it be an issue if they loss to Wood? If they wasn’t good but brought in kids from jersey everyone would be fine but since they are good it’s an issue. With all the kids from jersey only half play. So that means there’s kids from jersey who come and may never play or be all stars.
I'm still waiting for the list of players from Delaware on the Prep team.

Reactions: paul from philly
Big:
Im just saying it had no impact on the game If GV was playing Alabaman and it was 4th and 1-they are going for it. its automatic. And given the thrashing GV took, I just dont think it had any bearing on the outcome of the game.

Love the GV O and how that team is run. Sometimes you run into someone who is just bigger and badder that you. Like Prep tonight…

QB right and QB left doesn’t do much for me.

Last edited:
Where have you heard this? This would be a pretty big shock. When Ricci took his leave in 2014, Boyd filled in as head coach. He’s ran the offense for 16 years and was expected to be the next in line. Van Wyk has been an assistant and a freshman coach. He was the QB on the state championship team but I don’t see how that correlates to head coach when you look at the resume
As I stated a month ago, new Garnet valley coach is Eric Van Wyck. Official announcement has been made.

Reactions: bucksftball
BJ;

Are you happy with the hire? Will they run the same schemes, especially on offense?
Hey Speed, I honestly have no idea whether they'll run the same offense or anything about what their plans are. I would imagine things will probably remain the same as they've been extremely successful doing what they do. I am happy with the hire, as Eric is young and has grown up with the team for the last 15 years. Hopefully he can be successful for the next 30 years or so. If I hear of any thing interesting or significant, I'll share it. Happy holidays!

Reactions: HSFB99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT