ADVERTISEMENT

SJP - Garnet Valley

HSFB99

Oct 4, 2020
Well, let the chatter begin. I think this has a chance to be a classic. Similar to a lot of other GV games, I think we see a lot of points. I know SJP doesn’t have the “high-flying” offense of yesteryear, but I think they have the superior athletes to GV. Does anyone know the last time SJP has seen an offense like GV schematically? I’m not sure a single player on their roster has seen an offense like that, and we know it’s very difficult to simulate in practice. For those reasons (on top of GV being excellent), I think GV will put up some points. I’ll take GV in an upset, 42-38 Jags.

Last edited:
Well, let the chatter begin. I think this has a chance to be a classic. Similar to a lot of other GV games, I think we see a lot of points. I know SJP doesn’t have the “high-flying” offense of yesteryear, but I think they have the superior athletes to GV. Does anyone know the last time SJP has seen an offense like GV? I’m not sure a single player on their roster has seen an offense like that, and we know it’s very difficult to simulate in practice. For those reasons (on top of GV being excellent), I think GV will put up some points. I’ll take GV in an upset, 42-38 Jags.
HSFB99, I agree with your upset prediction. Nobody, and I mean nobody has slowed down the jags in any way this year. This is a very special team with a mission of getting coach Ricci a state title in his last year. I think the Jags pull off the upset 41-31!

HSFB99, I agree with your upset prediction. Nobody, and I mean nobody has slowed down the jags in any way this year. This is a very special team with a mission of getting coach Ricci a state title in his last year. I think the Jags pull off the upset 41-31!
I have no idea why the Prep should be the favorite based on the performances of the teams this year and on what I understand to be the injuries the Prep is dealing with. (I know Galllagher is out for GV.)

I have no idea why the Prep should be the favorite based on the performances of the teams this year and on what I understand to be the injuries the Prep is dealing with. (I know Galllagher is out for GV.)
I agree. Not saying The Prep can’t or won’t win, but I think after last night, GV goes in the slight favorite.

Reactions: BJMaher
GV dominated district one in every way this year. This is not one of preps best teams and a GV loss to prep says a lot about the quality of football in district one.

Do we think GV have seen the athletes and speed of SJP? I like a high scoring game. Whoever gets the most stops win.
Nothing slow about Ridley and Coatesville! Just the opposite. I don't think G-Val winning is an upset.

Exeter wasn't supposed to do anything vs Mifflin according to some pundits despite having a fine team. Best I've seen. Wouldn't have called for the outright but they're a very potent group.

I don't know if that was Freedom's best but know from limited vids and stats they are a good team, at least in my view they're a VERY good team. I mentioned that to Rover wondering why they weren't getting more acknowledgments, hype,,,,something. Could be wrong.

Will say it's real easy buying into hype then stretching it to a level of invincibility. I'm guilty of that with some past CD and Harrisburg teams.

It should be a good one. I know gv have the high powered offense. I also know sjp have the young guys all over. I was in attendance at gv/qtown. Sjp could very well score everytime down along with GV. Which defense will hold up the longest.

I don't know if that was Freedom's best but know from limited vids and stats they are a good team, at least in my view they're a VERY good team. I mentioned that to Rover wondering why they weren't getting more acknowledgments, hype,,,,something. Could be wrong.
Freedom wasn’t getting hype because they had two losses and were the 3rd place team in the EPC. Well coached, solid team that played their ass off last night, but not a team I’d put amongst the best in the EPC during the SJP run (2019 Nazareth is actually who I wish had a crack at a more mortal SJP). And when your league has won two state playoff games since 2008, they’re not getting any hype until they can beat SJP, and probably more than once.

Reactions: Bighead75
I think GV wins with an offense no one has stopped stacked with under rated players; but sum still greater than parts. Quite a team. Couldn't think of a more favorable setting at Ridley tho SJP has some area support; not like they're from a distance land, plus the familiarity via Widener. But it is a Central League site where the locals will come out. Maybe SRO, definitely a crowd!

I think GV wins with an offense no one has stopped stacked with under rated players; but sum still greater than parts. Quite a team. Couldn't think of a more favorable setting at Ridley tho SJP has some area support; not like they're from a distance land, plus the familiarity via Widener. But it is a Central League site where the locals will come out. Maybe SRO, definitely a crowd!
Some may question “no one”?

Lost me on that one RCH, averaging 49 a game lowest 38 vs LMerion; who is the "no one?" that stopped the offense?
Garnet valley pulled its starters in the middle of the second quarter of the Lower Merion game. They would have put up 70 if they played starters a full game.

Garnet valley pulled its starters in the middle of the second quarter of the Lower Merion game. They would have put up 70 if they played starters a full game.
Right, they do that often. Ok RCH, got it.

From what I understand, GV has now played their starters for the full game 4 times:

Ridley - scored 65
CB West - 41
QTown - 58
Coatesville - 54

54.5 points per game against the best teams they played, which is even more impressive.

The reason I agree that it's not true triple option, which you can certainly run out of their formations, is that in triple option you're not blocking both the DT and the DE. I don't think I've ever seen them do that. I also think it's an over simplification that stopping Reynolds on the outside is the key. They can give him the ball inside on dive and double dive also. It's a system offense that will take what you give them. Is Reynolds the difference maker compared to past years? Yes. In past years they would bleed you to death with dive and double dive over and over and wear you down. Reynolds (and some of their other athletes) now give them big play potential where once they figure out what you're doing, they can score points in a hurry. He puts your safety (or safeties) in an uncomfortable position of having to take a perfect angle on run or they're not catching him. If they're too quick to react to a run read, and again they better be quick or Reynolds won't be caught, they'll beat you over the top.

Reactions: BJMaher and Stalker
All the pressure in this game is on Garnet Valley. Prep is playing with house money. They have already won a million championships and are down this season by their standards. D1 hasn't won a title in 18 years and really hasn't been close since. If not this year, then when? I am not getting any younger.

From what I understand, GV has now played their starters for the full game 4 times:

Ridley - scored 65
CB West - 41
QTown - 58
Coatesville - 54

54.5 points per game against the best teams they played, which is even more impressive.

The reason I agree that it's not true triple option, which you can certainly run out of their formations, is that in triple option you're not blocking both the DT and the DE. I don't think I've ever seen them do that. I also think it's an over simplification that stopping Reynolds on the outside is the key. They can give him the ball inside on dive and double dive also. It's a system offense that will take what you give them. Is Reynolds the difference maker compared to past years? Yes. In past years they would bleed you to death with dive and double dive over and over and wear you down. Reynolds (and some of their other athletes) now give them big play potential where once they figure out what you're doing, they can score points in a hurry. He puts your safety (or safeties) in an uncomfortable position of having to take a perfect angle on run or they're not catching him. If they're too quick to react to a run read, and again they better be quick or Reynolds won't be caught, they'll beat you over the top.
Very well said!

GV enrollment numbers for The next cycle put them in 5A. They are presently the smallest 6a school in the state. 5A might actually be a more competitive, deeper , stronger class than 6a
GV is actually the 5th smallest 6A in the state with enrollment of 602. Lower Marion is the smallest with an enrollment of 588. Plymouth Whitemarsh is the largest 5A with an enrollment of 586. Garnet valley went down to about 582 for the new 2 years which they'll be in 5A.

Yes , I think they already committed to 5A. Any news on who the new hire might be ? Boyd?
New coach will be Eric Van wyck. He's the coach of the freshman team now. He was also the quarterback for the Jags in 07' when they lost the 3A State finals to Thomas Jefferson.

I wonder if they'll merge 5 and 6A since the 6A list is dwindling.
That would be awesome. In district 12 it would guarantee some of the games we want to see every yr. Sjp/Imhotep ,lasalle, wood,& others. The playoffs would be really good. It wouldn’t last long Bc of the complaints.

I just read this article where it quotes GV coach complaining about the boundary/ non boundary thing again. It always pops up this time of year with prep in the semis.

I just read this article where it quotes GV coach complaining about the boundary/ non boundary thing again. It always pops up this time of year with prep in the semis.

Why would he provide bulletin board material this late in the wk. Sheesh

Reactions: Stalker
Why would he provide bulletin board material this late in the wk. Sheesh
That is confusing to me as well. I think a lot of teams/people think it is their chance to knock off The Prep with their inconsistent offense and defense. However, the level of talent they have is still so much better than everywhere else if it all clicks together they could roll. The Prep has played some bad weather games recently and that is one of the best equalizers in football. This weekend it shouldn't be an issue.

New coach will be Eric Van wyck. He's the coach of the freshman team now. He was also the quarterback for the Jags in 07' when they lost the 3A State finals to Thomas Jefferson.
Where have you heard this? This would be a pretty big shock. When Ricci took his leave in 2014, Boyd filled in as head coach. He’s ran the offense for 16 years and was expected to be the next in line. Van Wyk has been an assistant and a freshman coach. He was the QB on the state championship team but I don’t see how that correlates to head coach when you look at the resume

To me, this game has all the feel of being an instant classic. I cant help but think of North Penn vs LaSalle in the Eastern Final at Plymouth Whitemarsh. Hopefully as fans we will be as lucky on Saturday as we were on that cold day in 2010

Reactions: paul from philly
Where have you heard this? This would be a pretty big shock. When Ricci took his leave in 2014, Boyd filled in as head coach. He’s ran the offense for 16 years and was expected to be the next in line. Van Wyk has been an assistant and a freshman coach. He was the QB on the state championship team but I don’t see how that correlates to head coach when you look at the resume
I'm not going to divulge where I got my info from but I'm extremely comfortable saying Van wyck will be the coach. It's really not a secret around those who follow the team. Really doesn't matter today or this week, let's wait till the season's over and I'm sure an announcement will be made.

To me, this game has all the feel of being an instant classic. I cant help but think of North Penn vs LaSalle in the Eastern Final at Plymouth Whitemarsh. Hopefully as fans we will be as lucky on Saturday as we were on that cold day in 2010
Best football game I ever saw!! Rock em sock em for the entire game. My son played in that game and he said if it hadn't been for the final North Penn turnover, they would have scored. He said the defense was spent!!

Reactions: newport
Ridley HS announced they’re expecting over 5000+ attendees for the game tonight. Should be an amazing atmosphere tonight!

Reactions: HSFB99
Easy money....Bama and G-Val. Right?! Best of luck to all and heck yeh PAFootball2012, it'll be SRO.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT