ADVERTISEMENT

SJP 2023 Schedule

tulla

Oct 27, 2004
From this site: https://highschoolfootballamerica.c...otball-schedules-for-top-programs-in-america/ I learned that SJP will play St. Peter's Prep at home (not sure what that means) on September 2 and an away game against Bosco in North Jersey on Sept. 15. SJP has already announced a game in Ocean City against IMG in the last weekend of August. That would seem to leave the second weekend of September as the only one where they could make the one "long trip" they usually make each year to play a top program from another region. I know there's been speculation that they could go to Las Vegas to play Bishop Gorman, but this story from last month makes me wonder if that's still a possibility: https://www.reviewjournal.com/nevad...ignment-plan-targets-gaels-dominance-2720986/

From this site: https://highschoolfootballamerica.c...otball-schedules-for-top-programs-in-america/ I learned that SJP will play St. Peter's Prep at home (not sure what that means) on September 2 and an away game against Bosco in North Jersey on Sept. 15. SJP has already announced a game in Ocean City against IMG in the last weekend of August. That would seem to leave the second weekend of September as the only one where they could make the one "long trip" they usually make each year to play a top program from another region. I know there's been speculation that they could go to Las Vegas to play Bishop Gorman, but this story from last month makes me wonder if that's still a possibility: https://www.reviewjournal.com/nevad...ignment-plan-targets-gaels-dominance-2720986/
Now that is a schedule!!

Thanks tulla and too bad about Gorman's situation locally. It would have been a awesome game. Awesome!
The nice thing about our location that satisfies the condition of "long trip" is there are teams that fit in terms of travel costs and familiarity nearby; teams fans and others may relate to. DC, Balt-Md privates etc.
There's another group of power teams in New York state and north if the Hawk's ever care to explore that potential. Fortunately, the Jersey teams have no fear and welcome a challenge.

Last edited:
Thanks tulla and too bad about Gorman's situation locally. It would have been a awesome game. Awesome!
The nice thing about our location that satisfies the condition of "long trip" is there are teams that fit in terms of travel costs and familiarity nearby; teams fans and others may relate to. DC, Balt-Md privates etc.
There's another group of power teams in New York state and north if the Hawk's ever care to explore that potential. Fortunately, the Jersey teams have no fear and welcome a challenge.
Stalk -

Prep has played all the NJ power schools (Bosco, Bergen, St Joe Regional, SPP) over decades now. It makes sense, but scheduling can be an issue. They’ve also done a number of NY schools, but none recently other than Erasmus Hall. Ohio (St Ed, St Ignatius, Xavier) was a nice visit for a while and Prep has played teams from DC, MD, VA and the Herbstreit showcase in WV. I’m not sure why they haven’t ventured to New England states. The ‘distance’ trips (FL, TX, GA, CA, LA, IL) have only been over last 10/12 years, Not everyone loves it, but it’s an experience for the kids. The biggest issue is that many of these teams do not honor the reciprocity of their two year deal and don’t come east or north. I think many folks would be fine keeping the games within a days drive. We’ll see what happens.

I read Paul V1 from NJ will play Saint Thomas Aquinas the same weekend as the IMG/Prep game in Ocean City NJ. Is Paul V1 ready for that ??

I read Paul V1 from NJ will play Saint Thomas Aquinas the same weekend as the IMG/Prep game in Ocean City NJ. Is Paul V1 ready for that ??
No. They're a pretty good south Jersey team, but the most telling result from last year was a loss (45-13?) to St. Joe's Regional. They may be trying to use this game to help get the program to the next level, but STA is on another level altogether.

Stalk -

Prep has played all the NJ power schools (Bosco, Bergen, St Joe Regional, SPP) over decades now. It makes sense, but scheduling can be an issue. They’ve also done a number of NY schools, but none recently other than Erasmus Hall. Ohio (St Ed, St Ignatius, Xavier) was a nice visit for a while and Prep has played teams from DC, MD, VA and the Herbstreit showcase in WV. I’m not sure why they haven’t ventured to New England states. The ‘distance’ trips (FL, TX, GA, CA, LA, IL) have only been over last 10/12 years, Not everyone loves it, but it’s an experience for the kids. The biggest issue is that many of these teams do not honor the reciprocity of their two year deal and don’t come east or north. I think many folks would be fine keeping the games within a days drive. We’ll see what happens.
Thanks Roxy. Hard beating the proximity satisfaction of a one-day trip, especially as it gets you to high end Jersey comp. They have it worked out pretty good with them, DC-Balt and occasional forays down south.
As much as the players do for the school, its odd anyone would object to a trip to FL, TX, GA etc. Probably non-football players that would do that kind of complaining not knowing what you go through as a player. Give them that reward that is well deserved. Earned!

That would be great. Wilmington is 15-20 minutes south of the airport via I-95. Close! No trouble for 'locals' getting there.

That's a beautiful place. Did some desk top support for Dupont back in the day and always enjoyed the Wilmington sites with good restaurants everywhere. Ok parking. Big venue!
McDevitt D-12 played at Saliesianum back in the mid 60s and got whacked. The Sallies were quite a power back then. McD brought 20 bus loads of fans to watch us get slaughtered LOL.

Looks like Prep has also scheduled an away game at Lakeland, Fl this year on top of all the other high profile games. One of the tougher schedules, on paper at least, that I can remember seeing from a Pa team.

Looks like Prep has also scheduled an away game at Lakeland, Fl this year on top of all the other high profile games. One of the tougher schedules, on paper at least, that I can remember seeing from a Pa team.
Here's the schedule:

Yes, scrimmage against St. John's (DC), then IMG, St. Peter's Prep, Lakeland, Bosco, and the usual four league games (LaSalle, Judge, Roman, and Wood) with a game at Archbishop Spalding thrown in during October.

This is from the link at the very top of this post that started this thread. This is before the Lakeland game was agreed to. Also, Lakeland is sitting 1 spot above SJP in this particular ranking/article/website

2022 No. 19 St. Joseph’s Prep (Pennsylvania)​

August 26 – vs. No. 8 IMG Academy (Florida) at Ocean City, New Jersey

September 2 – vs. No. 161 St. Peter’s Prep (New Jersey) in MFC Classic at Salesianum HS in Delaware

September 15 – at No. 51 Don Bosco Prep (New Jersey)

October 7 – vs. La Salle College HS at Franklin Field at University of Pennsylvania

October 13 – vs. Father Judge

October 20 – at No. 121 Archbishop Spalding (Maryland)

Insanity. I would like to see SJP keep their starters in for the state championship game this upcoming season. I have no doubt they could put 100 on the board against Harrisburg or PCC

This is from the link at the very top of this post that started this thread. This is before the Lakeland game was agreed to. Also, Lakeland is sitting 1 spot above SJP in this particular ranking/article/website

2022 No. 19 St. Joseph’s Prep (Pennsylvania)​

August 26 – vs. No. 8 IMG Academy (Florida) at Ocean City, New Jersey

September 2 – vs. No. 161 St. Peter’s Prep (New Jersey) in MFC Classic at Salesianum HS in Delaware

September 15 – at No. 51 Don Bosco Prep (New Jersey)

October 7 – vs. La Salle College HS at Franklin Field at University of Pennsylvania

October 13 – vs. Father Judge

October 20 – at No. 121 Archbishop Spalding (Maryland)
A good time to play Lakeland with Coach Castle retiring (47 years!) and a new Qb. Still, they'll throw a pile of great athletes at you prioritized a super-fast offense with a few bombs keeping you honest. Actually, I don't know what in hell I'm talking about with a new coach. I'm imagining he won't stray too far from what got them there.

wow- this is crazy- ok, i "can't not" question this- this is a different level team, different program, that seems to follow "many different rules" that should not be playing in playoffs against PA public school teams. I just don't understand- is this partly a by-product of D12? How is a HS team able to "choose" half their schedule? Most PA teams would not be "allowed" to do this. Prior to "week zero" starting like 5-6 years ago, schools in D7/WPIAL, I'm pretty sure were allowed to pick none of their opponents!? Does D12 allow this, therefore SJP has more flexibility? Does D12 have ANY rules?? And, again, another factor is the school likely has different rules of it's own- most PA public schools have too many rules and restrictions to allow a team to play a "national schedule."

Again, im a PR guy- I agree w the "best playing the best" and I still it's great PA has at least one "national caliber team" but jeez- this schedule just seems crazy- just seems so unlikely any other team has a chance to win a state title at 6A if this trend continues- all other schools following the "old rules" and SJP following it's "own rules." What i am suggesting- is this is not fair- im not saying "kick out SJP" but how about freeing up rules for other HSs to do stuff like this??

wow- this is crazy- ok, i "can't not" question this- this is a different level team, different program, that seems to follow "many different rules" that should not be playing in playoffs against PA public school teams. I just don't understand- is this partly a by-product of D12? How is a HS team able to "choose" half their schedule? Most PA teams would not be "allowed" to do this. Prior to "week zero" starting like 5-6 years ago, schools in D7/WPIAL, I'm pretty sure were allowed to pick none of their opponents!? Does D12 allow this, therefore SJP has more flexibility? Does D12 have ANY rules?? And, again, another factor is the school likely has different rules of it's own- most PA public schools have too many rules and restrictions to allow a team to play a "national schedule."

Again, im a PR guy- I agree w the "best playing the best" and I still it's great PA has at least one "national caliber team" but jeez- this schedule just seems crazy- just seems so unlikely any other team has a chance to win a state title at 6A if this trend continues- all other schools following the "old rules" and SJP following it's "own rules." What i am suggesting- is this is not fair- im not saying "kick out SJP" but how about freeing up rules for other HSs to do stuff like this??
The difference in D12 or at least the PCL is that there are only five schools in the "big school" division--thus only four league games that have to be played, which is very different from, say, D1. So it's not that SJP plays by different rules. It's that D12 is a very different for structural and demographic reasons.

2020: The WPIAL is the only district that schedules all the teams games. I think any school in any other district could create the same sort of schedule. Its a WPIAL deal that prevents this.

Reactions: lilromeo
I also dont think alot of Pa teams are exactly lining up to play Prep in the regular season so they have to find other options to fill out their schedule

Reactions: lilromeo and new2pa
This is likely the toughest schedule SJP have ever pursued. Every point on this thread has some validity with the exception of the 100 point comment and the reality is that there are multiple compounding factors. The most obvious is the league is limited on the large school spectrum of PCL. Also, it is a challenge to find games. It could all change quickly as the enrollment at catholic schools continues with the decline of less kids playing football. Prep has always moved in it’s own direction, but can’t control these external, extenuating factors. Maybe Artificial Intelligence will figure it out, but then again, we have a fair amount of that on this board already.

• Haha
Reactions: Stalker
Artificial Intelligence will figure it out!!!!!

AI to the rescue!!!!

Ha!
A few thoughts:

It looks like every game the Prep plays this year will be in a different location: Ocean City, Wilmington, Lakeland FL, Ramsay NJ (Bosco), Tennant (Wood), Franklin Field (LaSalle), wherever Roman plays its home games, suburban DC (Spalding), and probably O'Hara for the Judge game. That makes the schedule that little bit more formidable.

Biggest challenge for the Prep will probably be along its offensive line. Only two of six starters from last year are returning. I'm sure they'll be fine by playoff time, but those first four games will be an early test.

2020: The WPIAL is the only district that schedules all the teams games. I think any school in any other district could create the same sort of schedule. Its a WPIAL deal that prevents this.
SOL teams in District 1 have 9 games scheduled by the league, only week 0 is open.

Reactions: new2pa
A few thoughts:

It looks like every game the Prep plays this year will be in a different location: Ocean City, Wilmington, Lakeland FL, Ramsay NJ (Bosco), Tennant (Wood), Franklin Field (LaSalle), wherever Roman plays its home games, suburban DC (Spalding), and probably O'Hara for the Judge game. That makes the schedule that little bit more formidable.

Biggest challenge for the Prep will probably be along its offensive line. Only two of six starters from last year are returning. I'm sure they'll be fine by playoff time, but those first four games will be an early test.
Is there any discussion about the Prep constructing its own stadium somewhere in Philly ??

Is there any discussion about the Prep constructing its own stadium somewhere in Philly ??
lil, Can't see it happening for many reasons, mostly having to do with cost and location. I've done some wishful thinking about the PCL using some land the Archdiocese has (maybe where Hallahan was or one of the closed parishes) for a field with seats for a few thousand were SJP, Roman, WC, and N-G could play, but 1) the Archdiocese is desperate for money from land sales and 2) most of the sites would not be suitable because they're too small or in places where people would not want to go to, at least at night, or there's almost no parking, etc.

The Prep's advantage in drawing students from all over the Philly area is a real disadvantage when it comes to attendance at football games. P-W worked OK for a while--but not for students (most of whom aren't old enough to drive and may not have regular access to a car even if they do) from, say, Jersey or the Northeast or South Philly. Franklin Field has been fine for the games against LaSalle in the last couple of years, but they've been lucky with the weather, etc.

Reactions: lilromeo
lil, Can't see it happening for many reasons, mostly having to do with cost and location. I've done some wishful thinking about the PCL using some land the Archdiocese has (maybe where Hallahan was or one of the closed parishes) for a field with seats for a few thousand were SJP, Roman, WC, and N-G could play, but 1) the Archdiocese is desperate for money from land sales and 2) most of the sites would not be suitable because they're too small or in places where people would not want to go to, at least at night, or there's almost no parking, etc.

The Prep's advantage in drawing students from all over the Philly area is a real disadvantage when it comes to attendance at football games. P-W worked OK for a while--but not for students (most of whom aren't old enough to drive and may not have regular access to a car even if they do) from, say, Jersey or the Northeast or South Philly. Franklin Field has been fine for the games against LaSalle in the last couple of years, but they've been lucky with the weather, etc.
Thanks Tulla. I just thought I would ask since many of the top schools including the catholic ones have their own facility. The Prep is certainly deserving. Ohara just doesnt cut it . Villanova would be great imo

Thanks Tulla. I just thought I would ask since many of the top schools including the catholic ones have their own facility. The Prep is certainly deserving. Ohara just doesnt cut it . Villanova would be great imo
lil, as you know, attendance at nearly all PCL games has been low for quite a while. I don't think it matters, for instance, where SJP plays Roman, Wood, or Judge. There aren't going to be more than 1,000 people there and there may not be 500. So having to pay Villanova the what-I-understand-to-be high price for stadium rental would be like burning money. SJP-LaSalle is a different story, but maybe it won't always be so and maybe not if, say, the weather is bad.

The name of the game now is media coverage. The Ocean City site for the Prep-IMG game tells you a lot. I'm not sure you can get more than about 1,500 into that facility, but the ocean, the beach, and the ferris wheel in the background must work for ESPN.

Same for the games in Wilmington. If that works, it's because they managed to get a streaming service to pay enough for rights. If there are 1,500 people in the stands for SJP-St. Peter's Prep, I'll be surprised.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
SJP. Not a real high school. Again pa needs to allow choice transfer

lil, as you know, attendance at nearly all PCL games has been low for quite a while. I don't think it matters, for instance, where SJP plays Roman, Wood, or Judge. There aren't going to be more than 1,000 people there and there may not be 500. So having to pay Villanova the what-I-understand-to-be high price for stadium rental would be like burning money. SJP-LaSalle is a different story, but maybe it won't always be so and maybe not if, say, the weather is bad.

The name of the game now is media coverage. The Ocean City site for the Prep-IMG game tells you a lot. I'm not sure you can get more than about 1,500 into that facility, but the ocean, the beach, and the ferris wheel in the background must work for ESPN.

Same for the games in Wilmington. If that works, it's because they managed to get a streaming service to pay enough for rights. If there are 1,500 people in the stands for SJP-St. Peter's Prep, I'll be surprised.
I look for a rejuvenation somehow of HS football in this area and thought maybe a nice venue and some home games against out of state competition could help get media support and in turn people in the seats. I know a pipe dream. PCC,McD ECp seem to do ok with attendance as well as Don Boscoe and the teams up north and of course Aquinas,Bishop Gorman and those west coast powers. Oh well ,Ocean City here I come.

"Fake" implies some sort of deception or misrepresentation. Please tell us, from Allegheny County, where the deception / misrepresentation is in the Prep's football program.
phew... Tulia- gotta clarify- Tiger's messages do NOT "speak for" Western PA, Pittsburgh or Allegheny County!!

There are lots of schools similar in s western PA- just not nearly as "big" and successful.

SJP is not doing anything wrong, not fake- they are following their rules- just different rules than most of the schools in PA

Reactions: lilromeo and new2pa
LoL - you’re laughable - only been around since 1851 - you sound jealous - get them on your schedule if you’re so outspoken
I think that PA needs to wake up and have choice transfer. This would even some things out. And son you don't have enough dirt on your cleats to talk to me like that, So just relax

I think that PA needs to wake up and have choice transfer. This would even some things out. And son you don't have enough dirt on your cleats to talk to me like that, So just relax
Sammy, you can't say--from North Carolina--that SJP is not a real high school and then complain about and patronize ("son") another poster for objecting.

You must be really old - Don’t give it if you can’t take it - take your Geritol and don’t forget your depends

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT