ADVERTISEMENT

Saint Joseph's Prep vs. Pennsbury

PABasketball

Dec 5, 2001
I do not know how the game will play out, but I am predicting a great week on this message board. Between Pennsbury's fans, their "fans", the public vs private, the recruiting talk, the SJP loyalists, those who have no dog in the fight but can't stomach to see either team win...

I think we are in for an entertaining week.

This post was edited on 11/29 3:50 PM by PABasketball

district one teams are weak, prep by 4 scores. Pine Richland had to work to get by a .500 team. If they make it past next week Prep as I predicted 6 months ago will win big, running clock.

All we know, I think, is what Reid tweeted earlier in the week after he got the diagnosis and presumably a prognosis: that he's hoping he can return by the end of the season. A photo taken at the school on Tuesday suggested he's not on crutches when standing.

I listened to the game today and it certainly sounded like they missed him on both sides of the ball: dropped passes by Prep wide receivers and difficulties with coverage on defense, though it sounded like the secondary came up big the last two times Parkland had the ball. SJP was also clearly missing Tom Johnson. Last year and this year SJP's defense played much better when Johnson returned from injuries. He and Reid were the two juniors last year who were among the team's co-captains.

Doubt #25 will be back this year. He covered a ton of ground, and with the safety out as well, it showed. Even with the starters that remain, there are obvious dings. SJP has clearly 'lost a step'. This is an interesting matchup. SJP is definitely not invulnerable. Based on what I've read, PB plays smash mouth run ball. It could be a war of attrition. Unfortunately, I will be out of town. Should be a good one.

Remember reading threads about how terrible Snyder is???? Well they're in the big one. Where's all the armchair qbs? The real question is, will he accomplish what Shmidt couldn't get done last season? Good Luck Pennsbury

The only big one is in Hershey for the state championship, everything else is on the way there.

At Prep-Parkland game, my observations:

Parkland game plan superb, the only way was the passing game, outside of one long busted 3rd and 1 most Trojan yds. via the air.

I was wrong, didn't think Parkland could/would exploit Reid's D absence, they did!! Continually went after his sub including many crosses.
I doubt Pennsbury will duplicate as they just don't throw, not their game, when they do it's very awkward. My sense is Prep is stout enough with their front seven to limit PB's vaunted running game. We'll see..

Even w/o Reid, Prep too many O big play makers. Game winner with less than 5 mins. to go perfect example. Swift gets behind safety, easy over the top TD. Prep/Clements showed nice poise when they got behind and game in the balance. After the final Swift score, labored D and front 4 sealed deal with great pressure, Strain again showed his mettle.

Credit to Parkland for spirited effort, unless Pennsbury's Snyder has an epiphany next week's game will have totally different mode. IMO..

Roxy,
Prep fan attendance much better than expected but still only ~ 50% of Parkland side.
Venue for Eastern final (it's D1 turn), Truman best site?? Big stadium, turf, closer to Pennsbury proper. Has it been announced yet?
Reid not dressed on crutches, non weight-bearing. Significance unknown.

I feel PB has a shot
Snorweah is unreal talent
Pollard not as fast as Snorweah
2 years in a row Prep will see a team that
Is Qb challenged

Pb overall is a faster team then Nesh was last
Year

2 more weeks to the Big game though

@Demodick you think this year's PB team is faster than last year's Neshaminy team? I don't.

How does this year's SJP compare to last seaons? No Martin. That's a huge factor.

Well, Schmidt won 3 D1 titles, 2 eastern titles and one state championship, Pennsbury still has not been to Hershey. We'll see if that changes next week.

I think snorweah has a gear pollard did not

As far as rest of team
It is questionable

This post was edited on 11/29 8:16 PM by Demodick

Next week sounds like the kind of game where they could really use Johnson.

LS9er ... I don't know that's why I asked. A team like SJP can get by without a Martin until a point. I haven't seen them this year to know how this year's SJP team stacks up to last years.

Last year's Pennsbury QB was more of a threat than this year's QB, yet they've gone further in the playoffs.

Don't get defensive over a simple question.

Demodick ... didn't Snorweah chase down Pollard in last year's game? Holding Neshaminy to a FG there was huge.
This post was edited on 11/29 8:34 PM by reluctant_to_comment

YM3-

Totally agree with game assessment. As far as #25, it is a deep bone bruise, nothing structural from what I was told. He's had a great highschool career, but I highly doubt he plays again this year and he shouldn't, he's earned his opportunity at the next level and therefore he needs to fully recover - imo.

We'll disagree on the fan count ironically. I actually viewed from each side and it was well beyond 50% of PL. Their band took up a ton. Not sure how that factors in.??

Regardless, it' will be a test to the end.

Charles is playing great with over 1,000 yards in the playoffs alone… along with Galen's post season experience I can see Pennsbury winning a game over a banged up prep team

Penns...fan

The present Prep QB is completely different from Martin. He is a very patient pocket passer with a pretty solid arm. He is probably approaching 2000 yards with 23-24 TD passes. He may have completed 4 games the entire season before they pull him out of one sided games so his number are deceiving. He manages the game well but doesn't run a lot but can when needed. He is definitely not as mobile as Martin but there wasn't much of a drop off in the passing game. I think we'll keep him for a couple more games.

This post was edited on 11/29 9:25 PM by 2loudNclear

Neshaminy O line was far and away superior than this Pennsbury line and as far as defense goes it's not even close, they skins take that as well.

Pennsbury OL is big, but everything is so predictable.

OL sits back in their stances SOO bad when they pull so... What to do defensively?

Either have your DTs get in 2 techniques and absolutely tell them to blow up the guards or have the ILB read the guards and DO NOT look in the backfield. Looking in the backfield versus wing T will get you lost. Follow guards and be successful.

I would play a Cover 2 Spy look. MAKE PENNSBURY THROW!!!

Have your safety on Snorweah (sp?) spying the entire time. Cover 2 with your corners and your OLB have the flats. ILB read guards all night.

Regardless, SJP will win even if they do not follow this method.

But pennsburys D-Line is playing very well and line backers like Luke Snyder and Daulton Hose getting at the quarterback very well, also neshaminy line didn't hold up very well since they haven't score a touchdown on Pennsbury in the last 3 years…

Mr. All American ...you can't make Pennsbury throw. It just doesn't happen, even if it should happen. Snyder will live and die by the run. It defies all logic!

You can make them throw if you stuff the run by reading guards, getting penetration, and playing with a spy on their best player.

I have seen it done versus wing T teams.

Spy on their top back...

If the ILB read the guards they go to the play regardless... Wing T the guards always go to the ball carrier, there are zero false pulls in his playbook. It doesn't matter who is running back.

If your guard blocks down, you fill (almost like a blitz)

If your guard pulls, you shuffle and follow. It is that simple. Plus you have your OLB playing contain and taking on the pullers to spill the play to the ILBs.

Then, just in case, you have a spy on their top back in case he is THAT good to break all of those tackle.

You do not blitz against Wing T.

Pennsbury can't fall behind. They need to own the LOS. They'll probably need more than 21 points to win (Assuming nothing overly crazy in terms of weather).

I see this as a bad matchup for Pennsbury. Sometimes styles make for good games and this is a style match better suited for Coatesvilee than pennsbury. I cannot see st joes losing to a one dimentionsl team.

Congratulations to Pennsbury and Coach Snyder for a job well done and their great season. Certainly proved me wrong.
In August, I felt that Pennnsbury could have gone this far in the playoffs. However, never did I think they could do it without throwing the ball more than 4 times a game. Snyder is convicted in his ways, and obviously he has his reasons for doing so.

There is a saying, "In god we trust, all others bring data."

Well, based on that premise Pennsbury during Snyder's tenure, is 0 and 5 against District 11 competition. His teams having lost 4 games to Easton from 2010 to 2013, and in 2006 losing to Liberty 45-38 in the eastern final. That is a combined score of 173 to 93, or a 5 game average of 34.6 to 18.6 per game. On the other hand the PCL 4A teams have owned District 11 having yet to lose to D11 over a six year span from '09 to '14. the combined six year total is 163 to 101, or an average of 27.2 to 18.6 per game.

Suffice it to say that SJP certainly is the favorite going into Saturday. For the Hawks it will be a 180 degree turn in styles going from Parkland's Devante Cross (23-46 283 yards, 4 TDs, 1 int) to Snyder's ground and pound method.

Where as for the Falcons they go from facing 13 pass attempts against 7 completions from CV's Jordan Young to the highly effective SJP's Jack Clements who against Parkland was 11 of 20 for 266 and 4 TD's.

I see this game being eerily similar to last year's eastern final with SJP coming out on top in a hard fought game to the end, winning 31-21.

Funny thing is both these schools recruit from both sides of the river, lol..

This post was edited on 11/30 10:08 AM by Patton2Moscow

maa

Read guards - yes
You're scheme doesn't sound like cover 2, more like cover 3 without middle safety

This post was edited on 11/30 10:18 AM by Burgundynewz

Re: maa

Yes. You are making it look like 3 deep but it's only 2 since you are having corners play the 2 deep and the OLB having the flats. A team like Pennsbury runs those high low routes so it is perfect in case they do throw the ball. Also works against waggle routes because QB will think he has flat but doesn't ir he thinks he will have his RB but he will be manned up.

Read guards by inside line backers. It will work.

If they are in a true slot the OLB will run with a wheel. If they are in a 1 by 1 position next to OT then play it normal and corner will play between deep route and wheel (this play would take too long to execute against a team like SJP)

If Snorweah is guy running wheel then you have safety manned on him, a man in flat, and a man playing deep half.

That's where you lose me
I would never have my contain/force guy run with wheel.

It's called a conflict

That's not the case at all. I've posted over 7,000 times the last dozen years and aside from a general admiration of the strength and quality of its program, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anything I've said that's overly positive about SJP

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT