ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-Season PA Top 10

WpialHSFB

Nov 30, 2010
Getting closer and closer to the season. I see a lot of very talented team this year. Here is my list, but certianly open to criticism, other ideas. Just looking for some football talk!

1) Pittsburgh Central Catholic
2) Parkland
3) Imhotep
4) Woodland Hills
5) Bishop McDevitt
6) Archbishop Wood
7) St. Joes Prep
8) Wilson
9) Central Dauphin
10) Penn Trafford

Wpial,
I have a West and East rating but no “State” yet. Not a big deal but I don’t mix classes so here’s how I see the West. I Parkland # 1 in the East followed by SJP.

West
  1. Central Dauphin
  2. Central Catholic
  3. Wilson
  4. Penn Trafford
  5. North Allegheny
  6. Woodland Hills
  7. Pine Richland
  8. Central Dauphin East
  9. Penn Hills
  10. State College
  11. McKeesport
  12. Cedar Cliff
  13. USC
  14. Cumberland Valley
  15. Mount Lebanon
  16. Lower Dauphin
  17. Manheim Township
  18. Bethel Park
  19. South Western
  20. Hempfield-Landisville

Wpial,
I have a West and East rating but no “State” yet. Not a big deal but I don’t mix classes so here’s how I see the West. I Parkland # 1 in the East followed by SJP.

West
  1. Central Dauphin
  2. Central Catholic
  3. Wilson
  4. Penn Trafford
  5. North Allegheny
  6. Woodland Hills
  7. Pine Richland
  8. Central Dauphin East
  9. Penn Hills
  10. State College
  11. McKeesport
  12. Cedar Cliff
  13. USC
  14. Cumberland Valley
  15. Mount Lebanon
  16. Lower Dauphin
  17. Manheim Township
  18. Bethel Park
  19. South Western
  20. Hempfield-Landisville

Good list. I could certainly make arguments to move a few teams around, but still a guess at this point.

Surprised you have CD #1. I heard they have a very nice team coming back, but didn't realize they were expected to be that good. As good as their team that went to state finals a few years ago?

'11 was an exceptional group and while I don't think this group is there yet they may be in a few months. Last year's team was real close, losing to Wilson in the district final, a step away from Pine Rich who Wilson was hangin with before losing. Being from there, I've seen them and feel they're close (young team last year) to being a title team with both QBs back plus 4/6 OL, Raleigh Sirb (1352ry) at tailback, most from the D with the best freshman DE in the state last year in Micah Parsons, 6-3, 215, 121 tackles, 14 sacks, 27-TFL. Have a great coach and staff that prioritizes D and spec teams with a schedule that prepares them for a title run. Like the Wpial, it's a war just getting out of the district so who knows.
But they are certainly among the best teams in the state with Central Catholic, NA, maybe Woody, PTraf for sure, (similar to CD this year and Pine Rich last year) McKeesport with that backfield, CD East has a good, good team and Manheim Twp could be explosive. Two other Mid Penn teams will fight CD tooth and nail (besides East High) in Cedar Cliff and Lower Dauphin. I feel State College in 6 is a QB away from big things so it looks especially exciting in the West this year.

Here's my take on just the WPIAL

1. PCC
2. Penn Trafford
3. Woody
4. NA
5. McKeesport
6. Penn Hills
7. Bethel Park
8. Pine Richland
9. USC
10. Plum

Big early season games
Week 1 PCC vs. Bethel Park
Week 2 Penn Trafford vs. McKeesport and NA vs. Pine Richland
Week 3 PCC vs. NA

The 3 of us are not far apart at all. If you distill it down to just AAAA - West teams, you get this.

WpialHSFB Stalker new2pa
1. PCC CD PCC
2. Woody PCC Penn Traf
3. Wilson Wilson Woody
4. CD Penn Traf NA
5. Penn Traf NA McKeesport

WpialHSFB: Did a State Top 10
Stalker: Did a West Top 10
new2pa: Did a Wpial Top 10

DId a Top 5 as that's the max I could pull from WpialHSFB's State Top 10. I have Woodland Hills 6th, which still puts them in the Wpial semi with PCC, PT, NA.

Stalker, I would probably rank Wilson #2 in the west. I don't know much about CD, but did have an opportunity to see their offense a little last year. Unless they have the ability to spread it out, I think they will have alot of trouble scoring versus some of WPIAL team like PCC or NA. Also saw some CD-East - thought if they could be a little more organized and technique oriented, they have the sort of offensive team that could give some of the WPIAL stalwarts trouble. But I guess they lost some of their kids. Anyway, Wilson to me seemed very well coached on both side of the ball, and by-far, played PR's offense the best. They just couldn't hold on at the end.

Here's my shot at a statewide top 10. I don't regularly get to watch teams outside of D11 and to some extent D1 and D12, so take with the appropriate grain of salt.

1. Pittsburgh Central Catholic (11-2): District 7 Finals

Simply put, this is the most talented team in Pennsylvania. On paper, it’s the best defense since the 2004 PCC squad that is often lauded as the best of the state playoff era. Every starter on defense has been offered a Division I scholarship, and Rashad Wheeler, Damar Hamlin, David Adams, Ron George, Ronnie Jones, Kurt Hinish, and Bricen Garner are all legitimate All State candidates on that side of the football. Also have a huge, talented offensive line that some FCS programs would be jealous of, anchored by Rivals250 junior CJ Thorpe. Need to figure out who their major weapons are with the football, but football is about blocking and tackling, and they’ll do that better than anybody.

2. St. Joseph’s Prep (11-3): PIAA 4A Champions, District 12 Champion, PCL Champion

The king stay the king. Obviously take huge graduation losses, but it helps when you bring back arguably the best high school running back in America in D’Andre Swift. Also have a loaded group of sophomores/juniors to step in and I think people will be shocked with how smooth the transition is on the offensive and defensive lines and at receiver. Huge up front on both offense and defense. There will be a quarterback battle in camp with a number of good options, and whoever gets the job will have a plethora of weapons at his disposal with Swift, Benny Walls, and budding star Darryle Simmons. Coach Gabe Infante has this program clicking to the point where state championships are the expectation.

4. Central Dauphin: (11-3) District 3 Runner Up, Mid-Penn League Champion

The second best defense in Pennsylvania, with possibly the best defensive player in the state in sophomore DE Micah Parsons, who led the state with 18.5 sacks. Al in all they return six players who made at least 50 tackles last year,, plus welcome in transfer AJ Perez, who had 66 tackles and 10 sacks last year for CD East. That group combined for 41.5 sacks last year, a mind boggling total to return on a defense. Returning running back Raleigh Sirb and quarterback David Payton combined to rush for 1,969 yards and 27 touchdowns last season and have a couple of 290 pound linemen to run behind. Payton’s development as a passer could really put them over the top.

4. Woodland Hills (8-3): Southeastern Conference Champion

This is the best backfield in the state. Miles Sanders averaged over 10 yards per carry last year and is the only other Pennsylvania running back in Swift’s class. If both offenses would give these backs 250+ carries, it would be an unbelievable dual for the state rushing title. Joining Sanders in the backfield are a pair of FBS prospects in Jo-El Shaw and Jerimiah Jones, and all three will run behind an offensive line with the lightest player at 265 pounds. The Wolverines churn out Division I talent, and this year is no exception. One of the few teams with the athletes to go with PCC.

5. Parkland (11-3) District 11 Champion

Unlike other teams in the top 5, Parkland will air it out on offense. The best quarterback in my top 10 is Devante Cross, who threw for 2,700 yards and 27 touchdowns last year. He’s half of the best QB/WR combo in 4A with Kenny Yeboah his primary target. Like the rest of the top five, they’ll be big up front, but need to find a consistent running game beyond Cross scrambles. Defensively, they’ll be anchored by DL Noel Brouse and have waves of big bodies up front, but will need to find a way to replace a majority of their back seven.

6. Penn-Trafford (11-1) District 7 Semifinals, Foothills Conference Champions

The Warriors are another fun ‘n gun offense, and return 2,000 yard passer Brent Laffoon and 1,000 yard receiver Tim Vecchio, whose 1,022 receiving yards are the second most returning in 4A. They also average 272 pounds across the offensive line and throws in a 255 pound tight end with FBS offers for good measure. It is very likely this is the best offense in the classification. Defensively, they gave up just 9.0 points per game until they were bombarded for half a hundred by PCC in the WPIAL semis. They take some hits up front, particularly replacing DE Trey Blanford, but they’ll be right in the thick of things again.

7. Wilson West Lawn (14-1) District 3 Champion, Lancaster Lebanon-Champion

The most consistent program in the state will be back again. Headlining the offense is running back Shane Danzler, who ran for 1,659 yards and averaged close to seven yards per carry as a junior They also return their top three receivers in Danzler, Jake Gehman, and John Fox, who teamed up to catch 23 touchdowns last fall. Defensively, only three starters return, but that includes All State middle linebacker Ike Schannauer and Fox, who was the Lancaster Lebanon Legaue’s Defensive Back of the Year in 2014. They haven’t been to State Finals since the Kerry Collins led 1989 squad, and came agonizingly close last year.

8. LaSalle (8-3) PCL Finals

Reports of LaSalle’s death have been greatly exaggerated. Yes, the Gordon’s are gone. Kyle Schurmer, Jimmy Herron, and Jordan Meachum have all graduated and take with them most of last year’s offensive production. But if transfer rumors are correct, this team could be dynamic, if different, on offense. If Syaire Madden and Isaiah Jones are in the LaSalle backfield (neither is currently on the roster at LaSalle’s website) that’s 2,269 yards and 18 touchdowns added to their backfield. Those two, plus all purpose back Nick Rinella, running behind a massive offensive line that could go 260-250-270-320-255 across and features All State candidate Michael McDermott, could be a very potent running game. If Jones winds up at quarterback, that will present an entirely different dynamic than previous LaSalle offenses predicated on drop back passers. Or he could stay at a skill spot and 6’4 220 pound senior Chris Ferguson will get snaps. And while much of the offensive staff is gone, this is still a John Steinmetz defense, which has been a successful formula for a long time.

9. Cedar Cliff (8-3)

Fabulous skill players. The Colts have the leading returning rusher in 4A in Jayden Demmy. They also bring back quarterback Grant Brennemann, who threw for 2,400 yards and 24 touchdowns as a sophomore and although favorite target Noah Malone has graduated, Maryland bound Mike Viti does return after a 41 catch junior year. Viti doubles as one of the best safeties in the state. Brennemann is a budding star and this ranking is largely hinged on his continued development as a passer and leader. They’ll need to vasty improve on defense, where they gave up 24.8 points per game last season despite their 8-3 record.

10. McKeesport (10-2): District 7 Semifinals

Kind of throwing darts at the end, but I’m a sucker for the triple option and they have one of my favorite players to watch in Khaleke Hudson. Hudson and quarterback/linebacker Tymar Sutton combined for 2,074 yards and 30 touchdowns last year. The triple-option is an unconventional look to prepare for, made all the most difficult with the dynamic athletes they have running the football They’re each FBS level defenders too, and offer one of the best duos in the classification.

Reactions: lilromeo
new2pa: Wilson is always a good pick and the LL got weaker with Coach Todd Mealy (McDevitt grad) retiring from Penn Manor; too bad. Hard seeing anyone challenging except Manheim Township with a lot back both sides. Nice QB in Erik Benjamin (6-1, 215, sr, 2108yds) and they get Bulldogs at home.
CD East was legit last year but not as disciplined as CD. I have them too high at 8 in the West but a thorn in anyone's side with their QB.
Wilson/CD....flip it!....unless as you mentioned they don't develop the passing attack that was dormant last year; dual QBs plus a young group! Coach McNamee is one of the great ones, he knows what it takes, namely, more passing, at least another 500-600yds to get the Commonwealth and out of the district.

Rover: Interesting seeing AJ Perez transfer back to CD after transferring to East (from CD) last year. Depending how you count, that's 8 returning. I like your rankings and good seeing someone else recognizing CC Colts who could be special. Definitely the real deal in D3 where it's hard getting out of the shadow of McDevitt in the Mid Penn-Keystone with Lower Dauphin in the wings waiting to knock your block off like last year. Another AAA, Susquehanna Twp should be a factor this year making the MPK a tough nut to crack.

CD/Wilson....schedule, etc: The edge CD has is in their defense and having an established QB. Wilson is also a defensive Gibraltar so if Jake Klein just fits the mold of previous 1st year starting Wilson QBs, they'll be ok. Their feeder system is special. Once they get past their first 3 games....Gov Mifflin (total rebuild but bitter rival) and CD East both on the road, then it's CD coming in for their opener. That's a decent schedule and real tough spot for CD. Wilson will then likely run out unless Township upsets them in Lancaster.
For CD, they open at home against Wilson's only comp in the LL this year, Manheim Township. These two go at it so it should be a hard game followed by Susquehanna Township coming off a rare down year. Of course it would make their season to beat neighboring CD. So, CD is coming in off two potentially trying games, as Wilson is.
Coach Doug Dahms of Wilson and McNamee of CD are considered two of the best coaches in the district and I believe state so no edge there. CD lost twice to them last year 14-12 and 21-10 where Wilson was the better team, but not by much. I've got 5 returning to the D for Wilson Rover, DL Harris, CB Gehman, FS Fox, FS O'Brien and LB Schannauer and a bunch of subs.
After Wilson, CD has to slug their way through the Mid Penn Commonwealth, something Wilson does not have to do in the LL. Losses here would affect their seeding. The hardest will be at State College with the usual physical encounter with Harrisburg (at CD) the preceding week. SC will likely have their new QB well in place by then. Following State they close out with 4 home games; two are problematic in Cumberland Valley and rival CD East. It's shown as a road game for CD but it's home with both playing their home games at Landis Field.

Full disclosure, I had an embarrisingly large word document with starters and stats for various teams from around the state that I planned on using, but it got unceremoniously deleted, so I'll blame that on having the wrong number of returning starters for Wilson, I just took a quick look at their tackle numbers and missed O'Brien and Harris. I trust that program to develop quarterbacks, the run they've had is unreal and clearly just goes beyond talented kids.

I think Cedar Cliff should be very good, but I do worry if they can stop anybody. That's a great way to have your season end early. I expect big things from Brennemann though. How big is he? He's listed at 6'1 185, but that looks like last years roster. His brother is no small guy. I haven't watched anything more than highlights, but could he be a guy as college coaches start to pay attention?

I hear you. That happens to you one time and from thereon you'll be a super saver....every few sentences, definitely to the flash drive and or external drive, etc, especially with the epic posts you and I can crank out.
About Brennemann, I saw him once last year and wondered if he was 6 feet. Hard telling from stands; gate pass didn't equate to a sideline pass and thought he was 5-11, maybe 6. With his genetics and brother Adam checking in BIG he could have shot up over the summer or catch a growth spurt next year. He's has football smarts, bright kid so with a little growth, maybe a Colgate, Ivy type? But I'm not a recruiter at all.
With people looking at Demmy, he's known. And games like McDevitt brings in the boys so if he's got the goods he'll get noticed in the Mid Penn, definitely come playoff time if they match up with a Central Dauphin, Wilson type game-opponent. It's southern PA so they'll sling it giving him every opportunity to stand out. Cantafio brought the program back and Gillen is following in his footsteps using the tools he has, namely Brennemann....and Demmy.
I wish they'd move to the MP Commonwealth (moving Chambersburg out) instead of playing in the Keystone with 5 Triple-A's that don' prep you for the postseason the way the MPC does.

Erie's Cathedral Prep plays Wakulla, FL in Orlando on 9/4. Wakulla is supposed to be a top 10 team in FL, with a 4-star QB commit to LSU and a 4-star WR commit to FSU.

Prep has a first year QB starting, and lost a whole lot off of last year's team, but regularly has an 80 player roster, so will have another good team regardless.

With a Florida background I can tell you Wakulla hasn't developed any consistent playoff atmosphere in state and are usually handled by perennial power Godby who has a number of titles. If you can't get past them and they seem to mirror each other class wise, you're not going anywhere.
When drifting to other classes they have to face Leon or Lincoln (Tallahassee) and that hasn't worked out too well either. Hard getting away from those realities playing in the panhandle, but they're chipping away, real improved the last 4 years.
With their speed, Prep could be in trouble doing some rebuilding. I guess the game is at Disney or Citrus?

I believe the Cathedral Prep v Wakulla game is at Disney. Should be worth watching and I think it will air on some cable channel.

Cathedral Prep LOST to Wakulla, 37-14.

Best District 10 team may end up Conneaut Area. Eagles are led by seniors, QB Hunter Merritt and WR Henry Litwin. They're both having great seasons so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT