ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2021

Another nice article on Pine-Richland...

Sounds like Coach Campos is planning on returning....

“This year was a journey,” Campos said. “We had excitement and we had our ups and downs. I told them that you’re going to be at the top and at the bottom throughout life, so you just have to continue to work hard and that’s what they did. They bought into what we were doing. Once they let go of the past and started looking toward the future, we were fine.”

Details, like for Coach K, it's not going to be Coach Campos' choice.

Everything I've heard is that there are 5 school board members ready remove Lyons, fire the Supt and Asst Supt and let Campos go.

Hillman, Tercick, Brussallis, Cassidy, and DeTullio are all in lockstep from what people tell me. Until you can tell me which one is gonna break ranks, I think this is what is gonna happen.

Reactions: JACKY6996
The only "people" who may want Campos to return is the Super and Assistant Super, and maybe one or two board members- not because he did a good job, but because Campos was a "yes man" and probably did not "question authority." He did a poor job. As of March of this year, most kids, parents, coaches and media were wondering "how far in the state playoffs" could PR go? Ha! We could not even make it out of the WPIAL semis. Talent? Yep, even WITH the injuries, the PT game was 3-0 in the 3rd quarter- but we did not have the OFFENSIVE STRATEGY to score in the first half that is a COACHING problem.

This "nice article" along with another "nice article" published in the trib, only makes it worse. The Head Coach does "give credit" to the other team, does not "praise" our boys by name, for stepping in, to replace injuries. He "blames" backups for not playing good enough- he makes kids look worse, and feel worse. Sad and classless- his comment that kids "forgot about the past" is just total hogwash. How, and WHY should these kids "forget" that they were defending WPIAL and State champs? Again, I could go on and on, but the kids were not prepared, the coaches did not use the "depth" of the team effectively. Campos was not able to hire a qualified staff, which led to the kids COACHING THEMSELVES, which led to mistakes, injuries, lack of confidence, all year long

Speaking of which, has P-R hired an Athletic Director yet? It seems like it has been months since Salopek took off and I haven't heard anything about it.

Yes, they hired some guy from Single A Forest Hills near Johnstown in Cambria County. He doesn't know what he's getting into. He started a week or two ago

Details, like for Coach K, it's not going to be Coach Campos' choice.

Everything I've heard is that there are 5 school board members ready remove Lyons, fire the Supt and Asst Supt and let Campos go.

Hillman, Tercick, Brussallis, Cassidy, and DeTullio are all in lockstep from what people tell me. Until you can tell me which one is gonna break ranks, I think this is what is gonna happen.
Question for you Mike...

I agree the board may not rehire Campos, but what makes you think Pine-Richland will fire the Super and the Asst Super and take on all that broken contract salary? As well as any retaliation lawsuits filed by these men? And how can other school board members remove a sitting, elected, school board member?

Getting rid of all those contracts will cost the taxpayers of Pine-Richland almost a 1/2 million dollars. That does not include court fees and the civil lawsuits that will be filed by these the administrators. It seems like a clear case of retaliation for not renewing a yearly coaching contract. Do you think the community will get behind that? After being recognized as one of the best schools in PA under this administration?

Also, I am not sure Eric Kaperowicz is employable anywhere in the WPIAL or he would have already been hired. I am not sure anyone wants to make such a risky hire. Anything happens, and I mean anything....ONE angry or upset parent or child makes ONE accusation of hazing or bullying, and the entire decision making process of the school board comes back into question along with liability. I mean, after accepting responsibility for his actions, Eric Kaperowicz became a red flag hire when it comes to liability after all this drama.

I think the best Eric Kasperowicz can hope for is a civil lawsuit where the PR school boards pays him to go away.

A new coach? Maybe. But probably not Eric Kaperowicz. Sorry.

I agree the board may not rehire Campos, but what makes you think Pine-Richland will fire the Super and the Asst Super and take on all that broken contract salary?

The new board is going to void the contracts they were giving by the old board this past summer. These contract total about $2M.

As well as any retaliation lawsuits filed by these men?

More on this below.

And how can other school board members remove a sitting, elected, school board member?

I meant remove him as president of the school board. However, PA School Code allows 5 board members to remove another member. I saw it on twitter and looked it up. Its true.

Getting rid of all those contracts will cost the taxpayers of Pine-Richland almost a 1/2 million dollars. That does not include court fees and the civil lawsuits that will be filed by these the administrators. It seems like a clear case of retaliation for not renewing a yearly coaching contract. Do you think the community will get behind that? After being recognized as one of the best schools in PA under this administration?

The community voted 4 new members in by a 2-1 margin and the 5th is in their camp and already on the board. Their platform was very clear and this was not a surprise. Hillman and Brussalis are former state and federal political staffers. They know how to do this. Not some local housewife and dude with a huge ego. Also, the are NOT going to go after Lyons and Admin on the football matter. They are going to go after them on the sexual assault and fraudulent reporting. When a 19 year old girl gets up at a school board meeting and says, "I was assulted/raped in school and you covered it up." people tend to notice. And her story is supported by the fact that records submitted to the state show P-R at about 2% the level of bullying/assault/intimidation of other similar neighboring school districts. Impossible. The new board (and new solicitor) is going to do an investigation. The assumption is they find something. And the minute they do, they will fire admin WITH CAUSE - which according to PA School code immediately terminates their contracts with no compensation.

Also, I am not sure Eric Kaperowicz is employable anywhere in the WPIAL or he would have already been hired. I am not sure anyone wants to make such a risky hire.

Except the University of Pittsburgh.

I'm fairy certain that its going to go down very similar to this narrative. If I've said anything above that you know to be factually untrue, please share and I will walk back my statements.

I leave you with this. Lyons and admin made a bet that after firing the coach, people would forget about it and would just go away. They were wrong. It galvanized a community about a whole host of other, more important issues. Now, there are 5 people on the board. The now have the power to do things how they and the community want - just like Lyons and his cronies did in April.

PS: The least clear thing to me in all this is if Coach K and staff will go back. For more likely that Miller, Pasquinelli and Lyons are gone IMO.

Sasson, Lehmeier and Hail at SV with chance to win WPIAL next year

Jochem at PCC with chance to win state in 23

Miller watching his kid at Kent

Neff already had 9 WPIAL rings - what’s he need more

Baranowski now running two restaurants.

Urbik at Pitt.

Coach K in line for position coach job at Pitt.

A Single A AD is now running the show.

Reactions: bummer01
IMO, if Coach K doesn't come back, it will continue to game to game decline you saw this year.

PR can win with or without Coach K.

The key is having a "full" staff that is in place starting for winter workouts. Without guidance the team will not be successful. The players need to know what their responsibilities are and have coaches that can actually work them in practice (on both sides of the ball at the same time) and be able to communicate adjustments during the game. Without that, the program will continue to slide. Prior to Coach K, PR was able to be competitive even with an antiquated system and processes.

Hopefully this is realized and the administration will do the right thing and get a coach committed with a full stall.

PRFB, I agree with you whole heartedly, but I don't think it will be much more than being competitive as long as they stay in the larger classifications

P-R in 4A before coach K
2008: 4-6
2009: 3-6
2010: 3-7
2011: 4-6
2012: 4-5
Overall: 18-30, No Playoff wins

P-R in 4A/6A after coach K
2013: 5-5
2014: 15-1 *
2015: 10-2
2016: 7-5
2017: 16-0 **
2018: 11-3 *
2019: 10-2
2020: 11-0 **
Overall: 85-17 4 WPIAL, 2 PIAA Titles

P-R in 4A/6A with Coach Campos
2021: 7-5

My gut would say that P-R will hover around 4-6 to 7-3 each year during the playoffs, and in years with talent, like this one, they may make it to the WPIAL Semi's, but lose to a "program".

Now, if P-R hires someone with knowledge, drive, charisma, etc., then it could all change. But with current admin, who's gonna want to do that.

What's the outlook for the other 5A teams next year?

Penn Hills and Gateway both return good QB's but have their flaws. Also, if some of the 6A schools drop back down as is rumored, then it could be a little interesting. But overall, I think 5A and 6A is pretty mediocre. 4A is going to be lights out IMO though.

PRFB, I agree with you whole heartedly, but I don't think it will be much more than being competitive as long as they stay in the larger classifications

P-R in 4A before coach K

My gut would say that P-R will hover around 4-6 to 7-3 each year during the playoffs, and in years with talent, like this one, they may make it to the WPIAL Semi's, but lose to a "program".

Now, if P-R hires someone with knowledge, drive, charisma, etc., then it could all change. But with current admin, who's gonna want to do that.
Couldn't agree more.....Pre Coach K was like playing football in the 80's. No innovation or desire to be different or modernize. The kids can win with the right support is my point. They are winning in other sports, theater arts, atc.

Reactions: new2pa
Couldn't agree more.....Pre Coach K was like playing football in the 80's. No innovation or desire to be different or modernize. The kids can win with the right support is my point. They are winning in other sports, theater arts, atc.

Agree with you PRFB...

P-R in 4A before coach K

Mike you forgot some excellent coaching seasons by Clair Altemus

P-R with Coach Altemus
2007: 10 - 2
2006: 11 - 1
2005: 9 - 2
2004: 7 - 3
2003: 14 - 1
2002: 12 - 1

Last edited:
Agree with you PRFB...
New, and PRFB-

Interesting comments... New- good info- I'd like to add on- with comparison of records...

5 Years prior to "great staff" including EK, Jochem, etc, the PLAYOFF record:

2008 to 2012- 0 and 2. Only played in 2 playoff games, Zero wins.

5 of the last years of the "great staff" for Post-season, playoff games:

2016 to 2020- 16 - 3. Played in 19 games, 16 Postseason wins, 2 state titles- that is crazy impressive.

As a comparison- in that same stretch- North Hills High School, had Zero wins- in the same as 2008 to 2012. And the same "path" PR heading. Even PCC, a "good program" in the "recent stretch" was 8-4. The debate is "jimmy and joes" or "x's and o's." To have a great program, you need BOTH. As evidenced by Belle Vernon last week. Previously was #1 in state, but had bad coaching- and got manhandled by Aliquippa in WPIAL final. Or Lebo in WPIAL 6A- they had BOTH- talent AND great coaching. Who would ever have thought Pittsburgh Central Catholic would have been mercy-ruled??

Yes, PR can have some success- but- without a great staff, and leadership committed to winning in football- can never be "dominant" and/or win championships. This year's team- only beat 2 teams "decisively." AND- this is not talked about much, but ZERO times in 2021, had the mercy rule kick in- that is crazy for a team, and a previously "dominant" program- no more. The leadership of the district does not value Football. Maybe some of the "school board members" but not the Super, either assistant Super, not the High School Principal who "helped fire" the old staff- and not likely a young, inexperienced AD. IMO, of the "previous coaches," very few are likely to come back- why would they? And Kasper coming back? IDK- but, he is a "offensive assistant" and helping w the QB. the QB is right now is "4th most likely" to win the HEISMAN. And if Pitt wins the ACC, and gets a good bowl birth? Likely EK will get hired in college somewhere.

And the "other 5A programs?" All of these will be solid- Penn Hills, Gateway, Penn Trafford, Moon, Peters- they are "well- coached" and good "programs" with stable coaching staffs, in Districts who leadership "values football."

I agree the board may not rehire Campos, but what makes you think Pine-Richland will fire the Super and the Asst Super and take on all that broken contract salary?

The new board is going to void the contracts they were giving by the old board this past summer. These contract total about $2M.

As well as any retaliation lawsuits filed by these men?

More on this below.

And how can other school board members remove a sitting, elected, school board member?

I meant remove him as president of the school board. However, PA School Code allows 5 board members to remove another member. I saw it on twitter and looked it up. Its true.

The community voted 4 new members in by a 2-1 margin and the 5th is in their camp and already on the board. Their platform was very clear and this was not a surprise. Hillman and Brussalis are former state and federal political staffers. They know how to do this. Not some local housewife and dude with a huge ego. Also, the are NOT going to go after Lyons and Admin on the football matter. They are going to go after them on the sexual assault and fraudulent reporting. When a 19 year old girl gets up at a school board meeting and says, "I was assulted/raped in school and you covered it up." people tend to notice. And her story is supported by the fact that records submitted to the state show P-R at about 2% the level of bullying/assault/intimidation of other similar neighboring school districts. Impossible. The new board (and new solicitor) is going to do an investigation. The assumption is they find something. And the minute they do, they will fire admin WITH CAUSE - which according to PA School code immediately terminates their contracts with no compensation.

Also, I am not sure Eric Kaperowicz is employable anywhere in the WPIAL or he would have already been hired. I am not sure anyone wants to make such a risky hire.

Except the University of Pittsburgh.

I'm fairy certain that its going to go down very similar to this narrative. If I've said anything above that you know to be factually untrue, please share and I will walk back my statements.

I leave you with this. Lyons and admin made a bet that after firing the coach, people would forget about it and would just go away. They were wrong. It galvanized a community about a whole host of other, more important issues. Now, there are 5 people on the board. The now have the power to do things how they and the community want - just like Lyons and his cronies did in April.
Wow...That seems like a lot.

I wonder why you are the only one reporting on all this? It seems like all the other sports reporters have moved on from this story. I appreciate you keeping us updated, very interesting stuff.

I certainly can see Eric Kaperowicz winning something in a lawsuit, but what was not reported in the PPG, but was reported in the Trib, I think is very damaging to Eric Kaperowicz returning to Pine Richland, is that he was on an Improvement Plan...

"Kasperowicz also said his reputation was damaged by comments that he had previously been placed on a performance improvement plan, in part, for failing to report “serious matters.”

In addition to reporting “any and all known concerns throughout his tenure as head football coach to the appropriate persons,” Kasperowicz said, the performance improvement plan “never referenced an alleged failure to report.” "

That is pretty serious, both being on an improvement plan and making that information public.

I think PR will be held accountable for releasing that information.

I also think it really hurts Eric Kasperowicz from ever coaching in the WPIAL again.

Last edited:
Mike you forgot some excellent coaching seasons by Clair Altemus

P-R with Coach Altemus
2007: 10 - 2
2006: 11 - 1
2005: 9 - 2
2004: 7 - 3
2003: 14 - 1
2002: 12 - 1
Dear Pete,
I am not certain but believe P-R was 3A then. I was just referencing the last 14 seasons…

Wow...That seems like a lot.

I wonder why you are the only one reporting on all this? It seems like all the other sports reporters have moved on from this story. I appreciate you keeping us updated, very interesting stuff.

I certainly can see Eric Kaperowicz winning something in a lawsuit, but what was not reported in the PPG, but was reported in the Trib, I think is very damaging to Eric Kaperowicz returning to Pine Richland, is that he was on an Improvement Plan...

"Kasperowicz also said his reputation was damaged by comments that he had previously been placed on a performance improvement plan, in part, for failing to report “serious matters.”

In addition to reporting “any and all known concerns throughout his tenure as head football coach to the appropriate persons,” Kasperowicz said, the performance improvement plan “never referenced an alleged failure to report.” "

That is pretty serious, both being on an improvement plan and making that information public.

I think PR will be held accountable for releasing that information.

I also think it really hurts Eric Kasperowicz from ever coaching in the WPIAL again.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that the PG and Trib will be reporting on it again.

This is somewhere in this thread, but Coach K and one other coach (Jochem I think) were on a PiP after the 2017 championship season. As the PG reported, it had to do with contact with a out of state player who was thinking of enrolling at P-R.

Dear Pete,
I am not certain but believe P-R was 3A then. I was just referencing the last 14 season
You have been covering high school sports for a long time, you know 3A was very competitive back then. I just thought Clair Altemus should get some credit for building the program at Pine Richland, a bit more of the history, the whole picture and complete reporting. Not every year was a bad year at Pine Richland.

Last edited:
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that the PG and Trib will be reporting on it again.

This is somewhere in this thread, but Coach K and one other coach (Jochem I think) were on a PiP after the 2017 championship season. As the PG reported, it had to do with contact with a out of state player who was thinking of enrolling at P-R.

IMO Eric Kaperowicz being on a PiP is going to be a HUGE road block for him getting back into coaching in the WPIAL. Violating the terms and conditions of that document put you on dangerous ground. Now every school knows. I cannot believe that information was released to the public. That will more than likely result in some people losing their jobs as well. Rightly so.

Who reported he violated the terms and conditions of the PiP ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT