ADVERTISEMENT

Nationla top 25 Pre-season rankings

I'm a WCU grad and damn proud (Holy Family for my Masters) . For the record, my father was a Prep grad in the late 40's and PSU in the 50's. Not to mention I've taught in the archdiocese. God bless anyone who can stick around with those salaries.

FBU - sounds like you're the one who would have benefited most from what we've discussed ... you should have taken a class in 'logical and rhetorical analysis' ... you've completely missed the point ... so simply put, in your mind, all things are equal ... you've only diminished further your own limitations ... cheer up and take in another episode of Dr. Phil

Right on Relayer. PSU proud here but wife went to WCU then masters at Widener, which means while I wasn't smart enough to get my masters I was bright enough to marry a woman who did.

I would like to see Wood and eventually Imhotep move to Quad A, would be fun to watch D12....

Also, who cares what other people spend their money on, some want a boat, some a shore house, some private school for their kids, etc. and some have it all, and many can't afford any of the above....

But FBU, your premise started with "Why would anyone pay 2-3 times more for prep education over a Catholic school and only get 1.25 the education???? bad investment."

Not sure how that reconciles with the fact that their is no additional cost for public school, but Catholic schools wood included, cost about 30k for 4 years.....why would anyone pay for a catholic education???? So you pay 30,000x the more and get how many times more the education???

I would like to see Wood and eventually Imhotep move to Quad A, would be fun to watch D12....

Also, who cares what other people spend their money on, some want a boat, some a shore house, some private school for their kids, etc. and some have it all, and many can't afford any of the above....

But FBU, your premise started with "Why would anyone pay 2-3 times more for prep education over a Catholic school and only get 1.25 the education???? bad investment."

Not sure how that reconciles with the fact that their is no additional cost for public school, but Catholic schools wood included, cost about 30k for 4 years.....why would anyone pay for a catholic education???? So you pay 30,000x the more and get how many times more the education???

Spider, I lived in Upper Dublin. That public education aint free!!

Reactions: ed o'brien
I think the main point is that a parent can't be satisfied if their son or daughter ends up at a state school after graduating from a private high school. It makes sense to me and I graduated from a state school.

Great Post Stalker....NOW just make your next post by copying your above Wood post and replace the word "Wood" with "SJPrep" 7 times and you now have another correct post! But refer to the man love of the prep as a "Preppy"........Too Funny! Why would anyone pay 2-3 times more for prep education over a Catholic school and only get 1.25 the education???? bad investment. I not sure but weren't there like 3 or 5 prep players at WCU a year or 3 ago??? college prep school to get into West Chester.......really! I know several families who sent their boys to prep and they were only able to get into PSU Abington????? Wow! and with all those high academic standards and all that extra homework....Now that's funny!
FBU, I think you miss a crucial point in your statement. I am a Judge grad and I decided to send my son to SJP. Granted, it's a personal decision and all families who are considering sending their son to SJP must make their own assessments of the pros/cons.
As I sat in the stands the last three years at football games, I have spoken to parents of Prep grads who relayed to me how well their sons were doing academically in college. Each and every parent attributed their sons' success to the rigorous academic challenges the boys faced at SJP. The time management skills necessary to attend to academic responsibilities and athletic endeavors at SJP are crucial, IMO. Personally, it has made writing the Prep tuition check each month a lot easier. Additionally, I believe a more accurate gauge of the success of Prep grads versus other schools should not be measured by what universities the young men attend. I believe academic success at the institution, and subsequent career paths, are more reliable criteria.
Similar to high school choices, the decision regarding which college best fits both the student and family is personal. Finances, proximity, courses of study offered and the desire to continue playing football are but a few of the factors. If a public university presents the best option for a particular family, then anonymous internet posters do not have the right to challenge that decision, IMO.
Given the strong SJP alumni network, I have advised my son that when he puts together his first resume, he should certainly list his high school. I think we can agree that the Prep has a stellar reputation.
In our efforts to put our children in position to succeed, my wife and I have made sacrifices. Once again, it's a personal decision we have made.

I think "Fletchster1" stated it pretty clearly...

I think the main point is that a parent can't be satisfied if their son or daughter ends up at a state school after graduating from a private high school. It makes sense to me and I graduated from a state school.

So, after 8th grade graduation, all prep parents say "I'm going to over pay for HS education with the hopes that johnny can squeak into a STATE school"

Not a chance in H-E-double hockey sticks"

To defend the prep and then have a grad end up at a satellite campus of PSU and not even be able to get up to the main University Campus of PSU is a step backwards and a total waste of money! Maybe that kid only did 18 hours of homework each night instead of the required 22 hours each night........Makes you go Hmmmmmmmmm!

I always looked at the prep as a great fit for kids who needed a little hand holding, you know, that little extra help b/c they were not self starters and forward thinkers....SMILE!

I don't know about that FBU82. As Roxy said, it doesn't mean you are head and shoulders above everyone. It means you're prepared for the future. Time management, how to study, how to move forward in life, service to community....it is all part of the tuition. And for all that, you don't have to justify anything. I don't want to start sounding pious but they are Catholic schools!! That is part of the selection process equation by the parents, I would think.
Paul, I see your take on this but I call this parenting.....
Time management - "you better have your chores done by dinner time or you're not going out"
Studying - "get your homework done before you turn on the TV"
Faith, Service - "Alter server / community service projects"
I just parented my kids, they didn't need the hand holding or "Extra" home work, I guess some kids NEED the prep to prepare them for college others are born that way and have good parenting!

Paul, I see your take on this but I call this parenting.....
Time management - "you better have your chores done by dinner time or you're not going out"
Studying - "get your homework done before you turn on the TV"
Faith, Service - "Alter server / community service projects"
I just parented my kids, they didn't need the hand holding or "Extra" home work, I guess some kids NEED the prep to prepare them for college others are born that way and have good parenting!

What monumental parenting...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT