ADVERTISEMENT

Nationla top 25 Pre-season rankings

Saw Dematha last year. They may have talent but their 18 coaches will take them down a notch.
shoe, they are really loaded this year, well just about every year. Several D-I players and a running back that is incredible. I also saw them twice last year [Wood and laSalle] they are much improved.

DeMatha could have their hands full in the opener vs American Heritage (Plantation), last season's 5A-FL champ. Graduated a multi purpose QB but the way they move around down there, who knows what the team may look like this year.

DeMatha could have their hands full in the opener vs American Heritage (Plantation), last season's 5A-FL champ. Graduated a multi purpose QB but the way they move around down there, who knows what the team may look like this year.
Stalker,I have great respect for your knowledge about HS football and have no doubt about your overview of that first game for DeMatha. I think that our local guys will not have a good outcome vs. DeMatha this year. Im sure you know about them in more detail than I do , but my eyeball test says they will be faster and more skilled this year than our guys particularly laSalle losing Their two very good players on offense.

shoe, they are really loaded this year, well just about every year. Several D-I players and a running back that is incredible. I also saw them twice last year [Wood and laSalle] they are much improved.
The real question here is WHY isn't Wood playing DeMatha this year. Looking at Archbishop Wood schedule and there one thing perfectly clear, and that is how non challenging it is. I don't get it as a tough non league schedule like Prep or LaSalle only helps you down the road. Anyone have any answers or ideas ?

The real question here is WHY isn't Wood playing DeMatha this year. Looking at Archbishop Wood schedule and there one thing perfectly clear, and that is how non challenging it is. I don't get it as a tough non league schedule like Prep or LaSalle only helps you down the road. Anyone have any answers or ideas ?
The only thing I heard and not confirmed is that they had a 1 year deal with DeMatha and North Penn decided they had enough. Do not know if Wood tried but was unsuccessful in scheduling other high quality opponents this year . They are expected to have a more difficult time this year with graduation losses and Coach Carey taking a break so its possible they did not look very hard for national high rated teams. I suppose you would have to ask coach devlin to get the real answer. I agree that more worthy teams would be more interesting for several reasons including what you have stated.

DeMatha/Wood was only a 1-year game.

I still shake my head that SJP/Wood don't play. It makes no sense whatsoever.

DeMatha/Wood was only a 1-year game.

I still shake my head that SJP/Wood don't play. It makes no sense whatsoever.
I shake my head that Wood is playing Allentown (NJ nobody), Prep Charter (Horrible) and Gratz (another lousy pub team). This program has been one of the States top programs and to schedule this doesnt help them at all. Are they ducking teams ? Prep ?

Ducking ? played 4 straight years then scheduled Lasalle for home and home. They don"t have the money that the Prep has to jump on planes and fly all over. They scrimmage both judge and pennsbury and can"t get North Penn to play them. Good area teams are hard to come by.

I shake my head that Wood is playing Allentown (NJ nobody), Prep Charter (Horrible) and Gratz (another lousy pub team). This program has been one of the States top programs and to schedule this doesnt help them at all. Are they ducking teams ? Prep ?[/QUOTEBoth Prep Charter and Gratz should have good clubs this year, but I agree not up to seriously challenging Wood. how good Wood will be this year remains to be seen ,unlike past years where going in you knew they would be strong.

In another out of state game, Cathedral Prep of Erie is playing Wakulla, FL in Orlando to open the season.

DeMatha....some info.
Scary thing about DeMatha is how they evolved after the Wood and LaSalle losses. Nothing embarrassing about losing to Wood’s great team or to LaSalle with Shurmur especially knowing how young the Stags were. That role is reversed this year, coming in with a more seasoned team vs a lot of newness with Wood and LaSalle. DeMatha graduated 30 seniors coming into last season and 20 starters from a team that was #1 in state and #19 per USA Today. So they were young, real young, starting sophomores at QB in Beau English and RB Anthony McFarland. WR Delante Hellams also a soph along with starting OL’ers Marcus Minor 6-4, 290 and Victor Oluwatimi 6-4, 280. Rest of line were juniors; Elijah Johnson 6-5, 300, Terrance Davis 6-4 305, JP Urquidez 6-6, 305, and Reiley Bartine 6-5, 285. Believe they graduated 8 starters from last year’s team (?) with a ton of experience returning. The above was cobbled together from game write ups..eg..Maryland, DC papers, etc and Stags site for roster.
About the evolution, some of their wins in the WCAC were against veteran, quality teams like Wood which I think shows their development as the season progressed. Beating Good Counsel (10-2, splitting games….losing regular 21-14, winning title game 24-20) and Gonzaga twice (10-3), then going 8-1 after LaSalle shows how all that young talent came together. The West Catholic crowd knows another WCAC team, St John’s (6-4, beat Burrs 37-6) was a pretty good bunch as well and only team to beat IMG-Bradenton. OLGC’s other loss was Gilman. Gonzaga had an impressive win was VA-6A power Centerville (13-3) who lost in the final to undefeated Ocean Lakes (15-0, Virginia Beach) 30-24, ot so the comp was strong as it usually is in the WCAC.

DeMatha....some info.
Scary thing about DeMatha is how they evolved after the Wood and LaSalle losses. Nothing embarrassing about losing to Wood’s great team or to LaSalle with Shurmur especially knowing how young the Stags were. That role is reversed this year, coming in with a more seasoned team vs a lot of newness with Wood and LaSalle. DeMatha graduated 30 seniors coming into last season and 20 starters from a team that was #1 in state and #19 per USA Today. So they were young, real young, starting sophomores at QB in Beau English and RB Anthony McFarland. WR Delante Hellams also a soph along with starting OL’ers Marcus Minor 6-4, 290 and Victor Oluwatimi 6-4, 280. Rest of line were juniors; Elijah Johnson 6-5, 300, Terrance Davis 6-4 305, JP Urquidez 6-6, 305, and Reiley Bartine 6-5, 285. Believe they graduated 8 starters from last year’s team (?) with a ton of experience returning. The above was cobbled together from game write ups..eg..Maryland, DC papers, etc and Stags site for roster.
About the evolution, some of their wins in the WCAC were against veteran, quality teams like Wood which I think shows their development as the season progressed. Beating Good Counsel (10-2, splitting games….losing regular 21-14, winning title game 24-20) and Gonzaga twice (10-3), then going 8-1 after LaSalle shows how all that young talent came together. The West Catholic crowd knows another WCAC team, St John’s (6-4, beat Burrs 37-6) was a pretty good bunch as well and only team to beat IMG-Bradenton. OLGC’s other loss was Gilman. Gonzaga had an impressive win was VA-6A power Centerville (13-3) who lost in the final to undefeated Ocean Lakes (15-0, Virginia Beach) 30-24, ot so the comp was strong as it usually is in the WCAC.
Good summary of the highly competitive teams in the DC/ Md. area stalker. DeMatha may be one of the premier teams in the USA this year. I know they lost a bunch of D-1 players as they do every year and Urquidez transferred to a school in texas. I believe they change QBs after the Wood game. That RB McFarland I think may be the fastest RB in the nation this year. He is a tough runner in addition to his exceptional speed DE Simmons is a 4 star PSU commit. I don't envy LaSalle playing them this year.

lilromeo:
Beau English was the top rated passer in the WCAC last year as a sophomore at +1700py, 17 tds, 7-8 rushing Tds. You might be thinking of McFarland, their talented soph RB who was moved to wide out.

Ducking ? played 4 straight years then scheduled Lasalle for home and home. They don"t have the money that the Prep has to jump on planes and fly all over. They scrimmage both judge and pennsbury and can"t get North Penn to play them. Good area teams are hard to come by.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they need to travel the country. I agree that some area teams (bigger/better public suburban schools) won't play them. However, I don't care that SJP/AW played 4 years straight. As long as they are at the standards they currently are then they should play 50 straight years. They can play both LaSalle and SJP in the same year. There is no rule against this. Losing doesn't matter. Everyone in the PCL gets a chance to make state playoffs because of their playoff system. All of the PCL teams struggle at some level to find games for 5 or 6 NL weeks. Programs should be helping each other fill weeks were it makes sense. SJP vs Wood makes a boatload of sense. No ifs, ands, or buts.....Someone is dropping the ball here. Fact!

Last edited:
Huck I agree.
Wood dropped Prep from their schedule last season.
Wood should play SJP every year.

Football should be like basketball and baseball everyone plays everyone go back to the old north south

If they were to follow the baseball/basketball model, each time would have to play 13 regular season league games--obviously not possible. And if they stay within either the old north or the old south SJP and LaSalle would never play each other during the regular season and neither would SJP and Wood. Instead we would be getting games like SJP-Carroll. Maybe Gordon will turn things around at McDevitt, but imagine what Wood-McDevitt or LaSalle-McDevitt games would have looked like in any of the last 10 years.

U don't need 13 regular season games u don't see the south til the playoffs as far as prep lasalle if they really need to play each other go back to doing it on thanksgiving the way the league is broken up sucks in football half your season is non league

Who is the "u" in the "u don't see the south"? As for SJP-LaSalle on Thanksgiving, hasn't it become clear that Thanksgiving games don't make much sense since the PCL joined the PIAA.? It's the game that, by far, draws the biggest crowd of the year and the most attention from media and the general public. Why in the world would you schedule it on a date when it could be easily cancelled because the teams have already played in the championship game a week or two earlier or because one of the two is in the PIAA?

Last edited:
U don't need 13 regular season games u don't see the south til the playoffs as far as prep lasalle if they really need to play each other go back to doing it on thanksgiving the way the league is broken up sucks in football half your season is non league
Move on from this ,its not going back to north/south and teams in the PCL will not play on thanksgiving anymore unless the playoff format changes.

If Burrs87 and that hard hitting hustling journalist from the Inquirer make enough noise Im sure a game will make it onto the 2016 schedule. Prep would gladly play the game. Would Wood?

You can't make someone play anyone but they need to do something to fix disparity that gets worse-wider every year it seems. Wood playing SJP might help in giving them another tough opponent, or....making them play up. I know I'm running a slant with this one but here goes........

Not trying to start a "class" war but when Wood destroys NPenn 42-7, WCath 42-12, (right....not their strongest editions), then cruises past Great Valley's best ever 44-7 and Somerset's best ever 63-20, then dominates a real good Central Valley team 33-14 (see stats), who brushed aside one of McDevitt's better teams in years;........while that might make the PCL-Wood crowd happy, I think the larger view of things says it's a bad thing for football, with ramifications rippling across the state in a negative way, especially with a 4th consecutive finals appearance by the same team.
Most of us felt SJP and Wood winning gold was a foregone conclusion right. We weren't geniuses, they were both obviously that good. How good can that be for football?
I know that was a special-super Wood team but doubt the rest of the state, those with a woody for Wood so to speak (and all privates) know that or care.

Great Post Stalker....NOW just make your next post by copying your above Wood post and replace the word "Wood" with "SJPrep" 7 times and you now have another correct post! But refer to the man love of the prep as a "Preppy"........Too Funny! Why would anyone pay 2-3 times more for prep education over a Catholic school and only get 1.25 the education???? bad investment. I not sure but weren't there like 3 or 5 prep players at WCU a year or 3 ago??? college prep school to get into West Chester.......really! I know several families who sent their boys to prep and they were only able to get into PSU Abington????? Wow! and with all those high academic standards and all that extra homework....Now that's funny!

Great Post Stalker....NOW just make your next post by copying your above Wood post and replace the word "Wood" with "SJPrep" 7 times and you now have another correct post! But refer to the man love of the prep as a "Preppy"........Too Funny! Why would anyone pay 2-3 times more for prep education over a Catholic school and only get 1.25 the education???? bad investment. I not sure but weren't there like 3 or 5 prep players at WCU a year or 3 ago??? college prep school to get into West Chester.......really! I know several families who sent their boys to prep and they were only able to get into PSU Abington????? Wow! and with all those high academic standards and all that extra homework....Now that's funny!
Sounds to me you love grinding axes. No need for anyone to apologize for being at West Chester. Depending on your major, it might be a very good choice. And just to get the facts straight, there were never five former Prep players there. You say you know "several families" whose sons, after going to SJP, were able to be enrolled only at PSU Abington. If true, that is hugely untypical. The Prep would close in short order if such a situation were in any way common. Look at the places where last year's football seniors are going to college: Virginia, Michigan, PSU, Princeton (two), Colgate, etc. Lots of Prep grads who are not football players go to excellent, aka elite, colleges, though, like lots of people, I don't think that elite colleges are the best places for everyone or that elite colleges are even necessarily better in all respects.

I went to the Prep and then Temple. A classmate once said to me " Wow all that money on private school and we ended up in the same place". I could tell from that statement that we weren't in the same place at all.

You can't make someone play anyone but they need to do something to fix disparity that gets worse-wider every year it seems. Wood playing SJP might help in giving them another tough opponent, or....making them play up. I know I'm running a slant with this one but here goes........

Not trying to start a "class" war but when Wood destroys NPenn 42-7, WCath 42-12, (right....not their strongest editions), then cruises past Great Valley's best ever 44-7 and Somerset's best ever 63-20, then dominates a real good Central Valley team 33-14 (see stats), who brushed aside one of McDevitt's better teams in years;........while that might make the PCL-Wood crowd happy, I think the larger view of things says it's a bad thing for football, with ramifications rippling across the state in a negative way, especially with a 4th consecutive finals appearance by the same team.
Most of us felt SJP and Wood winning gold was a foregone conclusion right. We weren't geniuses, they were both obviously that good. How good can that be for football?
I know that was a special-super Wood team but doubt the rest of the state, those with a woody for Wood so to speak (and all privates) know that or care.
Well that got my attention and im not a Wood or Prep guy. The same innuendos were implied during the CB West 4 year in a row state final run years ago. I know ,I followed them closely back then. The Wood / Prep projections for state championships last year were as you stated a no brainer for many people ,but it didn't stop opponents from challenging them as it should be. Those two teams were special. things run in cycles. PCC and Imhotep this year are my picks. As for the prep basher, that was not necessary for this forum

Sounds to me you love grinding axes. No need for anyone to apologize for being at West Chester. Depending on your major, it might be a very good choice. And just to get the facts straight, there were never five former Prep players there. You say you know "several families" whose sons, after going to SJP, were able to be enrolled only at PSU Abington. If true, that is hugely untypical. The Prep would close in short order if such a situation were in any way common. Look at the places where last year's football seniors are going to college: Virginia, Michigan, PSU, Princeton (two), Colgate, etc. Lots of Prep grads who are not football players go to excellent, aka elite, colleges, though, like lots of people, I don't think that elite colleges are the best places for everyone or that elite colleges are even necessarily better in all respects.

You're right Tulla it wasn't 5.........

It was 3 on the 2014 team and 4 on the 2013 team

what are you're thoughts on 2-3 time the cost of Catholic Schools and only (at most) 1.25 the education, bad investment!
and the high academic standards and all the extra homework???

The same families that had prep kids end up at PSU Abington, had NO trouble getting into the prep, with the impossible entrance exam, and I know what their grades were coming out of 8th grade, Difficult to get into??????? Not at all!

It's kinda like walking down the street and it starts raining and you see a guy selling umbrellas for $25.00 and you buy one b/c you don't want to get wet and then you pass a dollar store 2 blocks later and they have them for $5.00...you just feel foolish with your purchase!

Last edited:
You're right Tulla it wasn't 5.........

It was 3 on the 2014 team and 4 on the 2013 team

what are you're thoughts on 2-3 time the cost of Catholic Schools and only (at most) 1.25 the education, bad investment!
and the high academic standards and all the extra homework???

The same families that had prep kids end up at PSU Abington, had NO trouble getting into the prep, with the impossible entrance exam, and I know what their grades were coming out of 8th grade, Difficult to get into??????? Not at all!
First, I don't agree that going to and playing for West Chester is an embarrassment, and without knowing anything about why the guys went there I think it would be foolish to speculate why they did. Do you know if that was the only college that accepted them? As I recall, Drew Loughery of LaSalle went there, perhaps partly because he thought he would have a better chance of playing football there.

I have no idea where your 1.25 figure comes from. Anybody who chooses a high school for their son solely on the basis of what college he'll more likely be able to attend is taking a very short-sighted view. And where did you come up with the notion that the Prep entrance exam is "impossible"? I've never heard anyone at the Prep say anything close to that.

You seem fixated on the Prep guys who ended up at PSU Abington. We can all pass around anecdotes--impossible to verify and, in any case, lacking any context--about people who went to various high schools and who ended up in far worse places than PSU Abington. Some never got a degree, or were convicted of serious crimes, or were not nice people, but a sensible person wouldn't draw conclusions about the quality of their high schools from such anecdotes. In general, Prep grads do well in college and in life after college. Most, it seems, think they got good value and values at the Prep and they show that in different ways, including sending their own sons there.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
If you are a high school senior with a very good academic background and could have your pick of the litter among colleges, but you still want to play football-then your options could be diminished. If a kid was told he most likely would not be able to compete at the D1 or D1A level, you can do a lot worse than a school like West Chester.

"You're right Tulla it wasn't 5.........
It was 3 on the 2014 team and 4 on the 2013 team ..."

Looks like another pathetic shot from the opposition !! I could name each player and frankly, each one wanted to play football at the highest level possible. Each one was also recruited. As far as your shot at West Chester, it speaks volumes to your sense of elitism which most of the board has come to expect from your background. Also, what's wrong with Penn State??

As far as SJP, it's a rigorous process. It may not necessarily make you smarter, but it will prepare you for the workload at the next level. How do I know? I sat in orientation for the engineering school at Pitt. I watched every hand go up when the Dean asked how many students were National Honor Society? How many students were in the top 10%? How many students scored over 1300 (out of 1600) on SATs? And every hand remained up. The Dean said "you were the top then, you are average now" .... it was very intimidating and humbling. These students were from some of the best school districts throughout the state and elsewhere. After the first semester, my son said 'thanks Dad' - I said 'you're welcome, I hope you're enjoying Pitt'. He said "it's not about Pitt, it's about the Prep". I didn't understand and he explained that he had class with a number of students that were smarter than him but they were struggling with balancing the workload in general. The majority were not prepared for 4+ hours of homework a day in college not to mention writing a paper or drilling down for an exam. I'm not trashing public education, I'm providing perspective for what it is that the Prep does. That's not to say it's a match every time, but it does force one to elevate their game so to speak. Beyond the workload, the Jesuits are wonderful educators of the entire person and work tirelessly to ensure that each student realizes the sacrifices made by many for them to attend and constantly remind the students that giving back is far greater than receiving.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this turned into a bash ?!

"You're right Tulla it wasn't 5.........
It was 3 on the 2014 team and 4 on the 2013 team ..."

Looks like another pathetic shot from the opposition !! I could name each player and frankly, each one wanted to play football at the highest level possible. Each one was also recruited. As far as your shot at West Chester, it speaks volumes to your sense of elitism which most of the board has come to expect from your background. Also, what's wrong with Penn State??

As far as SJP, it's a rigorous process. It may not necessarily make you smarter, but it will prepare you for the workload at the next level. How do I know? I sat in orientation for the engineering school at Pitt. I watched every hand go up when the Dean asked how many students were National Honor Society? How many students were in the top 10%? How many students scored over 1300 (out of 1600) on SATs? And every hand remained up. The Dean said "you were the top then, you are average now" .... it was very intimidating and humbling. These students were from some of the best school districts throughout the state and elsewhere. After the first semester, my son said 'thanks Dad' - I said 'you're welcome, I hope you're enjoying Pitt'. He said "it's not about Pitt, it's about the Prep". I didn't understand and he explained that he had class with a number of students that were smarter than him but they were struggling with balancing the workload in general. The majority were not prepared for 4+ hours of homework a day in college not to mention writing a paper or drilling down for an exam. I'm not trashing public education, I'm providing perspective for what it is that the Prep does. That's not to say it's a match every time, but it does force one to elevate their game so to speak. Beyond the workload, the Jesuits are wonderful educators of the entire person and work tirelessly to ensure that each student realizes the sacrifices made by many for them to attend and constantly remind the students that giving back is far greater than receiving.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this turned into a bash ?!

Elite - Look in the mirror - All schools have homework - Homework wasn't invented by the prep.
NHS - yeah all schools have that also
Work load, managing, studying, homework, tests, raising hands at college,
yeah all the other schools have that too - oh and my kid's colleges have a Dean who ask questions also. Just b/c you paid it doesn't mean it was worth it but you are trying to justify it!

Elite - Look in the mirror - All schools have homework - Homework wasn't invented by the prep.
yeah all the other schools have that too - oh and my kid's colleges have a Dean who ask questions also. Just b/c you paid it doesn't mean it was worth it but you are trying to justify it!

I don't know about that FBU82. As Roxy said, it doesn't mean you are head and shoulders above everyone. It means you're prepared for the future. Time management, how to study, how to move forward in life, service to community....it is all part of the tuition. And for all that, you don't have to justify anything. I don't want to start sounding pious but they are Catholic schools!! That is part of the selection process equation by the parents, I would think.

Last edited:
I simply don't understand the point of going way off topic--the was a thread about rankings and the strength of different schools' schedules--to attack a high school.

Reactions: ed o'brien
I simply don't understand the point of going way off topic--the was a thread about rankings and the strength of different schools' schedules--to attack a high school.
I agree . This is a football forum and not education and costs comparison forum . I read these same things about the Prep earlier this year from the same person . Find another situation to vent your venom . You have good football posts . Stick with those.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT