ADVERTISEMENT

laurens first and goal camp at Lafayette

Mactatty

Apr 2, 2015
Great camp yesterday at Lafayette but not a lot of philly guys,I'm guessing since Lafayette is not a division 1 school players don't want any parts of it.there were a lot of college representatives there watching players.jim harbaugh was the guest speaker and Kyle flood was also there
Was fun to watch and a chance to meet a lot of players from all over

Great camp yesterday at Lafayette but not a lot of philly guys,I'm guessing since Lafayette is not a division 1 school players don't want any parts of it.there were a lot of college representatives there watching players.jim harbaugh was the guest speaker and Kyle flood was also there
Was fun to watch and a chance to meet a lot of players from all over

I wanted to add that I totally agree with you. Out of any camps to be at, this should've been at the top of the list for a lot of these kids.

Im pretty sure Lafayette is Division 1 there in the Patriot league. And i think there now full scholarship also.

Reactions: ed o'brien
Regardless everyone should consider going to camps no matter what division the school is holding the camp it's good to put your name out there because there is no guarantee your going d1

Lafayette is an FCS level school, same as Delaware, Villanova, etc. The Patriot League is now in it's third year of offering football scholarships. Previously, the league operated on the Ivy League model for football. The league has had some national level success (Colgate played Delaware for the national title in 2003, Lehigh and Fordham have made playoff runs) but I think we'll see a very competitive conference now that 3/4th of the rosters will be on scholarship.

I wouldn't say that "recruiting all over" is a new thing for Lafayette. Scholarships have opened up their board, for sure, but they've had recruits from all over the country, largely helped by the schools academic reputation. Just at the quarterback position alone they've had recent starters from Canada, Southwest Ohio, North New Jersey, and eastern Tennessee. They've also had a particularly strong presence in Florida for years before scholarships.

Not sure why Philly kids would avoid Lafayette. Joe McCourt, Marvin Snipes, Maurice Bennett, Leo Plenski, Marcel Quarterman, Matt Smalley, Mike Wojick, a good number of Philly area kids have been successful there. Kyle Mayfield from North Penn looks like he'll be their starting tailback this year. In general, it's been tough for them to beat Villanova for kids in their own back yard, but now that the financial playing field is even, I'm not sure why more Philly area kids wouldn't consider Lafayette. Stay away from Lehigh though...

Lafayette is an FCS level school, same as Delaware, Villanova, etc. The Patriot League is now in it's third year of offering football scholarships. Previously, the league operated on the Ivy League model for football. The league has had some national level success (Colgate played Delaware for the national title in 2003, Lehigh and Fordham have made playoff runs) but I think we'll see a very competitive conference now that 3/4th of the rosters will be on scholarship.

I wouldn't say that "recruiting all over" is a new thing for Lafayette. Scholarships have opened up their board, for sure, but they've had recruits from all over the country, largely helped by the schools academic reputation. Just at the quarterback position alone they've had recent starters from Canada, Southwest Ohio, North New Jersey, and eastern Tennessee. They've also had a particularly strong presence in Florida for years before scholarships.

Not sure why Philly kids would avoid Lafayette. Joe McCourt, Marvin Snipes, Maurice Bennett, Leo Plenski, Marcel Quarterman, Matt Smalley, Mike Wojick, a good number of Philly area kids have been successful there. Kyle Mayfield from North Penn looks like he'll be their starting tailback this year. In general, it's been tough for them to beat Villanova for kids in their own back yard, but now that the financial playing field is even, I'm not sure why more Philly area kids wouldn't consider Lafayette. Stay away from Lehigh though...

Excellent points. I just started paying more attention in recent years so that was a bad choice of words.

Regardless everyone should consider going to camps no matter what division the school is holding the camp it's good to put your name out there because there is no guarantee your going d1

Absolutely! I try to make the kids aware of the Division 2 camps as well. I know the one at West Chester in May had multiple schools there. More should have definitely made the trip. You can't beat the value, having all of those other schools there.

Del Val charter I didn't see them but there wa so many I could of missed

DelVal Charter had 15 kids there. Two players received scholarship offers from Lafayette (Mikal Cherry and Desmont Pugh) and several other players are now being recruited heavily from this camp for scholarship consideration. There is not that many camps, except for maybe 'Sound Mind Sound Body' in Washington DC & Detroit, of the caliber of Lauren's. One, its for a great purpose and two, high school coaches are allowed to stand side by side with D1 through D3 head coaches while their player competes.

Awesome day.

Oh wow, i forgot Pugh received an offer as well. That's great news! I had a few kids tell me the same thing as far as them getting more interest from schools now. I would've went to that camp if i didn't have to go to Rivals just to check out the PA kids.

Yes it was great more philly teams need to show up it was so organized teams had there own tents with banners it was cool also was a great way for incoming seniors to get looked at.....remember there is more out there than just division 1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT