ADVERTISEMENT

LaSalle wins 29-28 over St. Joe's Prep

Tulla we will add 2015 to our list.

For those not at the game this game turned at the end of the first quarter. Prep had gone up 14-0 and LaSalle were on their heals and had nothing going. Lasalle was on their own 30 and a receiver got wide open by 20 yards on a long pass which was right to him which he dropped. The Prep students started to laugh at him and all kinds of comments were directed at the kid from the Prep side. It struck a nerve and 7 plays later the game was tied and everyone knew this was a game.

Rinella was quoted that he had never beaten the Prep. Boy did he made sure that ended. Turnovers and penalties almost did Lasalle in but not today.

To the Prep game announcer who introduced the Prep as the 2 time state champ, well it won't be three.

Reactions: the_real_FballFan56
Congrats to La Salle! Must have been quite a contest.

Once again it's proven that the season is a long one.

LaSalle should march to the Gold now.. Nobody from the West will put up much of a fight.

Central Dauphin would be the best guess to playing them in Hershey.

A great defensive effort for LaSalle despite the two TD runs from Walls. Offensively LaSalle make some great plays and also missed making a couple more. Rinella's winning catch of a ball thrown in the midst of two Prep defenders was absolutely awesome - and I'd be lying if I said I didn't particularly enjoy the silence of Prep's surly mouth student section immediately following the catch. Congratulations to LaSalle - there couldn't be a better team going forward to represent the PCL with class and character!

A great defensive effort for LaSalle despite the two TD runs from Walls. Offensively LaSalle make some great plays and also missed making a couple more. Rinella's winning catch of a ball thrown in the midst of two Prep defenders was absolutely awesome - and I'd be lying if I said I didn't particularly enjoy the silence of Prep's surly mouth student section immediately following the catch. Congratulations to LaSalle - there couldn't be a better team going forward to represent the PCL with class and character!

Here is the catch:

After the first quarter I don't think the prep ran a play inside the LaSalle 40. Another great adjustment and defensive effort. Stienmetz got done what Gordon could not the past two years.

This lose must really sting. I mean losing to an underdog in a championship game! Brings back memories of those championships Gil Brooks lost to underdogs! But at least they'll have the rest of the winter to think about it!!

Last edited:
roxychknpoxy said:
Congrats to the Explorers - unfortunately, being out of town, I was unable to be there. Sounds like it did come down to last possession.

Prep has had some offensive dilemmas lately while LS has remained consistent. Also, success lends itself to contempt or content depending on how you see it. It's happened to each staff now at SJP in present and past and LS previous staff. Good luck to Coach Steinmetz and his team as they move forward.

Roxy,
It was a game for the ages, at least on our side. Fabulous high school contest between the two respected rivals.
Talked to my old Prep friends following the game who were there. Think they summed it up best, Prep played as though they expected to win, LaSalle played as though they wanted it bad!

Little sloppy but very physical. LS loses 2 starting lineman and Jones played on essentially one ankle. Prep QB goes out in 2nd Half (not sure why?), didn't think he was much of a factor while in there, not a real threat in the passing game. Swift and Walls are dynamic, need to hold breath every time those two touch the ball. They broke loose on a several occasions, but the LS defense rose when it had to. Thought Prep pass defense was quite vulnerable, especially in middle of field giving up big plays. Ferguson's pick six at the end of 1st half could have been the game breaker, but he shook it off and the team responded with a continued spirited effort throughout 2nd stanza. LS remained un-deterred even after Wall's TD long run put them up 11. They weren't going down today!!

Not sure how far this LS team will further advance, wasn't "expecting" a deep run (however we were hopeful ;)), but for tonight and this week, the spoils are sweet..

LaSalle won the football game, but I didn't realize it was a contest of morality--as if some shouted remarks by some Prep fans energized the forces of good, i.e. LaSalle.

I thought the biggest turning point was fairly early in the 3rd quarter when after LaSalle punted to the Prep, the Prep fumbled on about their own 35. After that--aside from the TD run by Walls--LaSalle seemed to have more energy and determination. Still, if Rinella doesn't make that terrific catch, the Prep almost certainly wins. It really is a game of inches.

Hard to tell how much Shaw having to leave the game hurt the Prep, but it did hurt some. He didn't have a great game, but he did make a few good throws. His replacement was more one- dimensional. (Was Kidd-Jackson hurt for the Prep? I was expecting him to come in like he did much of the year, but he wasn't dressed. And I was surprised that it wasn't Logo who didn't come in after Shaw was hurt. He was the go-to guy when Shaw was injured against Judge and did quite well.)

I wish LaSalle well from here on out and hope their injured linemen can return next week.

Wow, Infante was way out coached. If that is possible as Lasalle had a boat load of penalties and SJP was worse. Cant get my head around that one. SJP clearly had more talent and LS came out ahead?

Congrats to Coaches Steinmetz, D'Adonna and those who returned to the program in light of a rather turbulent off-season. I'm sure the LS Administration took notice and realizes the continued support required to battle our Jesuit foes. I understand it's not easy in these times, hopefully the Alumni base will continue to be supportive to the academic AND athletic operations of the school, myself included.

Hail to the "Hubcap"...

LaSalle won the football game, but I didn't realize it was a contest of morality--as if some shouted remarks by some Prep fans energized the forces of good, i.e. LaSalle.

Its Karma. In a game won by those more determined little things make a bid difference. Don't know if you were at the game but those 45 seconds at the end of the first turned the entire game.

Its Karma. In a game won by those more determined little things make a bid difference. Don't know if you were at the game but those 45 seconds at the end of the first turned the entire game.
I'm not sure about Karma and I have no interest in downplaying what was a great win by LaSalle (players and coaches), but I think the game had a few key turning points. I'd say that Prep fumble in the 3rd quarter--caused by a good hit from the LaSalle defender--was at least as key. Given how the game ended, the loss of Shaw may also have been a turning point. A tough spot for the sophomore QB. With 20/20 hindsight, it's easy to say Longo should have replaced Shaw.

There are few more high level D1 athletes in the grey or black unis this afternoon. A little under achieving imho. We need to do better. The school does a lot for the kids to get this result. GI will get it fixed.

There are few more high level D1 athletes in the grey or black unis this afternoon. A little under achieving imho. We need to do better. The school does a lot for the kids to get this result. GI will get it fixed.

Not until next year!! He's got the whole offseason to figure it out!!

A let down game looms for LaSalle. Enormous win to say the least but they better be focused when it comes to playing Gratz this week. They are BIG up front. Not a bad team by any means.

I caught the last couple of minutes from Rick O'Brien's periscope stream.
What a great win for Lasalle, Congratulations !!!!. Next week should be a good game.
A let down game looms for LaSalle. Enormous win to say the least but they better be focused when it comes to playing Gratz this week. They are BIG up front. Not a bad team by any means.[/QUO

Congrats to LaSalle and all of their coaches and supporters. Monumental effort yesterday. However, all of the people mentioning on this site that LaSalle will skate easily to Hershey are conveniently forgetting about a red and grey team from Lehigh Valley. That will definitely be another tough game that most probably won't favor LaSalle. Also have to make sure they don't look past Gratz as well.

To be fair, until a team from the Lehigh Valley beats a team from the PCL, theyre the favorite until proven otherwise.

That being said, Parkland has played as well over the last six weeks as they have at any point in Jim Morgan's tenure.

Congrats to LaSalle and all of their coaches and supporters. Monumental effort yesterday. However, all of the people mentioning on this site that LaSalle will skate easily to Hershey are conveniently forgetting about a red and grey team from Lehigh Valley. That will definitely be another tough game that most probably won't favor LaSalle. Also have to make sure they don't look past Gratz as well.

There is only 1 post on this thread that mentions LaSalle having an easy path from here. Most of the LaSalle faithful (myself included) are thrilled about yesterday's victory and excited to be advancing. LaSalle should be favored over Gratz but I'm worried about a letdown as others on this thread have referenced I agree with CYOBall1 that Gratz is no slouch (e.g. they put up 30 points against Wood early in the season and scored 54 points in the Pub title game). I'm confident that Coach Steinmetz and the entire staff will be preaching one game and a time and working hard to keep the team focused only on the task at hand.

That was some troll from Central PA trying to motivate his team.

Really! You have an SJ nametag and you aren't familiar with Delco or Parkland? Put down the bottle buddy. I think you missed the last couple years of high school football. Parkland is definitely a threat to go to Hershey. If you don't think that, you must be a soccer fan who casually follows football. Just in case you think you are on twitter I'll give you a #clueless

Putting LS automatically into the quarterfinals is a bit premature. Gratz is big, athletic, they can run the ball with multiple backs, and the passing game has steadily improved throughout the year. LS can be efficient, but isn't explosive offensively. So, if Gratz can keep their emotions in check and do a decent job in the attention to detail department, then maybe this is interesting.

IA .... If your talking about my post, I was agreeing with you. That the Penn State Nate post was just some guy trolling. He can't believe that. I do believe SJP was the East best chance to have/keep the title. Not to be this year.

Sorry buddy saw you quoted me and I was thinking WTF. Yeah Parkland and St. Joes were my favorites. Who knows, lets see what LaSalle can do but Parkland has a very good d and very tall wideouts. Not to mention Roman will probably send Parkland all Lasalle's offensive signals. Hehe

Sorry buddy saw you quoted me and I was thinking WTF. Yeah Parkland and St. Joes were my favorites. Who knows, lets see what LaSalle can do but Parkland has a very good d and very tall wideouts. Not to mention Roman will probably send Parkland all Lasalle's offensive signals. Hehe

Congrats Coach Steinmetz and the boys; there were plenty of times you could have quit but never did. Job well done; congratulations again!

Putting LS automatically into the quarterfinals is a bit premature. Gratz is big, athletic, they can run the ball with multiple backs, and the passing game has steadily improved throughout the year. LS can be efficient, but isn't explosive offensively. So, if Gratz can keep their emotions in check and do a decent job in the attention to detail department, then maybe this is interesting.

Huck, agree about folks being premature and everything you say is true but I think you're overlooking one thing about LS. No slight to Gratz intended. We agree LS may not have the explosiveness of some of the teams of the past decade but there is one intangible this team has the others may not have had. The other squads may not have needed it due to their talent level. These LS kids just do not quit, ever! Not on a play, not on a game, not on each other.

When I look back on this season I see Nick Rinella running down and catching Yeedee from behind, diving at the last second and saving a sure TD. Yeedee, a noted speedster, had at least a 20 yard, open field lead. Think there's any quit in Rinella? Not a drop. The kid plays his heart out every game as do so many on this squad. Yesterday, there were half a dozen times where many teams would have packed it in and quit; these kids just kept getting up and coming back.

So, if next weekend is tight, you know where my money will be; if they lose again this season it will not be because they quit. They are not just tough physically but mentally and emotionally as well.

Last edited:
JB, l don't think anyone would accuse these kids of quiting. However, two possibilities are very much real. One, they just won an extremely physical Catholic League. They are beat up. It would surprise me if they could even practice tomorrow. Two, after such an emotional win over an arch rival in which they were clearly the underdog, its tough to get back up the next week over a team everyone expects them to beat. Can be very tough. I believe that was Hucks point but I don't want to put words in his mouth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT