ADVERTISEMENT

Did you every wonder how great players end up at catholic schools in the middle of the year I DO

Central League Commish

Feb 6, 2016
So lets air it out and how it works I have been told by multiple delco teams that kids on these Catholic school teams, let's just say such as West Catholic,Bonner,and so on. The kid from Catholic school who knows some of the best players on these teams from the delco area will text the player say this number will call you, then the number will call and that number is 75% of the time a coach and 25% of the time an associate of that coach or team makes contact to the kid and the process begins, with promises of college scholarships and very reduced tuition for the school. Sounds fair Huck. Play in your own playground

When is enough enough? At the college level this type of situation is dealt with swiftly and the consequences are rather harsh. The big difference is the honor code that these high school coaches- mainly coach supersize me- don't follow.

This has always been going on but to be so blatant and use your own kids to send messages out for you that " say someone will call you from this number " is crazy.if you want to offer a kid some type of reduced tuition do it when the kid is a freshman, not when he is a junior or senior and you what that kid to win games for you when he is instilled in a area school already. Know if the kid wants to go on his own that's another story and no problem, but if these multiple schools that contacted to let me know, want me to I will post the school that are doing this and the person's name who is making contact w proof of screen shots of texts messages and all ready recorded conversation they have I will. So stay away, and once again just play in your own playground. Oh I forget you can't play in your playground because your playground is all ready ditching you for Imhotep where they have a proven track record recently of getting the athletes scholarships and a education that does not envolve juco schools after because they don't have the grades for the clearinghouse and that's your excuse you are using is they will get a better education. News flash there is not a school in Delco that does not offer a good education. Now I hate to use examples but let's go back two years ago when Algeo was at Ohara and made all these promises to the big lineman from garnet valley, and his father comes out and says he wanted his son to have a Catholic education then Algeo passes away and he goes back to garnet valley. Well if the Catholic education was so important than it would have not mattered who the new coach was you wanted a "Catholic education" so stay but as we all know he went back to garnet valley because he would have been able to graduate early supposedly . Well another news flash rutgers pulled there scholarship and he is going to a post grade school or some nonsense. The same situation with the receiver from interboro that year he left for a better Catholic education and Algeo passes away and he goes back to interboro. For everyone out there once again there is not a bad education at any Delco school. It's up to the kid if he wants the good education as far as I know every single school in delco has national honor societies and Offers level 1 and honors classes taught by state certified teachers.........The PIAA know what goes on that's why in certain situations they have meetings to decide if it is for athletics or education and the public school can fight it, but it doesn't always workout for the school and program that spend time developing the player. Wake up PIAA

I'm sure I agree with your post, but take a breath in between sentences, add a period or comma here and there, and re-read what you typed. Your message would be more well-received.
Besides that, PIAA does need to step up and do something.

Reactions: paul from philly
Commish: the piaa does have a mechanism in place to stop this , but it requires school #1 to fight the transfer on the grounds of it being athletically motivated. Unfortunate , most schools in this area see the transfers as a way of life and few , if any , fight it. I think upper Darby fights any transfer to Bonner , but for the most part no othenscholl fights it. In Pittsburgh , they contest transfers all the time, at least in a larger percent than here. If they think it's fir sports , they fight it.

The only real way to stop it is to take the discretion away from it. Every kid who transfers has to sit out a certain number of games I think New Jersey has this rule. It was just used when the number 1 baseball prospect in America transferred from the IMG academy in Florida, back to his home school in jersey so he could play his senior year with his buddies. Didn't matter, it was a transfer and he has to sit out 30 days I think.

Reactions: ptomaselli
So, a guy who can't write a coherent sentence says it's happening, and that means it's true? Got it.

I'd love to respond, but I literally couldn't follow along. I wanted to read his next post, but my head hurt from reading the first one. Maybe I'll try later. Stay tuned.

Speed, what happened to Groome in NJ was a disgrace perpetrated by childish, vindictive adults.

I haven't heard of any transfers since the season ended. Not saying some didn't happen or that some others aren't pending. I don't know.

Anyway, could we start a list of "great" players leaving Delco schools and no attending PCL schools?

Start now....,.

Do you think a school like WC would contact kids in this manner? I'm not looking to get involved in this battle at all. Just curious to hear from a person with connections to their program. (Not exactly sure what your connections are but assumed from your user name).

Do you think a school like WC would contact kids in this manner? I'm not looking to get involved in this battle at all. Just curious to hear from a person with connections to their program. (Not exactly sure what your connections are but assumed from your user name).

I'm still trying to decipher what the manner is. It wasn't totally clear to me.

Look, in this day and age anything is possible. Do I think the HC at WC is telling his players to give him number to unsuspecting stars at Delco suburban schools? No.

Now, players tend to recruit players (friends) and this happens everywhere. Also, I believe 90% of the time that it's the kids looking for something that they perceive to be better. And that these kids generate the first move on a possible transfer.

So, a guy who can't write a coherent sentence says it's happening, and that means it's true? Got it.

I'd love to respond, but I literally couldn't follow along. I wanted to read his next post, but my head hurt from reading the first one. Maybe I'll try later. Stay tuned.
But Huck....this is such a fresh, new topic, one we've never discussed on the board!

I'm still trying to decipher what the manner is. It wasn't totally clear to me.

Look, in this day and age anything is possible. Do I think the HC at WC is telling his players to give him number to unsuspecting stars at Delco suburban schools? No.

Now, players tend to recruit players (friends) and this happens everywhere. Also, I believe 90% of the time that it's the kids looking for something that they perceive to be better. And that these kids generate the first move on a possible transfer.

You mentioned the HC, but do you think assistants might be taking part in this? I understand players recruiting other players.

You mentioned the HC, but do you think assistants might be taking part in this? I understand players recruiting other players.

No, I don't. Can I say for sure? Of course not.

And for the record, any coach reaching out to kids already in HS isn't right in my book. If a kid/family initiate contact then it's different. I have no problem with people wanting something better if they feel that way.

Agreed, that is wrong on all ends. Let's hope this isn't the case. Are there any current players on WC that were at other schools prior? Just curious as to what the numbers are.

Agreed, that is wrong on all ends. Let's hope this isn't the case. Are there any current players on WC that were at other schools prior? Just curious as to what the numbers are.

I can't speak on what it will look like come September, but yes their are kids in the program that started elsewhere, and will be returning next year fro their junior or senior years.

Keep in mind no PCL school has the level of turnover that WC has from year to year. And I'm referring to the general student body, which obviously trickles into athletics, too. Kids come and go for a multitude of reasons.

Late to the party on this worn out discussion..

1) PIAA is a semi-useless governing body.

2) Primer on upperclassmen recruiting/transfers available, $14.99/ $17.99 for hardback copy, contact football office-Warminster,PA.

Reactions: ed o'brien
Huck, the Grooome case might be vindictive , but at least there is a hard fast rule in place, and if you transfer , you sit. No exceptions. If the PIAA had something like this in place , it might stop the endless merry go round we see with some players , especially in basketball.

The Groome case reminds me of a less insane version of Alex Meade in wrestling probably ten years ago. Transferred from Caesar Rodney, Delaware to Christiansburg, Virginia. Transfer was blocked by VA because he moved in with a coach, not a parent or legal guardian. So he moved back with his parents in Delaware...and was considered an athletic transfer from Virginia and banned from competing for the year.

Naturally, when you can't wrestle in two different states, you move to the Lehigh Valley. His mom's sister lives in Easton and his cousins all wrestle, so Alex and his mom rented a house in Easton and enrolled him in school. And then, another school in the Valley filed a grievance with D11 and Meade was blocked from competing Pennsylvania as well, the third state in a six month period to rule him ineligible as an athletic transfer. That has to be a national record (it also seems to be the breaking point on the wild Wild West era of wrestling transfers up here, they've calmed considerably since the Meade case, at least from public to public).

There is no greater or more ridiculous transfer story.

Huck, the Grooome case might be vindictive , but at least there is a hard fast rule in place, and if you transfer , you sit. No exceptions. If the PIAA had something like this in place , it might stop the endless merry go round we see with some players , especially in basketball.

Speed, it's HS sports. I don't see what the big deal is if people wa t something else. It's friggin' America. Now, coaches doing unethical things to persuade kids is not good and I wouldn't agree with something like that.

I just don't understand why people get so bent out of shape with stuff that more times than not doesn't concern them or is any of their business.

I think this matter is blown way out of the water, we live in is a Country that built itself on "Freedoms". Freedom of Speech, Religion etc. It appears to me that greed and jealousy are at the root of this matter of students transferring schools. There is nothing wrong with a parent or kid making a decision to transfer for their own best interests. People change jobs, careers and move to/from school districts for their own best interest. Professional sports have "Free Agency" for the players own best interests.

Public schools are free for the students who attend and live in the school district and must accept students from outside their school district for their posted out of district tuition fee (similar to those of a the PCL) The public school district collects money from all property owners in their district to cover the cost of operating and managing their school district. Coaches are paid by the school district from these funds. Why should the property owners pay for stadiums and coaches, the constitution only says that we are required to provide an education for all children, not an athletic culture.

Why are people so high and mighty about making comments and decisions when a kid transfers for their perception of their own best interests? If a kid transfers, let him, why waste taxpayer dollars to stop it.

I think this matter is blown way out of the water, we live in is a Country that built itself on "Freedoms". Freedom of Speech, Religion etc. It appears to me that greed and jealousy are at the root of this matter of students transferring schools. There is nothing wrong with a parent or kid making a decision to transfer for their own best interests. People change jobs, careers and move to/from school districts for their own best interest. Professional sports have "Free Agency" for the players own best interests.

Public schools are free for the students who attend and live in the school district and must accept students from outside their school district for their posted out of district tuition fee (similar to those of a the PCL) The public school district collects money from all property owners in their district to cover the cost of operating and managing their school district. Coaches are paid by the school district from these funds. Why should the property owners pay for stadiums and coaches, the constitution only says that we are required to provide an education for all children, not an athletic culture.

Why are people so high and mighty about making comments and decisions when a kid transfers for their perception of their own best interests? If a kid transfers, let him, why waste taxpayer dollars to stop it.

Couldn't have said it any better. What are you doing during primary season Sam??

Sam,
Would agree with your premise.

Problem is when the "greed and jealousy" (btw.. that's chapter's 2 and 7 of the Warminster recruiting/transferring Primer) are at the root of the over-zealous coaching few, then it clouds and at times totally obscures what the parents/student athlete primary intention actual was.

When the "intent" and "best interest" desires are directed primarily by the student athlete/family, have no problem with that, that's American as apple pie. Unfortunately the cut-throat nature of perusing high-school athletes(by the FEW) has permeated our h.s. sports culture, that to me is a shame.... and a reality.

Reactions: bohucon
I don't think the freedom to move from school to school was the reason for this thread. It was stated (without proof), that a local PCL school has been contacting Delco players using players and assistants. Sure a kid is free to go somewhere they choose, but when they are influenced for football reasons by football people, that is completely wrong.

We live in a competitive society. People are constantly being contacted by recruiters to switch workplaces. If a kid or a parent is contacted by another coach as ethically wrong that may be, the player and his parents should have the right to make what is the best decision for themselves and their son.

Switching teams in your junior or senior year may create more problems than people realize in being accepted by the new team and the fallout from the prior team that some of these people should really consider. But none the less it should be their choice. These are kids and they are trying to position themselves the best they can for their future. And if they choose a non-public school then that is one less child being paid for with taxpayer dollars. Multiply that by a larger number of students and that is a huge savings on society.

Nice post, welcome Sam.

I don't think the freedom to move from school to school was the reason for this thread. It was stated (without proof), that a local PCL school has been contacting Delco players using players and assistants. Sure a kid is free to go somewhere they choose, but when they are influenced for football reasons by football people, that is completely wrong.

Yea, still waiting for the original poster to start that list.

I had to gather some more info before posting again Huck, I know a WC player went to a camp with 3 very good lineman from a school in delco. This player texted the three d-lineman from the same delco school the text read this number will call you, soon enough the number called and someone connected to WC was trying to recruit the players for next season. The players on the delco team notified there coaches and the coaches did a reverse search of the number and found out who made the call once the number was provided to them. If the coaches want me to post the name and number on the board so we can see if the individual who called is connected to a private school so be it. Then we can see if anyone on this board knows the name if that person and who they are affiliated with.

I had to gather some more info before posting again Huck, I know a WC player went to a camp with 3 very good lineman from a school in delco. This player texted the three d-lineman from the same delco school the text read this number will call you, soon enough the number called and someone connected to WC was trying to recruit the players for next season. The players on the delco team notified there coaches and the coaches did a reverse search of the number and found out who made the call once the number was provided to them. If the coaches want me to post the name and number on the board so we can see if the individual who called is connected to a private school so be it. Then we can see if anyone on this board knows the name if that person and who they are affiliated with.

Commish,
Who's to say the 3 delco lineman didn't make overtures to the WC player at the camp, that they might be interested in seeing "what's out there"?.... and then the WC player acted upon their verbalized interest.

See what I mean??.... there would be a lot of "he said/he said", "who said what first" sort of entanglements. When dealing with second/third hand info, would be difficult to suggest malfeasance.

I get the jest though..

Yea, find out the number. Also, send the actual text over, too. We'll investigate.

So, your telling me that a WC player sent three separate texts to kids saying this number will be calling you. Without these kids even knowing what was going on? Sounds fishy....

What is the school from Delco that you're referring to? Upper Darby?

I need more info. What kid from WC? What camp?

This sounds like kids talking to kids which impossible to stop and will never be stopped.

Yea, find out the number. Also, send the actual text over, too. We'll investigate.

So, your telling me that a WC player sent three separate texts to kids saying this number will be calling you. Without these kids even knowing what was going on? Sounds fishy....

What is the school from Delco that you're referring to? Upper Darby?

I need more info. What kid from WC? What camp?

This sounds like kids talking to kids which impossible to stop and will never be stopped.

Sounds like the commish may be on to something. Will he deliver with some proof?

Sounds like the commish may be on to something. Will he deliver with some proof?

Ball's in his court. My gut is phone # isn't a WC coach. And the HC has no clue of the story posted above. Tho, a different version possibly involving a single player from UD might be out there. Of course, the interest was generated by kid and nothing followed up on. So, nothing to see here.

Again, more than likely kids talking to kids and versions getting embellished somewhere along the line.

Commish, send me an email (teddycat10@aol) with what you got. I might be able to shed some light.

Ball's in his court. My gut is phone # isn't a WC coach. And the HC has no clue of the story posted above. Tho, a different version possibly involving a single player from UD might be out there. Of course, the interest was generated by kid and nothing followed up on. So, nothing to see here.

Again, more than likely kids talking to kids and versions getting embellished somewhere along the line.

Commish, send me an email (teddycat10@aol) with what you got. I might be able to shed some light.

I'm sensing you know more than you are putting out there. Commish loves stirring the pot.

I'm sensing you know more than you are putting out there. Commish loves stirring the pot.

Everyone is sensing something :)

On the specifics that the Commish mentioned I know nothing about. I asked and the HC knows nothing about it either. There are no "really good" Delco transfers at WC right now. Furthermore, I don't believe any WC assistants are blindly calling players at other schools.

Reactions: ed o'brien
Huck: Just playing devils advocate here-do you really think this would be something that Fluck would admit to doing-and if he did admit it to you-would you post it on this board?

Huck: Just playing devils advocate here-do you really think this would be something that Fluck would admit to doing-and if he did admit it to you-would you post it on this board?

I agree. Huck seems to know a lot about a certain incident involving a UD kid but then he stated that the HC has no clue about it. How would Huck know and not the HC? Please elaborate on that case.

Commish is that the team you are speaking of?

I agree. Huck seems to know a lot about a certain incident involving a UD kid but then he stated that the HC has no clue about it. How would Huck know and not the HC? Please elaborate on that case.

Commish is that the team you are speaking of?

Not really an incident. More of a common occurrence.

The short of it....

WC player tells HC that a kid from UD wants to transfer. The player gives UD player the HC's # and says he's going to call you. WC player just gave the # out. Kid calls. HC says if you're interested in transferring then you need to come up to school with your parent/s. It's a brief convo and that's the extent of it. UD player texts HC and says here's my mom's #. HC doesn't follow thru. He told kid that he needed to come to school and go thru proper channels. No other contact has been made.

As you can see this story is far different than the Commish's. Maybe, the commish is referring to something else. If so, WC HC has no clue what it is.

Are we clear now?

Listen burrs 5/ Huck why would you mention UD I did not mention any school names and why would you want me to email you so you can "shed some light on the situation" I think you know what happen and what went on and it also happened at other delco schools I don't know anything about UD but I do know about other schools in delco. So if you want to shed light on the situation do it on the board because the coaches know the number and know who it is and what school they are affiliated with. If I get the info and they want me to put it out there I will, but it sounds like you know what happen. I understand kids try to get there friends to go to school with them I totally get it but when an adult calls the kid and tries to convince him that's crap. If the kid what's to transfer on his own fine but I don't think it's right for an adult to make calls to the kid and try to convince him once again stay in your playground because these coaches have the proof and will take this to the PIAA, even we all know they don't care.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT