ADVERTISEMENT

CB West vs GV Week 0

bucksftball

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2020
Obviously, a good opening win for the Bucks coming off the crushing loss of their senior QB / FS. Have been waiting for a box score to be posted but nothing online yet, so only have some minimal stats from an alumni Facebook page. The things that stood out to me from the game:

1. West ran for 348 yards to 49(!) for GV. Bucks dominant up front on both sides of the ball. GV looked pretty big up front and ran a ton of subs in constantly. Lots of helmet tapping, they were gassed on a warm night where West controlled the ball for most of the game. I'm going to guess that West doubled GV's time of possession. OLB Matt Cleland and DE Jack Williams were as good as advertised. It really flipped the script on how to beat GV, it's not usually a good idea to try to beat them at their own game.

2. West played a lot of different guys in the secondary and were missing the two projected starting safeties in Ganz Cooper and Cooper Taylor (who played his first varsity game at QB) Had some breakdowns, but got 4 picks, 3 of them off of errant throws from hits of the QB, and one from a great break on the ball by McFadden.

3. Cooper Taylor scored on a 62 yard Q sweep on the first play from scrimmage, finishing with 178 yards on the ground. It's good when your backup can also run the ball like Ganz would have this year. HB Ryan Clemens added 111 yards and ran through the first tackler or two on every play. He's going to be a problem for teams this year.

4. It's hard to tell where GV is right now. If the QB is indeed seriously injured, and he was moved there for lack of another option, that's a big problem going forward. As I said they were big up front but the combination of West keeping their O on the field and pounding the ball at them all night... they just didn't seem to be the classic GV team. Only time will tell if that was because of West's play, GV being down, or a combination of the two.

Reactions: lilromeo and HSFB99
Any insight on Week 2 vs UD?
Not really, secondary has to play better. UD had a nice week one win but honestly don’t know anything about what they’ve got coming up to replace their losses. With that said, they’re always good.

Last year the UD game was by far the worst performance of the year. I don’t expect a repeat of that.

Not really, secondary has to play better. UD had a nice week one win but honestly don’t know anything about what they’ve got coming up to replace their losses. With that said, they’re always good.

Last year the UD game was by far the worst performance of the year. I don’t expect a repeat of that.
The Bucks are a different team this year and I believe they will rock Upper Dublin . That QB UD had last year I believe is at Boston College was outstanding.

Reactions: Stalker
The Bucks are a different team this year and I believe they will rock Upper Dublin . That QB UD had last year I believe is at Boston College was outstanding.
I believe someone on here said Upper Dublin had some recruits last year. Not this year?

I believe someone on here said Upper Dublin had some recruits last year. Not this year?
I believe its their coaching that is driving their success overall. That QB was a bonus for them . They are drawing players in due to their success for sure.

And the public schools are superior to Wood academically and just as good as LS and SJP here in Upper Bucks. In the city is the case for academics, crime and other issues. Parents will figure it out; paying for private schools in districts that do better academically doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: bucksftball
And they did rock UD 37-7
Both G-Val and Up Dub were major rebuilds of superior personnel, not just "good" players in my view. That's not to take anything from them, just a 'schedule read' that has things shaping up well for them.
I think they go undefeated unless one of the Bucks schools beats them. Nice call on UD Lil !

Reactions: Aragorn
Both G-Val and Up Dub were major rebuilds of superior personnel, not just "good" players in my view. That's not to take anything from them, just a 'schedule read' that has things shaping up well for them.
I think they go undefeated unless one of the Bucks schools beats them. Nice call on UD Lil !
UD is definitely a major rebuild. I’d say that GV is less so, my take on seeing them too many times the past three years is:

2021>2022>2023. The 2021 team was probably their all time best team (I’m pretty sure their HC said that) with a back headed to Navy, their QB going to Notre Dame for lax, and very very good up front. They abandoned what they did against SJP from the very start of the game which was a shame. Last year’s team didn’t have any studs in the backfield and just executed really well week in and week out, and caught a good year with D1 being down. This year’s team, on paper, looks very similar to last year but didn’t execute up front like they have in the past, and didn’t play with the pad level and aggression you need to run veer. With that said, they did run all over a Ridley team that I thought was supposed to be back up this year so maybe they’ll turn things around.

It is also year 2 of a new young coach replacing a legend.

UD is definitely a major rebuild. I’d say that GV is less so, my take on seeing them too many times the past three years is:

2021>2022>2023. The 2021 team was probably their all time best team (I’m pretty sure their HC said that) with a back headed to Navy, their QB going to Notre Dame for lax, and very very good up front. They abandoned what they did against SJP from the very start of the game which was a shame. Last year’s team didn’t have any studs in the backfield and just executed really well week in and week out, and caught a good year with D1 being down. This year’s team, on paper, looks very similar to last year but didn’t execute up front like they have in the past, and didn’t play with the pad level and aggression you need to run veer. With that said, they did run all over a Ridley team that I thought was supposed to be back up this year so maybe they’ll turn things around.

It is also year 2 of a new young coach replacing a legend.
The difference the last two years (21, 22) is G-Val started throwing the ball after foregoing the one-dimensional approach that has been their hallmark for years; boring, predictable but winning option football. 2020 was covid, 2019 saw them throw 83 times, 2018, 86. 2021 threw it 128 times at 70% for 1933 yards, probably a record number of throws/yds.
Last year's team was one of their most balanced if not the most balanced with Matt Mesaros throwing for 1289yds at 61% and rushing 96 times for 759yds. Their best ever dual option threat. Whereas Max Busenkell the year before rushed it 46 times for 330 yards. 2021's team had a 46-14 PF-PA scoring avg, 2020's 35-13. Bottom line, they had strong quarterbacking the last two years and a more diverse offense. They still got rocked by SJP both years but that's not the point of your thread.
This year's team has gone back to one-dimensional option football, rushing for 369yds on 43 carries vs Ridley, completing 2 of 6 passes for 72yds. Being game #2 and old rival Ridley, that may be an anomaly. Always fun running it down your rival's throat! Check next week's game stats.
They're probably ok schedule wise (Haverford School?), until playing Marple-Newtown in October.
I know how the old staff did things. New guy? So I guess it's wait and see.

I believe it is still the same staff, at least it was last year. Coach Ricci didn’t coordinate the offense or defense. Both of those coordinators have remained in place. They still have great coaches and a boatload of players. Maybe the talent has just dipped this year. That’s ok - public schools will always be susceptible to the ups and downs of the talent in the building (that’s part of what makes HS football so fun!). Anyway, put me in the camp of GV eventually righting the ship even if it might not necessarily be this year. To be clear, that’s not a shot at Ricci - I happen to think he’s one of the best coaches ever. It’s a compliment to him; he left a great infrastructure for the new HC.

I believe it is still the same staff, at least it was last year. Coach Ricci didn’t coordinate the offense or defense. Both of those coordinators have remained in place. They still have great coaches and a boatload of players. Maybe the talent has just dipped this year. That’s ok - public schools will always be susceptible to the ups and downs of the talent in the building (that’s part of what makes HS football so fun!). Anyway, put me in the camp of GV eventually righting the ship even if it might not necessarily be this year. To be clear, that’s not a shot at Ricci - I happen to think he’s one of the best coaches ever. It’s a compliment to him; he left a great infrastructure for the new HC.
He's one of the best! I'm not sure the 'ship needs righted' as CB West was a righteous loss on the road followed by a rout (close moments) of Ridley, shutting their running game down to 51yds! As said, they have a boatload of players and some groups take longer to coalesce. They lost a lot of senior leadership last year and a heck of a Qb.

Reactions: HSFB99
Their feeder program is outstanding.Ricci was certainly a coach that knew how to develop a winning program.I get the vibe that coach Rowan at West has the same ideas.

The difference the last two years (21, 22) is G-Val started throwing the ball after foregoing the one-dimensional approach that has been their hallmark for years; boring, predictable but winning option football. 2020 was covid, 2019 saw them throw 83 times, 2018, 86. 2021 threw it 128 times at 70% for 1933 yards, probably a record number of throws/yds.
Last year's team was one of their most balanced if not the most balanced with Matt Mesaros throwing for 1289yds at 61% and rushing 96 times for 759yds. Their best ever dual option threat. Whereas Max Busenkell the year before rushed it 46 times for 330 yards. 2021's team had a 46-14 PF-PA scoring avg, 2020's 35-13. Bottom line, they had strong quarterbacking the last two years and a more diverse offense. They still got rocked by SJP both years but that's not the point of your thread.
This year's team has gone back to one-dimensional option football, rushing for 369yds on 43 carries vs Ridley, completing 2 of 6 passes for 72yds. Being game #2 and old rival Ridley, that may be an anomaly. Always fun running it down your rival's throat! Check next week's game stats.
They're probably ok schedule wise (Haverford School?), until playing Marple-Newtown in October.
I know how the old staff did things. New guy? So I guess it's wait and see.
New QB threw the ball well against West, but I assume it’s unclear how long he’ll be out? I figured that the lack of passing in game 2 was related to the backup having to step in. I’ve got nothing but respect for the GV staff and players. They get more done with their talent level than maybe anyone else in the state. Even in a down year I’d be surprised if they didn’t finish in the 8-2 range.

New QB threw the ball well against West, but I assume it’s unclear how long he’ll be out? I figured that the lack of passing in game 2 was related to the backup having to step in. I’ve got nothing but respect for the GV staff and players. They get more done with their talent level than maybe anyone else in the state. Even in a down year I’d be surprised if they didn’t finish in the 8-2 range.
Hopefully it's per injury. But Ricci 3 years ago had no trouble going with "next man up". He knew he had to make his offense more diverse.
There are more than a few great programs where it seems coaches like Ricci get the most from players. But GV has HUGE numbers coming out every year as the school even the community is 'all in', sometimes going with two platoons since I've followed them in early 2000s. Since 2006, they had 1 undefeated season (2020-covid 6-0), then 6-one loss seasons, 5-two loss seasons, 4-three loss seasons and 1-four loss season.

But others know how to max out talent too. The best I know of is 3A Wyomissing under Bob Wolfrum. When the Berks joined the Lancaster-Lebanon last year, they wanted them in the smallest section, #5. But they got Kutztown to swap, allowing them to play "up" in the LL-4 with larger schools like 4A Lamp-Stras, 5A Cocalico, 4A Conrad Weiser and 3A Berks Catholic. All others are 4A. They were tired of beating teams in a weak section in the Berks. Wolfrum is 350-87-1 and one of PA's greatest.

Believe it or not, the numbers are down this year at GV -somewhere in the 80's. That may seem like a crazy statement, but when you are used to getting 110-120 kids and are down 30-40, its a big drop.

And the game against Ridley was far from a blowout. Ridley was up at half time and it was a one score game with 4 minutes left.

After two weeks in we’re far from understanding how good squads are this year. That being said I wouldn’t write off Garnet, North Penn or Neshaminy just yet.

After two weeks in we’re far from understanding how good squads are this year. That being said I wouldn’t write off Garnet, North Penn or Neshaminy just yet.
Teams are rarely as good or as bad as they look in the first two weeks. Young teams mature, good coaches make adjustments and good teams have injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT