ADVERTISEMENT

Blowout state chips

I believe success formula will force them to 6A, but I am not positive. Someone else can check me on that.

nobody was saying this until Mcdevitt beat them, and nobody was praising this years line until they won the state

6'3 300 is an immovable object for 99% of high school teams
I saw McDevitt vs MC last year. I predicted McDevitt would beat Quip soundly because of that game. The #1 reason was the line play on both sides was night and day compared to what it was in 2021. Quips OL last year really didn't see an athletic front until McDevitt. McDevitt beat them with quickness last year.

6'3 300 means nothing if you can't get off the ball.

so what didn't these kids start over their lineman last year?

do you think Dallas was comparable to Bishop Mcdevit last year? where would Dallas finish in the wpial?
Because they were young. That's a silly argument. Let's take a player like bob sanders for Erie prep. He didn't start until his junior year so does that mean the kids that started his sophomore year is more talented then a NFL hall of famer. There's something that comes with age and experience as well.

I saw McDevitt vs MC last year. I predicted McDevitt would beat Quip soundly because of that game. The #1 reason was the line play on both sides was night and day compared to what it was in 2021. Quips OL last year really didn't see an athletic front until McDevitt. McDevitt beat them with quickness last year.

6'3 300 means nothing if you can't get off the ball.
they would've done the same thing to this Aliquippa team, but hey they beat Dallas so that makes them "better" right?

Because they were young. That's a silly argument. Let's take a player like bob sanders for Erie prep. He didn't start until his junior year so does that mean the kids that started his sophomore year is more talented then a NFL hall of famer. There's something that comes with age and experience as well.
i never once heard Coach Warfield or anybody in the media praise the line play of this Quips team all year, but all you heard about last year was their line, even the local news did stories on them

enough of the revisionist history that they were "fat and unathletic" all because they drew a far tougher matchup, the 2001 Patriots are not a better team than the 2007 Patriots because they won the Super Bowl and 2007 team lost

i never once heard Coach Warfield or anybody in the media praise the line play of this Quips team all year, but all you heard about last year was their line, even the local news did stories on them

enough of the revisionist history that they were "fat and unathletic" all because they drew a far tougher matchup, the 2001 Patriots are not a better team than the 2007 Patriots because they won the Super Bowl and 2007 team lost
Not sure what the 01 patriots or 07 patriots have to do with aliquippas line https://www.timesonline.com/story/s...ok-offensive-line-key-to-success/71753621007/ seems like coach and the media are praising them here. Only quip team to run the table.

Last edited:
Not sure what the 01 patriots or 07 patriots have to do with aliquippas line https://www.timesonline.com/story/s...ok-offensive-line-key-to-success/71753621007/ seems like coach and the media are praising them here. Only quip team to run the table.
my point is when one team wins the title and the other team doesn't, people automatically assume the team that won the title was better

only quip team to run the table yeah, but i'm pretty sure their team last year beats Dallas too so they could've been the first if not for timing

that article says two of their lineman last year were all state, and all three are playing college ball so yeah they weren't just "fat and unathletic"

my point is when one team wins the title and the other team doesn't, people automatically assume the team that won the title was better

only quip team to run the table yeah, but i'm pretty sure their team last year beats Dallas too so they could've been the first if not for timing

that article says two of their lineman last year were all state, and all three are playing college ball so yeah they weren't just "fat and unathletic"
I'm pretty sure they'll be some lineman this year with all state honors and their skill guys are a year older which is huge for kids. They will only get better and bigger. The players and coaches said this is their greatest team. They would know.

you think this years Quips beat Mcdevit last year?
Not really sure, but it would be a lot closer.

This year's McDevitt team had 9 returning starters back on defense.

If Quip DB's tackle better on the quick passing game, they might've won last year even with the poor OL play.

Not really sure, but it would be a lot closer.

This year's McDevitt team had 9 returning starters back on defense.

If Quip DB's tackle better on the quick passing game, they might've won last year even with the poor OL play.
Id take quips skilled guys over anyone else's in the state.

Reactions: sammyk
I liked when coach Walker stated that PCC is not the same as the Prep,he never had players from Ohio. I would say that if they wanted to go to PCC he would have taken them in a heart beat.They just didnt want to go there because they had their own good programs to attend in Ohio.

I liked when coach Walker stated that PCC is not the same as the Prep,he never had players from Ohio. I would say that if they wanted to go to PCC he would have taken them in a heart beat.They just didnt want to go there because they had their own good programs to attend in Ohio.
At the same time did he ever actively recruit in Ohio or WV? Did he ever promote PCC in those states?

I know he didn't do this -

Reactions: lilromeo
Coach Walker should’ve been asked if he ever had a player from outside a 25 min radius of PCC. He clearly doesn’t understand the proximity, or history, of SJP to NJ.

I don’t know the intricacies of the schools in the west, and based on his comments I don’t think he understands the intricacies of those in the east. I have a ton of respect for Coach Walker and all that he has accomplished, but I do feel he should be more informed before stating something like that in the paper.

At the same time did he ever actively recruit in Ohio or WV? Did he ever promote PCC in those states?

I know he didn't do this -

It’s done every year … also, why would a kid come from a distance, which has been that way for decades, to go to the Prep with the academic rigors and hours involved? Why? There’s no guarantee on anything and the school has no fields and limited resources for training, so why? For a PIAA state championship?? That is not on the top of any list. Is it a goal - yes. But the first thing SJP wants to do is win the PCL … PCL didn’t ask to be in PIAA … as coach Gordon from Lasalle said in 99/00, “coach brooks put the PCL back on the map” by playing a challenging schedule and then Lasalle took it to the next level by introducing the spread offense … PIAA “recruited” the league hard and now here we are. The reality is that Prep set a standard for itself decades ago and now less kids and playing and looking for the best conduit as a stepping stone. These kids need to be developed academically and athletically and I understand open enrollment is a huge advantage, but it’s always been that way in the PCL and like Roken said, the sacrifices are measurable … I do think the NIL mindset has bled down to the HS level and it is not good for sports IMO, but that’s where we are and I don’t mean that SJP is paying players, trust me, they can’t and nobody gets a full ride … we’ll see where all this goes but Prep isn’t doing anything it hasn’t done for decades and in some cases centuries

I think what would help a lot of us understand the current situation better is more transparency by the PIAA. Schools ARE ALLOWED TO RECRUIT, but only from their "feeder" schools, which is a list they need to provide to the PIAA. So where are those lists? Can you list as many as you want? How do we know how many transfers a school has? The PIAA has that info, just publish it. We hear about these hearings taking place for exceptions to the transfer rules, but they don't make public statements about any of them, and they seem to have different enforcement levels depending on the district committee involved. For me, if you make it all more transparent then you take away a lot of the rumors.

Not sure how many athletes this applies to, but the other dynamic currently is that some top athletes choose to re-classify to give themselves more development time. That's not allowed in the public schools, so they have to transfer to a private in order to do that.

But, he is accurate, correct with his comments, PCC and SJP are not the "same"

Which 5 are better?
ok- first- my reasons are the following: number of (and recent) wpial and state titles, general reputation, and last- "what resources do these coaches have?" Walker makes like 120 thousand bucks per year- some coaches make close to zero. Yes, Walker has done a lot, very good coach, but he had a lot of opportunities handed to him, by his dad, a legendary coach at Mt Lebo. His district, now, has a massive budget, and the parents raise tons of money- some of these guys below have done "more with less," IMO

1) Bill Cherpak- Thomas Jefferson
2) Mark Lyons- Central Valley
3) Mike Warfield- Aliquippa
4) Eric Kasperowicz- Mars
5) Donta Green- Westinghouse

Sure, maybe Walker could go in at 4- but what Green has done in the last two years is amazing and I really do not think Walker could have done what Kasper has done in the last years. And Walker has a longer "resume" than some of these guys- but I am talking about "best current FB coaches now" not "best of all time."

I think what would help a lot of us understand the current situation better is more transparency by the PIAA. Schools ARE ALLOWED TO RECRUIT, but only from their "feeder" schools, which is a list they need to provide to the PIAA. So where are those lists? Can you list as many as you want? How do we know how many transfers a school has? The PIAA has that info, just publish it. We hear about these hearings taking place for exceptions to the transfer rules, but they don't make public statements about any of them, and they seem to have different enforcement levels depending on the district committee involved. For me, if you make it all more transparent then you take away a lot of the rumors.

Not sure how many athletes this applies to, but the other dynamic currently is that some top athletes choose to re-classify to give themselves more development time. That's not allowed in the public schools, so they have to transfer to a private in order to do that.
uh, what? sorry- no idea the basis of this "schools are allowed to recruit?" 95% of the state of PA, this is there is no truth to that. In WPIAL / District 7, kids are ruled ineligible all the time, coaches are fired, or threatened w suspension of firing nearly every year for "recruiting." This lady had something posted on her TWITTER!! This lady had to go to REAL COURT to clarify this issue!!

steel- i agree- Quips line last yr was good not great- just b/c a kid is 6'3 and 300? A kid who is 6'0 and 240 might be a much better player- too many people think big=good
I think this year's McD team would have lost to this year's Quips team. Saw them and based on early season vs late season they really faded at the Manheim Central game looking completely out of character, then another poor performance vs Dallas; performances that would have seen Quips roll over them.
A couple things; their schedule was questionable and the O-Line (all new) shaky. They never developing a solid power or breakaway runner. Good stuff but sophomores passing 63% of time.

About talent level, from what I saw Belle Vernon has a lot of real talented players for a smaller school.

uh, what? sorry- no idea the basis of this "schools are allowed to recruit?" 95% of the state of PA, this is there is no truth to that. In WPIAL / District 7, kids are ruled ineligible all the time, coaches are fired, or threatened w suspension of firing nearly every year for "recruiting." This lady had something posted on her TWITTER!! This lady had to go to REAL COURT to clarify this issue!!

Well she was reaching out to a student at another high school, in a direct message, and it was NOT a feeder school. I'll attach a link to the PIAA manual below. Section 11 is about recruiting, and how it should be deterred, how harsh the penalties will be, etc... and then it goes on to list things that are considered "recruiting" and each time it gives the exception that it's okay if the student is in a FEEDER SCHOOL, for the private schools. That's covered in section 10. It also makes it easy to have open houses where you have other students in addition to athletes and goes into detail about what you are allowed to do.

I'm glad he's speaking out; the kids at the boundary schools need all the support they can get.

Well she was reaching out to a student at another high school, in a direct message, and it was NOT a feeder school. I'll attach a link to the PIAA manual below. Section 11 is about recruiting, and how it should be deterred, how harsh the penalties will be, etc... and then it goes on to list things that are considered "recruiting" and each time it gives the exception that it's okay if the student is in a FEEDER SCHOOL, for the private schools. That's covered in section 10. It also makes it easy to have open houses where you have other students in addition to athletes and goes into detail about what you are allowed to do.

SJP and LaSalle have never had "feeder schools." Other PCL schools haven't had them for over 25 years.

ok- first- my reasons are the following: number of (and recent) wpial and state titles, general reputation, and last- "what resources do these coaches have?" Walker makes like 120 thousand bucks per year- some coaches make close to zero. Yes, Walker has done a lot, very good coach, but he had a lot of opportunities handed to him, by his dad, a legendary coach at Mt Lebo. His district, now, has a massive budget, and the parents raise tons of money- some of these guys below have done "more with less," IMO

1) Bill Cherpak- Thomas Jefferson
2) Mark Lyons- Central Valley
3) Mike Warfield- Aliquippa
4) Eric Kasperowicz- Mars
5) Donta Green- Westinghouse

Sure, maybe Walker could go in at 4- but what Green has done in the last two years is amazing and I really do not think Walker could have done what Kasper has done in the last years. And Walker has a longer "resume" than some of these guys- but I am talking about "best current FB coaches now" not "best of all time."
Agree- 1) Bill Cherpak- he’s got a case to be greatest WPIAL coach ever, up there with Palko, Render, and honestly I’d say Walker Sr. now that I research him

Disagree-2) Mark Lyons- it’s close but I’d go Art

Agree- 3) Mike Warfield- He has “Leveled up” Aliquippa. He’s only in his 50s too so he could stack wpial/state championships

Disagree- 4) Eric Kasperowicz- he had a great run at Pine but it’s been kind of undermined by Ledonnes success there aswell. I think he has to prove himself again at mars

Disagree- 5) Donta Green- he would be above walker IMO if he won this latest state title. What he’s doing at a city school is impressive but he needs to finish the job next year to put him into the upper echelon

Is say walker Jr is a top 3 coach

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT