ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL 5A

As much as I like Peters D and all around balance in all phases they will have a tough night against Pine. I expect and easy win by Pine @ 17 plus. Will be close for a bit and then like Against PT will make them pass and iT won’t go so well.

Things worked out as expected in 5A. P-R rolled and Gateway couldn't finish. Up 19-0 at the half and then losing. See my other post about P-R. Its hard for me to understand how Gateway did that.

P-R vs. Peters for the championship, Saturday at 7:00 at North Allegheny.
I have a ton of respect for coach K and what he has accomplished at PR. Good luck !!.

Reactions: new2pa
I have a ton of respect for coach K and what he has accomplished at PR. Good luck !!.

I would not count out Coach Plack. This guy puts so much time into high school football.... the man never blinked an eye when his wife left him for his best friend...it was football only that mattered.......The man is raising his kids on the football field, gives them a iPad and basically says "get lost" til practice is over. This man puts coaching teenage boys before anything else in his life, Coach Placks life revolves around high school football. I could see Peters giving P-R a run for their money.

Don’t believe coaching will decide this one. I see PT hanging with PR for 1-2 Quarters maybe. Pr is at least 40-50 pounds heavier per man on the line and PT has a few guys both ways, and PR is bigger on the outside too. If PR just plays their game and doesn’t screw up I don’t see them not rolling this one.

Reactions: Soup13
I would not count out Coach Plack. This guy puts so much time into high school football.... the man never blinked an eye when his wife left him for his best friend...it was football only that mattered.......The man is raising his kids on the football field, gives them a iPad and basically says "get lost" til practice is over. This man puts coaching teenage boys before anything else in his life, Coach Placks life revolves around high school football. I could see Peters giving P-R a run for their money.
Wow KingDragone, sounds like Coach Plack needs to stop and smell the roses. Yikes!

Reactions: Soup13 and lilromeo
Both are well coached teams. I'm sure Coach Plack puts a lot of time in. I also think that P-R is too big and has too much talent. As Jacky said, P-R is bigger and I think have more play-makers.

If Peters can get a few first downs on every drive, then they have a chance. Or if P-R turns ball over a ton (like in the championship game last year), then they have a chance. If neither of those happen, I see P-R overwhelming Peters much like they did to SF and P-T.

Reactions: Soup13
Both are well coached teams. I'm sure Coach Plack puts a lot of time in. I also think that P-R is too big and has too much talent. As Jacky said, P-R is bigger and I think have more play-makers.

If Peters can get a few first downs on every drive, then they have a chance. Or if P-R turns ball over a ton (like in the championship game last year), then they have a chance. If neither of those happen, I see P-R overwhelming Peters much like they did to SF and P-T.
It doesn't take much to turn a game's momentum around....like a couple of breaks, scoring early for PT and of course playing well with energy. Dumb as it sounds in a 42-15 Central Dauphin loss to Central York, you can point to 4 plays (28 pts) that sealed it I'll probably mention next week. Just saying, if it can happen to a team as good as Central Dauphin...…..!

Reactions: Soup13 and new2pa
I watched some gateway/Peters tape and the key is Peters qb. He has to play the best game of his life to keep it close. I agree on the lines size and actually technically phenomenal. The line coach Is just excellent! I Thought he would get the Lebo job.Peters does everything off of the run so if they get put in the same position as penn Trafford It will not be good. Gateway in my opinion was robbed on the pick six penalty call. I know it was close but if it’s close and not sure let it stand as a pick six. I feel bad for those kids. Anyway , I like Pine by a lot I’m upping it to over 20. Both have great D but as the game progresses and Peter two way guys get tired with the fast pine pace big plays will follow.

Pretty much par for the course. Peters played hard I thought but not enough to stop P-R consistently. And P-R completely took Peters out of their offense.

I've watched a little GM on YouTube. Seem very 1 dimensional on offense. They run the ball. Very good RB and OL looks well above average. Have some big TE's. They remind me a little of PCC in mentality. Not as big up front and the RB's are better, but that same sort of grind it out attitude. On defense, they look pretty basic. Play man to man and bring a lot of pressure. Tackle the RB on the way to the QB.

Looking forward to this one.

Working on it. But it's looking tight as a …………………………………………..!
Working on it. But it's looking tight as a …………………………………………..!
New.

They are one dimensional but have been developing their passing in game situations, using Qb Maryniak for a 2” drill in a blowout on one occasion I know of. But yes, with a back like Nicholas Singleton (6-0, 210, jr) who all the majors are recruiting, they’ll pound it, especially with a fullback like Rb/Lb Brandon Strausser (6-0 215), a well under rated Rb/Lb Trey Rock (6-1, 190 jr) and a great line that understands the Mid Line Option. The mis-direction options get complicated if not familiar with. All 3 backs have attitude in their running, coming from the mean side of Reading. Tongue in cheek some but only a little. They’re tough kids from Shillington. PR will know they’re in a ball game.

Sophomore Aiden Martin (5-11, 180) is highly regarded, maybe D1 next season; receiver, safety, spec teams. Connor Maryniak is accurate when he does throw, 60%, 488 yards, 9/2 ratio. OL is vet and big enough with best being seniors Devonte Phillips (6-1, 255) and Dom Sheidy (6-2, 290). Mid line option with those guys and smaller inside with Alex Lopez (5-11 225, jr), Matt Griffith (5-10, 245, sr), Adam Hoffman (6-4, 215, sr). Also T/DT Mason Klahr (5-11, 260, sr) and Dylan Kohl (6-1, 272, sr). Tight end/D-end Cam’Ron Stewart (6-4, 240, sr) can be a terror both ways. Line/D-end Nate Goodman (6-4, 225, jr, lead in sacks) in shadow of Stewart but a good one. Like Pine they’ve played a representative but not necessarily hard schedule.

Bottom line about GM is they’re big (enough), close fast and have an athletic secondary. One of their best players, Eden Johnson (West Catholic transfer) is ineligible for the playoffs per PIAA transfer policy. That’s a loss, being #2 in interceptions in Berks Cty or Berks FB League.

Statistically I don’t have what I’d like to have with a small sample size, so I went with USC, Penn Hills, Penn Trafford and Peters Twp only for PR; For GM, Wilson. Exeter, Berks Catholic and Mechanicsburg only. Last week skews with GM idle and PR playing.

For PR, I don’t believe those 4 are “typical teams” or historically as strong as I’m used to working with, definitely not USC and Penn Hill, PTraf to a lesser degree. Would like to have seen PR play PCC or NA. For GM, the best they played were not their stronger editions either; Exeter and BC for certain, while Mechanicsburg was completely out of their league. The Wilson win was not an anomaly but skews the score per blow out. Their defining or illuminating game like PR vs PCC or NA would have been Warwick. Except for Wilson, I think PR played a more difficult schedule with the math just a lean their way at 3.91, a tight one!

Reactions: lilromeo and new2pa
@Stalker You're prediction was 3.91 points! It was a 4 point game. WOW!!!!!!!!
Its ashamed either had to lose but PR is a fine team. Too bad they're not playing St. Joe's instead of Cathedral and not pegged to this sad 6 classification system. Unless they are beat up from GM or over-confident, they'll smoke ECP. You've seen some teams enough to know PR, GM, can play with any of them. I like PR a little more with their variety of weapons vs GM's one dimension, tho they have one hell of a dimension. Love seeing Pine, GM, SJP and Harrisburg face off, thinking GM showed more vs PR than Central York has to date. I hope they hang with the Prep and make me eat my words. Love to see a good game whoever wins.

Its ashamed either had to lose but PR is a fine team. Too bad they're not playing St. Joe's instead of Cathedral and not pegged to this sad 6 classification system. Unless they are beat up from GM or over-confident, they'll smoke ECP. You've seen some teams enough to know PR, GM, can play with any of them. I like PR a little more with their variety of weapons vs GM's one dimension, tho they have one hell of a dimension. Love seeing Pine, GM, SJP and Harrisburg face off, thinking GM showed more vs PR than Central York has to date. I hope they hang with the Prep and make me eat my words. Love to see a good game whoever wins.
Stalk,
All due respect, St Joe’s is 4 touchdowns better than anyone in Pa. I doubt Harrisburg would be competitive with them.

Stalk,
All due respect, St Joe’s is 4 touchdowns better than anyone in Pa. I doubt Harrisburg would be competitive with them.
You may be right, probably are and I think that's sad, that there is a team out there that everyone knows can pound every other team in the state, almost year in and year out. What's the fun in that?

After what I saw, its possible that P-R and GM are the second and 3rd best teams in the state. I watched Central York vs. McDowell on NFHS and York is decent on offense, but not sure they would be able to stop GM, much less SJP.

Reactions: Stalker
After what I saw, its possible that P-R and GM are the second and 3rd best teams in the state. I watched Central York vs. McDowell on NFHS and York is decent on offense, but not sure they would be able to stop GM, much less SJP.
Unfortunately once a team stops playing for whatever reason, they seem less....diminished. But I can tell you Harrisburg was/is a legitimate team in my view so, I'd go with SJP, Harrisburg, Pine and GM with Central York slipping per giving up so many points despite winning. Who knows, maybe they show well against Hawks with a great Qb and wide out in Tomb. They have playmakers. A state final is new territory for Central York and you never know how a team deals with that. I think they'll deal well as Pribula is a cool customer and his playmakers are similar in attitude to Mifflin's. Tough city kids that won't back down. Pribula can motor (PR 2017?), they have good team speed, above average receivers, etc. Can Hawks handle Pribula nd his very good receivers?

Stalk - Matt Baker is their qb coach and offensive coordinator. A former player at Central York and Temple under Bruce Arians. I have much respect for him, tough ass, old school warrior. I’m sure he instills that with the offense. They will compete for sure. His son had a nice career their as qb. Had very solid numbers in 2010 and 2011. Should be fun Game to watch.

Reactions: Stalker and new2pa
Stalk - Matt Baker is their qb coach and offensive coordinator. A former player at Central York and Temple under Bruce Arians. I have much respect for him, tough ass, old school warrior. I’m sure he instills that with the offense. They will compete for sure. His son had a nice career their as qb. Had very solid numbers in 2010 and 2011. Should be fun Game to watch.
Thanks and good info, interesting. I'm curious how the game will go with CY loaded on offense, maybe unique with Pribula/Tomb. But then, I felt the same last year with Central Dauphin and the year before with Harrisburg who both fell. In CD's case, they came apart. Never seen that! Harrisburg in 2018 gave a better account of themselves in my view. That these teams can't even hang with the Hawks says something since both were good football teams. The gap between SJP and the rest is too often like 6A to 1A; not even competitive.

I don't know what happened to SJP vs. LaSalle in 2015, but my take is that you have to have a team that's much better than a collection of very good high school players. You have to have your own elite players or you don't stand much of a chance against Prep.

With P-R in 2017, besides Jurkovec, P-R had 3 FBS/FCS OL, a FCS WR, a Olympic level sprinter at CB along with Kenny White and a collection of very, very good high school players. Although Prep had won 27 in a row, people probably wouldn't say that team was as good as this team.

That's also what makes the 2014 game all the more impressive to me from a P-R perspective. With more or less only DiNucci , P-R hung around. Slomka was also on that team but didn't have many yards and I think got hurt.

Reactions: Stalker and Soup13
Thanks and good info, interesting. I'm curious how the game will go with CY loaded on offense, maybe unique with Pribula/Tomb. But then, I felt the same last year with Central Dauphin and the year before with Harrisburg who both fell. In CD's case, they came apart. Never seen that! Harrisburg in 2018 gave a better account of themselves in my view. That these teams can't even hang with the Hawks says something since both were good football teams. The gap between SJP and the rest is too often like 6A to 1A; not even competitive.
Prep played the CD game without it’s D1 quarterback and linebacker. Still had no problems with CD. I can tell you that football in District 1 and 11 is nothing compared to what it was 5 years ago. You’re the District 3 expert. I’m curious if you see the same thing there.

I don't know what happened to SJP vs. LaSalle in 2015, but my take is that you have to have a team that's much better than a collection of very good high school players. You have to have your own elite players or you don't stand much of a chance against Prep.

With P-R in 2017, besides Jurkovec, P-R had 3 FBS/FCS OL, a FCS WR, a Olympic level sprinter at CB along with Kenny White and a collection of very, very good high school players. Although Prep had won 27 in a row, people probably wouldn't say that team was as good as this team.

That's also what makes the 2014 game all the more impressive to me from a P-R perspective. With more or less only DiNucci , P-R hung around. Slomka was also on that team but didn't have many yards and I think got hurt.
Good points, you need more than a simple collection of very good HS players. I think CY has that. Haven't done the math yet that can be predictive....except that there is little to bite into playing 1st units for a 1/2, and a series into the 2nd half before flooding the field with reserves.

Prep played the CD game without it’s D1 quarterback and linebacker. Still had no problems with CD. I can tell you that football in District 1 and 11 is nothing compared to what it was 5 years ago. You’re the District 3 expert. I’m curious if you see the same thing there.
Being the District-3 expert....(everyone....please be seated)….I'd have to say yes, but not overwhelmingly so. Concussive issues and soccer are relatively new to the scene but influential. D3 is such a HUGE district, stretching from Reading and points east to beyond Chambersburg to the West. That's a lot of football turf so maybe I don't see it as readily. Governor Mifflin, Steel High, Harrisburg, Wilson, CD and others are better than ever. Weight room training, and the inclination to play one sport, off season programs? We played every thing. Now there is focused attention on the one thing instead of the many.
One thing that is different here in the Philly area is the demise of Catholic High Schools that has a pronounced impact. There aren't as many in D3; Berks Cath (merger of Reading Holy Name and Reading Central Cath) McDevitt, Delone Catholic still strong I feel as ever. One thing for certain, the established-historic power in D3 are still the established powers with a merger or two over the years, whereas in D1 per your question (CB West, Neshy, Pennsbury, Ridley...NPenn?) and D12, (GW, Frankford, West Cath, Roman ) you have great impact of school closures, expansions (CB-West/South/East, Downingtown splitting ) and Charter Schools and noticeable decline of programs. Harrisburg and the area have had good football for well over a 100 years and this carries over to a degree, plus the toughness of the Steel Mill influence (Steel High, Hburg, Middletown). Reading, but to a lesser degree has had good football for many years.
Once you get out of the medium/small cities which all of them are, York, Lancaster, Harrisburg and Reading, it's rural America over a wide swath of the district and rural America LOVES football, be that in Florida, Texas or PA. They love it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT