ADVERTISEMENT

Woods schedule

lilromeo

Gold Member
Apr 14, 2014
Wood has a tough schedule this year, with Neuman/Goretti which has a number of D-1 players ,Neshaminy, St Johns Washington DC, LaSalle,Malvern Prep and ST Joe Prep besides Judge and Roman. I think they are still a year away from their best team in awhile ,but still should be solid particularly on defense.

It’ll be interesting to see how they come together. It appears Mcdevitt and Wood have basically combined teams. By my count, they have at least 5-6 kids with Division 1 offers (and plenty more really good players). This is a really talented group. Based on talent, I expect them to handle everyone in the PCL besides St. Joes Prep. If the coaching comes along, I think they could challenge SJP.

It’ll be interesting to see how they come together. It appears Mcdevitt and Wood have basically combined teams. By my count, they have at least 5-6 kids with Division 1 offers (and plenty more really good players). This is a really talented group. Based on talent, I expect them to handle everyone in the PCL besides St. Joes Prep. If the coaching comes along, I think they could challenge SJP.
The Prep has three guys (David Washington, Omillio Agard, and Richard James) who will be sophomores next year and who already have offers from major SEC and BigTen teams. Josiah Trotter recently got an offer from Clemson and Keenan Nelson also has tons of offers. I think I also saw D1 offers for Brad Harris and Maurice Clark and would certainly expect Chadha and Klick to be getting some.

Anyone heard if James Heard Jr. is transferring to the Prep? The Prep twitter account noted his visit to PSU.

Good if Wood and/or LaSalle can challenge them.

I heard Prep had a stud jr DE transferring in from South Jersey, so I guess that is him. I expect SJP to win the 6A state championship pretty easily depending on what PCC returns and Wood’s coaching situation. I do think there’s a strong case to be made that Wood is the second most talented team in the state behind SJP. Both teams will be very young.

I heard Prep had a stud jr DE transferring in from South Jersey, so I guess that is him. I expect SJP to win the 6A state championship pretty easily depending on what PCC returns and Wood’s coaching situation. I do think there’s a strong case to be made that Wood is the second most talented team in the state behind SJP. Both teams will be very young.
I heard Wood may have a good young QB coming on strong this summer ,but yet to be challenged in real game time play. They have several very good receivers and a few talented RBs . Their o line should be strong also. Their Defense should dominate . I agree that the key ingredient will be their coaching. McD coach Mike Watkins will be their Defensive co ordinator ,At least thats what I heard. The Preps coaching staff is superb and their talent remains. I think this year will be different than the past few. LaSalle is always good . They open against a very good McD Harrisburg team. I cant wait for the season to begin.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
I heard Wood may have a good young QB coming on strong this summer ,but yet to be challenged in real game time play. They have several very good receivers and a few talented RBs . Their o line should be strong also. Their Defense should dominate . I agree that the key ingredient will be their coaching. McD coach Mike Watkins will be their Defensive co ordinator ,At least thats what I heard. The Preps coaching staff is superb and their talent remains. I think this year will be different than the past few. LaSalle is always good . They open against a very good McD Harrisburg team. I cant wait for the season to begin.
Roman should also be improved over their past performances . I didnt mean to leave them out. I know they also have some talented players this year. They just wont be able to compete with the top 3 imo.

Roman should also be improved over their past performances . I didnt mean to leave them out. I know they also have some talented players this year. They just wont be able to compete with the top 3 imo.
Agree. Roman is scrimmaging CB West this year. Looks like Roman has at least a few players with big time offers, but I don't know that they have the roster depth to compete with Prep, LaSalle and Wood.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo
Judge also showed some improvement in the spring over where they were in the fall of 2019.

Clearly the Prep will not have the same offensive firepower as they had last year.

Based on talent, it appears SJP and Wood are one and two. I’d put Lasalle and Roman three and four, respectively. But, I see them being a notch below them SJP and Wood.

Lasalle is always well coached which helps their case. The problem with SJP is not only are they the most talented team in the league, they also have by far the best coaching staff. It makes upsetting them a gargantuan task.

I’ll say it again, I don’t expect any PA team to knock-off SJP any time soon (3-4 years). They have a very strong young nucleus. It may not be McCord, Harrison, Trotter, etc but it’s still way better than any other team. Instead of being up 42 at half, maybe it’s 28. Wood appears to be the only team that can challenge them from a talent standpoint, but I have serious reservations about the coaching mismatch. Time will tell.

I believe the Prep still has a great amount of fire power. David Washington and Clarke will be tremendous this year. Obviously they lost a lot but I believe still have enough. Prep just picked up a huge transfer from south jersey.

Wood benefits greatly from Mcdevitt closing. They should be really good this year on paper. Curious to see how the pieces fit. Defensively they should be really good. They are also adding a head coach to their roster with Mike Watkins headed there.

Lasalle is still my favorite to push prep. Especially if they can answer the questions at quarterback. They still have Sam brown, Abdul, and Ryan Moore as well as a good offensive line and LB core.

Roman also benefits from Mcdevitt closing as they picked up Lyons, Mack, Montgomery and a few others. I believe they have a schedule even more challenging than Wood. Agreed there are questions about their depth but I also believe their top end talent is on par with the top of the league as they have 7 players with division 1 offers. Tyseer Denmark being the most notable. Best team is probably a year away.

Judge had a good spring season agreed. I also think they didn’t play anyone. Not their fault as it was most important to play. If they can get their young talent going and carry momentum things could turn around.

I believe the Prep still has a great amount of fire power. David Washington and Clarke will be tremendous this year. Obviously they lost a lot but I believe still have enough. Prep just picked up a huge transfer from south jersey.

Wood benefits greatly from Mcdevitt closing. They should be really good this year on paper. Curious to see how the pieces fit. Defensively they should be really good. They are also adding a head coach to their roster with Mike Watkins headed there.

Lasalle is still my favorite to push prep. Especially if they can answer the questions at quarterback. They still have Sam brown, Abdul, and Ryan Moore as well as a good offensive line and LB core.

Roman also benefits from Mcdevitt closing as they picked up Lyons, Mack, Montgomery and a few others. I believe they have a schedule even more challenging than Wood. Agreed there are questions about their depth but I also believe their top end talent is on par with the top of the league as they have 7 players with division 1 offers. Tyseer Denmark being the most notable. Best team is probably a year away.

Judge had a good spring season agreed. I also think they didn’t play anyone. Not their fault as it was most important to play. If they can get their young talent going and carry momentum things could turn around.
Another McD transfer to Roman is Nazario who will be a very solid lineman. I dont think Romans schedule is comparable to Woods non league with Penn Charter and Episcopal who are always good ,but not close to St Johns and Malvern imo. They have several D-1 players as you mentioned and will be much improved. Im not sure of their remaining non league opponents so maybe you have additional info on that. The PCL red has an abundance of highly touted players this year as in the past . This will be an interesting year.

Another McD transfer to Roman is Nazario who will be a very solid lineman. I dont think Romans schedule is comparable to Woods non league with Penn Charter and Episcopal who are always good ,but not close to St Johns and Malvern imo. They have several D-1 players as you mentioned and will be much improved. Im not sure of their remaining non league opponents so maybe you have additional info on that. The PCL red has an abundance of highly touted players this year as in the past . This will be an interesting year.
I might add that both Imhotep and Neuman/Goretti have about 10 D-1 players each if not more which includes underclassman. These two should be great if coaching can get to the level of their talent.

Wasn’t aware of Nazario, thanks for that. Romans schedule consist of opening with Neuman, 3 interac games, PCL league play and Dematha Catholic. I don’t believe they play one public school this year.

Wasn’t aware of Nazario, thanks for that. Romans schedule consist of opening with Neuman, 3 interac games, PCL league play and Dematha Catholic. I don’t believe they play one public school this year.
Roman is certainly stepping up. Those inter-ac teams are talented and well coached, and only lack depth. DeMatha is the real deal.

Reactions: Concretechuck
I know Prete’s mindset, because I asked him directly about the schedule. Play the best to know where the flaws are and to challenge people to be better.

Not sure I would schedule like that but good for them for not worrying about wins and losses.

I know Prete’s mindset, because I asked him directly about the schedule. Play the best to know where the flaws are and to challenge people to be better.

Not sure I would schedule like that but good for them for not worrying about wins and losses.
Who are they playing from the Interac?

Reactions: Bighead75

I wont be surprised if Roman wins some of these. They have a much improved roster. I can only assume Prete has a decent staff to support him.

Reactions: Concretechuck
Per Rutgers Football post...St Joe Prep is getting Jr transfer from Voorhees NJ
JAMES HEARD /LB/6'2"/210lbs Class of "2023".
I thought this was against SJP policy..... ?

Per Rutgers Football post...St Joe Prep is getting Jr transfer from Voorhees NJ
JAMES HEARD /LB/6'2"/210lbs Class of "2023".
I thought this was against SJP policy..... ?
Not sure if you mean me, but I never said that SJP never takes transfers after sophomore year. How could I when there are the fairly recent examples of Benny Walls and Sal Cingaglia? There were also two basketball players: Ed Croswell and Jacob O'Connell. What I have said is that transfers after junior year don't happen and those after sophomore year are fairly rare. (I think Heard will be the third football player in the last 10 years.) Would I be concerned if they were common (more than one a year)? Yes. Other Prep guys may have a different opinion.

I thought he was at Peddie or Malvern Prep for a bit. I could be wrong, though.

Last edited:
I have a dim memory of a Peddie connection, and I'm not 100% sure those Maxpreps lists are correct, but I'm next to certain he didn't come to the Prep as a senior.

For reasons I think we all understand there seem to be more and more transfers (though not as many in football as in basketball). I was interested to see quite a bit of chatter about potential transfers in some of the posts about the coaching situation at P-R. The Prep offers something quite attractive (excellent coaching and competition, a high profile, a strong academic program, etc.) to talented football players. But a high intake of athletes, especially past sophomore year, risks separating the football program from the rest of the school. It can also discourage kids who start as freshman, work hard, and maybe because they're not as talented, never get to start because Stud X came in from another high school. There's a fine line to walk.

Not sure if you mean me, but I never said that SJP never takes transfers after sophomore year. How could I when there are the fairly recent examples of Benny Walls and Sal Cingaglia? There were also two basketball players: Ed Croswell and Jacob O'Connell. What I have said is that transfers after junior year don't happen and those after sophomore year are fairly rare. (I think Heard will be the third football player in the last 10 years.) Would I be concerned if they were common (more than one a year)? Yes. Other Prep guys may have a different opinion.
He'll be a Junior in the fall

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT