ADVERTISEMENT

Wood over LaSalle 27-24 on a 25 yard field goal at the end.

Wood has payback for last year. They wont be challenged again until the D-12 final against Imhotep. That will be a huge game . LaSalle has proven they are a legit contender and next weeks matchup vs. the Prep will be a slugfest. This one is a MUST SEE for those who really like high level high school football . Great win for the Prep also this weekend.

Sounds like it was the tale of two halves!! Was there a big crowd? How was the Ale House?

Last edited:
Credit to LaSalle for fighting back and not giving up. Both teams are for real and should be strong contenders come playoff time. I agree that it will come down to Wood-'Tep and Prep-LaSalle to represent D12 in AAA and AAAA. Slight edge to the defending State champs right now, but we'll know more next week in the case of Quad A.

Wood has payback for last year. They wont be challenged again until the D-12 final against Imhotep. That will be a huge game . LaSalle has proven they are a legit contender and next weeks matchup vs. the Prep will be a slugfest. This one is a MUST SEE for those who really like high level high school football . Great win for the Prep also this weekend.
Considering the quality of Prep's win over St. Joe Montvale, and the fact that LaSalle was down 21-0, Prep might win by 14 or more.

What gives Wood a slight advantage against Imhotep
Don't get me wrong, I love Imhotep's talent, size, and speed. I think what gives Wood the slight advantage is the development of the passing game, which gives them more versatility than they've had in the past. While the O-line is nowhere near as dominant as they had been in previous years for the Vikings, they can be dangerous now in all facets of the offense.

Granted 'Tep is better equipped than most of Wood's opponents to deal with the passing game, I still get concerned about the potential for undisciplined lapses from 'Tep (too many penalties) that have plagued them over the years.

I think there is also the psychological element. While Imhotep certainly pushed Wood last year, they haven't taken them down yet. Sometimes experience and confidence are difference makers.

Don't get me wrong, I love Imhotep's talent, size, and speed. I think what gives Wood the slight advantage is the development of the passing game, which gives them more versatility than they've had in the past. While the O-line is nowhere near as dominant as they had been in previous years for the Vikings, they can be dangerous now in all facets of the offense.

Granted 'Tep is better equipped than most of Wood's opponents to deal with the passing game, I still get concerned about the potential for undisciplined lapses from 'Tep (too many penalties) that have plagued them over the years.

I think there is also the psychological element. While Imhotep certainly pushed Wood last year, they haven't taken them down yet. Sometimes experience and confidence are difference makers.

Great points, but I think Woods inability to consistently run the football may be a problem. If they are forced to pass I think they will see a pass rush they are not used to seeing. Russo is really improved and playing at a very high level, but no one has made him move in the pocket yet this year.

With the addition of several assistants that have beaten Wood in the past, I'm not so sure about that psychological effect you refer to.

It's gonna be a great match up.

Reactions: lilromeo
Great points, but I think Woods inability to consistently run the football may be a problem. If they are forced to pass I think they will see a pass rush they are not used to seeing. Russo is really improved and playing at a very high level, but no one has made him move in the pocket yet this year.

With the addition of several assistants that have beaten Wood in the past, I'm not so sure about that psychological effect you refer to.

It's gonna be a great match up.
The difference will be the Teps pressure on Russo as you stated. The Tep will score a ton of points and Depending on pass protection so will Wood. Russo to Webb is a tremendous combination that FBU82 pointed out months ago. This game is another don't miss contest.

The difference will be the Teps pressure on Russo as you stated. The Tep will score a ton of points and Depending on pass protection so will Wood. Russo to Webb is a tremendous combination that FBU82 pointed out months ago. This game is another don't miss contest.
I am a BIG Wood Fan! But Wood has (small guys all over the place) (guys that would be 3rd string on last years team) 4 guys at 5'11" 180 lbs or LESS within 3 yards of the LOS on D and you sprinkle in the underclassmen they have on the field, If the game is played "straight up" without the "un-coachable" elements (recovering fumbles out of bounds, phantom holding calls, muffed punts, etc...) TEP is going to destroy this Wood team! Like I said in August, think run and shoot, think McNabb to Westbrook, Shurmer to Herron, The running game is NOW the Bubble and Tunnel screen to get their small fast guys in space quickly. Oline is average at best and able to lean on lesser teams but they can seal block for 2-3 seconds. I think there is still a big problem with some TEP players "respecting / buying in" with the NEW coaches brought on board to FIX the constant problems TEP suffers from and in a big game like the 12 ship, there could be a HUGE meltdown on the sidelines and "finger pointing" and the "don't tell me what to do" aspect as in the past! Looking forward to a Great Game and hopefully a Wood win but I think even with the TEP undisciplined play, there is TOO MUCH speed, size and talent for TEP not to come away with a win, but we've all said that before... I hope the TEAM WOOD concept is victorious but is way easier to throw for 4-5 TD's against Ryan or O'Hara than TEP! BUT how good is the TEP secondary, are they even TESTED or are they all gonna skip college and go pro? AND can Wood's "DB" cover the best TEP receivers or will it be another game of 3 yards behind while chasing Jimmy Herron ALL OVER THE FIELD? TEP is used to dominating teams with very little "push back" and the Wood coach has proven in Big game after Big game that he cannot adjust a half time or counter after half time to the other teams adjustments, he just holds on for dear life and hopes that the clock runs out and he has more points

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo and exr001
All really good points above. While I am a PCL guy, it would be nice to see 'Tep break through and get a State title. They've built a strong program and the talent has certainly been there. There is no doubt that the balance of power in AAA lies on this side of the State and both teams would be worthy representatives of SEPA football. Good luck to all the players.

Reactions: exr001
I am a BIG Wood Fan! But Wood has (small guys all over the place) (guys that would be 3rd string on last years team) 4 guys at 5'11" 180 lbs or LESS within 3 yards of the LOS on D and you sprinkle in the underclassmen they have on the field, If the game is played "straight up" without the "un-coachable" elements (recovering fumbles out of bounds, phantom holding calls, muffed punts, etc...) TEP is going to destroy this Wood team! Like I said in August, think run and shoot, think McNabb to Westbrook, Shurmer to Herron, The running game is NOW the Bubble and Tunnel screen to get their small fast guys in space quickly. Oline is average at best and able to lean on lesser teams but they can seal block for 2-3 seconds. I think there is still a big problem with some TEP players "respecting / buying in" with the NEW coaches brought on board to FIX the constant problems TEP suffers from and in a big game like the 12 ship, there could be a HUGE meltdown on the sidelines and "finger pointing" and the "don't tell me what to do" aspect as in the past! Looking forward to a Great Game and hopefully a Wood win but I think even with the TEP undisciplined play, there is TOO MUCH speed, size and talent for TEP not to come away with a win, but we've all said that before... I hope the TEAM WOOD concept is victorious but is way easier to throw for 4-5 TD's against Ryan or O'Hara than TEP! BUT how good is the TEP secondary, are they even TESTED or are they all gonna skip college and go pro? AND can Wood's "DB" cover the best TEP receivers or will it be another game of 3 yards behind while chasing Jimmy Herron ALL OVER THE FIELD? TEP is used to dominating teams with very little "push back" and the Wood coach has proven in Big game after Big game that he cannot adjust a half time or counter after half time to the other teams adjustments, he just holds on for dear life and hopes that the clock runs out and he has more points
I am all in for the PCl and Wood to somehow come away with a win. FBU ,you stated the match up very well. I am still intrigued by the two teams playing on game day.

All really good points above. While I am a PCL guy, it would be nice to see 'Tep break through and get a State title. They've built a strong program and the talent has certainly been there. There is no doubt that the balance of power in AAA lies on this side of the State and both teams would be worthy representatives of SEPA football. Good luck to all the players.

You call yourself a PCL guy but you hope 'tep takes out Wood? I'm no Wood fan at all but PCL allegiance takes priority. Russo throws a beautiful deep ball; hope your 'tep boys can cover!

Reactions: lilromeo
You call yourself a PCL guy but you hope 'tep takes out Wood? I'm no Wood fan at all but PCL allegiance takes priority. Russo throws a beautiful deep ball; hope your 'tep boys can cover!

JB,
Not speaking for "scs" but I think you can be a PCL guy and still root for "Tep over Wood?

Couple possible reasons:

-He's a Bonner or O'Hara guy and hasn't enjoyed the recent turn.
-He's a Brett Gordon friend and has indirect LS rooting interest.
-He despises the All-league mercenary senior transfers to Wood in recent time. Although tough to pull for "Tep for this one!!
-He just likes pulling for the underdog, been to the mountain but not the top?
-Was scorned by SJP and/or their disciples in the past.
-Has a relative dislike for Devlin or Carey.
-Lives in the Warrington/Warminster school district and is tired of the FB hero worship embedded there.
-None of the above...

Regarding the hero worship comment.... If anyone deserves the title, has to be Mike Carey. Coach Pettine's right arm assistant head coach at West during their glory years, then transformed Wood into an absolute beast at the line of scrimmage. He brought a weight room dominant culture onto the field of play with "tough as nails" no nonsense approach. I have great respect for that man, his teams in the trenches may be a "throw back", but I've admired their guild and grit..
Some of his CB West teams... may not have been the biggest group, but there were none stronger!

Of course, weather in a late November game could be a factor in Wood's passing game. However, reasonable weather and AW's passing game will be difficult to stop. They have a lot of options and really do a good job of spreading it around. IC really hasn't been known for being stout vs the pass over the years. And it's not like you can get to Russo all day, as the offense is predicated on quick reads and throws.

I'd be more worried about a costly turnover or I'll-advised penalty on Imhotep's end. Wood just doesn't hurt themselves too often.

If I'm Imhotep I just line-up and bully them at the LOS. Like literally try to run it down their throats. Try a play-action or two, but really no reason to get overly cute. The goal should be to take care of the ball, keep AWs offense off the field, and punish/frustrate them with an efficient ground attack.

Reactions: JBinPA
Of course, weather in a late November game could be a factor in Wood's passing game. However, reasonable weather and AW's passing game will be difficult to stop. They have a lot of options and really do a good job of spreading it around. IC really hasn't been known for being stout vs the pass over the years. And it's not like you can get to Russo all day, as the offense is predicated on quick reads and throws.

I'd be more worried about a costly turnover or I'll-advised penalty on Imhotep's end. Wood just doesn't hurt themselves too often.

If I'm Imhotep I just line-up and bully them at the LOS. Like literally try to run it down their throats. Try a play-action or two, but really no reason to get overly cute. The goal should be to take care of the ball, keep AWs offense off the field, and punish/frustrate them with an efficient ground attack.

Huck,
I think you're right. 'Tep has the size and power advantage this year at LOS. One of Crosby's foibles is to try to get cute, can't help himself, almost ADD-like. We'll see..

Agreed Huck, also, this is not the same AW team we're used to seeing. If Russo can't throw due to weather conditions I think AW will have a tough time. Also, along the LOS, AW is not the same size or speed of previous AW squads.

That said, they are the reigning champs and until proven otherwise; well, you know how it goes. I'll take AW; they probably will get points.

Last edited:
Or maybe not!
Where have you been JB? We need to talk stocks on the other board! My point on SJP-LS was that if SJP gets a similar lead on LS (21-0), they will be less likely to let LS back in the game than Wood was. And SJP is probably a little better than Wood, so I would think they should be favored by 10. But I have to admit that this is sight unseen since I have not seen either team live!

JB,
Not speaking for "scs" but I think you can be a PCL guy and still root for "Tep over Wood?

Couple possible reasons:

-He's a Bonner or O'Hara guy and hasn't enjoyed the recent turn.
-He's a Brett Gordon friend and has indirect LS rooting interest.
-He despises the All-league mercenary senior transfers to Wood in recent time. Although tough to pull for "Tep for this one!!
-He just likes pulling for the underdog, been to the mountain but not the top?
-Was scorned by SJP and/or their disciples in the past.
-Has a relative dislike for Devlin or Carey.
-Lives in the Warrington/Warminster school district and is tired of the FB hero worship embedded there.
-None of the above...

Regarding the hero worship comment.... If anyone deserves the title, has to be Mike Carey. Coach Pettine's right arm assistant head coach at West during their glory years, then transformed Wood into an absolute beast at the line of scrimmage. He brought a weight room dominant culture onto the field of play with "tough as nails" no nonsense approach. I have great respect for that man, his teams in the trenches may be a "throw back", but I've admired their guild and grit..
Some of his CB West teams... may not have been the biggest group, but there were none stronger!

All true about Carey but he isn't coaching at Wood this year. The coaching job at Wood this year must be credited to the guys who are still there.

Where have you been JB? We need to talk stocks on the other board! My point on SJP-LS was that if SJP gets a similar lead on LS (21-0), they will be less likely to let LS back in the game than Wood was. And SJP is probably a little better than Wood, so I would think they should be favored by 10. But I have to admit that this is sight unseen since I have not seen either team live!

If you're taking stock market advice from anyone on this board, you're in big trouble!!!

How would you know?

Because beating the stock market is insanely difficult. There are trillions of dollars worldwide devoted to beating the market and even professional investors/money managers make huge mistakes often (witness what happened to VRX today). If someone truly can consistently beat the market, it's highly unlikely that they would give this information away for free. If someone is giving out free stock market advice, it's highly likely that information is completely worthless and no better than throwing darts with a blindfold on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT