ADVERTISEMENT

Wood - LaSalle

HSFballFan19

Jul 4, 2017
This seems like the game of the weekend, Friday night at Tennett. Interested to hear your thoughts on how this shakes out. Personally, I believe LaSalle wins by 2 scores.

I see them holding Wood's offense in check (it seems they did hold Prep in check other than a few big plays). Also, I think LaSalle's abundance of offensive weapons may be too much for Wood to handle.

This seems like the game of the weekend, Friday night at Tennett. Interested to hear your thoughts on how this shakes out. Personally, I believe LaSalle wins by 2 scores.

I see them holding Wood's offense in check (it seems they did hold Prep in check other than a few big plays). Also, I think LaSalle's abundance of offensive weapons may be too much for Wood to handle.
IMO this is a one score game either way. Wood can put up points as well as the explorers. This should be a good indicator of Woods chances against Harrisburg if they meet.

Wood leads 17-0 late in 2nd qtr. LaSalle's defense is really struggling to stop Wood's running attack and their offense can't get anything going.

Reactions: ESG76
31-17!! Ouch! I said this game would go a long way in answering how good the Explorers were. Not sure if I like the answers!!

31-17!! Ouch! I said this game would go a long way in answering how good the Explorers were. Not sure if I like the answers!!
Paul, I don't think the schedule, as it's been the last two years, has been favorable to LaSalle. They play the four relatively weak teams in the division and then get the Prep and Wood on successive weekends while Wood has a bye the week before they play LaSalle. Tonight's game, like last year's, is almost certainly easier for Wood to get up for than it is for LaSalle.

I expect a close game in two weeks.

Last edited:
Wow, all we heard was about the 19 returning starters, and this is the year, and we are loaded, so many weapons, Lasalle keeps scoring.....Blah blah blah....Third place in the division again. This game was never close.....Again.
That is three in a row for Wood over lasalle, and with lasalle returning 1 maybe 2 on D and 4 on O....Next year looks bleak....

Reactions: ESG76
Wow Wood really impressed me, especially defensively. They more than held LaSalles potent offense in check. Woods RB is special; he has been great for them all year. There aren't many teams in the state that continually get better in season like Wood does. To me, that's the mark of a great program and the epitome of great coaching.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Did anyone else think Isaiah Jones had wings on his shoes, like Mercury, in the first half?

The only people thinking Wood was down this year, were the people hoping Wood was down this year, or people hearing Wood was down from people wishing Wood was down. People saying exact same thing last year after Bergen and Prep loss. Also, this year locals didn't get to witness the 2 signature wins out of state over Oxbridge Academy ranked 18th in FLA and Bergen Cath who's only losses are Mater Dei and Wood and ranked #1 in NJ. Maybe the first time a team in the brutal North NJ Super league goes undefeated in league play...No excuse for poor play against Paramus Cath in rain, and Prep loss really swung when Wood went up 14-10 late in Q2 to have TD called back. But Prep outplayed Wood from that point on.

Wood can still play a lot better than they did last night in all 3 phases of the game. While they dominated lasalle, if they continue to get better, eliminate mistakes and crucial penalties, like Wood does as the season deepens, here we go again.
17-0 with 25 seconds left in half Wood commits a PF penalty on 4th down after play was over to extend the half and allow a field goal and gain some momentum getting the ball after half. There were other mistakes that need corrected as well. It certainly wasn't Wood played their best and ls did not execute, Wood wins 8 out of ten times they play.
Lasalle was too unbalanced, 37 total rushing yards and too one dimensional against a very good defense. Wood much more balanced with 190 yards on ground and 185 in air. The deep connections and through the air and threat helped open up the running game as we saw. Wood will continue to work hard and get better each week and focus on next opponent.

Very well put Bucks. That Bergen win looks better and better every week. I don't get to catch too many PCL games (I follow the SOL a little closer) but Woods blocking and tackling always impress me when I get a chance to go to their games. They are very fundamental on both sides of the ball. It can be refreshing to watch sometimes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT