ADVERTISEMENT

Wood football

Dave Armstrong named the new Wood head coach.
I am glad for Dave ,but its really too bad that Wood has lost 5 very good players to transfer . Their QB just left for Imhotep . That makes 2 to Northeast,i to St Joe Prep and 2 to Imhotep. This could be a tough first year for the new coach.

I am glad for Dave ,but its really too bad that Wood has lost 5 very good players to transfer . Their QB just left for Imhotep . That makes 2 to Northeast,i to St Joe Prep and 2 to Imhotep. This could be a tough first year for the new coach.
What players are going where?

“I want to teach about being on time, look coaches in the eyes when you’re talking to them. If I can make these kids become better men someday, we’re going to win football games because of that.” - Dave Armstrong

I like it. The world needs more football players.

Wood is a train wreck !!!!!
The QB transferred to Neuman/Gorretti and a CB just transferred to Imhotep with Bridgeman. That makes 6 starters that I know of so far. This is amazing going from a state 5 A title contender to a complete screwed up mess. Who are the culprits that created this . I thought something was amiss when Jake Coopers brother chose CB West over Wood and things have collapsed more since then for sure. I will be heading to West games this year instead of Wood . At least Wood still has a few good players that remain Eric Gardener being the best imo.

The QB transferred to Neuman/Gorretti and a CB just transferred to Imhotep with Bridgeman. That makes 6 starters that I know of so far. This is amazing going from a state 5 A title contender to a complete screwed up mess. Who are the culprits that created this . I thought something was amiss when Jake Coopers brother chose CB West over Wood and things have collapsed more since then for sure. I will be heading to West games this year instead of Wood . At least Wood still has a few good players that remain Eric Gardener being the best imo.
I know several posters have shed some light on the Wood situation over the past couple of years, but it's still a puzzle. I watched (via livestream) the Wood-LaSalle game last year and couldn't help but notice that Wood seemed to have at least as much talent as LaSalle but played with much less discipline. Easiest thing is to blame the head coach and stop there, but maybe--and of course I'm just speculating--there was some more fundamental problem. I know a few of the players were blow-ins from McDevitt, and maybe there were a number of players who didn't really want to be at the school or to do what players have to do to be real team players. Certainly if there are several guys who don't respect one or more of the coaches or keep thinking they should be playing a different position or getting the ball more or whatever, the team is going to disintegrate.

Maybe none of the above applies to Wood, but it's hard to understand why so many core players are leaving, some after Wood announced the hiring of a head coach generally regarded as quite capable.

Reactions: Aragorn
Many of those players left before the previous head coach left. Likewise, almost his entire staff quit before he left. Coach Armstrong has been placed in a tough situation, but I agree it appears he’s more than capable. I wish him the best of luck!

Reactions: lilromeo
LOL, my transfer number for Wood was incorrect. The NEW number is 8.

Another transferred to Roman ,thats 9. Does anyone know who is on the Woods coaching staff now ??
Any word on Armstrongs staff ?? Wood lost another to Roman . That makes 9 good players transferred. Yikes !!!!

Another transferred to Roman ,thats 9. Does anyone know who is on the Woods coaching staff now ??

Any word on Armstrongs staff ?? Wood lost another to Roman . That makes 9 good players transferred. Yikes !!!!
The McDevitt experiment did not work out well for Archbishop Wood

The McDevitt experiment did not work out well for Archbishop Wood
It would have IMO if Mike Watkins was named HC. IT appears Wood has lost connection with most of them for sure. Keep an eye on remaining McD players still at Wood.Ryan Wilson,Kevin Haywood [Penn State offer among others and Eric gardener]Penn State Offer among others. Gardener was first team all state last year. Also nose tackle Mike Oberhouser. This was a disaster on Woods part,and I do not put this on the players that left.

It would have IMO if Mike Watkins was named HC. IT appears Wood has lost connection with most of them for sure. Keep an eye on remaining McD players still at Wood.Ryan Wilson,Kevin Haywood [Penn State offer among others and Eric gardener]Penn State Offer among others. Gardener was first team all state last year. Also nose tackle Mike Oberhouser. This was a disaster on Woods part,and I do not put this on the players that left.
What do you think caused the mass exodus?

What do you think caused the mass exodus?
I can only speculate the cause or causes. I do know that Watkins worked hard to develop relationships with grade school level programs and individual players and coaches in the east Germantown Mount Airy and Oak lane areas over the last few years. I believe many of the underclassman at McD decided on Wood because of Watkins going there and knowing a combined Wood/McD team particularly this year would be very talented and a definite state 5 A contender. This was to be the best McD squad possibly ever .When Watkins was not named HC and left many of those he worked hard to bring together lost their connection to their new school. Many of these players traveled an additional 35-40 minutes to Wood. I also guess that there was some resentment from existing Wood parents whose sons were bumped from starting positions . This probably caused pressure on the Wood football department. I dont believe there was much effort to maintain the connection with former McD players . Those who remain are not from those areas mentioned before. This is my opinion of the Wood situation and Im open to others who may have additional confirmed information. FYI, I have been a close supporter of both teams for 50 years and have some inside information on this, but dont pretend to know it all.

I can only speculate the cause or causes. I do know that Watkins worked hard to develop relationships with grade school level programs and individual players and coaches in the east Germantown Mount Airy and Oak lane areas over the last few years. I believe many of the underclassman at McD decided on Wood because of Watkins going there and knowing a combined Wood/McD team particularly this year would be very talented and a definite state 5 A contender. This was to be the best McD squad possibly ever .When Watkins was not named HC and left many of those he worked hard to bring together lost their connection to their new school. Many of these players traveled an additional 35-40 minutes to Wood. I also guess that there was some resentment from existing Wood parents whose sons were bumped from starting positions . This probably caused pressure on the Wood football department. I dont believe there was much effort to maintain the connection with former McD players . Those who remain are not from those areas mentioned before. This is my opinion of the Wood situation and Im open to others who may have additional confirmed information. FYI, I have been a close supporter of both teams for 50 years and have some inside information on this, but dont pretend to know it all.
That's alot to overcome. The wheels came off rather quickly in just one year. I hope they give Armstrong time to right the ship. I hear he's a good coach.

That's alot to overcome. The wheels came off rather quickly in just one year. I hope they give Armstrong time to right the ship. I hear he's a good coach.
I watched Armstrong running over people when he was at West and hope he is a success at Wood.

Wood still has plenty to compete and possibly win 5A in the PCL. My best guess is they go back to power football. They still have plenty up front on both sides which is half the battle. Competing vs Imhotep for the 5A City title is a different story but they have enough to get out of the Catholic league.

Wood still has plenty to compete and possibly win 5A in the PCL. My best guess is they go back to power football. They still have plenty up front on both sides which is half the battle. Competing vs Imhotep for the 5A City title is a different story but they have enough to get out of the Catholic league.
Wood does still have some studs up front ,but I will take Roman for the PCL 5A winner.

Just read where Tyrese Whitaker LB has left Wood for Northeast. This is the second D-1 player to depart the Vikings. The other Semaj Bridgeman went to Imhotep. BTW he recently received another offer ,this one to Alabama. Something not right here. Wood never lost players like these in the past as far as I remember.
I wanted to bring this subject up again about what has happened at Wood the last 2 years .Dave Armstrong has taken over as HC ,but I cant get a read on his roster since it hasnt been updated for 3 years. I understand Woods enrollment qualifies them as a 3-4 A level ,but they continue to play at the 5 A level. They won 1 game last year . IMO they need to completely refocus and drop down to a level they can again compete at. They scrimmage CB West in a few weeks and I think West will run them off the field. Any solid updates on them ??

I wanted to bring this subject up again about what has happened at Wood the last 2 years .Dave Armstrong has taken over as HC ,but I cant get a read on his roster since it hasnt been updated for 3 years. I understand Woods enrollment qualifies them as a 3-4 A level ,but they continue to play at the 5 A level. They won 1 game last year . IMO they need to completely refocus and drop down to a level they can again compete at. They scrimmage CB West in a few weeks and I think West will run them off the field. Any solid updates on them ??
Team was gutted before Armstrong got there. Hopefully Dave can bring them back.

Heard they lost, yet again, another kid from the program. Jimmy Wade, younger brother of Joe Wade who started at Wood at DB, is transferring to CB South. Heard last years starting qb has transferred to Ryan. Shame...

Heard they lost, yet again, another kid from the program. Jimmy Wade, younger brother of Joe Wade who started at Wood at DB, is transferring to CB South. Heard last years starting qb has transferred to Ryan. Shame...
This would be the 3rd brother of former Wood players that have decided NOT to attend Wood . What the H is going on there ?????

This would be the 3rd brother of former Wood players that have decided NOT to attend Wood . What the H is going on there ?????
There was word maybe a month ago that Wood had a disastrous 7v7 against William Tennent, and that additional players would be bailing out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT