ADVERTISEMENT

Will Central Valley- Wood game be cancelled?

PennStateNate

Feb 2, 2014
Heard this morning one of the young men who played LB at CV DIED over the weekend. Details aren't released yet. Read kids are taking it hard.

Thoughts and Prayers out to CV Community and the team.

Oh man ... That's tragic news - my thoughts and prayers go out to the family, friends, team and community.

131 views and only 2 people with thoughts towards a football team and community over a young man's death.

Glad we have our priorities straight.

What are you looking for "likes"?

No one knows the details or the people involved thus no generic comments or speculation like you've done.

Originally posted by reluctant_to_comment:
What are you looking for "likes"?

No one knows the details or the people involved thus no generic comments or speculation like you've done.
Don't know people involved? A young man died, isn't that enough.

Wouldn't hurt to say RIP? I know several WPIAL Coaches and players that read this board.

The thread has only been posted for two hours. There are people who can read these threads, but are unable to post if they don't have a subscription, at least I think that is true. So, don't go by the views. A lot more people are read-only on here than they are posters.

Obviously, it's a sad situation. Condolences to the young man's family and loved ones.

If you have a link to an article or something like that, then it would be appreciated.

PSN, who are you to tell people what they should or should not post? Personally, I've only noticed you posting here since the playoffs started so what does your opinion matter.

I'm sure everyone one this board is filled with sympathy and condolences over any loss of life; I'm not sure they need to impress you by posting it here.

Originally posted by JBinPA:
PSN, who are you to tell people what they should or should not post? Personally, I've only noticed you posting here since the playoffs started so what does your opinion matter.

I'm sure everyone one this board is filled with sympathy and condolences over any loss of life; I'm not sure they need to impress you by posting it here.
JB, I only post at playoff time, posted last 2 playoffs.

Hi Nate,

I read the post - I found out the circumstances - Then Prayed to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I thought prayers to God would be a better use of my time than
posting on a message board that would never be read by the family!

Be Well and God Bless

I just read this story and it made me sick to my stomach. What were these kids thinking? Condolences to the young man's family and the CV community.

Two teens are charged

Very sad!! What does a highschool kid or anyone that age need with a gun? I'm no prude, so I'll give you the dope possesssion but guns? Come on!!

God bless the family.
This post was edited on 12/8 1:41 PM by paul from philly

Wow. That is some sad news. Good bless that young man and his family.

It won't change the outcome, but I'm hoping the CV kids come out and play some inspired football Friday night.

A different world than we were raised in; sadly, not nearly as nice a world either!

Prayers to the victim, his family and everyone involved!

Prayers for the entire Central Valley community. No one should have to endure such a senseless act of violence,

This was no act of violence it was drug abuse & neglect. The poor kid died of a drug overdose & his "friends" left him to die. Imagine getting that phone call. Prayers for the family to have the strength to get through this

I pray to God I never get that phone call, and I pray that no other parent gets one for this day.

Group prayers such as those raised on this board, bring us together as members of humanity, setting aside our pettiness and replacing it with compassion and caring knowing that each of us may one day need the strength of our friends to help us through the night.

May the family receive that strength through faith, or friends, or prayer, and may they find a way to get through this terrible time.

Heard this morning the team will play, but there are parents and school administrators that are against the idea cause he was a very popular kid among the team and some are taking it terribly hard.

No matter how you slice it, this goes well beyond football and is a sad situation all the way around. A young man is dead and other young men will have to deal with his death and how he dies forever.

The Father is quoted and told the coach to play the game
He said - That is what his son would've wanted.
This family is the only opinion that matters.
God Bless them and their days ahead!
Be Well and God Bless!

Originally posted by FBU82:
The Father is quoted and told the coach to play the game
He said - That is what his son would've wanted.
This family is the only opinion that matters.
God Bless them and their days ahead!
Be Well and God Bless!
So the kids who would be playing don't matter and shouldn't have a say?

Nate, I read yesterday that the team/school had discussed the game and decided to play because that's what their teammate would have wanted. I agree with this decision.

Maybe I'm wrong in saying this, but your tone throughout this thread has suggested to me that you don't think they should play. Maybe, I'm misreading it a little.

In my estimation, the only people with a voice in whether to play or not are the kids is that locker room.

Nobody else, especially message board gurus, matter at all.

Let the young men decide and support their decision not publicly question it as you are doing.

Nate,
IMHO - It was in bad taste that you made the original post - but that's me.
I would never go there.
Everyone INVOLVED, players, coaches and parents on both sides were aware
of what happened as of Sunday and of early Monday morning and were dealing with it.

It's like you "Howard Eskin'd it" to get it out there and be the first.

Say RIP, say it's a shame and say a prayer and let it go!

Unless you are embedded with the Central Valley team - I think you are not the proper point man on this!

It is tragic that a life was lost too soon. Life goes on, the world keeps turning, the games are played - it is all part of the healing process.

Originally posted by FBU82:
Nate,
IMHO - It was in bad taste that you made the original post - but that's me.
I would never go there.
Everyone INVOLVED, players, coaches and parents on both sides were aware
of what happened as of Sunday and of early Monday morning and were dealing with it.

It's like you "Howard Eskin'd it" to get it out there and be the first.

Say RIP, say it's a shame and say a prayer and let it go!

Unless you are embedded with the Central Valley team - I think you are not the proper point man on this!
FBU, I seriously don't care what you think. I started the thread, I also said thoughts and prayers to the community and have maintained that this is bigger then football, that a kid has died.

Who really gives a crap about a football game during this?

Apparently his teammates care since they voted to play the game; it is NOT your place to play God and judge these kids. They are doing what they believe is right in their heart.

Originally posted by JBinPA:
Apparently his teammates care since they voted to play the game; it is NOT your place to play God and judge these kids. They are doing what they believe is right in their heart.
Who am I judging? Yeah they voted yeah to play, but it wasn't a clear 100% vote to play.

As I said, this is all about football now.

Who are you judging? Well, in your third post in this thread you judged every member of this community.

You set yourself up as holier than thou; just go back and read it.

You apparently were upset that others didn't support your agenda as quickly as you'd like them to.

Now, enough about you; as I said earlier, my prayers are for the young man, his family and all those affected by senseless violence.

I did judge the community and judge it more now.

And I'll ask, where did I judge the kids at? I said if they want to play, ithen ill support them. I'll be at Hershey wioth my CV hat on cheering them on. But know for a FACT that the plan to play wasn't 100%, it wasn't close to 100%. Kids, Parents, both had thoughts about not playing and still do.

They feel Life > Football

This post was edited on 12/9 2:12 PM by PennStateNate

did they close the school for the week? did they cancel all activities? what is your motivation? It's unfortunate, it happens at other schools to, move on.

Very sad and I send my condolences to the family and the entire Central Valley community.
My thoughts and prayers go out to them no matter what they decide to do about a meaningless football game.

Originally posted by PennStateNate:
I did judge the community and judge it more now.

And I'll ask, where did I judge the kids at? I said if they want to play, ithen ill support them. I'll be at Hershey wioth my CV hat on cheering them on. But know for a FACT that the plan to play wasn't 100%, it wasn't close to 100%. Kids, Parents, both had thoughts about not playing and still do.

They feel Life > Football

This post was edited on 12/9 2:12 PM by PennStateNate

PennStateNate,

I wholeheartedly disagree with this sentiment. What better way to honor the memory of a teammate than to play on and continue the journey that the team started together in summer camp. Games in these situations are about much more than "playing" a football game. It's about celebrating life through continuing to live. I had been a member of various football teams from middle school through college. I can tell you with no uncertainty that on every one of those teams I would never want to deprive my teammates of continuing the journey we started together should something have happened to me. If it was a game as meaningful as a state championship, I would have felt even stronger about my team continuing the season.

Obviously nobody knows exactly what the wishes were of the deceased (and I in no way suggest that I somehow know), but in my opinion I can think of no better way of honoring his memory than to support his team (he'll always be a member of the 2014 Central Valley Football Team) in playing this final game. This isn't about choosing football over the memory/life of a player, but conversely it's about continuing to support HIS team in their final game. Just my $.02

At any rate, thoughts and prayers for this young man, his family, and this community.

This post was edited on 12/9 3:59 PM by WpialHSFB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT