ADVERTISEMENT

White Friday - or the Central League

SPEED&JUMP DR.

Jan 3, 2007
in the always competitive Central League - 6 games - average margin of victory of 27 points. Average would have been much higher had not several of the losing teams scored late garbage TDs. 4 of the 6 were mercy rules early in the 3rd quarter. This is not good for the league or HS football at all

League is horrendous. The third best team is 4 scores worse than top two teams. The fourth team is 3 scores worse than the third team.

The top two teams in Central are good not great. Both have pretty glaring flaws. Three best teams in Delco are Episcopal, Haverford School and Bonner in my opinion.

GG. I hear you. I’m not totally sold on Bonner yet. Very strong and physical on defense , but I’m not sure they can score enough on offense to beat a team like GV. But I’m glad they have turned that program around It’s good for Delco.

Speaking of Delco - Chester upset Academy Park today , Bonner shut out O’Hara , and Penn Wood game canceled due to travel issues ( no buses ?). Similar to the Interboro game , this will be even more difficult to make up since the other team is out of state. PW looking to just cancel , other squad is looking for a forfeit W. PW is in the 5A playoff hunt and a loss would hurt them. Since this is not a league game , or even a PIAA game m I’m not sure how this plays out.

I’m sold on Bonner defensively. Fast, physical, large and athletic. Not a super offense. In matchup against GV it would be interesting.

I think GV best coached team in Delco. Think they get a ton out of what they have and run an offense that is both difficult to defend and conducive to what they have. Defensively they do nice job but in my opinion it’s a lot of scheme and smoke and mirrors. Not real athletic. Amazing they have done as well as they have. Not real talented there. But coached tremendously. Bonner more athletic. Be interesting. It’s one man’s opinion. Like to see this Bonner d line against garnet. Be fascinating. Bonner has 350 lb dt who can play and move. He is interesting player.

GG: GV- It helps to have 100 players every year, more to choose from.

Foot : GV gets all those kids out because of how the system is , not because of their vast enrollment. They are one of
The smallest 6a schools in the state. I have no specific numbers to back this up , but they probably have the highest percentage of kids playing football than any team in Pennsylvania. And with all those numbers , they make a commitment to get as many kids in the game as possible. They are generally a 2 platoon team using about 15 guys on offense and another 15 on defense, separate special teams and so on. Factor in all the mercy rule games and they probably get 80 kids into a game. I think Friday they had 6-7 guys with 50 yards rushing , so that’s over 300 yArds right there. Kids like knowing they are going to play. It keeps them interested and in the system for all four years. The coach made that commitment years ago even when they were not great , knowing it would payoff long term ,and it certainly has.

Speed
Your so spot on.
It sounds easy to go two platoon but it's extremely hard. No one has equal talent in high school on both sides of the ball. So you know your RB might be the best LB you have. Or your center might be your best DT. This goes on and on. Knowing your playing your second best at most positions is not easy.
Coach Ricci has stuck with that and very few have been able to master what he's done.
GV is not the most talented, but when you have two hours on defense per practice, every day, you can developed some abilities pretty well.

Speed
Your so spot on.
It sounds easy to go two platoon but it's extremely hard. No one has equal talent in high school on both sides of the ball. So you know your RB might be the best LB you have. Or your center might be your best DT. This goes on and on. Knowing your playing your second best at most positions is not easy.
Coach Ricci has stuck with that and very few have been able to master what he's done.
GV is not the most talented, but when you have two hours on defense per practice, every day, you can developed some abilities pretty well.
You guys are both right. Coach Ricci and his 13 coaches do a great job and don't deviate from their system. Everyone plays their part. It was said years ago, they turned kids away. It reminds me of Haven's 400+ member band, when you got something good going with kids, run with it.
As far as the two platoons, Coach Curry from Berwick always had to offensive lines alternating every other play.

News flash. Reports are that Garnet Valley may actually be 5a in next PIAA iteration. It’s very close.

Anyone else in the mix to move up or down? All this is speculation I assume as the talk of a “super classification” still looms.

News flash. Reports are that Garnet Valley may actually be 5a in next PIAA iteration. It’s very close.
If memory serves me correctly, GV was 3A in 2007 when they went to the state final. I think they lost, but the following year they moved up to 4A.

If memory serves me correctly, GV was 3A in 2007 when they went to the state final. I think they lost, but the following year they moved up to 4A.

That is correct, lost to Thomas Jefferson in the state championship. Looking at GV over the years they had their most “talent” from 06 to 13, and since then it’s been getting the most out of the players due to coaching. Pretty sure a senior from the 2013 team is now playing in the NFL on the Jets. I just don’t see any kids coming through that school like that anymore, they seem to be getting smaller every year. Don’t know if that’s due to just the overall general direction of high school football. The thing GV does well is catering their offense/defense to the type of athletes they have that year. Pretty sure they were a spread offense for a couple of years when they had a lot of talent and a QB with a big arm and since then they’ve gone back to the option to hide their weaknesses and have perfected it. It’s remarkable what Ricci is able to do every year with what he’s given.

GV went option full bore in 2004. Flex then pistol (looks like spread) and then Split Back Veer.
Prior, Coach Ricci was a power, counter tray program.
Coach Green (OC at Ridley now) was with him early on. He tried to do at Kennet what Ricci did at GV with little to no success. Two platoon, option etc.

Guys. While the coaching there is great , don’t sell their talent short. It’s not like it’s all smoke and mirrors. They get a lot of talent across the board in all sports. Their O line easily goes 250+ across the board with their best coming in at 6’3, 285. Most schools , especially in the Central League , would kill for that kind of size.

Rumor is GV is trying to build another building. A 9/10th grade center. Doesn’t sound like a school losing enrollment to me. Plus GV likes the competition. Even if they fall under 5A in size, they opt to move up to 6A and continue to play there.

Keep in mind it’s based on male enrollment in a limited window. So while seemingly improbable that enrollment could grow and limited male enrollment go down its been known to happen. Obviously dependent on what has happened at other places.

A lot of moving parts here. Also going to be some major movement in some D12 numbers. Will likely be out within 6 weeks. This point formula with transfers and success etc going to move things around. Probably have some 12s bumped around, opting up etc. Going to be interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT