ADVERTISEMENT

Watched a video about Germany pre 1933

sammyk

Oct 26, 2001
a lot of blaming immigrants and Jews for all the woes in Germany sounds familiar same type of rhetoric

a lot of blaming immigrants and Jews for all the woes in Germany sounds familiar same type of rhetoric

The analogy you attempt is nowhere near the reality of pre WW-2 Germany….and as a college graduate, I know you know this, having at least a modicum of knowledge of the well-established adverse effects of the Versailles Treaty.

The analogy you attempt is nowhere near the reality of pre WW-2 Germany….and as a college graduate, I know you know this, having at least a modicum of knowledge of the well-established adverse effects of the Versailles Treaty.

Stalker has a point.

Stalker has a point.
There are important differences between Germany in the '30s and the U.S. today and between Hitler/the Nazis and Trump/ the people around him, but there are also some similarities, as the historian Timothy Snyder pointed out: http://international.sueddeutsche.de/post/157058066625/we-have-at-most-a-year-to-defend-american

I saw Trump today at the press conference today--where again he took questions from just two American reporters, both again from Trump-friendly media organizations, and again went off on a tangent--totally unrelated to the questions--about his "massive electoral college victory." This repetition of lies, no doubt intentended to wear down anyone who questions them or objects to them, is one way in which he and the people around him resemble Hitler and the people around him. And what about Miller's comment yesterday asserting that the Executive cannot be challenged on national security measures? Scary stuff.

I am not saying Trump is a contemporary Hitler, but there are some parallels that we haven't seen before in an American national govt. Remember his statement in July: "Only I can ..." If you can find another American president or presidential candidate who ever made such a statement, please let me know.

There are important differences between Germany in the '30s and the U.S. today and between Hitler/the Nazis and Trump/ the people around him, but there are also some similarities, as the historian Timothy Snyder pointed out: http://international.sueddeutsche.de/post/157058066625/we-have-at-most-a-year-to-defend-american

I saw Trump today at the press conference today--where again he took questions from just two American reporters, both again from Trump-friendly media organizations, and again went off on a tangent--totally unrelated to the questions--about his "massive electoral college victory." This repetition of lies, no doubt intentended to wear down anyone who questions them or objects to them, is one way in which he and the people around him resemble Hitler and the people around him. And what about Miller's comment yesterday asserting that the Executive cannot be challenged on national security measures? Scary stuff.

I am not saying Trump is a contemporary Hitler, but there are some parallels that we haven't seen before in an American national govt. Remember his statement in July: "Only I can ..." If you can find another American president or presidential candidate who ever made such a statement, please let me know.

The author does blame the media of today quite a bit, always trying to depress the audience with bad news. There are similarities but also the author points out that we are removed from the 1930s in many ways. Being more connected with the world then Germany was. We do have a free press unlike Germany. We do have a government of checks and balances. It really doesn't matter what Miller said or the president believes. They cannot get away from the fact that the other branches DO have power over the Executive. They're just throwing their weight around. Again I'll ask the question, "What has changed since he came into office?" Breath!!! I'd be more concerned that with all this bullsh!t going on about the ban on immigrants, there hasn't been any announcements or movement on the economy.

PFP you are right we have a free press and checks and balances but they are under constant attack from our president and staff, even the most devout republican can see that. I feel as the FBI and Senate investigates further the ball of string will continue to unwind and i feel the reason for the attacks by Trump and company is to deflect what is going on, it is a shell game they are playing and Donny's administration has opened the door to talks about treason in the administration. .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT