ADVERTISEMENT

Top 4 in District 1

coverandmove1

Dec 4, 2015
Thoughts: I'm thinking 1. Garnet valley. 2. Downingtown east 3. Coatesville. 4. North penn. Game between dte and coatesville will tell me a lot. North penn had dte earlier this year and let it get away. Beck wins rematch. Gv put up 38 last year on np, although I believe 2 def scores. Coatesville talented but undisciplined. Can anyone stop gv ball control offense?

Thoughts: I'm thinking 1. Garnet valley. 2. Downingtown east 3. Coatesville. 4. North penn. Game between dte and coatesville will tell me a lot. North penn had dte earlier this year and let it get away. Beck wins rematch. Gv put up 38 last year on np, although I believe 2 def scores. Coatesville talented but undisciplined. Can anyone stop gv ball control offense?
Cover - These 4 teams sure seem to be the front runners. Although Coatesville probably has the most explosive offensive out of these 4 and may beat DEast in regular season. I think DEast has a good shot at the D1 title. They have he strong lineman on both sides. Very good running game and a pretty good passing game. Additionally the defense has been pretty stout since the second half of the Roman game. To boot DEast has the speed which until recent has not had. Come on down to Chesco to see them live.

Last edited:
Cover, when this year have you seen Coatesville play that would lead you to say they are undisciplined? What live game or film shows that? I believe North Penn has more penalties and has blown more timeouts because of being misaligned or being in a wrong formation? Maybe this is a past perception you have of Coatesville?

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1
Could be Delco, going on years past and that is many. Guess we shall see, maybe this year different.

All 4 of these teams are very good but they all have warts as well. Garnet Valley's defense gave up a decent amount of yardage against WC Rustin early on. Didn't look like a defense that would stop or even contain the other 3 teams mentioned. Haverford High only ran the ball 7 times the other night so I didn't get an opportunity to look for mid season improvement. Springfield will be the test.
North Penn offense looks almost as good as last year right now. Deep ball isn't as good but everything else seems to be clicking. From an offensive standpoint, they will be a tough out. Defensively, they were punished by DEast counter game and Pennridge also had success. Would have been interested to see what a balanced healthy CB South could have done.
DEast is killing everyone on the ground. Rushing for anywhere from 350-400 yds a game. Passing game hasn't been needed but skill doesn't seem to be at Wr or TE as in years past. Also, defense lacks speed big time! Roman and North Penn, both teams with better speed exploited them. Special Teams kicking and coverage also appears to be a weakness.
Coatesville could very easily be 5-0 if not for leaving points on the board in the first half and then melting down late in all phases of the game at Cumberland Valley. Not sure what to make of their schedule as Gratz and DWest have been Jekyll and Hyde, Cumberland Valley is one of the better teams out west. Reading and Henderson are having down years to say the least and Rustin was 4-1 last night before visiting the Ville and being outgained 558-93. Next would weeks Unionville plays Rustin and then DEast. Maybe those two games tells us something. Coatesville has WC East and upstart Avon Grove at home. Not sure what can be learned watching those two contests. Coatesville tends to play extremely well defensively against teams that are one dimensional in years past. Doesn't bode well for Avon Grove.

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1
Cover, are you listing your best 4 teams or the top 4 seeds? If Pennsbury or Neshaminy finish 9-1, which is a long way off but very possible, they should be a higher seed (i.e., higher power ranking) than Coatesville (due to playing several 5A teams) and North Penn (due to the 2 losses).

Does anyone see the PIAA making leagues based off of classifications? I know teams like GV, Coatesville and DEast suffer a little in rankings because of the amount of 5A teams they play. I think I recall hearing about this somewhat last year but I could be wrong, haven’t checked the board lately so not sure if it was brought up earlier.

Does anyone see the PIAA making leagues based off of classifications? I know teams like GV, Coatesville and DEast suffer a little in rankings because of the amount of 5A teams they play. I think I recall hearing about this somewhat last year but I could be wrong, haven’t checked the board lately so not sure if it was brought up earlier.
NorthBroad - IMO no. This situation is kind of similiar where the Chesmont was down to 4 power teams in the 90s (Coatesville, Downingtown, WC East and WC Henderson) tried get District 1 to force the Central then Suburban to take these teams w no avail. Can’t see District 1 telling the PAC 12 or Suburban to take Avon Grove, 2 Downingtowns and Coatesville. It’s really only a football seedlings problem for the Chesmont 6A teams. The other sports basketball, baseball, soccer , lax, etc doesn’t seem to be an issue. Solutions: Reach out for new members (Garnet Valley, SpringFord and Perk Valley) or just a football partnership with PAC 12 or Central 6A or maybe Suburban American (Quakertown Hatboro and Plymouth Whitemarsh) or allow the 6A to skip the 5A league games and let them schedule freely. With Coatesville. and DEast football success over the last 5-10 years I don’t many takers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT