ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10...regardless of classification (Week 15)

not_a_fan

May 7, 2011
Updated rankings for Week 15…

1. St. Joe’s Prep 10-1 (12)
2. Bishop McDevitt 10-1 (3)
3. State College 13-0 (6)
4. Aliquippa 12-0 (7)
5. Imhotep Charter 9-2 (12)
6. Harrisburg 10-2 (3)
7. Garnet Valley 12-0 (1)
8. Pine-Richland 11-3 (7)
9. Upper Dublin 14-0 (1)
10. Wyomissing 13-0 (3)

Honorable Mention (no order): Erie Cathedral Prep (10), Belle Vernon (7), Cocalico (3), Allentown Central Catholic (11), North Alleghany (7)

As promised, last week shook up the rankings as there are now 3 new teams to the top 10 (Harrisburg, Pine-Richland, and Wyomissing). Harrisburg jumped all the way up to #6 after thumping Manheim Township in the D3 Championship game. Pine-Richland also moves up after an impressive win against previously #5 ECP.

Now down to the State Semi-Finals, we're matched up across the board with #1 SJP vs. #7 Garnet Valley in the 6A Eastern Final, #3 State College vs. #6 Harrisburg in another revenge game for Harrisburg against the other team to defeat them this season on the other side of the 6A bracket, and #5 Imhotep vs. #9 Upper Dublin in the 5A Eastern Final. With 2 weeks left in the 2022 season, there is nothing better than matching up the best teams in the State and settling it on the field!

not- thanks good stuff-

maybe i am just watching closer- but it seems like more parity in the state playoffs this year? At least on paper, seems like 5A and 6A might have a few close games? Even 4A?

I don't see any "ringers" at any level.

other thoughts?

not- thanks good stuff-

maybe i am just watching closer- but it seems like more parity in the state playoffs this year? At least on paper, seems like 5A and 6A might have a few close games? Even 4A?

I don't see any "ringers" at any level.

other thoughts?
6A final: State College vs St Joes Prep- Ultimately, st joes prep isn’t going to lose 2 finals in a row, so I expect st joes to win by 3 tds atleast
5A: Pine Richland vs Imhotep- this one should be close
4A: Aliquippa vs Bishop Mcdevitt- very close, but I see mcdevitt getting revenge

6A final: State College vs St Joes Prep- Ultimately, st joes prep isn’t going to lose 2 finals in a row, so I expect st joes to win by 3 tds atleast
5A: Pine Richland vs Imhotep- this one should be close
4A: Aliquippa vs Bishop Mcdevitt- very close, but I see mcdevitt getting revenge
tiger- i agree on these, but i think even some of the semis are gonna be close- State College v Harrisburg gonna be tight, PR v Cocalico might be close- and even another final- maybe Belle Vernon v Wyomissing?

does anybody think Garnett Valley v SJP semi could be close?

tiger- i agree on these, but i think even some of the semis are gonna be close- State College v Harrisburg gonna be tight, PR v Cocalico might be close- and even another final- maybe Belle Vernon v Wyomissing?

There’s more of a chance that I fly to the moon tomorrow than Garnet Valley vs SJP being a close game

Remember last year? So many people thought Garnet valley would beat Sjp. Then the actual game rolled around and Sjp mercy ruled them.

To make this game even worse, garnet valley has gotten worse while Sjp has gotten better since the last time they played

Definitely parity after SJP......they're still the kings of PA until proven otherwise. I don't a Mt. Lebo type team out there this year. Harrisburg may be a year away from really challenging Prep.

6A-SJP vs Harrisburg, I think Harrisburg has some guys that can play but ultimately don't match up to Prep. Prep wins by at least 14-21 against any team in the state.

5A-Pine-Richalnd vs. Imhotep, this will be a good matchup. PR is hot at the perfect time and seems to have figured out their Offense by going back to more spread stuff and using their athletes. Should be a toss up.

4A-McDevitt vs Aliquippa, this is going to be the best championship of the weekend. I've been on the McD bandwagon all year as 2nd best team in PA. Basically a home game as McD is right across the west shore in Harrisburg (only about 25-30 minutes from Cumberland Valley)

3A-Belle Vernon vs Wyomissing, another great matchup of teams who could easily be playing up a class (or 2).

2A-Steel Valley vs So. Columbia, not as familiar with the small schools but this is my best guess.

1A-Union vs Steelton Highspire

Quips beat Mcdevitt last year and should be better considering the whole team is back with another year of maturity and experience, they are the favorites

I like Westinghouse in 2A

I think McDevitt is way better this year. I think quip is the favorite but if they lose, I would not be surprised.

If UD can put together a passing attack to keep imhotep honest and limit them from scoring like Roman they have a chance. It’ll come down to UD’s offense against Imhotep’s defense to determine the winner.

GA lost a ton last season to graduation and Prep return almost everyone. Prep’s defense got bigger up front. Does the west winner have a shot next wk is the true question?

McDevitt is improved from what I saw but the quips have faced the tougher schedule.
Steel. Aliquippa definitely played more teams with winning records. But that doesn't necessarily translate to a harder schedule. I don't see a Imhotep or LaSalle on there but that's just an opinion.
What I mentioned in the D3 write ups a few weeks ago is that McDevitt hasn't had a 'test' in weeks which may come bite them at some point. Maybe this week?
Let's see if Quips get past Allentown Central Catholic and McDevitt past Crestwood first. Will say that everyone in Dist-3 thought Exeter would be playing this weekend........except Cocalico! You never know.

I was at the Cocalico game. I thought they'd get blown out. But, once the game started - if you didn't know either team, you'd never thought Cocalico was an underdog.

I think McDevitt might be the best team in 4A. The film I saw shows a much improved OL and last year vs QUIP. That might be the neutralizer.

In terms of schedules. Imhotep was obviously really good team BM faced. But, LaSalle wasn't very good. They'd be a middle of the pack team 4A out here. The rest of that schedule McDevitt played was not good.

I think SJP gv will be similar to last year's game. SJP is an all star team and one of the best in the country. I'm not going to get into sjp unfair advantages. That's a whole nother discussion and it's been beaten like a dead horse on here. I think next years prep team will be the best team in the country. No one in 6A will knock off prep this year or next. I think the best games of the week will be Westinghouse steel valley and upper Dublin and Imhotep.

Last edited:
I was at the Cocalico game. I thought they'd get blown out. But, once the game started - if you didn't know either team, you'd never thought Cocalico was an underdog.

I think McDevitt might be the best team in 4A. The film I saw shows a much improved OL and last year vs QUIP. That might be the neutralizer.

In terms of schedules. Imhotep was obviously really good team BM faced. But, LaSalle wasn't very good. They'd be a middle of the pack team 4A out here. The rest of that schedule McDevitt played was not good.
* You're right about McD's improved line play that has not been well advertised. But it allows everything they do in the pass game, making it KEY. If Quips overpower there, they win.
* QB Saunders has matured so much with a poise that defies his age as a sophomore. Many forget he was a freshman last year. You'd think you're hearing a college senior hearing his interviews. And he has new-found game breakers this year in receiver Tyshawn Russell who essentially came out of nowhere. If you double anyone you've exposed yourself against their options. Very tough team to defend.
* About LaSalle, it depends when you played them in their quirky season. They grow big ones at times then disappear but always have solid personnel you have to keep track of. Less this year for sure. But, some teams are so well established (LS) you're playing the program, history, tradition that allows a team to play above itself. Like the ghosts of the past come out and have a presence. Their 21-13 loss to St. Joe's is an example.
* Cocalico got hot at the right time but I'm not sure that's enough to get past PR. I thought Exeter-Pine was going to be a war before Cocalico said otherwise. You saw the game so noted their quick-undersized DL. Not sure they can dup that vs PR but we'll see. Anything goes in HS football!

You saw the game so noted their quick-undersized DL.
I was shocked how hard they played and how effective they were. It wasn't like Exeter wasn't trying. They were fired up and coming off the ball too.

The biggest thing Cocalico had going for them besides the already mentioned things - like toughness, offensive scheme, surprising athleticism, etc was that Exeter is ugly throwing the ball when they have to.

Pine's QB is the former tailback so while he can throw it, he's not a thread the needle type guy. I got PR 28 COC 14

Reactions: Stalker
For clarification, Palmeiri was a QB until last year. They moved him to RB to get him in the field.

If UD can put together a passing attack to keep imhotep honest and limit them from scoring like Roman they have a chance. It’ll come down to UD’s offense against Imhotep’s defense to determine the winner.

GA lost a ton last season to graduation and Prep return almost everyone. Prep’s defense got bigger up front. Does the west winner have a shot next wk is the true question?
Yes, UD has a good shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT