ADVERTISEMENT

The West: 6A Top 10....Sept 27th (#6 - #10..plus Others)

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
6 Mt Lebanon 4-1, D7; I guess you could say with surety Mt. Lebanon’s quarterback James Stocker is now healthy after last week’s performance completing 10 of 14 passes for 278 yards and 3 touchdowns in a 63-14 destruction of Altoona. All totaled the Blue Devils produced 571 yards of offense, holding the Lions to a mere 206 yards, 86 rushing. They have a big game this week being home in a crossover game with North Allegheny, a team they lost to last year 22-15. Since losing 4 weeks ago to Pine Richland, they’ve won 3 straight, averaging 39ppg and allowing 10. This one looks like a real head banger with the difference likely being Lebo’s Qb James Stocker.
7 Bethel Park 3-1, D7; Bethel Park got thumped by Pine Richland 54-20. Along the way they were exposed as one dimensional with the Rams shutting them down until the reserves showed up the second half. By that point Pine Richland had a 47-point lead. Like all teams coming off a thumping, the question now is how will they respond, especially on the road coming off their first loss. Hempfield may be 1-4 but have been competitive with 5 and 8 point losses. It was no contest last year with the Black Hawks winning 48-13.
8 Manheim Township 3-1, D3; Evidently these guys were laser focused like Central Dauphin was, traveling to Landisville to pummel Hempfield’s Black Knights 56-0. Running back Grayson Sallad (Harvard) had a strong performance gaining 186 yards on 10 carries with 3 Tds while Luke Emge was also “on”, completing 7 of 9 for 144 yards and 3 touchdowns. Drake Puffenbarger, their marauding 6-4, 240-pound run stuffer at linebacker had at least 9 tackles and 2 TFL, holding Hempfield to 202 total yards. You knew Manheim would be stoked after the embarrassment by Governor Mifflin the week before but still felt Hempfield would put up some resistance with wins against Dallastown and Central York, especially at home. It was over at the half, down 35-0. They’re home this week against Conestoga Valley (3-1) who they defeated last year 35-12. This could get interesting with the Bucks averaging 47ppg but allowing 38. Their only loss was to Lampeter Strasburg 57-54 in overtime. The Streaks need to stay focused in this one.
9 Wilson 2-2, D3; Talking about streaks, Wilson’s surprisingly easy 56-24 win over Warwick extended their Lancaster-Lebanon Section One game winning streak to 65 games! Talk about having a bullseye on your back! Everyone got in the act against Warwick with running back Iggy Reynoso doing the most damage, rushing for 274 yards on 26 carries and 5 Tds. He also snagged 3 passes for 48 yards with the Bulldogs finishing with 424 total yards of offense. An interesting side story is Wilson transfer Grayson Kline completing 21 of 46 passes for 348 yards. At 6-4, 225, he seemed to be the next big thing at Wilson but was edged out by Connor Uhrig. His brother Seth Kline graduated from Wilson and went on to Widener (St. Joe’s home field) in Chester where he starred. Wilson is at JP McCaskey this week opening LL-Section One action against the 1-3 Red Tornado. If Wilson doesn’t follow up last week’s win with another big win, you’ll know they’re having real issues.
10 North Allegheny 3-2, D7; As expected, North Allegheny had no trouble with Butler doing pretty much what they wanted rushing for 266 yards with Turner White leading the way gaining 159 yards on 20 carries. The week before that they beat Shaler 55-7. The competition has been soft but its allowed the offense to gain some rhythm. And all in all, the defense has been steady since the 35-15 breakdown at Bethel Park, with a good showing against Central Catholic in a losing 14-7 effort. So if they bring the characteristics shown there and the recently discovered offense, they’ll be right in it on the road this weekend against Mount Lebanon.

Others:

Peters Township 4-1, D7; Beat Hempfield 23-15, at Norwin.

Penn Hills 4-1, D7; Beat Shaler 34-7, home to Seneca Valley. With NA, Lebo and Central Catholic down the road, this is one they don’t want to lose.

Williamsport 4-1, D4: Wow, Shikellamy stepped up big time falling in ot losing to Williamsport 45-38. At Scranton.

Norwin 3-2, D7; Beat Canon McMillan 34-14, now home to Peters Township.

Central Dauphin East 3-1, D3; Returned to Earth with a thud losing to powerful Harrisburg 45-7. At Chambersburg to sooth the pain.

Red Lion 4-0, D3; The beat goes on from last year’s 10-1 campaign beating York 31-14. Should crush Northeastern.

Erie High 4-1, D10; Beat Trinity School-OH 49-0….at Franklin.

Delaware Valley 5-0, D2; Beat North Pocono 41-0 and now home to 3-2 Hazelton.

Scranton 5-0, D2; Survived rival West Scranton 35-20 and now for the real test against Williamsport at Scranton.

Reactions: new2pa
Stalker, I would say your WPIAL ordering is right on with:

1. P-R
2. PCC
3. Lebo
4. BP
5. NA
6. Peters
7. PH

I am very curious for the NA-Lebo game. Also looking forward to NA-PH and PCC-PH. I am a doubter on Penn Hills, but there is a chance they could get a good playoffs seed. IMO, the WPIAL has P-R and a bunch of other teams that are all very close to each other.

I believe Lebo will beat NA by a few scores. I think Lebo's the second best team in 6A after PR.

I believe Lebo will beat NA by a few scores. I think Lebo's the second best team in 6A after PR.

I think you’re right JACKY and that’s how it ‘ll shake out with ML beating NA and PR beating PCC. Season’s ½ over. Yikes!

WPIAL Update:
1. P-R

HUGE GAP

2. BP
3. PCC
4. NA
5. PH
6. Lebo
7. Peters

BP will cruise until week 10 vs. Lebo

PCC will cruise until week 10 vs. Penn Hills.

Penn Hills has NA this week. I'm not sure who to pick. NA at least beat a team with a winning record in Lebo. PH hasn't beat anyone with a winning record.

Peters has P-R and Lebo in back to back weeks. That will tell alot.

PR should have an easy time the next 3 weeks and then need to play well versus NA.

Reactions: JACKY6996
Art Walker teams are generally disciplined and fundamentally sound in all aspects. Penn Hills is not. I think that's what will be the difference.

Peters has a couple nice WR and a very good QB (Big too, listed at 6'5 230, not very often you see a QB like that at the HS level). I think PR is way to much for anyone in the wpial at this point, I expect peters to come in and try their best but the gap is big between PR and the rest of the herd.

NA is starting to heat up and they beat lebo on the road, it will be interesting when PR and NA matches up. Think I'll take PR by at least 3 TD's.

WPIAL Update:
1. P-R

HUGE GAP

2. BP
3. PCC
4. NA
5. PH
6. Lebo
7. Peters

BP will cruise until week 10 vs. Lebo

PCC will cruise until week 10 vs. Penn Hills.

Penn Hills has NA this week. I'm not sure who to pick. NA at least beat a team with a winning record in Lebo. PH hasn't beat anyone with a winning record.

Peters has P-R and Lebo in back to back weeks. That will tell alot.

PR should have an easy time the next 3 weeks and then need to play well versus NA.

New2pa, I think you could put PR up there then your “HUGE GAP” beneath ….for the entire state! They seem more dominant than even St. Joe’s last year who were head and shoulders above everyone. Hard seeing anyone out of the district challenging, even NA especially with White getting healthy. And like JACKY and maybe pcc suggested, I think the jury at least the historic jury is in on Penn Hills.

I do feel PR could be tested by a State College, Central Dauphin type, more SC than CD at this point who have shown more weapons. Big test for SC this week at Cumberland Valley, then Harrisburg and Central Dauphin.

Starting last week with CD-CV, we get State College, Cumberland Valley, Central Dauphin and Harrisburg all squaring off in the Mid Penn Commonwealth. What a conference.

I really didn't follow St. Joe's much last year - just watched them demolish PCC in the championship game, so can imagine they were pretty good.

Can't wait to hear about State College, who would be a possible state quarterfinals opponent. Then CV or CD in the semi's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT