ADVERTISEMENT

The State of Football

Just read this piece which helps explain, I think, what Gang Green and other have been saying about the quality of high school football and the overall number of kids playing the sport: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/11/08/sports/falling-football-participation-in-america.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Interesting point about the drop being greater among white kids.
Tulla - this is well worth discussing. The facts are there locally, regionally and nationally. I’ll go to the inside back cover of the book and say this - Comcast is building a $60m theater seated entertainment center for “fans” to watch “players compete” on video games!!??
Football is evolving on many levels and the reasons schools like SJP become a vacuum for talent is because they created their own showcase for such over the previous 20+ years. Ironically, it’s less about recruiting and more about visible opportunity. I know you’ve alluded to this concept of ‘erosion’ previously and I think your spot on. We’ll see what happens but the trend doesn’t bode well.

Women and lawyers are killing the sport especially at the lower participation levels, In twenty years "football" will be at the flag level and coed.

Not all women, but yeah many want to take anything away that women can’t compete in. Lawyers ruin almost everything. They’ve done a good job of that even at NFL level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT