ADVERTISEMENT

The Ridley Coaching Rumor Thread

They have to say "there is no job offered with this position". If the guy they want needs a teaching job, and they want him bad enough they will make it happen. They can't go in saying there is this position or that position, because then they are locked in. You can always interview, wow them, make them make you an offer and say "I can't do it without a job in the building" and if they can't do it you walk.

You heard it here first

I have it on good authority that Wood has been offered, and has accepted the HFC job. Not surprising.

The SURPRISE is that Scott Green, the other finalist, has accepted the OC position on Wood's staff, and they are working on getting him a teaching job in the building.

So, essentially the HC and OC will be in the high school.

The million dollar question is will the Ridley faithful be ok with running triple option with limited passing? In a district that has had a rich history with QBs, I am not sure how this will go over.

Thoughts?

Got some Buzz. Wood is in. May bring a finalist on with him. Based on what we know, Wood as the head and DC and Green or Ruffenach as the OC. Speculation on my behalf as far as who goes with him. Not sure if either of those guys need to be in the building to take a position on the staff.

Edited:
DefCon beat me to it. Seems to know more about the situation. Green runs option...is that the better option(no pun intended) than Ruffenach's spread.

So wait a minute, Are you saying that Ridley has found a way to rebuild there staff, get two qualified coaches in the building, and is still committed to football. Wow. That is really amazing. No, wait for it.... That is actually normal.
I was informed a few days ago that there may be a plan in place that would surprise everyone. I just hope that all of the comments that were directed toward an Admin that was not committed to football and had not plan to improve the program can now be seen for what they truly were; Misguided. Wonder how all that CROW will taste.

We all knew Wood all along, so no surprise there. Adding. Green is a bonus, especially if they are both in the school. I do not think Wood has a teaching degree and was NOT looking for a job in the school, so if they did in fact get creative and found a spot for him that's very promising.

Curious about Green if anyone knows. He was at GV for years then went to Kennett as a head coach, then returned to GV and was supposed to be Ricci's handpicked successor. Any news on a falling out there?

I also think there is no surprise Wood is the man. Why is Green the choice for OC? His system doesn't really fit well with Ridley has run in the past.

Sounded like Wood was the front runner from the beginning, so no surprise on the hiring. I'm going to give him a shot before crucifying him for not being a "Ridley guy". IMO if he's qualified enough for college he should do just fine in the CL; the addition of some structure alone should be a good start for the program.

Question, what does Wood do for a living that he doesn't have to be in the building?

We all knew Wood all along, so no surprise there. Adding. Green is a bonus, especially if they are both in the school. I do not think Wood has a teaching degree and was NOT looking for a job in the school, so if they did in fact get creative and found a spot for him that's very promising.

Curious about Green if anyone knows. He was at GV for years then went to Kennett as a head coach, then returned to GV and was supposed to be Ricci's handpicked successor. Any news on a falling out there?
Speed,
Not being from that area and not knowing anything about Wood, a question. You say he does not have a teaching degree, does he at least have a degree?

I think he has a masters degree in Taxation. Im not sure if he has another job as an accountant, CPA or something like that., or is perhaps independently wealthy. I had heard he was not looking for a job in the school but DEFCON is reporting that both he& Green will be in the building.

I've heard Mrs. Wood is Mrs. Sugar Mama Wood and has a lucrative position that would allow him just to be a high school football coach. I'm also thinking if he had any business knowledge he would have prepared for the realization of the college coaching world that his job might not last and lived carefully and has some money saved. Going back and reading I think the term "in building" means he will just concentrate his efforts as the football coach. I can't imagine Ridley going from the stand of we aren't opening any positions in the building to now...we have two for the HC and OC.

Cheers,

Busch

Last edited:
sorry to mislead.

Coach wood will not be in the building as a school employee other than the football coach. Mrs. Wood is a millionaire.....literally a millionaire. Coach Wood hasn't done anything but coach football as a primary job since before Widener.

So, he will be in the building, sitting in the coaches office, being paid as the coach, with no another job...not even the pool monitor gig or some BS title. I think that was part of the attraction to hiring him. In theory, you get someone who is there every day and only needs to be paid as a football coach.

Heres something to add to all the hoopla. There will be a highly regarded Ridley Guy on staff. Wait for it, Wait for it.... Ok, heres what I know. Joe Valerio is taking over the OL on a part time basis. This came from a very reliable source, and im going out on a limb, its a done deal. So now my rant. There are a few qualified Ridley guys that would make great assistants on this squad. Chris Bell better be the first one called. All the crap this guy put up with over the last few years, because Pete (old AD) didnt have a ball in his body to do anything, deserves an asst position, HANDS DOWN. Next is Mick Bonner, another guy that had to throw up after practice and games every week because he couldnt stomach what Decker was doing to this program. He deserves an asst position, HANDS DOWN. The others being Jeff Hamson, Colin Masterson, and the weight lifting guy (sorry, I always firget his name). Other than that, you have nothing left but a bunch of glorified ball washers, and failed youth coaches at every level who's only credentials were... Oh wait, they had none....

Dcon- I think you may be wrong. I was told that Wood will be in the building also.
Ray - Let's relax for a moment with the Chris Bell nonsense again. If all of the Dave Wood and Scott Green rumors are true. I am sure that they have both worked with many qualified assistant coaches that may want to come to Ridley. While I think it may be more logical to see Chris Bell on the staff as an assistant, not HC, let's not start talking about him again like he is Pop Warner. Do we really need to go back and revisit his time at Springfield and Sun Valley. It would be nice to see Bonner and Valerio work together coaching the OL.
Lord- that wood/ green money analogy was deep.

Hey Parker, i think you really need to get your facts straight before shooting off about something you obviously know nothing about. Bell had 1, ONLY 1 HC (that Head Coach for you genius) job, and that was Springfield. Amazingly since your uneducated on his time at SV (thats Sun Valley), ill clue you in. His last year as DC (Defensive Coordinator) there they were one of the top 5 defenses in the county, and missed the playoffs by 1 game. If you know anything about the talent for football there, you will realize thats a pretty good feat considering. As for him getting a job on this staff, ill fill you in again. The last time Ridleys offense was even remotely successful was 2010 (State Semis, lost to Lasalle). And who was the OC (figure it out) that year?? Thats right, Mr Bell. And just so your fully informed, his OC position was taken away the day of the game against Lasalle for reasons he still doesnt even know (maybe because he doesnt belly up at the Milmont on a daily basis with him is the consensus).

Hes never missed a practice, game, lifting, or team event in his few years with Waller, or his 7 years with Decker (and if you have any clue about the last 7 years, and what it was like to work for Decker, thats impressive). Being a Ridley Guy (township, not park thank God) that means he is a dedicated individual, who has the kids best interest. We want that here, we need that here (great movie reference)

Im not saying he needs a coordinator job whatsoever, but he definitely deserves an asst position. The kids love him, and the parents respect him 100%. He would be a perfect fit for Woods new regime.

Chris Bell can join my staff. I'm looking for a stable boy, knight or artisan. Can't run a kingdom alone. Lord Ridley giveth

That previous post was an answer to lord's question. Not to the preamble that was just written on behalf of Chris Bell. I would take this moment to apologize to whatever member of His Family I just upset. I am sorry you took my post so personal. You are correct, I forgot that Coach Bell was unsuccessful in his quest to be the head coach at Sun Valley. I also did not realize that the mark of a great coach was actually showing up everyday and coaching. I thought that was just a requirement of the position. Now that I am fully educated on the criteria that makes a great coach I want to fully rescind all of my previous support for Dave Wood and Scott Green and start a petition to make Bell the new head coach. I have it on good authority that both of these coaches may have missed a practice over the last 7 years and thus are not as qualified as Bell. I also find it rather convenient that you did not mention much about Coach Bell's te at Springfield. I know that he did not win any games there but from what I understand he showed up everyday and was present for all of those losses which by your criteria makes him a great coach.
If you had read my comment carefully you would have noticed I mentioned he may have a place on the staff. I just do not think he needs to be the first call or is going to make or break the program. But again I didn't know he was there everyday. Now that I do I would like to say, Pop Warner is no Chris Bell. Pop missed a few practices during his day also. For that matter so did Phil Marion, should change the name to Chris Bell Field.

Ridley Parker must of went to high school at Interboro, maybe even Penn Wood with that dopey banter. Glad you could figure out all the abbreviations. Thats a step in the right direction lil buddy. Its ok, A clue will come your way real soon... Hopefully this new regime, Wood, Greene, Valerio, and whoever else they bring on brings Ridley back to where it belongs. Quite honestly, thats what we all want anyway, or we wouldnt be on here.

The only thing I can say after reading these posts for 2 months is Ridley people/natives are out of their minds and that Dave wood, Scott green and staff have their work cut out for them. Not because of their players but because of the alumni and their unrealistic expectations of what Ridley football should be. Good luck. My prediction- Ridley will be looking for a new head coach by 2020.

Crap, i want to rescind my Penn Wood reference from earlier. Seems our new HC is a 1986 Patriot grad. Dont want to start out on the wrong foot, lol

Hear ye, Hear ye.....

" I'm not going to sugar coat this one bit. This is the best thing to happen to Ridley Football. Deckers so called "Resigning" only screws 2 people over. Coach Bell and Coach Bonner worked there asses off, were at every practice, kept this team together when everything else was falling apart, and pretty much were HC the last few years. If Coach Bell or Coach Bonner arent either a part of, or HC (Bell) of the next regime, they are doing Ridley a disservice. Both Ridley guys, both worked tirelessly with there positions over the last few years, and are disguisted with how this team was run the last few years. Vo's not coming, he just got AP AD job, and Ridley would have to blow him away with an offer, which probably wont happen. Coach Bell knows whats wrong with this program, and he has a plan to fix it."

The Lord Giveth

14 Ridleyray4, Dec 19, 2015

Delco:

Good or bad they may be looking for a new coach in 2020. If Wood does well, he perhaps uses this as a stepping stone to a bigger job. If he does not do well then we all know how that could turn out.

Since you brought up the subject, what should the Ridley faithful expect from this team/this staff? I think last years team with all its warts and talent shortages, probably goes 8-2 with an above average disciplined coaching staff. They had UD beat late in the 4th Q and were up on Haverford in the second half only to lose both games with a barrage of turnovers and foolish penalties.

Next year, they return a very mobile athletic QB, a 1000 yrd rusher, 2 other key skill players and all 4 LBs on defense. The Central league is a little bit like the NFC East-you can be a contender pretty fast with one or two good moves. Assuming they go 6-0 vs the small schools and 2-2 vs the big schools, is 8-2 unrealistic?

I think wood and Ridley will not be a very good marriage, my opinion only. Just as important as the hc is the staff he surrounds himself with. Getting Bonner and bell back would be great but I'm not sure that's gonna happen. Sounds like green was a package deal, was that a wood's hire or a district hire? Something to think about.

Also, the Ridley faithful will not be ok with the triple option, if that's what green is bringing. I also think some Ridley alumni will never give wood a fair chance because of simply not being a Ridley guy. Does winning cure all? Sure, but what is enough to satisfy the Ridley faithful? I think 8-2 is realistic, but 8-2 playing only league games is nothing great. The Ridley faithful believe district 1 crowns should be the measuring stick. Yes Ridley has some solid players coming back but it all starts up front. Are they good enough there? And if you said last years team had talent shortages I didn't see much at the freshman or jv level that will help in the future. As discussed before, has the talent dried up? You are right though, the central league could be won by any of 5 teams next year, including Ridley.

From what I was told I assure you that Wood was not and will not be forced to hire any assistant coaches. In fact I believe he has even asked about interviewing / contacting the entire previous staff. Not sure how those conversations will play out but I was told that is where he will be starting. Some of them may or may not be back, but that will be Wood's call. As for everyone's questions about members of the staff, I have no doubt it will be much stronger than the previous group.

Well, mcnick , Waller and decker all won district crowns , so I think you have to at least contend at that level in order to be successful. If you go 8-2, make the playoffs and are competitive in the playoffs. I think they will be ok.

I also think most will be ok with the triple option if they win. Nothing like lining up and playing hard nosed physical football. Ridley can live with that if successful. But you're right , I can just wait for the old guys in the top row to react to a fullback dive on 3rd and 15.

Not only do they need to build the staff, they still need some local involvement. The entire program needs to be overhauled from pee wee football , through middle school right up to the high school. So they will need to be part of the community , whether they are Ridley guys or not.

The green hire is curious too. Not s much because of the triple option , but because , from all accounts , he finished second for the job. If wood was 1A, Green was 1B. Does wood need the guy he just beat out for the job on his staff ? Was wood on board with the hire? Do you coach looking over your shoulder ? Remember , if the reports are true , Ridley actually made a bigger commitment to green than to wood . Curious how it all plays out.

Once again Wood was on board with the choice. He has been given total control over the staff. Did everyone ever think that maybe the whole purpose behind the extended interview process was to put together a list of good candidates for the staff.

Parker,

You seem like you're on board with the choices made thus far, what will be your expectations this coming year with a new staff and new system? Will decker be hanging out behind the scoreboard just laughing at the product on the field? Who do you see wood surrounding himself with? The only reason I think green was a district hire is because he was given a job in the building. That's not something Dave wood could have called and offered. Was that position open for anyone on the staff? You say wood was on board with the choice, I don't think he had a choice.

Delco-
I believe a realistic expectation for the staff would be an 8 win season. I also feel that even though many of the people in the stands might only judge this groups success on wins and losses, this move and hire was a bout a lot more than just that. The one thing Decker did do was win football games, if that was the admin's only concern he would still be coaching. This group will have to win football games and represent Ridley in a fashion that everyone feels it is worthy of.

I was told that the staff might be a collection of people who have worked with wood or green at the high school and college levels. Some of those individuals may be connected to playing at Widener, or coaching.I was also told that there is a realistic expectation that some of the previous members from the staff may be back though it may be in a different role.
As for your questions about Wood and Green. He was definitely Woods choice. The ability to make more of a commitment came from the flexibility of not having to have the head coach as a teacher in the building.The same factor that everyone ripped Wrigley about during the process is what enabled them to bring him to quality coaches and in my opinion weaken an opponent within the central. I also believe that you may see a little more then the traditional triple option on offense.

Last edited:
Wait, isn't Chris Bell the guy who sued Sun Valley for not giving him the job since he was a teacher in the school or something like that? I am sure that may be a part of the reason he wasn't considered? No idea. Just thinking out loud.

defcon, thats the problem with rumors. Theres right, theres wrong, then there is someone in the middle. Your assumption about Bell is 100% false. He did not sue Sun Valley....that was a union decision he had no involvement with. pretty simple....Ridley has a new coach and assts...He will either go somewhere else, or not coach at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT