ADVERTISEMENT

The real truth about the Ridley Job

Central League Commish

Feb 6, 2016
Just to enlighten everyone about the Ridley job Dave Wood was already handed the job even before the thanksgiving day game. From inside sources the AD and him were at the faculty tailgate shaking hands and kissing babies as he had already been introduced to members of the board as the new head coach that morning with the superintendent by his side. So as decker was coaching the game his fate was sealed well before that, so called " I need to spend more time with my family garbage". So putting the job posting out as if Ridley was really looking for a coach was BS, because anyone who had any say in the hiring of the coach already had there guy weeks before the thanksgiving day game and that is the fact. Not to say Decker had already dug his own grave by having zero work ethic, but it's a shame they lead people on. What used to be a prominent program just became classless.

Central -
I would tell you that your information could not be further from the truth. Wood was at the game, however he was sitting in the Interboro stands with a few member of the GV staff that were there with a member of the staff who has Interboro connections. As for them shaking hands with the AD it may have happened, they all have known each other for over 20 years. I am in attendance at all of the games and the AD does not attend the tailgates. He also happens to be a supporter and friend of Decker, they coach their sons football team together. Regarding your other comments, they don't deserve a response.

Last edited:
I know they have been friends for over 20 years but that job was woods about 2 weeks before the end of the football year and that's a fact. I got warning news for you the AD was at the thanksgiving tailgate with wood and other associates, and who cares if you attend all the games because if the AD was a supporter and friend Decker he would have called him in his office and warned him and pushed him to get his cert, instead of decker constantly lieing to him saying he is working on it. So don't blow smoke up your own butt, Decker was done weeks before and Wood had the job so let's not say wood and the AD were not at the tailgate because that is BS

Who cares who was shaking hands/ or eating scrambled eggs together. Still not one Ridley guy has any info on a staff. You could have a resurrected Vince Lombardi as your head coach, if you don't have a solid staff that shares the ideals and philosophy as the hc than it's gonna be a rough season. It is now feb- Teams have been working out for at least 2 months, they've been conditioning, some even have 7 on 7 tournaments/ workouts they're committed too. Staffs have attended clinics together/ have had multiple meetings. Have scheduled their spring practice, changed their schemes to fit their new players. Can Ridley say any of that? The Longer this goes the further behind Ridley falls.

he would have called him in his office and warned him and pushed him to get his cert, instead of decker constantly lieing to him saying he is working on it
So a grown man needs to constantly be pushed and reminded to get a certification that is required for his job? Kinda hard to make him out to be a victim when even by your own admission Decker was BSing about the cert from the start.

Reactions: d1football1
Central -
I will provide you with a little more factual information. The Ad and the Admin are all in there first year at the school. None of them were around when Decker was moved from his teaching position or lost his certification. yoi are a few years off base with your details.

Delco- I agree time is always important, and as many people are aware the season has basically already started. From what I have heard the team has been working out since Woods first day. Was told he brought a Strenghth and Conditioning guy in on day 1. Was also told he has basically completed his staff with only a few loose ends being finalized this week. Will be a mix of G.V. , College, Ridley and also heard maybe a few members of the previous staff.

who cares. even with the PIAA going to six classes and and a 16 team playoff this program is still going nowhere.

1. Decker was fired, he did not resign. He was fired because of lack of control and coomtiment to the program , not because he had no certification. He was about 4 years behind on that , so that ship sailed long ago

2. Once we knew Decker was gone ( probably after the Conestoga fiasco in late October ) Wood was targeted as the next coach. That was sometime in November.

3. Once Wood was targeted , it would have been difficult for anyone else , Ridley guy or not , to get the job.

4. Most prospective coaches , Ridley guy or not , knew #2 and #3 above , and decided not to apply for the job.

5. Because of #4, the pool of applicants was somewhat watered down.

6. Wood was given the job , after a hasty interview process , on February 1, which is the date we all said months ago would be the date the new coach was named.

7. None of this is Woods doing. He is a football coach by profession and he wanted to be a head coach again. Whether the applicant pool was watered down , or the interview process a sham , he still has the credentials to be a head coach.

8. The reason why no one is talking about his staff , whether Ridley insiders or not , is because right now there is no other staff in place at this point. Green will be the offense coordinator, but he is not in the building until September. He has reached out to some of his old coaching colleagues from widener like Guille and Koenig, and some other guys from his various college stops. I'm not hearing any firm commitments to date. I'm also sensing more guys turning down the opportunity to be on his staff than those open to the idea. He has also talked to a few ex Ridley guys but no firm commitments there either.

9. The weight room is up and running and there is a colleague helping out Wood there. Not sure if he is an official hire or just a friend helping out a friend.

Wood is the coach regardless of how we got here. He will continue to coach so long as he wins. He has acknowledged that winning at Ridley means winning league titles and competing for district championships. Time will tell if it's the right hire it not.

Shoe -
Thank you for your insight. I was under the belief that only time will tell. However, after your insightful and knowledgable comment I will let the Ridley faithful know that the season and program are doomed. Perhaps the school should cancel the program and fund something else. Thank you for saving me the time and energy of supporting the Raiders this season.

Interesting, but you would have thought that during the "interview" if it were a true interview, candidates would have been asked if they have a staff in place. I would think that would be part of the consideration when hiring...that is, if the outcome weren't already pre-determined.

Speed
I know that you often speak as if you are completely knowledgable of the situation, especially when you post using words like "we" and "colleague". However, while some of your information seems logical, I am not sure that all of your numbered reports are accurate. All reports I received stated the coaching interview pool was very deep. Additionally, I was also told that almost all of the staff is actually in place minus a few minor additions. The length of time is related to two factors Wood interviewing the entire previous staff and all of his and Green's candidates. Not positive but also maybe weighting to announce the full staff at the next board meeting.

Last edited:
RP

The pool of applicants may have been deep In quantity , but maybe not so much in quality. I guess it depends on who you talk to. As I said above , doesn't mean Wood was the best guy for the job regardless.

With regard to his staff, while he may have his guys lined up , no one but Green has actually been hired yet. So as of today , the staff consists of Wood and Green. I'm sure school board approval is part of the reason. The other may be that he is looking to bring on some college guys who do not have the proper clearances to work with high school kids as opposed to college adults ( criminal background check , child abuse clearance , etc ). I have no doubt the staff will fall into place in the next couple of weeks.

As the central league commissioner I know for a fact that wood is desperately trying to get Ridley guys on his staff but it's not working out to well, and the cockiness of his OC is not rubbing people the right way this has disaster written all over it and I can't wait for the old timers who stroll the stands to officially fire him before the first game is over...They should have never promised Wood the job without letting the candidates play out. At this point Ray Giunta looks like a safer pic... That was a joke he is looking to jump ship every chance he gets, bad call on sun valley to hire that no committed individual

As the central league commissioner I know for a fact that wood is desperately trying to get Ridley guys on his staff but it's not working out to well, and the cockiness of his OC is not rubbing people the right way this has disaster written all over it and I can't wait for the old timers who stroll the stands to officially fire him before the first game is over...They should have never promised Wood the job without letting the candidates play out. At this point Ray Giunta looks like a safer pic... That was a joke he is looking to jump ship every chance he gets, bad call on sun valley to hire that no committed individual
Here we go again, who did you want out of all the candidates that were listed? Wood may have been given the job, but that doesn't mean he was not the best candidate who applied. What else would have played out of the interview process? Who & how is the OC rubbing people the wrong way? You Ridley people are nuts! But thank God for you or this board wouldn't be half as interesting.

Last edited:
Central -
I have learned that anytime someone says they know something for a fact on this board they are usually talking out of some where besides their mouth.
First, Wood was never promised the job. I assume, if he had been, there would not have been a three week interview process. Secondly, according to most reports, Wood has his staff in place and has upwards of 5-10 members with community and program connections. Lastly, every report I have heard coming out is that the OC is very well liked and would be described as anything but cocky. Might want to look into your sources. If one would label themselves as a so called commish I would expect a little more accuracy.

Central -
I have learned that anytime someone says they know something for a fact on this board they are usually talking out of some where besides their mouth.
First, Wood was never promised the job. I assume, if he had been, there would not have been a three week interview process. Secondly, according to most reports, Wood has his staff in place and has upwards of 5-10 members with community and program connections. Lastly, every report I have heard coming out is that the OC is very well liked and would be described as anything but cocky. Might want to look into your sources. If one would label themselves as a so called commish I would expect a little more accuracy.

Parker, I have learned on this board that where there is smoke, there is fire. If you look back on my, Speed's, Joe Kane's, and some of the other individuals with good Ridley sources, you will see that most of the time, the things we say end up coming to fruition. Ridley, as a community, is very passionate about their football team, and while I am technically an outsider, I have close ties to the situation over there.

Judging my your posts, which always seem to staunchly defend the AD and the hire, is it easy to assume that you are either closely affiliated to the AD, Head Coach, etc. Which is fine. But when you come on here and immediately refute claims that many other people, who seemingly do not know each other seem to back up, it makes you less credible and makes you seem like you have an agenda.

I have heard that Coach Wood is scrambling to get a staff put together. The rumors of Valerio, Guille, and Keonig joining did not pan out 100%. Valerio can't because of time. They are waiting to see if they can get Guille in the building in some small role, but that is a long shot as well. If he can't get in there, I have heard he probably wont be coming either.

The three week interview process you mention was done to make it look good. It wouldn't have looked above water if they just gave Wood the job, since the AD and him obviously have connections. So, you saying that the "three week interview process" demonstrates that it was a real evaluation feeds into what the Admin there wanted to accomplish.

By the way, I say this agreeing with you that of all the candidates interviewed, Wood's resume was the most qualified, regardless on whether he was "given" the job or not. But, I also acknowledge that he has applied for several head coach openings over the last 3-4 years and never got any of them. But again, I do think that he was the most qualified man for the job, based on resume and experience.

So here is some insight- I get wood but not green. Didn't he go back to garnet to be heir apparent there? What happened at gv?
Look at the OC position at widener under wood how long did any of them stay?
How long before green chases another job? Even with a teaching job in Ridley?
Most experienced hc stayed away. Wood has a good resume but only had one experienced, Winning HS coach in the pool of finalists. Someone who probably could never have been brought in to teach.
Yes wood and AD are close, but it was not AD call- it never is at Ridley. Remember wood lives in gv- Ridley principal was Admin in GV, director of personnel also lives in GV.
I think wood will have a transition to hs. He has a firery personality that wore on some of his staff at widener He will certainly be better as a hc the second time around. But there may be bumps in the road.
I think program will be ok, tho

Defcon-
Thank you for your information about the Ridley Community. Having lived here my entire life I was never aware of those details prior to your statement.
As for your comments about my agenda or connection to parties involved. Other then knowing both individuals when they recruited me out of RHS to attend WU I have no connection. I was impressed with both, but decided to attend a different school. I have taken a difference stance then most on this board and due to that may appear as if I am in support of one side or the other. I am not. I am merely in support of what I feel is best for the program. I know it is not popular but a change in the entire mindset and program needed to occur. Having lived in the community my whole life I know that looking outside is usually not the viewed positively.
We are all reporting out on the information we recieve. Yes, my information tends to be different than many that have posted here for a longer period of time. Possibly you all have similar sources of information that differ from mine. Or perhaps your sources are not as connected as they once were. As we both know, things are different with a lot of new faces.
For example, I am certain that the staff is in place. Also, Guille was never in the mix or interested in a job in the district. He actually is helping his son coach and doesn't want anything that is time consuming. Valerio will be on the staff, working with the OL 2-3 days a week. And if Koenig is part of the group it will be in the same scouting/ consulting role that he held at WIdener during Woods last 3 seasons. Was told staff is rather large and will not be announced officially until this months board meeting.

My understanding is that there will be at least 2-3 members of the previous staff still involved. However, roles may be different or in some cases more clearly defined.

My understanding is that there will be at least 2-3 members of the previous staff still involved. However, roles may be different or in some cases more clearly defined.

Any word on who will be back? Surprised the board would want anyone associated with the Decker regime.

Some of the guys on the Decker staff were real solid football men who were just as frustrated with Decker as the rest of the Ridley community. Just because they were on his staff doesn't mean they espoused his views and work ethic.

I can say that even though the mind set of going outside Ridley for the hire is a change in direction , I think it would still benefit Wood to have a Ridley guy or two on his staff, provided they are competent. Having Valerio certainly helps.

Speed, I agree with you you "don't throw the baby out with the bath water". Just because people had a problem with Coach Decker, there is no reason to paint the entire staff with the same brush. Having watched this program for many years, I feel there are a few guys from the staff who deserve a chance to show what they have to offer to the program. I know this is beating a dead horse , but Chris Bell deserved better than what happened to him. The special teams performed well and the defense was ranked in the top 15 to 20 in the state the last 2 years under the new D/C Decker hired.

Didn't someone, I believe Speed, post that last years defense was statistically amongst the worst in the history of the school in regards to points allowed? Allowed more 20 points games or something than ever before. Speed I think it was you, but correct me if i am wrong.

Their defense last year was certainly not good is the point. Not sure what you were watching.

The defense gave up 17 points a game in 2015 and 11 points a game in 2014. The numbers are solid and would have been even better if the offense could have held onto the ball and not made the defense play with a short field on numerous drives. There were a lot of people who expected the team to collapse and give up a1000 points when Ralph left. (BTW in his last two years the defenses gave up 13 points and 16 points per game)

Those numbers are great but against teams with winning records (including Radnor) they gave up 22 points per game. Points only go so far, especially in the central league. Take out the lower merion's,harriton's,penncrest's, glen mills, strath haven's, etc from the schedule and it's a different story.

Not saying they are the '85 Bears only that the defense was not horrible as people think it was. As for the teams they played there is nothing you can do about your schedule.

I think the stat was that only once in Ridley football history had a team, given up 20 or more points 5 times in a season. The 2015 squad gave up 20 points or more 7 times, making it arguably the worst defense in Ridley history. Even more troubling to me is that I see the Central League as a 5 teams big school league( Ridley, UD, GV, Hav, Stoga) and against those teams Ridley gave an unheard of 30.5 points per game.

Ridley Parker you have zero clue of what's going on at your school, Valero is not going to be there at all, Wood And Green wanted the o line coach from last year but that did not happen because coatsville gobbled him up. There will not be any carry over from decker's staff the 2-3 guys they wanted to get are not going w the new regime. One because Green comes off like he is the second coming of Jesus and let's be honest he is not that good of an OC because at GV Rich Boyd was really calling the plays. Wood also asked the DC under decker's staff to come back but I do not think that has happened, wood did not have a staff in placed when he was handed the job, and from my source they want to have about 6-8 guys volunteer because there is only 5-6 paid jobs this is a total disaster and it all started w the behind the seen hire of wood then the forcing hire of green, if there was an OC to be forced on wood it should have been the guy from Upper Darby, he has now been the finalist for two head coaching jobs in the area. Things are taking a turn for the worse on a ship that has been sunk by Decker, what a sad time for such a great program at one time, all because of Wood who knew the AD.. Just horrible at this point....Horrible

hey Parker let your AD buddy hire another track coach, after the creep of a guy getting caught with a student..... Oh it keeps getting better over there in Ridley

Commish
Let's look at your previous two post separately. First, I want to give you credit for the one accurate thing you have actually posted. Bonner was asked to return to coach the OL. However, he did decide to go to Cville. I have heard two reasons for this, one wa that he was not completely comfortable working with Valerio. The other was that he just wanted to be closer to his home. Regardless you are correct that he is not returning, but in correct that Valerio will not be on Staff. He will be 1 of the 2 coaches working with the OL. Next, I am fairly certain there will be at least 4 coaches that were part of Deckers staff returning. Though as previously stated, their roles may be changed. Finally, your last post shows both your personal intent and ignorance, it deserves no further response. Your ability to make reference to an incident that may have a prolonged effect on the life of a student is truly distainful. I will rest on the previous information that I have posted concerning football. Something that is far less important and impactful then a situation that you care make light of or use in a debate of much lesser importance. I guess we will all wait for the staff to be released to see who's been hearing accurate information.

On a totally football related note , it looks like Ridley has ditched smaller schooL Glen Mills as its opener and has a two year commitment to open up with Truman. They will follow that up with a 9 game Central League schedule. With the season opening a week earlier , they will be finished before Halloween and have almost one month before Thanksgiving and Interboro ( if they miss out on the playoffs ).

Speed
Don't forget that the Green Raiders also have a contingency game scheduled with Pennridge if both programs fail to make the playoffs.

My information is that two coaches from Decker's staff are returning and a third may be back. The two coaches are being brought back because their kids are two of the main keys to any success Wood hopes to have. The third coach was asked to return because he is the only one who can control the starting running back.
Central League commish you were correct the d/c Hanson from Decker's staff was asked to come back along with Bell but the word is that neither wanted to work with Green.

"Control the starting running back." Wow, that says everything I need to know about the state of Ridley football.

Guys why don't you give it a break!! Give the staff a chance and see what happens... You guys are worse then lady's . The people on the other side of the lines and in the stands are the problem.
This staff has not even hit field yet and you don't know how it going to go and you crucified them already! Give it a break..

Not trying to crucify anyone, I want the program to succeed and get back to what Ridley football was. Just pointing out that it seems Wood is having trouble getting a staff together and is bringing back coaches for reasons that are not in the best interest of the program. If you bring back coaches to make sure their kids return you are asking for trouble.

The running back has been out or control for three years. Problem is no one on the staff and the guts to do anything about it for three years and now you have already set a pattern.
It's not the kids fault. It was the coaches. If someone would have drew the line in the sand two years ago, the issue would resolve itself.

Wood made his bones for years as a defensive guy , do I would imagine he would be the defensive coordinator. Not sure where that would leave the old d coordinator if he came back anyway.

Again, was told the staff is already completed. Will be announced around the upcoming board meeting date. More than 2-3 members from the previous staff. Was told Bell was asked to come in and talk with Wood, as was every member of the previous staff. For whatever reason, meeting never occurred so no offer could have been extended. As for the DC, I agree with Speed, I am not sure how he would fit into the overall picture since I was told that Wood is calling the D. Not sure how Green could have played into either defensive coaches decision since they would be working on different sides of the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT