ADVERTISEMENT

THE PRIDE OF DELCO

Dec 4, 2015
Over the last several years the SEPA football gods have often discussed our admiration for the Garnet Valley football program. In this treatise, we take a deep dive into the leadership, production, players and philosophy of the program. To be honest, GV was one of the catalysts for writing and trying to understand what the driving factors were for under and over performance in our District 1 6A Report Cards/The Man in the Glass missive. We gave GV an A grade with the comment “Who has done more with less?” Recall, GV’s enrollment of 608 ranks 28th out of 33 high schools in District 1 6A. Who says size matters? The GV success on the field speaks for itself, but we often wondered how Ricci was dominating the Central League and making consistent and deep runs into the District 1 playoffs. Since 2004, GV has 10 playoff victories which places them seventh in total number of postseason wins in District One. We discovered a highly ranked academic school with very nice facilities in an area where GV was benefiting from population growth, yet was somewhat protected from poaching (only 6 private schools within a 15 miles radius). Since the late the 1990s, the expansion of the Route 202 pharmaceutical corridor from Wilmington to West Chester has brought affluent households, jobs and a rising tax base.

Explanation accepted, correct? Not so fast. That said, what bothered us and what was hard for us to reconcile were the close to a dozen programs that had a similar “profile” without the same execution. See all the CB schools, Conestoga, Downingtown West and OJR. How about Methacton, Abington, Hatboro-Horsham and The Rocks? Souderton, Pennridge, Avon Grove and Quakertown are on the fringe, but on notice. FYI, we will address the splits in another story. It convinced us that there was MORE happening under the surface, something very special. Fast forward to our most recent endeavor, sifting through collegiate football rosters at every level. Garnet Valley, here is another Garnet Valley player, guess what another Garnet Valley name...team after team, we noticed not only the quantity but more importantly the quality of the institutions. GV was literally screaming at us. Here is the list of the SEPA high schools with the greatest number of players on current college rosters: (in order) SJP, Imhotep, North Penn, Wood, Downingtown East, Garnet Valley/LaSalle, West Catholic, Upper Darby, and Coatesville.

Isn’t GV the team that JUMPS off the page? Let’s make this easy. LaSalle may or may not be recruiting kids from the GV area, but let us compare them to give perspective. GV has the same number of players on college rosters as LaSalle (22) with 60% of the enrollment. Take the average acceptance rates and the average SAT scores of the schools in which these 44 players are attending, and GV comes out on top in both metrics (55% and 1307 compared to 58% and 1302). Incredibly interesting and we found the data absolutely fascinating. We did not see that in the Wyndmoor marketing material. Ever wonder why the matriculation of colleges cannot be found after “Exploring” the website? The FACT is if you reside in the GV school district, you have a BETTER chance to play on your high school team, a BETTER chance to play and attend (on average) a BETTER academic school than your LaSalle College High School brethren without paying the premium $24,200 sticker price. Time is yours.

Okay, obviously there is a lot tilted in the Jags favor. However, they still need to be coached up. Mike Ricci embodies leadership on and off the field with the help of 16 assistants, many of which are volunteers. He graduated from Susquehanna in 1984 and was mentored in high school by Steve Lennox, another Delco legend. He became head cat in 1986 and is now one of 5 coaches in Delco history with 200 wins (Lennox also on that list). Special citation to Strath Haven head man Kevin Clancy for notching is 300th victory. GV joined the Central in 2008—has never finished below second place. Cunning beasts taking advantage of favorable habitat to stalk and slay victims. The accolades and results speak for themselves. Seven straight years of 6A playoffs despite one of the smallest enrollments in District 1. SEPA Coach of the Year from the Philadelphia Inquirer in 2006 and 2016. In 2007, Eastern PA Big School Coach of the Year (PIAA 3A finalist), Delco Coaches Hall of Fame Coach of the Year (all sports) and District 1 Coach of the Year from the PA Football Coaches Association. In 2008, the NFL honored Ricci with an “Outstanding Contribution to Amateur Football Award.” To boot, in 2010 The Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union honored him with an Excellence in Teaching Award. Making an impact in the classroom and on the gridiron.

He has helped students raise money for cancer awareness, he has placed over 100 former players in college (including the 22 on current college rosters—see more below) and he has developed coaches as well. Four assistants have gone on to be head coaches, and two former players are head coaches and one former player is a college defensive coordinator.

Mike, how have you built this program from a small, 2A outfit to a 6A juggernaut?

“Oneness” has provided both comfort and inspiration to the entire community. Ricci says, “Football is the least important thing we do here.” “I’m more proud of the kind of kid we produce than the football player we produce,” Ricci said.

That is clearly evident. Considering the 22 former Jags on college rosters, look at where they have leapt: 3 at FCS schools: Villanova (2) and Delaware. Seven at Division II colleges: 6 in the PSAC including 3 at West Chester, and one each at Shippensburg, East Stroudsburg and Millersville. Another at Stonehill MA. Most impressively, 12 at very strong academic Division III institutions: 9 in the Centennial Conference: FIVE (we smell a feeder) at Franklin & Marshall, 2 more at Ursinus and one each at Susquehanna and Juniata. The last three are at Amherst, Carnegie Mellon and Wesleyan. Not too shabby, huh? Despite all the honors and wins, these are his best stats. Talk about setting up kids for the long-term. No big-time recruits at FBS schools here, just quietly and efficiently pouncing on their prey, as the jaguar name translates.

Ricci operates under the belief that football is the least important thing that his team does. His biggest goal is that his players become good husbands, fathers, employees and community members.

Mike, what are you doing differently and focusing on than your peers?

“It is really cool because it has nothing to do with football but it has everything to do with football,” Ricci said. “It is a universal application I always tell parents. We want the same thing; we want to see their son be successful. The more we can work together to do that better, it will be for the players.”

No wonder more than 100 players come out for the team every year. That has allowed him to two platoon players, keep them fresh and engaged in the process of the team. EVERYONE dresses for home games. Welcome to the family. The irony lies in the mascot of the Jaguar. This feline beast is a lone predator. Ricci has found a system to establish collaboration and “oneness” in his group, truly getting them to operate as a unit and team. They are “The Pride” of Delco and have been hunting down Central foes and ambushing District 1 squads for many years.

Testimonial from a former player:

Next to my father, Mike Ricci is the best coach I have ever known. Whether it was baseball, football or in the classroom, Mr. Ricci treated every one of his students and his players like his own son or daughter. He always went the extra mile to help everyone he could and still does today.

Was Mr. Ricci a tough coach and a tough teacher? Absolutely. He poured his heart and soul into every class, every practice, every game and he expected the same of us. He was a demanding coach, a stern disciplinarian who worked us hard but who always was fair. Today, I thank God he pushed me so hard and I can guarantee you the majority of his former and current players feel the same.

Mike Ricci, we, the football gods, attest to your fine work in and out of the classroom. You are getting it done and setting up for players for a better future. Nice work, coach. You have set the standard in Delco, truly making your unit an endangered species.

I find it hard that he had or has any connection to Coach Ricci seeing that he must of missed Coach Ricci´s lessons of class. Bashing other programs in other threads is definitely not the way Coach handles himself.

As a hillbilly from the Blue Ridge my view is you can throw a good coach into a pigsty....up to his neck in slop and he'd come up with bacon.

Yeah, looked at previous posts. No association to GV. Interesting point of view shown here. Whatever the cause is can be discussed, but looks like GV has moved into Ridley's territory as the program in the CL.

Regardless of affiliation, it's hard to argue with some of those facts. Ricci's tenure at GV has been fantastic. He's a great coach and appears to be a great person. What he has built at GV is tremendous.

That post is about as long as Jim udinski 's several yrs ago. Good coach, seems like a nice guy, certainly no saint, don't really know what he has won yet to be anointed Lombardi like status. All in all has an nice program like several other schools.

Regardless of affiliation, it's hard to argue with some of those facts. Ricci's tenure at GV has been fantastic. He's a great coach and appears to be a great person. What he has built at GV is tremendous.
Agreed on all aspects. Even better is the way he built his program from the ground up.

Nicely written.

And with the 'Skins being 1-1 against the Jags (we don't need to bring up last year) it's accurate to say they can play ball (and Langhorne's experiences are considered along with their overall record too).

Additionally, if I am recalling correctly, they earned a 3A state title in 2011 (under the old 4 class set-up).

sepafootballgods: "GV joined the Central in 2008—has never finished below second place."

You may want to check your info on this statement. Haven and Ridley both were seeded #1 in the district in 3A and 4A along with Central League co-champions in 2010. The best they could do is 3rd place. Not sure where UD sat that yr.
Loses to UD 14-34; SH 20-21; Ridley 0-38.

Nicely written.

And with the 'Skins being 1-1 against the Jags (we don't need to bring up last year) it's accurate to say they can play ball (and Langhorne's experiences are considered along with their overall record too).

Additionally, if I am recalling correctly, they earned a 3A state title in 2011 (under the old 4 class set-up).
Actually Mole, the year was 2007 when they lost to Thomas Jeff 28-3. That was the last yr they were 3A. In 2008, they moved up and lost to your beloved Skins 21-14.

shfoot -

Thanks for clearing that up (at least I was able to nail down the 3A part if not the year or game result).

And that 21-14 affair was "The Ice Bowl" game during the 2008 District 1 playoffs. The Jags were a force that season as they had roared through their first year 4A schedule and were 12-0 when Neshaminy boarded the bus for the long ride down to DELCO for a semi-final match-up.

Then with GV building a 14-0 lead over the Blue & Red by early in the 2nd, coupled with the frigid temperatures, it looked bad for the 'Skins. Still, the Langhorne managed to tie it up by the end up the first 24 minutes and then squeak by for the win with the only score in the second-half.

Here's a picture from that struggle (assuming my "pasting" it below sticks):

game13_24.jpg

Mole: As we get older some of us can only remember piece parts of an event. I know I have to revisit my paperwork from time to time so I understand.

Speaking of Ice, I use to do stats for Haven and spent many yrs on the sidelines. Haven played Pottsville at Coatesville in 2005 and Haven lost 32-0. What stood out was it had rained that day and when we got there the temp dropped to the point the ground had frozen. So, when I walked on the playing field before the game, you could hear the crunching and crushing of the ice under your feet. It was something we weren't use to seeing.

There's a mountain ridge (guessing 300' high) with the Coatesville VA somewhere at the top, but down by the field it seem like you get sucked into a wind tunnel. 2003 Haven lost to Manheim Central 3-0. The wind was so bad, QB pass got caught up in the wind and came back towards him. That's the extreme like the ice. The turf changed the field conditions. Chesty could probably elaborate on the field and surroundings back then.

Never finished lower than second : last year there were tri -champs in the CL, meaning they were 4th best team at best. .

Football is the least important thing we do here : true , unless you want to,play another sport like basketball ir track and he puts the word out that you won't play next year if you go out for another sport

We want to see your son successful : once again true , unless you screw up in a big game , then I may have to bang your kid around a bit on the sidelines to get him to see the error of his ways

Welcome to the family : like when one ex GV player involved in a bar fight went home to get a few more members of the 'family ' and retuned to beat a kid to a pulp.

For every positive testimonial , there are an equal number of negative testimonials who would call him a pompous , arrogant bully with anger management issues who will hold a grudge against you if you don't kiss the ground he walks on. Excellent football coach , nice program , but he has warts and skeletons in his closet just like most of us do. And while geographically within the borders of Delaware County , they are not really a DELCO school and most Delaware County sports fans are ambivalent to their success.

There's a mountain ridge (guessing 300' high) with the Coatesville VA somewhere at the top, but down by the field it seem like you get sucked into a wind tunnel. 2003 Haven lost to Manheim Central 3-0. The wind was so bad, QB pass got caught up in the wind and came back towards him. That's the extreme like the ice. The turf changed the field conditions. Chesty could probably elaborate on the field and surroundings back then.
Times flies and forgot about that ice bowl game. That game was like 20-25 degrees w a fierce wind as you said Foot with a frozen grass field that was hard as a rock. Hard to believe a field goal was made in those conditions. Coatesville like Downingtown, Shanahan and Great Valley all sit low in valleys amongst the rolling hills of the county and quite frankly it’s cold as shit! Good luck to everyone this weekend. I’m hoping for a Springfield- Unionville matchup in D1 5A in a week and a half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT