ADVERTISEMENT

Struggling to understand why I didnt leave early and what I just saw....

IAdelco

Nov 7, 2011
At Coatesville vs. Souderton game last night and Coatesville was up 49-7 with about 5 seconds left in the first half and Souderton had the ball on the Coatesville 7 or 9? Souderton decides to kick a field goal to make the score 49-10 @ half. Kinda strange because I'm not exactly sure what a field goal does for you at that point with mercy rule beginning in the second half and Coatesville getting 2nd half kick but ok take the points. It's now the 4rth quarter and Souderton's starters had 0 luck scoring points on Coatesville 2nd string D in the second half. JV is now in for both teams with about 4 min to go Souderton sneaks their starting Fb into the game and he slips through the cracks for a 60 yd TD run to make the score 49-16. Ok get the senior a last TD maybe?? Kicker on to try for conversion and Souderton fakes extra point and gets a two point conversion. Does anyone have a problem with this? If you are so intent on scoring points, why kick a field goal at the end of second quarter with game already decided? Why put your Rb, who couldn't gain yardage against a backup D in the game with JV players to get a meaningless TD. Adding insult to injury, if you want to go for two, go for two in a mercy rule game. Why fake an extra point. I think this is gutless coaching by a coach who should know better. Coatesville most likely could have named the score in the second half if they chose to do so instead of sitting all of their starters. Like I said, not sure why I didnt leave at half and go to Kottemeyer. Good conversation, laziness and now I wish I didnt see what I had seen. Not a big deal but just felt like I had to ask if I was overreacting to what I think is taking advantage of an unwritten rule.

Reactions: MPChesco
IA agree with you I was watching Haverford getting their first playoff win in school history. Congrats to coach gal, Christo, Milew and Muff on the win.

I understand your view but I see it a different way. Some of the souderton kids were playing their last ever football game in high school and possibly forever. Let them go out on a positive note even though the game isn’t going their way. Football is more about just the score. I have no problem with kids playing till the clock hits zero.

That's fine PA youth but I mean if Coatesville sees it differently they put a 60 spot on a Souderton team that seemed to quit at some point in the first half. Doesnt Souderton at some point owe it to Coatesville to tip the cap to them and say hey, thanks for not absolutely destroying us? I mean Souderton had their ones going against Coatesville backups for an entire quarter or so and did nothing. Isnt that enough?

I've been on both sides of lop sided games. Up so big you don't know what to do. Down so bad the exact same. It's awkward, trust me.
Up, I've pulled every starter, and when the worst of the JV team is still scoring I'm embarrassed.
You can't tell a kid, who probably will never play a varsity game again in his life, don't score!
On the other side, being down a ton, have kept the starters in to score a couple of fourth quarter TD's vs lower level JV kids so that my guys will come to practice the next week.

I believe it's the intent from the head coach that matters. Most guys have been around long enough to have been on each side and know what's going on.
Everyone know that when your up five or six touchdowns and your starting QB is still throwing deep, something is wrong.

It's always interesting to watch the handshakes after something like that happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT