ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Wilmot takes over as 'Skins head man

PA2CAMoleskinner

Sep 18, 2007
Long time Assistant Coach Steve Wilmot has become Neshaminy's new football Head Coach. On "The Ridge" for some 20 years or so his various titles during that time have included Assistant Head Coach, Offensive Line Coach and Strength and Conditioning Coach (all worn during former Head Coach Mark Schmidt's reign).

By way of background, Wilmot is from Flourtown. He went to Springfield Montco High where he played ball played under Bob Malehorn and Dave Puchulski. He then attended Lock Haven University where he was a standout on the grid (and while a Bald Eagle he first became acquainted with Schmidt who was coaching the line at that time).

Wilmot teaches at Neshaminy and is married to the former Jennifer Watto (she is the daughter of John Watto who was a football coach at Neshaminy during the late '60s and then the '70s -- Coach Watto was also the "lifting coach" back then, introducing many of us to the weight room, and he was a terrific guy with it a real pleasure working our butts off both for him and "The Steel").

This looks to be a good call as Wilmot brings quite a bit to the table (he's well respected and very capable from all I've heard). And in so many ways being Schmidt's right hand man Wilmot certainly learned his craft under one of the great ones of 2001 Old Lincoln Highway. Plus being "part" of the Neshaminy family is super as nothing makes the folks happier in Langhorne than keeping it close to home.

Good call by the administration and AD in making this happen.

I'm expecting great things from him and his charges.

Go 'Skins!

This post was edited on 2/18 11:17 AM by PA2CAMoleskinner

This post was edited on 2/18 11:48 AM by PA2CAMoleskinner

This post was edited on 2/18 11:51 AM by PA2CAMoleskinner

I'm going to make it 3 for 3. I like it, too. Wishing Coach Wilmont and the rest his staff; Good Luck!

Go Skins!!!

Coach Wilmot is a great teacher of the game...teacher in the classroom and just an all around great guy. My son was a former player and while not a great player he was always treated with respect by Coach Wilmot. Great choice to keep the faithful on the Ridge faithful. GO REDSKINS!!!!

Great news Skinner Man! Things are looking good for the Tribe this year with QB and receivers back plus a pile from the D and now this good news. The schedule is not favorable with most of the powers faced on the road....but many there are diminished with key grads so we'll see. Believe they open with Downingtown and Montclair-NJ. Nice.

Stalk -

Actually, Neshaminy opens on the road as they travel to Montclair High in North Jersey for game number one (it's set for Saturday, September 5 at 1:00 p.m.).

The Mounties (or Bulldogs as it seems they have two nicknames) were 11-1 last year as they lost their opener but then banked 11 straight. I believe they graduated a fair amount of their starters so whether it's gonna be a rebuild or reload this season is not totally clear (they had 6 guys, I believe, going to the next level including Boston College and Kentucky).

Next for the 'Skins is then D-Town West (the following Friday at home).

I like seeing Coach Wilmot moving up to the top slot. I think this is a very positive move. I saw that he has indicated that he's gonna go to the "Pistol" as his basic offensive set. Sounds like we'll be seeing a more wide open passing game for sure (although Wilmot added that he sees the "Pistol" as still providing for a solid ground game such as 'Skins fans are used to seeing - OK, could be).

Looks like his staff will include some of the stalwarts from over the last era so if continuity is the goal his selection should allow for that too.

Go 'Skins.!

Who is staying on their staff? Will French remain their DC? Who is calling the plays on offense? Was Wilmot calling plays last year? Pistol isn't too ground breaking a change. In that game it comes down to your line which should be good for the Skins next year.

Word on the street is French has joined Jon Craig's staff at Truman. They are pretty tight from Craig's time at Neshaminy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT