ADVERTISEMENT

State wide brackets

There are good with updating the brackets. Lots of work with 6 classes, that's roughly 384 teams going for state titles. The D1 brackets are done.

Travelling two hours away the morning after Thanksgiving to play a Friday afternoon game against a team from the opposite side of the state. All so District 1 and 3 can compete to see who the bigger loser is.

Maybe it's Hollidaysburg who should be complaining. They went 130 miles Saturday to Danville and have a 150 mile ride to Milton Hershey this week.

Last edited:
Assuming the Prep and Coatsville play for the championship it may be the most anticipated final ever . It would be a great contest for sure.

How good is state college? I watched pine Richland beat Seneca valley and like how they fly to the ball on defense and create turnovers. Still I don’t see them playing a full 4 quarters with the prep. Harrisburg vs Coatesville is what I’m anticipating and I gotta say Coatesville wins again. Tough to beat a good team twice in a year still, I’m taking coatesville.

Who cares how far the drive is as a player you’ll go wherever and play whoever. Honestly I think it makes for more drama and more fun for these kids.

Go wherever and play whoever. Unless you are in District 1 or 3 where you complain about not getting to go to Hershey. That isn't a complaint or a gripe, it is something that actually happened. And Roxy and Relayer are 100% right. The 6 hour drive and Hollidaysburg travelling every week are much bigger issues.

All I am saying is that two districts were upset they don't get to play in Hershey so they complained to have the entire bracket re organized to where 2 districts are on one side of the bracket and 10 districts are on the other side of the bracket. What happened to all the complaining about D12 having a bye until a couple of years ago? Is it now ok that D3 gets a bye in the quarterfinals?

Go wherever and play whoever. Unless you are in District 1 or 3 where you complain about not getting to go to Hershey. That isn't a complaint or a gripe, it is something that actually happened. And Roxy and Relayer are 100% right. The 6 hour drive and Hollidaysburg travelling every week are much bigger issues.

All I am saying is that two districts were upset they don't get to play in Hershey so they complained to have the entire bracket re organized to where 2 districts are on one side of the bracket and 10 districts are on the other side of the bracket. What happened to all the complaining about D12 having a bye until a couple of years ago? Is it now ok that D3 gets a bye in the quarterfinals?

No, the complaint was playing against Non-boundary teams. That is the complaint from the almost all of D1 and D3 schools. And that will still happen, just in the State Finals, rather than the Semi's.

Pastor, exactly you have to play them and beat them at one point or another. If the complaint was only about non boundary schools, then how come some of the other districts are not on that side of the bracket?

22 - there will be three weeks of pointless travel for teams, fans, parents, etc. Quarters and Semis between teams from opposite sides of the state, then a final between neighboring schools 2 hours away.

Let's use this hypothetical, since everyone is predicting it anyway: Prep vs Cville in the finals. Do you think that game gets a better crowd at Hershey, or lets say Villanova?

Reactions: Concretechuck
Would be a sellout standing room only at Villanova, no doubt.
But aren't all the state finals already scheduled for Hershey?

Also my guess is that in good weather a Prep-Coatesville game at Villanova draws 8-10 thousand, maybe the biggest crowd to see a high school game in the area in quite a while but not enough to fill the stadium.I just don't think there's enough interest among the general public, including the vast majority of people who go to Eagles games, in high school football to result in a crowd of 15,000 or so.

But aren't all the state finals already scheduled for Hershey?

Also my guess is that in good weather a Prep-Coatesville game at Villanova draws 8-10 thousand, maybe the biggest crowd to see a high school game in the area in quite a while but not enough to fill the stadium.I just don't think there's enough interest among the general public, including the vast majority of people who go to Eagles games, in high school football to result in a crowd of 15,000 or so.

If the brackets were never changed this game would be the east final and the site this year would have been Northeast High. We've been bringing up Villanova on this board for the past 20 years. It is never used, last time was 1992 when Coatesville lost to Jon Ritchie's Cumberland Valley team 22-6.

If the brackets were never changed this game would be the east final and the site this year would have been Northeast High. We've been bringing up Villanova on this board for the past 20 years. It is never used, last time was 1992 when Coatesville lost to Jon Ritchie's Cumberland Valley team 22-6.

Nah that’s not true Arch Bishop Wood played I think West Catholic and somebody else. The Red and Blue catholic championships have been there. I may recall Maurice Stovall playing there.

I’m gonna say between 03-06

Nah that’s not true Arch Bishop Wood played I think West Catholic and somebody else. The Red and Blue catholic championships have been there. I may recall Maurice Stovall playing there.

I’m gonna say between 03-06

Correct, just like SJP and Malvern played there like 10 years ago. I am strictly talking about District 1 and the PIAA playoffs. They like the cheaper venues such as P-W, Souderton and Tennent.

Its even worse in basketball! How about a Ridley-Chester District 1 semfinal game played at Temple-inside District 12. Or a Lower Merion-Chester state final in State College PA?

Many years at Villanova for hoops. I want to thank 16th & GT for remembering that Downingtown also played at Nova in 1994 against CV. Still, that's 24 years since we've seen a PIAA playoff game there.

Correct, just like SJP and Malvern played there like 10 years ago. I am strictly talking about District 1 and the PIAA playoffs. They like the cheaper venues such as P-W, Souderton and Tennent.

Relayer,
I recall this discussion several years ago regarding Villanova. If my memory serves me, Tulla/Roxy/Huck went on at length regarding the king's ransom-like rental fees that Nova was imposing on SJP and MP. Even for well endowed schools like that, it became over the top. This also coincided with Prep's re-rise to football prominence, making Thanksgiving Day games a hindrance to state title aspirations.
I believe this Villanova rental has been revisited by the PIAA, and the story remains the same, exorbitant rental fees requested. Even having 3 games there, sharing of costs didn't seem to matter?
I think Tulla's right, not sure would get enough of a gate to off-set those Mainline prices. With respect to the eastern part of the state, seems like the PIAA likes to go the more cost effective route...high school stadiums with decent capacities, turf field (of course) and fairly accessible parking.
Not sure what deals have been set up on the western side, but seeing high school playoff games over the years played at Heinz field is very attractive!!

WAKEMAN...

Last edited:
Watching games at Heinz is really neat. I'm sure the kids love it. And the TV deal with KDKA and CW was really nice too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT