ADVERTISEMENT

State Top 10 2019 (early) all classes

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
State Top 10 2019 (early) all classes
Quick hit here to stir things up. Have opinions on all but at this point just wanted to get a listing out there for conversation before heading to Florida tomorrow.

1 St. Joseph’s 13-0
2 Central Catholic 7-4
3 Coatesville 14-1
4 North Allegheny 10-1
5 Pine Richland 11-2
6 Cathedral (4A) 13-2
7 Downingtown West 11-2
8 Peters Twp (5A) 10-3
9 Penn Trafford (5A) 9-3
10 State College 12-2

Others, Man Cent, CD, Gov Mif, Freedom, Beca, Sen Val, West A, Nesh, Up Dub, NPenn, Dtown East, G-Val

Last edited:
Whippets big 3 will be fun to watch, but I'm not sure anyone in D1 will play with the Red Raiders.

PCC is going to be very good. Front 4 will be great and LB's will be solid. Whether they can climb that high will depend on what they do on offense. The have dabbled with the spread but never commit from what I have seen. One QB has left and hearing that Sunseri may be the starter now. Probably means a lot of QB runs and stuff like that. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a year identical to 2016. To me, this is their year to make a run.

NA will also be very solid. Offense will be built around Colella with support from Colon, Dinkins, and Porter. I'm sure defense will be solid as usual and they will find OL to play around Lugg. QB is returning I believe and Coach Walker will just do what he does. I think they would have a real shot to beat PCC if PCC doesn't improve on offense.

For P-R to be ranked that high, their OL and interior DL must step up. Huge unknown and everything I'm hearing around here is not exactly positive. Of course, trying to replace Kristofic, Katic and Dorundo up front and King and Cerminara at LB's isn't easy. Skill is still young but very good and Meckler is probably fastest player in the WPIAL. They will have to carry team this year. But both PCC and NA are horrible matchups with what the Rams have upfront. I think PR may have a tough time with the big boys, but help them to make another deep deep run next year.

I would think SV is just outside the top 10 right now, but look for them to be very good as well. They will be very similar to NA - maybe a little bigger even - but without the upper end skill that NA has. OL that is Purdue commit plus other solid kids and a 3 year starter at QB.

Interesting to see if Palko brings Lebo some pop to move them out of the suburban malaise football they have been playing. Sleeping Giant. They have a nice young QB and have hired a spread OC. A departure from Palko's Power type football with running QBs.

I know Peters has a nice LB but not sure what else they have. Same with Penn-Trafford.

State College lost QB and Ellis and a few OL. You guys would know better what they have.

Reactions: Stalker
Freedom is a solid bet to repeat in D11 6A. Quarterback Jared Jenkins is an all state candidate, and they bring back almost their entire offensive line and 1,000 yard back Jalen Stewart. Have some receivers who got reps as underclassmen who will take on bigger roles. Defensively, need to replace Big 33 linebacker Tristan Wheeler and
most of the secondary, but Stewart made some all state teams and they have a slew of defensive linemen back.

Bethlehem Catholic is a solid bet to go back to the 4A eastern final. Tavion Banks is back after a 1,600 yard, 30 touchdown junior year and they have at least three Division I linemen blocking for him. Need to replace almost the entire defense. Will be young at QB, but have talent at the position.

Easton could be a darkhorse if they develop. Lots of returnees in defense (started four sophomores in 2018) and going to be huge on the offensive line (returnees are 330-270-245). Could have a star in Nahjee Adams, who grew in to their big play threat as a sophomore, and is listed 25 pounds heavier and from what I hear has worked his tail off to physically become an every down back. Big separator will be sophomore QB Peyton Conover. He competed for the job as a freshman, then suffered a season ending injury in the scrimmage with Coatesville. Really polished thrower, if he’s good, they could be a threat to Freedom.

PCC is going to be very good. Front 4 will be great and LB's will be solid. Whether they can climb that high will depend on what they do on offense. The have dabbled with the spread but never commit from what I have seen. One QB has left and hearing that Sunseri may be the starter now. Probably means a lot of QB runs and stuff like that. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a year identical to 2016. To me, this is their year to make a run.

NA will also be very solid. Offense will be built around Colella with support from Colon, Dinkins, and Porter. I'm sure defense will be solid as usual and they will find OL to play around Lugg. QB is returning I believe and Coach Walker will just do what he does. I think they would have a real shot to beat PCC if PCC doesn't improve on offense.

For P-R to be ranked that high, their OL and interior DL must step up. Huge unknown and everything I'm hearing around here is not exactly positive. Of course, trying to replace Kristofic, Katic and Dorundo up front and King and Cerminara at LB's isn't easy. Skill is still young but very good and Meckler is probably fastest player in the WPIAL. They will have to carry team this year. But both PCC and NA are horrible matchups with what the Rams have upfront. I think PR may have a tough time with the big boys, but help them to make another deep deep run next year.

I would think SV is just outside the top 10 right now, but look for them to be very good as well. They will be very similar to NA - maybe a little bigger even - but without the upper end skill that NA has. OL that is Purdue commit plus other solid kids and a 3 year starter at QB.

Interesting to see if Palko brings Lebo some pop to move them out of the suburban malaise football they have been playing. Sleeping Giant. They have a nice young QB and have hired a spread OC. A departure from Palko's Power type football with running QBs.

I know Peters has a nice LB but not sure what else they have. Same with Penn-Trafford.

State College lost QB and Ellis and a few OL. You guys would know better what they have.

Good stuff New.
PCC, QB concerns for sure then otherwise good to go.
NA, Yes, QB is back
PR, OL has to come thru and usually does, like NA's. Their ranking is only 3rd in Wpial, behind PCC, NA
SV, Nice program on the rise with OL holes lik PR
Lebo, Wait and see with Palko but expectations are HIGH
Peters, they return last year’s standout sophomore quarterback Logan Pfeuffer (6-2, 175), who threw for 2045 yards at 61% with a 24/6 ratio, along with Ryan Magiske’s 1085 rush yards and Adrian Williams’s 404 yards. Top receiver, Jake Casilli (6-1, 175, sr) also 1st Team All-Allegheny, is back after catching 47 passes for 877 yards.

State High: Looking ahead to 2019
, if they can find a quarterback, and they always do, they’ll again be a load with many returning to key positions. The line returns OG Ramsey Kifolo (6-2, 310), C/DT Jason Cameron (5-11, 220), OT Logan Lieb (6-1, 265) and Addison Darcy (6-3, 260), the latter two getting time per injuries. Running back Isaiah Edwards (6-1, 210) returns with Dresyn Green (5-8, 160) with 1012 rush yards, QB/RB/WR Brady Dorner (6-0, 180), DEs Nathan Lusk (6-3, 215, 69 tackles), Kevin Kurtzinger (6-2, 215, 45 stops), DT Sam Stoll (6-3, 245, 38 tackles), super soph SS Sam Snipe (6-1, 210) with 102 tackles, LBs Jim Manyak (5-11, 215, 83 tackles), Kyle Domico (5-8, 175, 56 tackles) and Joe Nastasi (5-11, 190, 29 tackles). The secondary returns 4 including Dresyn Green with 30 tackles. The schedule is favorable playing Central Dauphin, Cumberland Valley and Harrisburg at State College.

Reactions: new2pa
Great write-up as always Stalk!

I think Coatesville will be tough to beat in D1 but the Whippets have a lot of speed this year to match up. With Howard at full strength all season, I think D-West can come out of D1.

What are your thoughts on D3 this year? No teams in the early top 10-is it a down year or just a lot teams at the same level? I have heard that Central Dauphin could be pretty scary this year with some good skill guys coming back to go with an always physical D.

If sunseri has to play QB for PCC that’s a huge loss on defense for them. He’s one of the better LB’s in the wpial. They won’t have much of a passing game either. I also heard the arledge kid left as well, I’m gonna assume that means they’re probably running the same stuff they’ve always ran. Two starting DB’s transferred to avonworth recently as well. I think their secondary is going to be a weak point this year, they also lost the Dodson kid who was extremely impressive last year.

New - Very good and agree with all. I will add that Pgh CC LBs big and fast, will be a step up from solid. I think SV will be in every game with a fighter chance to steal one from Pgh CC, NA and PR. Peters has a ton of skill with Casilli,(wr/db) he has several D1 offers), Hondru ( LB you mentioned w/ D1 offers), Magiskie(rb), McCall (WR), Logan Pfeuffer their QB had a break out season as a soph and is top notch in the WPIAL.... maybe a slight issue is they graduated their whole OL and they might be their DL as well. Baldwin has talent and size but can they finally win?? we shall see. I heard Palko is not sold on spread and brought the FB back to Lebo. As always he will see who gives them the best chance to win and build their Offensive philosophy around that. They have size as usual and Ventrone, Jones are a couple of top notch athletes. They will compete for sure.

I'm not saying they belong but its strange not seeing, Wood, Imhotep, LaSalle or Parkland.

Parkland is going to be a wait and see team. Dawkins is in the argument for best offensive lineman in the eastern part of the state, and they’re going to be huge up front (Dawkins is 6’4 300, Feher is 6’6 285, Perkins is 6’3 255 and a D-I recruit as a defensive end, Boyer is 6’3 260) but the question is, what are they going to block for. Parkland struggled at the skill spots last year and it’s a question Mark again this year. I know Isaiah Rico was a highly regarded sophomore running back who missed a lot of the year with a broken leg - if he’s a guy, it really changes things. Mike McCray wasn’t ready to win the QB job as a sophomore, but he’s higher upside than Tanner Lewis, who is back after splitting reps as a junior. And receiver is wide open.

They’ll be really good on defense, led by Ja-Lon Perkins at defensive end and a really tough set of linebackers. But they’ve gotta score more points than they did in 2018.

If sunseri has to play QB for PCC that’s a huge loss on defense for them. He’s one of the better LB’s in the wpial. They won’t have much of a passing game either. I also heard the arledge kid left as well, I’m gonna assume that means they’re probably running the same stuff they’ve always ran. Two starting DB’s transferred to avonworth recently as well. I think their secondary is going to be a weak point this year, they also lost the Dodson kid who was extremely impressive last year.

Jack - I figured that Sunseri would have to play both ways. If he doesn't play defense, that is a big blow. I thought he was a very talented LB. Who were the DB's that transferred? I had not heard that. That could help level the playing field if teams can protect a little versus that DL. Losing those two and Dodson would hurt!

New - Very good and agree with all. I will add that Pgh CC LBs big and fast, will be a step up from solid. I think SV will be in every game with a fighter chance to steal one from Pgh CC, NA and PR. Peters has a ton of skill with Casilli,(wr/db) he has several D1 offers), Hondru ( LB you mentioned w/ D1 offers), Magiskie(rb), McCall (WR), Logan Pfeuffer their QB had a break out season as a soph and is top notch in the WPIAL.... maybe a slight issue is they graduated their whole OL and they might be their DL as well. Baldwin has talent and size but can they finally win?? we shall see. I heard Palko is not sold on spread and brought the FB back to Lebo. As always he will see who gives them the best chance to win and build their Offensive philosophy around that. They have size as usual and Ventrone, Jones are a couple of top notch athletes. They will compete for sure.

Ya, Hondru was the kid I heard of. They should have beat Penn Hills last year from everything I heard but couldn't put them away. Peters reminds we a lot of Pine-Richland 5 years ago.

That makes more sense regarding Palko. It was hard for me to see him jumping two feet into the spread game!

Ya, Hondru was the kid I heard of. They should have beat Penn Hills last year from everything I heard but couldn't put them away. Peters reminds we a lot of Pine-Richland 5 years ago.

That makes more sense regarding Palko. It was hard for me to see him jumping two feet into the spread game!

I agree and funny was I saw USC beat Peters 16-14 and was not that close. It was 14-0 for most game I think. Palko ran spread few years ago and I am pretty close to a couple coaches so I think it will come down to the wire with what they do. I know they have two good young kids one can run but small, might get banged up. The other is big and big arm to go with it. Jones was in mix but moved to RB I think. Also, I agree and think Sunseri will go both ways. Their O will be just good enough to win. Their D is absolutely loaded. DBs can be average if they transferred because with their DL no one will have time, no one locally anyway,

I'm not saying they belong but its strange not seeing, Wood, Imhotep, LaSalle or Parkland.
LaSalle will be a force this year, but Wood could be in for their most challenging year since they entered the PIAA. Tep and Wood have a pre season scrimmage so we will see some indicators then of how they will fair.

I think Coatesville will be tough to beat in D1 but the Whippets have a lot of speed this year to match up. With Howard at full strength all season, I think D-West can come out of D1.

What are your thoughts on D3 this year? No teams in the early top 10-is it a down year or just a lot teams at the same level? I have heard that Central Dauphin could be pretty scary this year with some good skill guys coming back to go with an always physical D.

Fan Man....
With District-3 often stacked throughout all six classifications, there is always something exciting every year at one classification or another making it one of the most exciting districts in the state. You can almost accidentally walk into a good football game on any given Friday. Expect the same this year and look for Lancaster Catholic to regain their status as one of the real bad asses in 3 with a few real surprises this year from the Lancaster Lebanon-1 and the Mid Penn Commonwealth. The LL-1 should be REAL exciting and when isn’t the MP-C the same. Harrisburg may slip some but won’t fall off the map like so many probably feel and yes CD will be talented as always. Like last year, they need a QB. Maybe they’ll steal East’s rising hot shot! Quoting you....they're real scary almost every year, a player or two away. Off to Florida in a few hours then will get on the Mid State rankings when back.

Reactions: not_a_fan
Jack - I figured that Sunseri would have to play both ways. If he doesn't play defense, that is a big blow. I thought he was a very talented LB. Who were the DB's that transferred? I had not heard that. That could help level the playing field if teams can protect a little versus that DL. Losing those two and Dodson would hurt!
Kyros Thorpe and Theo Newhouse the safety that shared time with Thomson at that position. That would be interesting if sunseri had to play both ways, could he stay fresh for four full quarters running the ball probably 15-20 times and full time on defense. I wonder why they don’t want to roll with the Pieto kid anymore and keep sunseri on defense.

So with Thorpe and Newhouse transferred and Thompson and Dotson graduated, they lost 4 of their top 5 DBs? Maybe the chink in their armor. Of course, if you can’t protect, it won’t matter.

Will be very interesting to see how teams try to attack them.

Good schedule for Neshaminy starting with North Penn, Pennridge and Downingtown West. Then can afford to because the National Conference will be awful this season.

Rover,

Most years, probably 9 out of 10, I see Easton as a solid lock for 9 wins minimum, and a long run into districts. That hasn't happened over the last few years. The talent is there, but something is lacking, and I figure that bad trend to continue this year. I was never a huge Shiffert fan, but he had great assistant coaches, and they were always a threat in the league and states. I believe the AD made the correct decision in going in a different direction, not sure about the choice he made. I believe Shiffert gets last year's Rover team to 8 or 9 (regular season) wins. Easton loves to stay in house, so we all new the Shiffert's replacement would be an Easton guy. There were other (and we all know who) choices available that came through Easton that should have received more consideration. Hell, there are probably a lot of coaches outside the Lehigh Valley that would love to be there. I'm interested to hear your take on the current coaching staff.

Last edited:
Good schedule for Neshaminy starting with North Penn, Pennridge and Downingtown West. Then can afford to because the National Conference will be awful this season.
Relayer - I thought the whole D1 was weak last year. NP went 13-1 and honestly they were weak for a NP team standards. Are you saying it will be worse than last year?

Rover,

Most years, probably 9 out of 10, I see Easton as a solid lock for 9 wins minimum, and a long run into districts. That hasn't happened over the last few years. The talent is there, but something is lacking, and I figure that bad trend to continue this year. I was never a huge Shiffert fan, but he had great assistant coaches, and they were always a threat in the league and states. I believe the AD made the correct decision in going in a different direction, not sure about the choice he made. I believe Shiffert gets last year's Rover team to 8 or 9 (regular season) wins. Easton loves to stay in house, so we all new the Shiffert's replacement would be an Easton guy. There were other (and we all know who) choices available that came through Easton that should have received more consideration. Hell, there are probably a lot of coaches outside the Lehigh Valley that would love to be there. I'm interested to hear your take on the current coaching staff.

I preface this answer with I think Jeff Braido is a good guy who has given a lot to the program. I like him and I think that would be the consensus around him as a person. Now here are my thoughts.

I think the program probably reached its ceiling under Steve Shiffert. It’s a ceiling a lot of schools would love, but it was also tantalizingly close to the big prize without being there. If you’re going to move on, fine, that’s defensible if the move is to raise that ceiling, whether it was going out and getting Matt Evancho, Mike Carey, Tim Moncman, plucking Todd Parsons from the college ranks, whatever. But Braido was a worst case scenario, an inexperienced guy with no pedigree to speak of who’d never been more than a JV or position coach, making the move look much more personal than professional, and lowering, not raising the program ceiling. Essentially you keep the Shiffert staff, but removed Steve, Doug Powell, and Scott Byrd. Suboptimal...

There are some positives. I think Mike Palos has done a great job as the quarterbacks coach. I think a lot of Braido’s efforts in the community to build continuity and essentially recruit his own athletes have been really good. I think the Tavion Banks transfer was the straw that broke the camels back and ultimately got Shiffert canned, and Braido is making sure kids like that don’t feel the call of Becahi or ND.

But they’re not good at...playing football. Steve’s teams top end were limited by scheme, but they blocked, tackled, and executed as well as any program I’ve watched and the discipline and toughness was always through the roof. This regime rolls out some spread looks and throws the ball 20 times a game, but they just look sloppy most of the time. Can’t run block, miss tackles, blow coverage, and get beat in the fourth quarter (and seem to get hurt a ton - is that bad luck or something else). I’ve also heard rumors of the inmates kind of running the asylum, which tracks with how they plan. So for the people who were pissed about 10-2 with a boring offense, how is 7-5 with a better passing game? They’ve underachieved both years he’s been the head coach - D11 has been down both years and they should have contended, but had the worst back-to-back stretch since ‘97-‘98.

I’m sure he’ll stick around a while, he’s an Easton lifer, and I’m holding out some hope that he’ll grow into the job, like Shiffert did from ‘98 on. But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t wondering what Matt Evancho would be doing with the same tenure.

Relayer - I thought the whole D1 was weak last year. NP went 13-1 and honestly they were weak for a NP team standards. Are you saying it will be worse than last year?

Soup, was only referring to the National Conference. CRN is currently one of the worst programs in D1. CRS lost everyone. Truman will go back to being Truman. Bensalem will always be Bensalem. How many programs in D1 have never qualified for the playoffs besides the Owls? Abington hasn't done a thing since Sorber left, just shows what a very good coach he was. Never know about that team from Fairless Hills.

Soup, was only referring to the National Conference. CRN is currently one of the worst programs in D1. CRS lost everyone. Truman will go back to being Truman. Bensalem will always be Bensalem. How many programs in D1 have never qualified for the playoffs besides the Owls? Abington hasn't done a thing since Sorber left, just shows what a very good coach he was. Never know about that team from Fairless Hills.
Relayer - Got you and agree.The Continental is the best of the 3 but last year it was just as weak as i had seen in years. I thought when NP was I the National with Nesh, Pennsbury that made sense and then they moved it around again . Any way we will see soon enough but am not expecting much from that division.

Suburban One leagues will have the typical 6 teams appear in Districts
  • North Penn
  • Neshimany
  • Pennridge
  • Souderton (depending on line play, they have stud at RB)
  • CB East (Good RB coming from injury)
  • Quakertown (only because they play on a very weak American conference
Maybe Pennsbury depending on how soon they shoot themselves in the foot.

Coatesville will be a machine, but graduated the whole line but one I believe.

Reactions: Soup13
What about Hatboro Horsham? They got some high powered coaches...

It would be fun to see Souderton or Pennridge make a run.

Disappointed to hear about Truman. Someone on here said they were surging.

I know North Penn seems to always be good. What about Neshaminy and Pennsbury? Seems they’ve been quiet the last few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT