ADVERTISEMENT

St. Thomas Aquinas football

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
Interesting ??! ..... Coincidentally, I had heard that SJP will open with St. Michael the archangel in Louisiana ?!

Roxy, Prep playing St Michael from a good source? I looked them up on maxpreps and they're not very good. Can't see traveling down to Baton Rouge to beat a team by 60.

JT9 -

The source was very good ... I looked them up - they played DeLasalle, but not sure if its the same national power DeLasalle? I know it was a school in Louisiana - thought it included archangel in name?? Not trying to pass bad info and surprised at the game somewhat. Also, looks like Bosco is back on as well? ... which is also surprising?!

Private vs Public in Louisiana (ps roxy)

The topic is a hot one across the country not just here in PA. Here's how they do it in Louisiana.
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/01/25/football-stay-split/22304789/

and here's the classification breakdowns between Public schools (non select) and Private schools (select)
http://lhsaa.org/sports/brackets-results/football

Public (non select): Class 5A, 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A
Private (select): Division 1,2,3,4

Roxy, the national power De La Salle you mentioned is in Concord, CA although other states have similar....and is easily confused.
This post was edited on 2/9 4:40 PM by Stalker

Re: Private vs Public in Louisiana (ps roxy)

Stalk -

It's a strange dynamic that as college football maintains huge popularity, highschool ball seems to be changing very quickly, almost daily - concussions, interest, designations, etc. - Not sure how everyone can be accommodated? As far as DeLasalle, I knew they were from CA, but couldn't tell from St Michael archangel web site if it was "that" DeLesalle or a regional DeLesalle?

Lots of new head coaches and changes in the future

Roxy,

The changes that are now affecting HS football will work themselves downstream to college football, but it'll take a while since to make football work in HS each school needs at least a few dozen kids--freshmen to seniors--in the program while in the entire state of PA there are really only two colleges playing high-profile football. I read somewhere that under 5% of HS football players go on to play in college, so the colleges will be able to get all the bodies they need for a while yet.

As for SJP's schedue, am I right in thinking St. Ignatius will be coming to Philly in the fall? They should be better than they were last year.

Tulla -

That would make sense ... I believe St Ignatius came to PA before? ... Maybe 8 years ago?? I would expect them to hold up their end of the home and home. That has been a bit of an issue - getting distance teams to hold up their end of the commitment on a two year contract ... Note Dallas Jesuit recently. I'm fairly certain that would make it Louisiana, Bosco, St Ignatius ? Stay well !

SJP to Play St. Ignatius in Philly,

Roxy,

I just looked on the St. Ignatius site and saw that they have the Prep scheduled for week 4--week 3 for SJP--in Philly.

Yes, they came to Philly in 2005. John Shaw had a monster game but had a season-ending injury shortly after.
This post was edited on 2/10 1:30 PM by tulla

Re: SJP to Play St. Ignatius in Philly,

St. Joe's Regional and Malvern should be making return visits and that would fill out the rest of the non league slat for the Hawks.

Re: SJP to Play St. Ignatius in Philly,

IA -

Good point ... Hopefully, Malvern is a consistent game moving forward? SJR is a tough competitor as well in a tough NJ league. Should finally be some good home games - I believe SJP only had two all last year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT