ADVERTISEMENT

St Joe Prep-Parkland @ J Birney Crum on Sat at 1pm

Relayer

Jun 18, 2001
From the PIAA web site.

Argh! I never liked that stadium. Hate the concept of bleachers on one side only, plus the ends are a long way from the field. Why not BASD?

I like it, yes stands are on one side but the prep wouldn't bring anyone anyway, long drive from NJ. snack bar usually very good, if not Allentown farmers market only a few blocks away. parking can be challenging. You guys are always complaining about not using a college stadium, here you go. The Mules played here up until the 50's when they were D1 and playing the likes of PSU. Seats about 18-20 thousand. Also it's only about 4 miles going West or North from the Parkland school district and weather permitting they will bring a crowd. $$

Why do you always judge a stadium based on the snack bar? Is that really important? Hoping someone can suggest a good pub for the pre-game. I don't think I've been here since Ridley-Parkland in 2007.

I don't complain about using college stadiums. There are enough quality high schools that can handle a bigger crowd. In the case of D1 it's just always terrible planning. I'll be happy that the east final is at NE High. D1 would screw up that site too if given the chance.

Birney Crum used to have stands on both sides. It was that way when Neshaminy played Cedar Cliff there in 1988, the first year of state playoffs. They tore up those seats in 2002 when putting the new track and turf in.

I do agree with you about the $$$ factor.

wife doesn't cook, I go to a lot of different places so rating the snack bar is important. Haven't been to JBC since Parkland vs. Cumberland Valley. Hopefully they will have funnel cake & perogies. You can try Lumpy Lou,s on 15th street.

Do you mean Parkland-Central Dauphin in 2002 when Parkland had Austin Scott? I was there. If your wife doesn't cook, I sure hope she excels in other areas
smile.r191677.gif

Apparently they have gone to 2-year cycles with rotating district sites, which tells me the east final will be at NE High, or in D11 if Parkland wins. By the way yesman, Carl Palmer was at Havana in New Hope last night. Would have liked to see that, he is still a force.

I agree with you, Relayer, on JBC Stadium. It sucks the life out of the atmosphere having fans on the same side. I remember my brother and I going there in 1992 to see Allen play Dieruff for the EPC title. How about that? Anyway, there were about 20,000 at that game. Allen was the visiting team, so their fans were on the old side that is not there any longer. Dieruff kicked off to Allen, and the Allen kid ran it back 80 yards for a touchdown. The roar that came from the Allen fans was something my brother and I have never forgotten. It was probably the last game with that kind of atmosphere at the stadium. It was a great high school stadium. Now, it is a track with a football field. IT SUCKS!!!

Relayer,
Thanks for the info, didn't know of the new 2 year cycles. Seems silly to me, actually somewhat moronic. Alternating years was working nicely from our perspective?

btw.... pull up the YouTube interview of CP as he recollects his initial interactions with Buddy Rich, priceless! Maybe viewed on Modern Drummer site as well.

Bill Bruford

Shoe,
You got me salivating with that talk of funnel cake at Birney-Crum, but those cinnamon roasted cashews at BASD, to die for!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT