ADVERTISEMENT

SJP's schedule article----Phl Inq.

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
https://www.inquirer.com/high-schoo...t-ever-pennsylvania-high-school-20190829.html

Unless I missed something this article needs to be better researched! Here’s a quote. “Former Coach Gabe Infante believed better competition would propel his program to another level. That philosophy has paid off as the Hawks enter the season as the #11 team in USA Today Super 25….etc, etc”

In truth the program was elevated to another level before Infante got there by Gil Brooks (1992….162-57-2, 18 yrs), making it his philosophy, not Infante’s “that paid off for the Hawks.” No horse in the race being from D3 but let’s give credit where credit is due. Coach Brooks should get all the credit, others for continuing his philosophy.

Coach started early in his career at SJP playing Gonzaga in 96 and North Penn in 99 before expanding in 2001 to play CB West, Malvern and Holy Cross-NJ. 2002 saw the same opponents before adding Beca and Poly (Brooklyn)….also HC-NJ again in 2003. Here’s a few more examples.

2004 Pitt CC, St. Ignatius, Poly-Brooklyn
2005 Nesh, Iggy, Gilman School when GS was good
2006 Nesh, Don Bosco Prep, Davidson-OH
2007 North Penn, DBP
2008 Parkland, St Ants-NY, North Penn
2009 McKees, St. Peters-NJ, NP

https://www.inquirer.com/high-schoo...t-ever-pennsylvania-high-school-20190829.html

Unless I missed something this article needs to be better researched! Here’s a quote. “Former Coach Gabe Infante believed better competition would propel his program to another level. That philosophy has paid off as the Hawks enter the season as the #11 team in USA Today Super 25….etc, etc”

In truth the program was elevated to another level before Infante got there by Gil Brooks (1992….162-57-2, 18 yrs), making it his philosophy, not Infante’s “that paid off for the Hawks.” No horse in the race being from D3 but let’s give credit where credit is due. Coach Brooks should get all the credit, others for continuing his philosophy.

Coach started early in his career at SJP playing Gonzaga in 96 and North Penn in 99 before expanding in 2001 to play CB West, Malvern and Holy Cross-NJ. 2002 saw the same opponents before adding Beca and Poly (Brooklyn)….also HC-NJ again in 2003. Here’s a few more examples.

2004 Pitt CC, St. Ignatius, Poly-Brooklyn
2005 Nesh, Iggy, Gilman School when GS was good
2006 Nesh, Don Bosco Prep, Davidson-OH
2007 North Penn, DBP
2008 Parkland, St Ants-NY, North Penn
2009 McKees, St. Peters-NJ, NP
I agree about much of the credit needing to go to Brooks, but it's also true that Infante widened the geographical limits with trips to CA, LA, IL, Fl, etc. Maybe Brooks wanted to go to such places but wasn't able / allowed.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo
I know Prep, among other schools, gets crushed for "recruiting." But do they really even have to "recruit" anymore at this point? National schedule and recognition. D1 players all over the roster. Playing on ESPNU 2x this year. I mean, what 8th grade kid would see all that stuff and NOT want to play under conditions like that? And I'm not a Prep guy by any means so I'm not trying to defend or attack them

I agree about much of the credit needing to go to Brooks, but it's also true that Infante widened the geographical limits with trips to CA, LA, IL, Fl, etc. Maybe Brooks wanted to go to such places but wasn't able / allowed.
Good point Tulla, although I feel Brooks laid the groundwork by playing "local" power-name teams....for Nationally rated teams to even consider playing St. Joe's.

Speed,
I know and get that, but I'm sure exposure like this and the in the past few years has made it easier. Imagine an 8th grade basketball player going to the Palestra for the PCL Final 4. What kid wouldn't want to play in that type of environment? Just trying to play devil's advocate a little bit. Anyway, let's go Prep! Hope they make the whole state of Pa proud tonight

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT