ADVERTISEMENT

SJP

tulla

Oct 27, 2004
The Prep beat Wood 17-14 on a Chadha field goal with a minute left. Wood was up 14-6 with 7-8 minutes left but the Prep offense got some life and the defense made a couple of plays.

I expected a close game, especially since Samaj Jones didn't play again this week. Anyone know how likely it is that he'll be back next week? Picariello did fine, but Jones adds more firepower. Barlow must be out for the season and nearly all the receivers are sophomores. Is the offensive line healthy? I didn't hear Harris mentioned at all tonight. Sounded as if the Wood defensive line dominated SJP's for most of the game.

I have a hard time imagining Roman pulling another big upset tomorrow. So LaSalle will very likely be the clear favorites next week. I hope the weather is dry.

Tulla, I took my daughter to the North Penn/CB South game as she’s at South now, so was only able to listen on the car ride home as that game started 30 minutes earlier and had a running clock. Side note, NP looks really good, but their defense looks very vulnerable and susceptible to speed (several times the South receivers got behind the secondary, but the South QB just didn’t have the accuracy). NP took them apart without their star RB, who I thought had the first carry of the game, but then I didn’t see him since that touch. Hoping he stays healthy as he is a Swift-like talent.

We got in the car just at the time that Wood punched in the TD to extend the lead to 14-6 with 11:00 + to go in the game. The SJP announcers mentioned the light game experience of an offensive lineman who was called for a false start on the Prep’s final drive that resulted in the FG, so it lends credence to your question about a starting lineman is out. As we know, thankfully, Chada is a difference maker as not many HS kickers can hit a 34 yard FG in that situation.

The offense has struggled the past two weeks without Jones. I’m hoping he is healthy. The only passes that Prep threw in the time that I listened in the 4th went to the back-up Sophomore receiver (is Washington still out)? I also didn’t hear Phillips name called at all in the 4th. Did they only use Bunch and the QB keeper because everything else was ineffective? Is Phillips out, as well? The commentators did mention that the Wood d-line had great push for most of the game and (sounded like) Dane didn’t have much time to throw from the pocket.

I think the team will be pumped for La Salle and I expect a good game with or without Jones, but (if they can squeak past La Salle), they’re going to need all of their traditional starters back to really make a deep run. In my view, the D is going to largely have to carry them and, with a run heavy team, the O-line has to be healthy. With all the talent that they have in that Sophomore class, the passing game has seemed way too inconsistent this year. Not being able to stretch the field like in past years has had a huge impact on the running game. This year has probably witnessed the most 3 and outs in probably over 10 years.

The team still has a chance, but it just won’t be easy and they will be the underdog in several games (including next week). That being said, you have to like all of the experience that the underclassmen are getting and you can see that they are set-up to be a really strong team over the next 2 years.

Finally, not surprised to see the CB West/Pennridge game being a close one and suspect that the West coaching (they’ve had some really good schemes all year and pushed NP in their regular season game) made a difference. From my perspective, I thought Pennridge (with a really good D and decent team speed) could have made some noise in the D1 playoffs and surprised some people if they got by West. The path seems relatively clear for North Penn to get to the final. Should be an interesting match-up with GV. Dark horse seems to be Q’town. Haven’t seen them play yet, but they just keep winning.

Tulla, I took my daughter to the North Penn/CB South game as she’s at South now, so was only able to listen on the car ride home as that game started 30 minutes earlier and had a running clock. Side note, NP looks really good, but their defense looks very vulnerable and susceptible to speed (several times the South receivers got behind the secondary, but the South QB just didn’t have the accuracy). NP took them apart without their star RB, who I thought had the first carry of the game, but then I didn’t see him since that touch. Hoping he stays healthy as he is a Swift-like talent.

We got in the car just at the time that Wood punched in the TD to extend the lead to 14-6 with 11:00 + to go in the game. The SJP announcers mentioned the light game experience of an offensive lineman who was called for a false start on the Prep’s final drive that resulted in the FG, so it lends credence to your question about a starting lineman is out. As we know, thankfully, Chada is a difference maker as not many HS kickers can hit a 34 yard FG in that situation.

The offense has struggled the past two weeks without Jones. I’m hoping he is healthy. The only passes that Prep threw in the time that I listened in the 4th went to the back-up Sophomore receiver (is Washington still out)? I also didn’t hear Phillips name called at all in the 4th. Did they only use Bunch and the QB keeper because everything else was ineffective? Is Phillips out, as well? The commentators did mention that the Wood d-line had great push for most of the game and (sounded like) Dane didn’t have much time to throw from the pocket.

I think the team will be pumped for La Salle and I expect a good game with or without Jones, but (if they can squeak past La Salle), they’re going to need all of their traditional starters back to really make a deep run. In my view, the D is going to largely have to carry them and, with a run heavy team, the O-line has to be healthy. With all the talent that they have in that Sophomore class, the passing game has seemed way too inconsistent this year. Not being able to stretch the field like in past years has had a huge impact on the running game. This year has probably witnessed the most 3 and outs in probably over 10 years.

The team still has a chance, but it just won’t be easy and they will be the underdog in several games (including next week). That being said, you have to like all of the experience that the underclassmen are getting and you can see that they are set-up to be a really strong team over the next 2 years.

Finally, not surprised to see the CB West/Pennridge game being a close one and suspect that the West coaching (they’ve had some really good schemes all year and pushed NP in their regular season game) made a difference. From my perspective, I thought Pennridge (with a really good D and decent team speed) could have made some noise in the D1 playoffs and surprised some people if they got by West. The path seems relatively clear for North Penn to get to the final. Should be an interesting match-up with GV. Dark horse seems to be Q’town. Haven’t seen them play yet, but they just keep winning.
I think Washington is coming off injury. He caught 2 passes early in the game. He played sparingly. Prep played without their TE (who’s also a sophomore). That’s possibly why they added a linemen.
#88 who’s also a sophomore seems to be their fastest wr and deep threat.
after wood scored going up 14-6 they had 2 conservative empty drives. Letting sjp drive down and score immediately and then drive to kick the fg. Hopefully sjp comes in at full strength next wk to make it a great game. Anyone knows where the game will be played?

I think Washington is coming off injury. He caught 2 passes early in the game. He played sparingly. Prep played without their TE (who’s also a sophomore). That’s possibly why they added a linemen.
#88 who’s also a sophomore seems to be their fastest wr and deep threat.
after wood scored going up 14-6 they had 2 conservative empty drives. Letting sjp drive down and score immediately and then drive to kick the fg. Hopefully sjp comes in at full strength next wk to make it a great game. Anyone knows where the game will be played?
Good stuff, RCH…thanks for sharing. I don’t have any info, but I suspect that the La Salle coaches would want to take advantage of being the home team, so my best guess will be Springfield-Montco, but I’d love to see this rematch under the lights at Franklin Field.

Just checked the Penn football schedule and they are away at Harvard during the weekend of the 12th-14th. Also looks like their Sprint football team, which also uses Franklin Field, ends their regular season today. Not sure what others teams may use the field, but it’s potentially open for a HS game next Friday night or Saturday day/night.

Just checked the Penn football schedule and they are away at Harvard during the weekend of the 12th-14th. Also looks like their Sprint football team, which also uses Franklin Field, ends their regular season today. Not sure what others teams may use the field, but it’s potentially open for a HS game next Friday night or Saturday day/night.
Philips played but was never able to find much running room. Same for Bunch with the exception of one or two runs.

What's obvious is that you can't lose McCord, Harrison, Hagans, Cooper, Jeremiah Trotter, Talley, Atkins, Yagodich, Nesbitt, Fisher, Walker, Rooney, and a couple of other starters to graduation, Clark to whatever happened to him, and Barlow and whoever else is on the sideline with him to injury and not struggle--especially with a senior class that is relatively thin. I expect that even if Samaj Jones returns next week, he won't be 100%. Even if he doesn't they still have a good shot--though of course they will rightfully be underdogs.

And about Wood. As everyone knows, it's hard to beat a good team twice in one year. I watched Wood play LaSalle last week and thought that, take away a couple of wrong-headed plays (e.g. the interception the QB threw on their opening drive), the outcome could have been very different. They made a big effort last night to salvage their season.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo and scs13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT