ADVERTISEMENT

SJP

Wood has been in existence for 50+ years. Until about 10 - 12 years ago, they played with kids from their traditional feeder schools and were mediocre. They then decided to specifically recruit football players from anywhere in Bucks County, Northeast Philly, West Oak Lane, Mount Airy, etc. As if that wasn't enough, they decided to start poaching players already on other high school teams. I guess all
these things aren't considered cheating....
Things worked so well,they decided to do it in basketball. They were always poor in hoops also but have now won one state title and will probably win another one this year. And yet someone posted they are considered a good soldier in the PCL.

I guess there is a disconnect somewhere...

The feeder school thing you gotta get over. Kids can go to whatever Catholic school they want. That ain’t coming back or relevant anymore.

The second point is legitimate and for multiple reasons. Poaching players in high school problematic for multiple reasons. First the slope is slippery from a morality standpoint. Who contacts who, professional courtesy of other programs etc. Second from a financial standpoint if you are aiding a football players tuition it’s cheaper to do that for one or two years as opposed to four years. Don’t need a masters in finance for that math. Plus it’s less of a guess after they have played high school so yes that’s an issue.

Couple things I’m uncertain of at this point. I thought after a transfer from 10th grade on kids were ineligible for a year in playoffs? What playoffs? That didn’t appear to happen this year. I don’t know the rule or if exceptions were applied for but I know multiple kids who transferred after 10th grade year who played in playoff games this year I witnessed. Both in District 1 and District 12. So either I don’t understand the rule, am not privy to multiple waivers or it’s just a BS thing no one is following.

As for Wood in 6a not sure that is good soldier material. There is a formula that moves you up due to past success, number of transfers etc. So they may be mandated up. Don’t know that as fact but there are success points etc being placed in a formula from what I’m told. At this point I’m not sure the PIAA can either make rules or effectively enforce much of anything. Always thought any private to public transfer would be bounced once financial distress claimed. Pandora’s box with this transfer thing.

Reactions: new2pa
GG I am conditioned to think changes occur mostly with the "advice" from downtown when it comes to the PCL. I completely forgot about the formula. And it would seem to me any formula that exists would have Wood move up. I gotta retract the good soldier comment. This thread started with SJP, so I hear about the talent becoming less. I just saw one of their sophs got a Miami offer. And young Trotter prob isn't far behind. So not optimistic that somehow the prep is coming down to earth.

Reactions: Bighead75
I hope they keep the PA State championship as is...
The better the competition the better for life lessons learned. F*ck more than one champ per class, do not split it up between pubs, privates! Winning recruits on its own, great coaches win and parents want great coaching too. I did not like the bracket change two years ago but it is what it is. I have lived and coached on both sides of the state. Had sons who got beat by Wood, Pgh CC, & SJP. Nobody cares work harder.

Soup,
Great to hear the old-school, football talk even though it's short on logic.

Here are some of the life lessons it teaches me:

If something is hard and things aren't going well, find a way to get around the rules.

Keep looking for ways you can manipulate the rules, always look for shortcuts.

Rules are meant to be followed by other people, not me.

And when you win the final game, walk around like you actually accomplished something.

Are the coaches at Wood 'great' as you claim? Pretty easy to look good when you've stacked the deck in your favor.

And conversely, are the coaches at a 'split' school, such as Council Rick South, a small school that follows the rules and has no shot to win, bad coaches?
I suspect if you flip the coaching staff's, all of the sudden the Wood coaches wouldn't look so great.

Reactions: Aragorn
Soup,
Great to hear the old-school, football talk even though it's short on logic.

Here are some of the life lessons it teaches me:

If something is hard and things aren't going well, find a way to get around the rules.

Keep looking for ways you can manipulate the rules, always look for shortcuts.

Rules are meant to be followed by other people, not me.

And when you win the final game, walk around like you actually accomplished something.

Are the coaches at Wood 'great' as you claim? Pretty easy to look good when you've stacked the deck in your favor.

And conversely, are the coaches at a 'split' school, such as Council Rick South, a small school that follows the rules and has no shot to win, bad coaches?
I suspect if you flip the coaching staff's, all of the sudden the Wood coaches wouldn't look so great.
Hoops - It goes both ways l get it but the coach from Wood did a great job this year. I do not think Wood had the size, speed, depth as in past years. Someone will always find something to b*tch about, including me. NP is too big, has transfers, Pgh CC recruits and has no privates to complete for catholic kids with other maybe AAA north catholic, cb west kids had apartments and BS addresses back in the hey day . I can go on.. Anyway, if we spilt it’s more of a joke than the 6 class debacle.

Hoops you are aware that 2 of Cheltenham’s 4 best players are transfers right? And they transferred FROM Wood?

I’d guess that if the wood coaches were at cr south then they’d be better than they are now. Would they win a state championship? No of course not. But to act like coaching doesn’t matter? Just take a look at CB West.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT