ADVERTISEMENT

SJP "Should" Win Gold Yearly

I would want my son offered and given opportunities because he was evaluated as a quality player and not because he stayed at an all-star team and probably "received good coaching?" Trust me, coaches at the college level bring in kids mainly based on how fast they are, how quick they can change direction, good height, good weight, field production, etc - Not that they come from a good high school.
Are you serious?? Dick Vermeil once said "Give me disciplined smart players and I'll show you what I can do!" How do you get to be disciplined and smart? Coaching helps!! Bigtime!!!

Reactions: Bighead75
They are the only team that never has down years or rebuilding years.
Down years comes from players graduating and not being on top of recruiting. They lost more than anyone with “21 class leaving. So much so that they’re playing probably the most sophomores since forever I’m guessing. So I’m guessing they managed to get the best 8th graders from 2 yrs ago all while going to a state championship. You have to give the coaches some credit.

This thread is hilarious. I love how it starts out with it won’t be a boundary/ non- boundary complaint and then that exact thing is what gets brought up.

I get it. Everyone complaining just watched their son get blown out or they got blown out themselves. So they want to scream “it’s not fair!” And bring up every possible advantage and completely ignore the disadvantages. Just accept that little Johnny isn’t good enough and move on.
So true, also I never seen a word on here when GV was blowing teams out by 40 and 50 points. why not?

Down years comes from players graduating and not being on top of recruiting. They lost more than anyone with “21 class leaving. So much so that they’re playing probably the most sophomores since forever I’m guessing. So I’m guessing they managed to get the best 8th graders from 2 yrs ago all while going to a state championship. You have to give the coaches some credit.
True and I bet bet in the next year or two Roken and some other coaches at Prep will be coaching at the college level somewhere. Coaching plays a big hand in all of this

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Most of the teams you mentioned all return home to their respective conferences after they play non league games to TEST the strength of their team. Mater Dei does it, Bergen does it, and so does St. John’s.
Mmmm, interesting debate here- as I am a "Pine-Richland person" if Lebo beats Prep this weekend, does this "debate" change?? Cuz it might happen. AND, between PR and Lebo, that would mean two "wins over Prep" in the last 5 years? And, these would be wins by the "boundary schools." Yes, Prep dominates...good for them. At least they give PA a "national presence." Imagine, if those "national rankings" had zero PA schools? With the shrinking population of our great state, we are kinda barely "holding on" as a "great football state." By different metrics, we used to be like top 5 "football state," now barely top 10.

Mmmm, interesting debate here- as I am a "Pine-Richland person" if Lebo beats Prep this weekend, does this "debate" change?? Cuz it might happen. AND, between PR and Lebo, that would mean two "wins over Prep" in the last 5 years? And, these would be wins by the "boundary schools." Yes, Prep dominates...good for them. At least they give PA a "national presence." Imagine, if those "national rankings" had zero PA schools? With the shrinking population of our great state, we are kinda barely "holding on" as a "great football state." By different metrics, we used to be like top 5 "football state," now barely top 10.
Debate doesn't change. Preps made it to Hershey 9 out of the last 10 years. Look at the amount of D1 talent they are going out and getting. I can guarantee you they are taking gold next year and the year after that. The recruiting allows for a major imbalance in talent. Regular schools have down years and rebuilding years. This is it for prep. They are an all star team. Imhotep is the same in basketball. It's complete BS.

Debate doesn't change. Preps made it to Hershey 9 out of the last 10 years. Look at the amount of D1 talent they are going out and getting. I can guarantee you they are taking gold next year and the year after that. The recruiting allows for a major imbalance in talent. Regular schools have down years and rebuilding years. This is it for prep. They are an all star team. Imhotep is the same in basketball. It's complete BS.
Look at the dynamics of this team. No matter where they’re from, those coaches are taking a group of majority 15-16yo to play against 18-19yo. That GV team was senior heavy like a lot of their opponents. Maturity out weighs talent to me. We’ve seen plenty of talented athletes and teams that can’t win. That staff out coached maturity. Milton (although they loss), Lasalle (split games), Freedom, and GV were all senior led teams. Give me a group of seniors over sophomores any day.

Look at the dynamics of this team. No matter where they’re from, those coaches are taking a group of majority 15-16yo to play against 18-19yo. That GV team was senior heavy like a lot of their opponents. Maturity out weighs talent to me. We’ve seen plenty of talented athletes and teams that can’t win. That staff out coached maturity. Milton (although they loss), Lasalle (split games), Freedom, and GV were all senior led teams. Give me a group of seniors over sophomores any day.
Just because youre 18 doesn't mean youre great at football. I'll take a bunch of 16 year old D1 recruits all day and prep proved that Saturday. They just have way more talent then everyone they've played in the playoffs.

Just because youre 18 doesn't mean youre great at football. I'll take a bunch of 16 year old D1 recruits all day and prep proved that Saturday. They just have way more talent then everyone they've played in the playoffs.
Underclassmen D1 recruits are usually that based on potential. Just look at the teams that are left. Outside of the prep most are senior heavy teams. Especially with the shortened season last yr. that experience is valuable.

Underclassmen D1 recruits are usually that based on potential. Just look at the teams that are left. Outside of the prep most are senior heavy teams. Especially with the shortened season last yr. that experience is valuable.
It is valuable but not as valuable as talent. You can be the best coach with a ton of experienced players but if you don't have talent you aren't going to win. I think lebo does have talent and experience but they are fbs talent, where sjp has major D1 talent. I do think lebo has a small shot.

Prep was "over rated" up until last week. Now the recruiting complaints are back because they mopped the floor with GV.
This was so predictable.
No one ever said they were overrated. You don't make it to Hershey 9 out of 10 X and be overrated. The frustration is when you graduate everyone, it's supposed to be a rebuilding year, but you don't ever have to deal with that because you go out and get the talent. Prep never has to rebuild or has a down year because they recruit.

No one ever said they were overrated. You don't make it to Hershey 9 out of 10 X and be overrated. The frustration is when you graduate everyone, it's supposed to be a rebuilding year, but you don't ever have to deal with that because you go out and get the talent. Prep never has to rebuild or has a down year because they recruit.
If prep lose Saturday does this end the conversation or it’s just an exception? Bc the decision makers will probably take it that the PIAA is fine and they’ll have proof.

These recruited players certainly have a choice to go or not to go to the Prep. There are numerous advantages and disadvantages a player has to evaluate . also as an aside to the non -boundry catholic schools ,the Phila . catholic Schools years ago had probably 3 to 4 times as many students as they do now, with most of the Catholics attending those institutions. They always competed for athletes with their Public school counterparts in their area. Now that those schools are a fourth of what they used to be ,the majority of those students are attending their local Public school. This imo has been a positive for the Pubs . This recruiting thing is limited to a very few schools and for sure they do not get most of the good prospects.

I haven’t seen this team but they’re undefeated and beat PCC 2x and North Allegheny. I would like for them to win but this might be their toughest task all playoffs.
I'm beginning to think lots of the people who don't like--in some cases, hate--SJP hope they win in a blowout, thinking it will strengthen the case they don't belong in the PIAA.

A Prep win by more than three TDs on Saturday seems very unlikely. The two substantial wins against PCC are impressive, even though this is not one of PCC's better teams.

I'm beginning to think lots of the people who don't like--in some cases, hate--SJP hope they win in a blowout, thinking it will strengthen the case they don't belong in the PIAA.

A Prep win by more than three TDs on Saturday seems very unlikely. The two substantial wins against PCC are impressive, even though this is not one of PCC's better teams.
You think some anti Catholic and hate against SJP Tulla.. 😀? Last I checked SJP was a member of the PIAA and seems like we’ve heard every reason why they shouldn’t be.

You think some anti Catholic and hate against SJP Tulla.. 😀? Last I checked SJP was a member of the PIAA and seems like we’ve heard every reason why they shouldn’t be.
I honestly don't know if anti-Catholic views have anything to do with the intense dislike of SJP by some. I hope not and I don't think it's fair to assume someone's strong dislike of SJP has anything to do with anti-Catholicism. I know Catholics who hate Notre Dame!

But sometimes there seems to be something like nostalgia at work. It likes to imagine there was a time when all the kids went to the local public school and sports were all about one "hometown" competing against another. A post on the other board is a good example: "Would love to see a state wide public only playoff. Just to see which town truly has the best talent. Isn’t that what high school football os all about? Representing your hometown. The values and morals are long lost." Sorry but "representing your hometown" was never what playing for a Catholic school anywhere or a public school in Philadelphia was all about. And assuming values and morals are associated only with "hometown" schools is at least a little scary.

I honestly don't know if anti-Catholic views have anything to do with the intense dislike of SJP by some. I hope not and I don't think it's fair to assume someone's strong dislike of SJP has anything to do with anti-Catholicism. I know Catholics who hate Notre Dame!

But sometimes there seems to be something like nostalgia at work. It likes to imagine there was a time when all the kids went to the local public school and sports were all about one "hometown" competing against another. A post on the other board is a good example: "Would love to see a state wide public only playoff. Just to see which town truly has the best talent. Isn’t that what high school football os all about? Representing your hometown. The values and morals are long lost." Sorry but "representing your hometown" was never what playing for a Catholic school anywhere or a public school in Philadelphia was all about. And assuming values and morals are associated only with "hometown" schools is at least a little scary.
It is anti Catholic if you are Catholic not liking Notre Dame! My Dad is a 61 and my uncle is 42 grad! Go Irish!

Oh I get it. They graduated a ton of talented seniors and they were supposed to be down this year and people are upset that they didn't have a down season. See the kids you mention that are being recruited aren't new players that arrived this season. The coaches have developed these kids for a couple of years now. Perhaps the coaches deserve a little bit of credit here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT