ADVERTISEMENT

SJP-LaSalle

tulla

Oct 27, 2004
It was as cold as predicted but not as windy as I expected.

The final score (17-3) was a pretty good reflection of the play. Once SJP went up 10-3 in the middle of the 3rd quarter it seemed almost everyone there (certainly the Prep people around me but also, judging from what saw and heard from across the field, the LaSalle people as well) thought the outcome was decided.

A few observations: 1) I couldn't see from where I was sitting whether the Prep recovered the fumble on the punt return near midfield early in the third quarter or if the ruling was the Prep returner was down before the ball came loose, but either way the course of the game just may have changed if LaSalle had recovered the fumble. 2) Wallace and O'Connor were particularly great all game. 3) McCray was the player of the game in my opinion: several key runs, good judgement (almost all the time), and calm leadership. 4) Sutton was the better punter tonight. He really helped Prep win the field possession game. 5) Next time LaSalle beats the Prep? ... Maybe 2025.

Tulla -

We may have crossed paths. A typical Charlie Martin stadium game conditions - cold and wind. I can honestly say I'm never comfortable in these games. Some strange play calling on both sides, but I suspect weather may have influenced that. Don't recall LS stretching field at all. Found it odd that LS didn't use time outs sooner, then used last one with 56 seconds left in the game and prep oo first down, the game was clearly decided at that point? Prep also missed on a clear TD on a drop as well. Prep D was on it's game again. One at a time - always a good win in these games.

Tulla -

We may have crossed paths. A typical Charlie Martin stadium game conditions - cold and wind. I can honestly say I'm never comfortable in these games. Some strange play calling on both sides, but I suspect weather may have influenced that. Don't recall LS stretching field at all. Found it odd that LS didn't use time outs sooner, then used last one with 56 seconds left in the game and prep oo first down, the game was clearly decided at that point? Prep also missed on a clear TD on a drop as well. Prep D was on it's game again. One at a time - always a good win in these games.
Roxy, I didn't know for sure I'd make it down until the morning.

That Prep decision to go for it on 4th down in the second quarter mystified me--as well as what looked like a botched wildcat in the third. Something in Infante likes to take risks. The main thing, though, is that the players seem to stay pretty even.

Some dropped balls on both sides, but I was surprised there were no turnovers given the cold.

I may try to get down if the Prep plays in the Lehigh Valley in two weeks. Long range forecast calls for cold weather then as well.

Phil O'Connor was the best player on the field by far, game changer, he spied Jones all night And was all over the field. Lasalle couldn't throw which is what killed.

Phil O'Connor was the best player on the field by far, game changer, he spied Jones all night And was all over the field. Lasalle couldn't throw which is what killed.
I agree about O'Connor. Just don't think McCray has received the credit he deserves. As far as I can recall, he's thrown about two interceptions in two years--though he was lucky LaSalle didn't get one or two tonight.

We'll never know what would have happened if Solecki had played, but conditions would have made it hard to execute the usual LaSalle passing game. The conditions also limited the Prep's passing game.

Reactions: TDjones22
Man it was cold as hell, played a huge role. Would have loved to see Solecki play, things coulda been different. But we won't lol Was a good game. Good Luck Prep as much I hate saying that lol. Have some friends coach An kids that play there love seeing them doing good. OConnor & Cherry representing IHM Steelers. Studs

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
It was as cold as predicted but not as windy as I expected.

The final score (17-3) was a pretty good reflection of the play. Once SJP went up 10-3 in the middle of the 3rd quarter it seemed almost everyone there (certainly the Prep people around me but also, judging from what saw and heard from across the field, the LaSalle people as well) thought the outcome was decided.

A few observations: 1) I couldn't see from where I was sitting whether the Prep recovered the fumble on the punt return near midfield early in the third quarter or if the ruling was the Prep returner was down before the ball came loose, but either way the course of the game just may have changed if LaSalle had recovered the fumble. 2) Wallace and O'Connor were particularly great all game. 3) McCray was the player of the game in my opinion: several key runs, good judgement (almost all the time), and calm leadership. 4) Sutton was the better punter tonight. He really helped Prep win the field possession game. 5) Next time LaSalle beats the Prep? ... Maybe 2025.

I'd like to think otherwise, and that thIs is all cyclical but I would have to agree with Tulla. La Salle now joins Roman, Father Judge and all the rest of the Catholic league when it comes to their chances of beating the Prep.
I believe the best move St. Joe made to get to this point was to hire Infante. The guy doesn't lose. Brooks was great for taking the Prep to another level but he would lose stupid games he should have won. Infante doesn't lose those "stupid" games. Great game day coach!

I'd like to think otherwise, and that thIs is all cyclical but I would have to agree with Tulla. La Salle now joins Roman, Father Judge and all the rest of the Catholic league when it comes to their chances of beating the Prep.
I believe the best move St. Joe made to get to this point was to hire Infante. The guy doesn't lose. Brooks was great for taking the Prep to another level but he would lose stupid games he should have won. Infante doesn't lose those "stupid" games. Great game day coach!
Paul, I was kidding when I said "maybe 2025." I think you're too pessimistic about LaSalle. Remember how after the 2014 blowout championship game at least some of the LaSalle guys were saying LaSalle and the Prep were on different levels and heading in different directions. One year later ... It certainly looks as if for the next couple of years the Prep will be the stronger program, but that doesn't guarantee victories in each game.

Beyond the next couple of years all kinds of other factors come into play. I think the overall pool of players both the Prep and LaSalle draw from will likely get shallower. Maybe that means both get weaker, but it's also possible that the more talented in the pool increasingly go to one and not the other. (And of course there is also Wood,) But at least for the next while LaSalle's good coaches will keep them competitive. (It was a very competitive game last night.)

Paul, I was kidding when I said "maybe 2025." I think you're too pessimistic about LaSalle. Remember how after the 2014 blowout championship game at least some of the LaSalle guys were saying LaSalle and the Prep were on different levels and heading in different directions. One year later ... It certainly looks as if for the next couple of years the Prep will be the stronger program, but that doesn't guarantee victories in each game.

Beyond the next couple of years all kinds of other factors come into play. I think the overall pool of players both the Prep and LaSalle draw from will likely get shallower. Maybe that means both get weaker, but it's also possible that the more talented in the pool increasingly go to one and not the other. (And of course there is also Wood,) But at least for the next while LaSalle's good coaches will keep them competitive. (It was a very competitive game last night.)

Stop it Tulla, you're embarrassing yourself with "all kinds of other factors". The only thing that will save La Salle from the future would be if they found a nice Irish, Italian or Polish family with lots of athletes for kids. Or spike into a good feeder school for a few years in a row. As you did mention, the talent pool will get shallower, so maybe St. Joe does get weaker along with everyone else but beyond that or Infante leaving, it's the Prep's title belt for as long as they want it.

The loss in this game stings, it always does. Frankly, each team would likely have similar results if they didn't face each other ... meaning that LS likely goes to Hershey as well. With that being said, Infante was a true game changer and he doesn't do it alone. He'll be the first to tell you that. This game was 3-3 at half - it was a game until late in the game. Fortunately, Prep stopped them on its own 8 after LS marched down on 7 plays in less than 2 minutes with 6 mins to play. LS scores there and it's 17-10 with 5:45 to play and momentum. What I didn't understand at that point was Prep was not running ball well and LS had 2 timeouts left but didn't use them, but used them separately later after Prep got first downs? Also, passing game was not in sync for either team. Regardless, SJP has more challenges ahead with no guarantees and whomever comes out of the east will face the PR buzz saw.

The loss in this game stings, it always does. Frankly, each team would likely have similar results if they didn't face each other ... meaning that LS likely goes to Hershey as well. With that being said, Infante was a true game changer and he doesn't do it alone. He'll be the first to tell you that. This game was 3-3 at half - it was a game until late in the game. Fortunately, Prep stopped them on its own 8 after LS marched down on 7 plays in less than 2 minutes with 6 mins to play. LS scores there and it's 17-10 with 5:45 to play and momentum. What I didn't understand at that point was Prep was not running ball well and LS had 2 timeouts left but didn't use them, but used them separately later after Prep got first downs? Also, passing game was not in sync for either team. Regardless, SJP has more challenges ahead with no guarantees and whomever comes out of the east will face the PR buzz saw.
Of course anything could have happened if LaSalle had got into the endzone on their one sustained drive of the second half, but I had the feeling that even if they had they weren't going to do it again.

I didn't realize till I got home that I didn't notice Myles Talley on the field. Is he injured? Any any chance that Simmons makes it back this year?

Of course anything could have happened if LaSalle had got into the endzone on their one sustained drive of the second half, but I had the feeling that even if they had they weren't going to do it again.

I didn't realize till I got home that I didn't notice Myles Talley on the field. Is he injured? Any any chance that Simmons makes it back this year?

Talley was on the sidelines, but not in pads. Only in game jersey. Not sure about DS.

Weather must have been different in northeast Philly. Coatesville scored 62 and threw for 300+ on 15-25 from Ortega. Maybe it was 60 and balmy in Coatesville Friday night? Roxy- Are u really suggesting LaSalle is the 2nd best team in the State, and they should be in Hershey every year if they don’t have to play SJP? Come on man! Love your passion, but you have to play who you play. It is what it is....

D1

My guess is Tulla and Roxy are being magnanimous, as they usually are, especially since Prep has now one nine of last ten and the one win was on a great
play to steal the win, in a game where Prep's QB personnel decisions were head scratching. Add a 6-5 record from last year, with a close as you can get to losing to Roman and 3 straight years of losses to Wood, to a 7-4 record this year and the boys on here do not want to pile on. Prep is young up front, has QB's waiting in the wings, as well as rotated talented underclassmen with year's stellar defense. Wood has a very large and strong junior class returning, and lasalle will be graduating a ton, do not even have to mention them all. The near future will continue to be challenging. All that said you are right, even with Prep out of the equation, lasalle wasn't beating NP last year and would be underdogs to Coatesville and Parkland this year. If it is Prep and Coatesville that should be fun to watch and in fact, as much fun as would be to see Prep's defense against Phil and Co. it would be just as fun to see Coatesville try and outscore PR. Should be fun as the cream continues to rise to the top and all the hyperbole and impostors fade.

Reactions: lilromeo
Weather must have been different in northeast Philly. Coatesville scored 62 and threw for 300+ on 15-25 from Ortega. Maybe it was 60 and balmy in Coatesville Friday night? Roxy- Are u really suggesting LaSalle is the 2nd best team in the State, and they should be in Hershey every year if they don’t have to play SJP? Come on man! Love your passion, but you have to play who you play. It is what it is....
Maybe not this year, but yes, LS can play with anybody in the east and the state for that matter. The reverse can be said too for LS run 2006 - 2010 - Prep was able to play with any team in state and could have gone to Hershey. Glad there wasn't any D played in Costesville, makes the numbers look great. I'm an SJP guy, maybe we'll cross paths in a couple weeks?

Maybe not this year, but yes, LS can play with anybody in the east and the state for that matter. The reverse can be said too for LS run 2006 - 2010 - Prep was able to play with any team in state and could have gone to Hershey. Glad there wasn't any D played in Costesville, makes the numbers look great. I'm an SJP guy, maybe we'll cross paths in a couple weeks?
Roxy, LaSalle's run of five straight PCL championships was '08-'12. (I admit to an obsession about dates.)

Maybe Salvucci, looking at things from a LaSalle perspective, sees a shift that's been underway for a while (a bit obscured by the '15 championship game) and that looks to be settling in for the foreseeable future. Given all that the Prep lost to graduation last year and given all the returning starters LaSalle had (18 or 19), not being able to beat the Prep once this year (making it 9 LaSalle losses in the last 10 games) and looking at a relatively bare cupboard for the next couple of years could make a LaSalle guy think something big will have to change for them to feel they're on roughly even ground. Maybe it was just the cold last night, but the LaSalle crowd struck me as a whole lot less animated than I've seen them in at least ten years.

Roxy, LaSalle's run of five straight PCL championships was '08-'12. (I admit to an obsession about dates.)

Maybe Salvucci, looking at things from a LaSalle perspective, sees a shift that's been underway for a while (a bit obscured by the '15 championship game) and that looks to be settling in for the foreseeable future. Given all that the Prep lost to graduation last year and given all the returning starters LaSalle had (18 or 19), not being able to beat the Prep once this year (making it 9 LaSalle losses in the last 10 games) and looking at a relatively bare cupboard for the next couple of years could make a LaSalle guy think something big will have to change for them to feel they're on roughly even ground. Maybe it was just the cold last night, but the LaSalle crowd struck me as a whole lot less animated than I've seen them in at least ten years.

The way I see it is La Salle's glory years mirror the Phillies rise and fall. They showed they were gonna be a contender for a while with the year they lost to Washington in the playoffs. The next year they won it all. Then they made it back to the championship and lost to NA. The next year they lost in the semis and so on. Exactly like the Phillies appeared and disappeared. Now all La Salle needs to emulate the Phightins' is to get a guy like Middleton, the Cigar Guy, to infuse a little something, something in La Salle's program. But with the mind set around football these days, I think Tulla's right. The talent pool is only getting smaller year by year. Good luck to the Hawks!! Make the PCL and SEPA proud!!

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT