ADVERTISEMENT

SJP - Garnet Valley

I'm at the GV/Prep game, I'll keep you posted.
Garnet valley goes for it 4th and 2 from their own 30 and come up a half an inch short. Stop St Joe's though with a missed field goal still 0 0.

Garnet valley goes for it 4th and 2 from their own 30 and come up a half an inch short. Stop St Joe's though with a missed field goal still 0 0.
Prep up 7-0 on a 10 yd slant pass. Garnet valley has not been able to move the ball so far.

Prep up 7-0 on a 10 yd slant pass. Garnet valley has not been able to move the ball so far.
Prep interception return to the Jags 10 yard line quarterback runs for 10yds, 14-0 Prep. This game could get ugly fast. Looking like the Jags don't have a shot in hell at winning this game.

Prep interception return to the Jags 10 yard line quarterback runs for 10yds, 14-0 Prep. This game could get ugly fast. Looking like the Jags don't have a shot in hell at winning this game.
Another interception by Prep return to the 2 yard line. Prep up 21-0, This game is over!

No matter what happens GV had an incredible year. Prep so much deeper a handful of teams and they seem to play best in these high profile games.

No matter what happens GV had an incredible year. Prep so much deeper a handful of teams and they seem to play best in these high profile games.
Garnet valley comes back strong with a 75 yard drive. 40 yd touchdown pass by booze and kill. Garnet valley looked like themselves finally.

Reactions: Relayer
GV a great team for this year. But D1 might be a bit down. Good D, with size and talent might stifle GV O. Classic overachieving, good, tough, disciplined kids and well coached just not near the talent of SJP. Prep knows how it goes….lots more speed too.

So is Freedom way better than I thought or Garnet Valley just nowhere near as good?
Didn't see last week's game, but I doubt the two scores reflect the relative qualities of G-V and Freedom. Last week the Prep threw an interception which resulted in a quick first half TD for Freedom. This week the Prep picks off a couple of passes that got them very close to the endzone and that resulted in easy TDs.

Also, a couple of holding calls against the Prep last week in the first half helped stall two offensive drives. Since I didn't see the game I can't comment on whether they were deserved, but deserved or not they kept the score very close. Plus, Jones played the whole first half tonight.

Reactions: Stalker
I think this is more of an indictment of District 1 then GV, right? GV almost mercy ruled everyone they faced in District 1. Then they get mercy ruled by a really young (but getting healthy!) Prep team.

Agree, District one football is not very good. They have not kept up. There was a time when they would play teams from other districts, now they just play schools within the district, you do not get better that way. Maybe
district 12(LV) should play district I instead of going against Philly schools. They are more competitive, and physical.

I think this is more of an indictment of District 1 then GV, right? GV almost mercy ruled everyone they faced in District 1. Then they get mercy ruled by a really young (but getting healthy!) Prep team.
Maybe. SoL looked down. GV looked great, but their O didn’t appear to be a good matchup. They do a great job with what they have. D2/3 kids playing D1 kids. 1 kid going to Navy? How about Prep? NP might of been a better matchup, although GV most likely takes it to NPenn.

The official never should have picked up the ball on that 4th down. When it's that close.

The private school situation is out of hand. They need to be in their own league and should be playing other top schools out of state.

Reactions: BJMaher and EPC FAN
I was at the game. I honestly thought it would be a sluggfest. Hats off to preps coaches. No one slowed down gv all yr and who would of thought that prep could do it Bc it’s so hard to get ready for in a few days. A yr when most wrote them off after losing a bunch of talent and also seeming not as dominate as previous years. Those coaches manage to keep those young guys focused enough to get back to the state championship. I got one thought they would struggle this wk Bc in order to stop such offense you must be extremely discipline and not be fooled by tricky movement.
would prep be considered underdogs next wk ?

The private school situation is out of hand. They need to be in their own league and should be playing other top schools out of state.
SJP lost to GA public school (Milton) earlier in the year. The game against Middletown (DE) was much, much closer than the game against G-V. Wood was leading the Prep by 8 points in the 4th quarter in the PCL semifinal. Freedom lost to the Prep by three points. Just maybe there is a problem with the quality of football in Division 1. This is not the whole story, but it's certainly part of it.

SJP lost to GA public school (Milton) earlier in the year. The game against Middletown (DE) was much, much closer than the game against G-V. Wood was leading the Prep by 8 points in the 4th quarter in the PCL semifinal. Freedom lost to the Prep by three points. Just maybe there is a problem with the quality of football in Division 1. This is not the whole story, but it's certainly part of it.
Mark my words you are going to have to watch out for wood in a few years too. They are putting money into their football facilities to rival prep and la salle and they will be bringing in bigger recruits to complete with them. Woods going to be up there with prep in a few years.

Reactions: lilromeo
Mark my words you are going to have to watch out for wood in a few years too. They are putting money into their football facilities to rival prep and la salle and they will be bringing in bigger recruits to complete with them. Woods going to be up there with prep in a few years.

Hausmann, please elaborate on the facilities that Arch Wood is installing. This would be news to me.

Hausmann, please elaborate on the facilities that Arch Wood is installing. This would be news to me.
They were talking about it on the piaa blitz podcast. They said wood plans to update their football facilities in the next few years. I think when they do they will be able to complete with prep and la salle. They will be able to bring the players in.

No one had a problem with Pittsburgh Central Catholic.
Pcc at least has down years and rebuilding years unlike prep. They lost 47-7 in the wpial playoffs to a public school. Im not going to beat a dead horse but if you think prep is on a level playing field go ahead and think that.

They will be solid next year

The point RCH makes above shouldn't get lost. The Prep coaching staff doesn't get nearly as much credit as they should. When they win, people talk as if it's all down to the talent of the players. When they lose, the coaches get most or all of the blame. This year, like many years, the Prep improved a great deal over the course of the season and were clearly better prepared in some big games. And there should be some acknowledgement that running a program like the Prep's brings with it its own challenges--not greater but different than those of other programs. For one thing, they are a target. For another, it isn't easy to get 14-17 year olds who often live 10-15 miles from the school to come to 7:00 am summer practices in North Philly and to make the same trip (in reverse) at the end of practices during the school year, especially when they may never be starters or when they know or think they could be starters, even stars, if they played for a school much closer to home. There is a very obvious large advantage to being a non-boundary school, but it brings with it its own difficulties.

One other thing. I doubt the score tonight accurately reflects the difference between SJP and G-V. High school football is played by teenagers, mostly between 15 and 17. We all know kids that age have big highs and big lows. The can lose heart or temporarily lose confidence easily and sometimes dramatically. Tonight's game might have been close to the end if a few plays had gone differently. I remember how in '13, '14, and '15 SJP got blown away by Bosco after some early miscues led to a cascade of errors. Then there was the '17 state championship game against P-R. P-R led 42-14 until SJP scored a TD with a couple of minutes left to make the score look a bit better, but I still don't think P-R was 3-4 touchdowns better. (I'd say they were 1-2 touchdowns better.) What happened was that SJP made some uncharacteristic mistakes in the first half--a player about to waltz into the endzone fumbled on the one and another dropped a sure touchdown pass. PR scores a TD at the end of the half and the wind went out of the Prep's sails.

Maybe lots of the blowouts were seeing are partly the result of this phenomenon. (They may also be partly a result of a widening gap in quality between leagues, regions, and teams.)

The point RCH makes above shouldn't get lost. The Prep coaching staff doesn't get nearly as much credit as they should. When they win, people talk as if it's all down to the talent of the players. When they lose, the coaches get most or all of the blame. This year, like many years, the Prep improved a great deal over the course of the season and were clearly better prepared in some big games. And there should be some acknowledgement that running a program like the Prep's brings with it its own challenges--not greater but different than those of other programs. For one thing, they are a target. For another, it isn't easy to get 14-17 year olds who often live 10-15 miles from the school to come to 7:00 am summer practices in North Philly and to make the same trip (in reverse) at the end of practices during the school year, especially when they may never be starters or when they know or think they could be starters, even stars, if they played for a school much closer to home. There is a very obvious large advantage to being a non-boundary school, but it brings with it its own difficulties.

One other thing. I doubt the score tonight accurately reflects the difference between SJP and G-V. High school football is played by teenagers, mostly between 15 and 17. We all know kids that age have big highs and big lows. The can lose heart or temporarily lose confidence easily and sometimes dramatically. Tonight's game might have been close to the end if a few plays had gone differently. I remember how in '13, '14, and '15 SJP got blown away by Bosco after some early miscues led to a cascade of errors. Then there was the '17 state championship game against P-R. P-R led 42-14 until SJP scored a TD with a couple of minutes left to make the score look a bit better, but I still don't think P-R was 3-4 touchdowns better. (I'd say they were 1-2 touchdowns better.) What happened was that SJP made some uncharacteristic mistakes in the first half--a player about to waltz into the endzone fumbled on the one and another dropped a sure touchdown pass. PR scores a TD at the end of the half and the wind went out of the Prep's sails.

Maybe lots of the blowouts were seeing are partly the result of this phenomenon. (They may also be partly a result of a widening gap in quality between leagues, regions, and teams.)
Garnet valley played a great game and I think that was their A game. Prep just has way to much talent on that field for them. I think Mt Lebo has a unbelievable team as well but Hersey will be much the same.

Garnet valley played a great game and I think that was their A game. Prep just has way to much talent on that field for them. I think Mt Lebo has a unbelievable team as well but Hersey will be much the same.
Really? That was their A game?

Reactions: BJMaher
I hate that we talk about this now. We was on the boards all wk and to play victim now does nothing for the kids from gv. Gv had an amazing yr. and those kids played their hearts out tonight no matter the outcome.
No one is disputing that garnet valley played their hearts out and had a great season but to think there is an even playing field is insanity as well. You ever wander why prep never has to rebuild or even has down years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT