ADVERTISEMENT

SJP 22 - Tampa Jesuit 7

roxychknpoxy

Sep 9, 2008
Game much closer than score indicates. Very tough defensive game. Tampa Jesuit has its share of D1 players. An SJP pick 6 with 4 minutes left in game was biggest difference. Tampa Jesuit QB was a freshman who has a ton of promise. Good luck to Jesuit for remainder of their season.

I watched the game on Hudl for stat purposes and after the 1st QT SJP's offense struggled for the most part. In that opening quarter the Hawks offense produced 7 of their 10 first downs in the game, scored lone offensive TD, and had missed a FG. For the game, the Hawks' tailback only combined for 32 yards on 17 carries. McCray had respectable numbers running the ball. Defensively, the Hawks were as advertised. Not sure how good Tampa's O is, but the Hawks are fast, physical, and always seem to be in the right position. They made 15 plays for losses, including 6 sacks. Tampa only had 48 yards on 45 plays. They rushed for -14 on 23 totes. The Hawks forced three TO's, including a 60-yard INT TD. They blocked a FG and added a safety. The post-Swift era is going to be a work-in-progress at least early on, but I eventually think they'll become a pretty good offense.

I watched the game on Hudl for stat purposes and after the 1st QT SJP's offense struggled for the most part. In that opening quarter the Hawks offense produced 7 of their 10 first downs in the game, scored lone offensive TD, and had missed a FG. For the game, the Hawks' tailback only combined for 32 yards on 17 carries. McCray had respectable numbers running the ball. Defensively, the Hawks were as advertised. Not sure how good Tampa's O is, but the Hawks are fast, physical, and always seem to be in the right position. They made 15 plays for losses, including 6 sacks. Tampa only had 48 yards on 45 plays. They rushed for -14 on 23 totes. The Hawks forced three TO's, including a 60-yard INT TD. They blocked a FG and added a safety. The post-Swift era is going to be a work-in-progress at least early on, but I eventually think they'll become a pretty good offense.
I listened to much of the radio broadcast and gathered that SJP has some injury problems in addition to Simmons: Dandridge, Leneghan, and maybe Possenti. Next week's game will be much tougher. Apparently St. Peter's Prep is strong everywhere but especially upfront defensively.

Stout defensive effort. SJP had quickness to the ball and finished tackles and plays. Offensive still a work in progress. As noted, there was some early O success, Tampa adjusted and SJP did not. Still some work to do, but based on what LS and AW did this weekend I would say still the favorite to come out of the Red. LS without Jones = another 6-7 win year.

Stout defensive effort. SJP had quickness to the ball and finished tackles and plays. Offensive still a work in progress. As noted, there was some early O success, Tampa adjusted and SJP did not. Still some work to do, but based on what LS and AW did this weekend I would say still the favorite to come out of the Red. LS without Jones = another 6-7 win year.

What is the story on Jones? If he goes down, it would be a damn shame! Two seasons in a row! Anyone hear of an injury report?

Huck said on a different thread that he walked off on his own power and speculated that perhaps it was an abundance of caution ( meaningless game and all)

Huck said on a different thread that he walked off on his own power and speculated that perhaps it was an abundance of caution ( meaningless game and all)

Yea, but that is more or less what I'm hoping for the kid and LaSalle. It's not uncommon for players to walk-off somewhat normally and still have a significant injury. We'll see....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT