ADVERTISEMENT

Shanahan lights approved

ChesmontLeague1

Jul 26, 2012
Turf field, restroom facility and Friday night games under the lights are getting them on par with the much larger division foes (Coatesville, Downingtown's, Henderson, etc.) Last years freshman team was pretty successful and had almost 40 kids out. Let's see if Shanahan can keep it going for the next few years. Coach Meyers.. I feel a little similarity here between you and Chip Kelly. Just kidding. Good luck.

Have to add.. maybe this will help us keep recruiting smart kids to win the STEM competition too!
laugh.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/5 9:28 PM by ChesmontLeague1

http://www.dailylocal.com/general-news/20150305/downingtown-borough-council-permits-field-lights-at-bishop-shanahan

I was out there a few years back and I liked the entire atmosphere. Is there any talk of putting stands on both sides down the road?

Haven't heard it discussed from people in charge. It may be difficult due to the drainage on that side plus they would probably be required to put in more parking. I noticed Shanahan bought the house on the other side behind scoreboard meaning they are creating a buffer or planning to move stuff (drainage) or parking? That's just a guess.

Just a question about Shanahan, Are they from the Phila. Archdiocese ? and if yes, why aren't they a Phila. Catholic League member . I would appreciate your reply, Thanks

Yes, Shanahan is a Philadelphia Archdiocesan high school just like Pope John Paul II is.

Not every Archdiocesan high school must join the PCL; they do have the right to join whatever league they believe best suits their needs (Lansdale Catholic actually left the PCL for "greener pastures" and rejoined a few years later). In these days of budget crunches, I believe more and more schools just join the local league to minimize travel costs.

It would not surprise me to see both these schools in the PCL down the road; I'm not sure they share a great deal in common with members of the leagues they are presently in.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Shanahan join the PCL. I like the prestige and also opportunity to play Carroll, Bonner, O'Hara, even Prep and LaSalle for league games. It would make us upgrade the athletic program even more. Hell... maybe we would be a pool next to gym and cafeteria. If PA ever creates a Private/Parochial state championship Shanahan's hand would be forced.

On the other hand you make many great points and Shanahan is already in a top notch all around sports league so why would they want to leave? As far as things not in common you are off. Most of Shanahan's kids come from the largest heavily Catholic communities Coatesville, Downingtown and West Chester and they play on Coatesville Kid Raiders, DYW/Marsh Creek and LAFA (West Chester youth football). The kids know each other around here and nuns (Regina/Maureen) know the competition is the local public schools plus Malvern and Villa Maria . Academically and Fine Arts wise we are right there with the competition. If Archdiocese ever collapses Shanahan will survive as they have already proceeded that way since the new building opened in 1999.

chestmont league 1, I would like to see them join the PCL. I have been observing the positive movement over the last few years and they even have their own stadium !!!!! They would be a welcome addition Im sure. Just my opinion.

CL1, agree with all your points; my comment about "in common" was strictly having to do with the religious side of education and how the archdiocesan schools make a major commitment to helping their communities and putting their religion into action. Not that public schools students don't do the same; I just believe it's a more basic tenet at Catholic schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT