Upper Darby (1-0)
Springfield-D (1-0)
Souderton (0-1)
WC Rustin (0-1)
Episcopal (1-0)
Ridley (1-0)

Reactions: lilromeo
Huck/members,
Any of your cohorts at the Pennsbury game, a lot of new pieces, wondered how they looked in light of 1st game competition.

1. SJ Prep (1-0)
2. Imhotep (1-0)
3. Wood (1-0)
4. Downingtown-East (1-0)
5. LaSalle (1-0)
6. Neshaminy (1-0)
7. Haverford School (1-0)
8. Upper Dublin (1-0)
9. Pennsbury (1-0)
10. Downingtown-West (1-0)
11. Coatesville (1-0)
12. Malvern (1-0)
13. North Penn (0-1)
14. West Catholic (1-0)
15. Perk Valley (1-0)
16. Simon Gratz (0-1)
17. Unionville (1-0)
18. Spring-Ford (1-0)
19. Quakertown (1-0)
20. Pennridge (1-0)
21. CB South (1-0)
22. Father Judge (1-0)
23. CR South (0-1)
24. Prep Charter (1-0)
25. Conestoga (1-0)

Under Consideration:
CB East (1-0)
Ryan (0-1)
Garnet Valley (0-1)
CR North (0-1)
Plymouth-WH (1-0)

Others:
Truman (1-0)
Ben Franklin (1-0)
Upper Darby (1-0)
Springfield-D (1-0)
Souderton (0-1)
WC Rustin (0-1)
Episcopal (1-0)
Ridley (1-0)
Central Bucks East will be a team to watch going forward, not for top spots but will definitely make some noise.

Downingtown west is my sleeper to win d-1 so they need to beat neshaminy this week to make a statement

It is the "Rubber Match" and I'm sure glad we have them at "The Ridge". Looking them over I'd say they appear to be a very solid club with a nice result in their win last week. Should be a great game this Friday (and Jake Barr - 2 - and Nate Alleyne - 19 - do look like they can both play with Barr showing some very nice moves when the ball is in his hands).

Last edited:
Dtown West's skill players, #2 (RB), #11 (QB), #19 (WR), and #30 (RB), are dynamic players that the Skins will need to slow down in order to keep the Whippets from lighting up the scoreboard. #2 is one of the quickest players in SE PA and #30 doesn't go down easy. The grass and the "crown" at the Ridge should slow #2, but it might help #30. #19 got behind the Haverford D regularly on Friday night. Hughes needs to shut that down. The Whippet D is on the lighter side, but they fly to the ball.

Fletcher - DWest has to get through Cville and DEast. DEast has many returning key players on both sides of ball, line size (DWest got bigger but I wouldn't say they are gonna scare people exiting the bus) plus speed at RB and defensive backfield. DEast is my pick for Chesmont. I watched those DWest kids (Mattioni, Barr, Mikey Riddick and Branden Petersen) grow up through the Young Whippets. I want to see how they'll hold up late in season and playoffs. Should be a good game up in langhorne 215 Phila area!

I haven't seen the Raiders this season, but I'm sure they're big up front and super fast at the skill spots. Dtown East looked very impressive against the Skins in their scrimmage at Kottmeyer. I could see that QB coming out of 2015 as one of the big surprises of the season. It helps when your main receiver is just about un-coverable.

Fletcher - I missed all games this weekend and will be interested to see how the Red Raiders fare this season They have always been (since we moved here in 73) the high water mark for the Chesmont and still are today as they regularly put top competition on the field. Raiders are the most winningest program in D1 and I think now have 667 wins now? Jordan Young is a great kid (Anthony his Dad is cool too. He's a former Temple star). Apparently he got better with his passing and worked on this ground game too. I'm sure w the great coaching, speed and big lineman they'll be in the mix for league title. I'm partial but the Chesmont National not only produces upsets every week but usually puts 3 or 4 teams into the playoffs. Should be another great year.

Last edited:
It is the "Rubber Match" and I'm sure glad we have them at "The Ridge". Looking them over I'd say they appear to be a very solid club with a nice result in their win last week. Should be a great game this Friday (and Jake Barr - 2 - and Nate Alleyne - 19 - do look like they can both play with Barr showing some very nice moves when the ball is in his hands).
I agree, both teams will likely be in playoffs so this will be a fun one. Interested in how much the field might slowdown D-west. Natural turf right?

Zipline -

Neshaminy's field is grass.

Then to the extent it was helpful (for me) I caught video of D-Town and can see their players are solid and that they've got some fellows who can handle the ball (I was mainly watching the offense). They're a good crew and mixed up the plays too with #2 able to put on a fake that had guys tackling air).

In regard to my beloved 'Skins, I would suggest they are solid across the front with Kelly - 6'-3, 285 tackle (sr), Parry - 6'-1', 285 guard (jr), Sanko - 5'-9", 205 center (jr), Minotti - 6'-4", 230 guard (sr) and Ritchey - 6'-2", 235 TE (sr) all returning from last year. Then there is Chris Wilson (6'-5", 290 tackle jr) as the "new" guy. Good size (yes) and with the experience of a season under their belts (there were a lot of new faces last year after that great 2013 squad graduated a lot).

The wideouts (Denzel Hughes and Zach Tredway) are back too and with Mason Jones (jr) looking well at ease in his second year as the starting QB (with a very nice arm while he also showed his running abilities against Montclair as he picked up over 100 yards on the ground). They can pass.

Junior Will Dogba (32 carries, 172 yards and 2 TDs on Saturday -- MaxPreps) is Pollard's replacement. He took a bunch of handoffs as a frosh and soph and was deep on kickoffs and punts at times so he's not a stranger to the game and it showed as he had a workmanlike day and has some great moves. He showed good speed and stamina on a hot afternoon on a strange field - and if it weren't for losing the handle on that one, as he was pushing for it, he'd have had 3 scores -- so not a bad game one.

On defense it looks like they have very good speed in their DBs and the LBs too (and D-Town is quick so they'll need it). A point here is the Webb kid at Montclair (soph) was a shifty speed merchant and he really carried them with his 340 all purpose yards ( a kickoff return and punt return helped those numbers but he could do it on the ground and had hands too with 3 catches as I recall - scored a couple too). I'm sure the coaches are reminding them of "that" while pointing out those quick footed guys at West.

Reactions: Zipline33
Impressive summary PA2CAMoleskinner, thanks! I think you have sized up the match up perfectly, it should be a real exciting game. I will likely leave early to ensure I get there before game time. Do you recommend any establishments to relax and have a cold one if I get there too early? Thanks again!!!

PAMole - Nice write up on your Skins. 31 points is a lot for a defense to give up. Is Montclair even more potent than Dtown West? If so I think the Whippets are in trouble? All these paper match ups are great but I want see come game time how the Whippets handle Neshsminys offense. Drowns defense was the problem last year. The offense is even better than last. Good luck.

Zip -

I'll leave the local establishments to the locals as I live in far away Southern Cal and have for too long to be able to comment; however, I warmed a seat or two in my day at the Langhorne Hotel (100 West Maple) and it's still there. Note too that the school is not really sitting close to anything so the Hotel is a good shot.

By the way, I was gonna add that Coach Wilmot played under the great Mark Schmidt and then coached with him for nearly two decades. Notwithstanding the fancy "Pistol" offense they just installed for Jones and his fleet-footed and sure-handed targets, Wilmot is a "run guy" at heart. In fact, he is not shy about stelling you that you need to establish your ground game first - period. Interestingly, they are lining up at times with Jones at 3 yards back and the H-Back(Dogba) at 5 with an FB to one side or the other (instead of just the QB and H-Back set up). That's not on every play but when you see it you'll think it's like a hybrid Wing-T thing (almost except with the QB not under center). The point is they will run (I think the run to pass was about a 70/30 ratio or so on Saturday which might be more because it was game one and Dogba was getting it done -- I think they had 350 plus total offense so it was a representative effort). And you might see that ratio even up a bit as it goes along tis year (or at least get closer to 60/40 anyway - Jones likes to throw and can).

So, they love their linemen up there (Wilmot was an "O lineman himself) so we all get excited when they have a bunch of nice looking kids up front (knock on wood we seem to roll a back through consistently if you think of just the last 15 years and Brittingham, Coleman, Jason Ulmer, the Kinney brothers, Bryan Dean and then Pollard - maybe it's the line that is doing the work - and now Dogba looks solid and cut from the same mold).

Anyway - there it is.

Chesmont -

Of those 31 points two scores came on special teams play (still scores, I agree). And I'm willing to concede that it would have been nicer to keep that down a bit (the points) so I'd like to see improvement. And I'll say this too - D-Town does not need to take a back seat to Montclair offensively (and as to skill personnel). I mentioned above that Webb of the Mounties "carried them" as he put a nice one man show with the Whippets looking as if they may have a few more tools to work with..

We'll see shortly. And for the moment I'm happy that they took to the road on a Saturday and came back with the "W" but with the "after glow" wearing off this Friday is now getting my full attention.

Fair enough. I'm not sure who is going to win but it sure seems to be a pretty good matchup going into the game. Good luck and wish I could make from Wilmington DE to Langhorne on Friday but not even gonna try w that traffic. I made that commute (Radnor to Bensalem) for several years when I was first married many moons ago. I'm glad someone from our league is playing the caliber of Neshaminy for non league games.

I'll be leaving Glenmoore around 4:00, so I'm expecting the normal mess on the turnpike and route 1 around 4:45. Might hit the Uno or Longhorn which are right off of 1 if time permits.

Zip, those restaurants are right off the Neshaminy exit of US 1 north coming from the turnpike. There's also a Red Robin and Bartucci's (it's a typical mall/shopping center area). Although the exit says "Neshaminy", it's really for the mall only. You will need to get back on US 1 north. The high school is a mile farther up. It's on the left but you will need to exit on the right.

We'll be tailgating right under the water tower before the game (located on the road directly behind the visitor's bleachers, can't miss it). I find the parking down that road is much easier getting in and out. Stop by before the game and have a cold one, or at halftime. We always sit on the away side. Ask for relayer.

Fletch, stop by Friday if you get a chance.

Ches-Mont, I don't blame you, what a shitty ride on a Friday evening from Wilmington.

Been a while since we`ve had this kind of "statement" game this early and between 2 D1 teams. Reminds me of days of old.

I was at the last two DTown West - Skins games. Last year DTown West got revenge for the pounding Neshaminy's great 13 team put on them (West was coming off a really nice win then too) by embarassing the young Skins. Tyler McNulty, Jake Barr and the FB were able to do anything to them. Only Pollard kept it from being a blowout. Barr is a scary shifty small guy similar to Webb at Montclair. He is going to be a problem. I think both teams will be able to move the ball on offense and probably score.
After listening (WBCB had the game) to the Montclair game. i have to think that Neshaminy's big line is vastly improved and their defense is good to very good. Webb wasn't the only weapon in Montclair's arsenal, just the only one that had real success. Elijah J. Robinson, the speedy 6'3 WR was kept in check by Hughes and Tredway, two 6'2, 6'3 WR/DBs. Not many teams can put that kind of size out to cover a WR. Tarrin Earle the QB has a big arm, but really was pressured as well as Neshaminy's linewas better than Montclair's equally big line. I was very impressed by the Skins and think they will be looking for revenge from last year. Taht said, DTown West is a scary opponent. They are as good as anybody Neshaminy will face the rest of the regular season on offense, so this game will tell us alot.
BTW, we (my friends and I) call the Langhorne Hotel the "Hilton." It is a very old historic landmark going back to the 1600's and to a time when Langhorn was called Four Lane's End, before "Attleboro" and Langhorne.

Good to see all the traffic on this thread about DTW-Neshaminy on Fri nite.......should be a good one. When I saw the schedule come out I was surprised to see the Skins on there again, usually or lately anyway, teams will sign on for a home and home and then move on..........anyway good for us fans to see something other than the usual non-league cupcakes. Saw Nesh vs DTE in a scrimmage and they weren't, at least to my eye, at the level that I'm used to seeing them at. Maybe it was just that day or maybe it was DTE - who looked good by the way. Offense has never been the problem at DTW, their troubles recently have begun and ended on the defensive side of the ball. The D looked very good vs LaSalle in scrimmage #1 and also played well in scrimmage #2 but Conestoga was horrible. Hard to take much out of last weeks win over Haverford too as they were just outmanned. I think they're a bit bigger and way more athletic than last years defense but they'll have their hands full with Nesh big O-line...LB's will have to play well.

Over the years, I've made too many trips to Suburban One territory (Doylestown, Langhorne and Lansdale) only to have to make the long somber trip back to Dtown.

Downingtown wins in Suburban One territory (from memory which could be faulty at times):

prior to school split:
'94 - D1 final vs CB West
'96 - D1 semi-final vs CB East
after split:
'05 - D1 semi-final vs Neshaminy (DTE)

Here's to finally getting off the schneid (spelling?) and making the drive home from Langhorne this Friday night in a more festive mood.

Last edited:
Relayer - I'll look for you guys if we arrive early enough.

Neshaminy has to clean up the special teams if they want to win this game. Those two miscues against Montclair could've cost them the game. One thing they shouldn't do is kick to #2 - he'll be deep on kick return and is the punt returner. Pop kick it on kickoffs and punt it away from him - think Keiser from Garnet Valley a few years back in the playoffs.

As for the Skins-DTE scrimmage, I saw the same thing. It looked as if the Cougars were on a whole other level than the Skins.

Now this was a fun thread. And some good points made including those by Iron Marshall when he noted that Montclair had a few more weapons besides just Webb. I didn't mean to downplay them it appeared, though, that Webb was the hot player for sure; however, Hughes busted up some passes which kept their air game in check and I think the 'Skins have a nice DB crew too. We'll see how Friday goes as I have heard that our guys looked a bit sluggish/behind the curve in the scrimmage against D-Town East (Wilmot mentioned that and pointed out he had exhorted the team to get back to basics for Montclair).

By the way, that Pennsbury v LaSalle game might just tell us a few things too (seems NP was in that one with the Explorers so let's see what the Falcons do). Start getting a better picture of some of the SOL National (CB South looked strong too and I'm not discounting Pennridge or Souderton either although reports are Abington might not be quite as strong this season as we've come to expect from the Ghosts - not sure just yet, of course, and this Friday should provide more insights).

And thanks to our friends over on the Western side for fleshing out the Whippets.

Last edited:
I am a homer, so no surprise I think the Skins will beat the Whippets, who are a very good team this year. I have not been able to find a whole lot on the Whippets game with Haverford, but what I have read, reinforced what I know of the program. Dtown West has a very deceptive rushing attack with lots of misdirection and traps. They make it hard to find the ball carrier. I watched some highlights of Riddick's running and saw that he had good speed and reads his blocking well. The line is larger than in the past, with guys at 6'4, 240, 6'5, 235, 6'2, 240 (center), 6'2, 260 and a 6' that I was not able to get a weight on. That is a pretty good sized line. Neshaminy's DL is 285 at both Tackles however and 235 and 261 at DE, so that will be interesting.
Barr is a scary dude every time he touches the ball, but the Skins LBs and DBs all have pretty good speed. OLB Spingler was a starting CB last year, Hughes and Treadway are both fast at DB, Smith is very active sideline to sideline at LB (quick).

Nate Allyene had a huge game at WR, but as we saw against Montclair, the Skins secondary is very good.

The Redskins Offense was extremely impressive on the ground and in the air. They are big on the line (the center is undersized but very good technically). 285, 285, 290, 240 and 205. I think Downingtown West's DL will have its hands full with that. Also the the two primary receivers are really tall and really talented. They will be hard to match up with and control. The key is to put pressure on QB Jones, which is tough as Jones is difficult to get to given the offensive line and Jones’ mobility. Add to that Dogba on the ground is a a handful.

I think the Skins will score often and this game could be a shootout, but I think Neshaminy’s defense is pretty good and will be the difference.

Anyway, my homerish 2 cents. I am really looking forward to this game as it will tell me a lot about both teams.

Iron, you make some good points...Dwest O is a variation of WingT (misdirection/trapping etc.) but also high paced that often spreads with a lot of passing. The O deservedly receives majority of attention but the D, undersized and achilles heel the past 5 years is vastly improved with strong/bigger line and hard hitting LB's and secondary. 26 arguably best athlete on field at OLB... Great match-up...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT