ADVERTISEMENT

scrimmages this week

Not listed on there.

Carroll @ West Catholic, 11
At WC practice field

In looking at those schedules more closely, they have Simon Gratz hosting Bensalem at 11am, but visting CRSouth at 10 on the same morning. Obviously there is a mistake.

Here's a good list from eastern pa football. Just plug in the district for the schedule. Still very weird the regular season starts a week from Friday, it's too early. Crowds have never been good on Labor Day weekend, I presume they'll be worse next weekend.

http://easternpafootball.com/epascoreboard/index.php
People on here and elsewhere have lamented poor attendance at high school games and weaker interest in hs football. Starting the season so early exacerbates the problems. At many schools teams will have played two games before the students return--no way to foster connections between school communities and teams. I know there's no way to bring back lots of the old Thanksgiving Day games, but it's worth noting that they gave lots of schools a chance to play meaningful games till late November and they strengthened the connection between teams and communities.

People on here and elsewhere have lamented poor attendance at high school games and weaker interest in hs football. Starting the season so early exacerbates the problems. At many schools teams will have played two games before the students return--no way to foster connections between school communities and teams. I know there's no way to bring back lots of the old Thanksgiving Day games, but it's worth noting that they gave lots of schools a chance to play meaningful games till late November and they strengthened the connection between teams and communities.

Nice post tulla. This is why the Easton-Phillipsburg Thanksgiving game is unprecedented in not only this area, but the entire country. No matter what the PIAA has changed or altered, this game continues to be a staple in PA and NJ, specifically the Lehigh Valley. Don't have to like them, but I will always respect these 2 programs for carrying on the tradition.

Unfortunately, most of the Thanksgiving games in Philly area are a waste of time anymore.

Unfortunately, most of the Thanksgiving games in Philly area are a waste of time anymore.

Sure sounds like it in D12, but don't tell that to Pennridge-Quakertown or Haverford-Upper Darby in the 'burbs.

I agree. That's more true in PA, where lots of the Thanksgiving games are just thrown together or are mismatches almost every year, than in NJ. I just wish that the last game--or last meaningful game--for at least half the teams in PA wasn't in October and for half of the others it's in the first week of November.

I know nostalgia distorts but a long time ago when I was at SJP and we played Roman every Thanksgiving--second oldest Thanksgiving game at the time after Central-Northeast--it was great for both schools to have a big game before a very big crowd at the end of the season. Sometimes it was a way to salvage a season.

Reactions: paul from philly
Easton-Coatesville on Saturday night could be interesting. Two traditionally strong programs that are going to be really young but talented this year. Also very similar schools, which always makes for a fun clash. Both teams will have a much better idea what their year is going to look like after Saturday.

Council Rock North will have 2 scrimmages and not open their season until Labor Day weekend. I don't know of any other D1 schools going this route. They scrimmage CB-West on Saturday and Imhotep next Friday. North will only play a 9 game regular season.

Relayer is this something new? Who were they playing week 1? This seems unusual with CR South opening vs Father Judge. I remember a few years back CR North used to opened vs Judge. Is this their AD again? #not_a_fan.

Easton-Coatesville on Saturday night could be interesting. Two traditionally strong programs that are going to be really young but talented this year. Also very similar schools, which always makes for a fun clash. Both teams will have a much better idea what their year is going to look like after Saturday.
Rove....check out Wilson-WL at Parkland Sat AM. Similar characteristics of East-Coats game you mention.

Relayer is this something new? Who were they playing week 1? This seems unusual with CR South opening vs Father Judge. I remember a few years back CR North used to opened vs Judge. Is this their AD again? #not_a_fan.

Thankfully that AD is gone. CRN was supposed to open up with Perk Valley as they have done the past couple seasons. I was told they dropped the game, partly due to the brutal schedule they already have the first 4 weeks. After the 2 scrimmages, they play CB-South, Coatesville, Neshaminy and Pennsbury.

The logical question is why not just make Imhotep a game and not a scrimmage? My guess is the new coach doesn't want to start his career with a pasting with those other games on the horizon. It also wouldn't make sense to drop Perk Valley and add Imhotep if trying to "lighten" the schedule.

From the Imhotep perspective, did they not have a game next weekend and decided to throw CRN a bone with a scrimmage? Maybe Ortman reached out to Schmidt or visa versa, but I have no idea.

Weird for sure. Perk Valley had Downingtown West week 1. Wonder who else had their schedule changed. Is CR North going to be that bad this year they would rather scrimmage than play? Or could it help them make playoffs with 9 vs 10 games?

OK, I'm confused with the Imhotep schedule. Max Preps says they play at Silver Oak Academy on the 27th, but scrimmage CRN on the 25th? Eastern PA Football says they scrimmage CRN on the 25th and play National Christian Academy on the 27th. Can someone clarify?

Odds are CRN starts 0-4 anyway, so playoffs are not a consideration. Big shoes to fill on offense. Drove by the school today and looked like about 50 kids out for the team.

Rove....check out Wilson-WL at Parkland Sat AM. Similar characteristics of East-Coats game you mention.

Parkland brings back more than people think. The sexier pieces are gone (Cross, Yeboah, Brouse, DiGiralomo) but they bring back 3 linemen (including 3 year starter and 325 pounder Pat Ferry), a 6'4 40 catch receiver (Zach Bross) and five starters on defense. They won't be as good, but they certainly have more pieces than Easton. Freedom is the clear favorite though. Work has gotten in the way of finishing my preview, but hopefully will post it next week.

Easton looks like they'll only start 5 seniors. I could see this being like 2002 or 2008 where they started almost all underclassmen and took some lumps, then were experienced and loaded in 2003, 2004, 2009 and 2010.

I'm pretty sure Imhotep had a "real" game scheduled, but that team recently cancelled the game.

Thanks Huck, that makes sense. What doesn't make sense is Imhotep and CRN having a scrimmage next week when every other school in SE PA is playing their opener.

Parkland brings back more than people think. The sexier pieces are gone (Cross, Yeboah, Brouse, DiGiralomo) but they bring back 3 linemen (including 3 year starter and 325 pounder Pat Ferry), a 6'4 40 catch receiver (Zach Bross) and five starters on defense. They won't be as good, but they certainly have more pieces than Easton. Freedom is the clear favorite though. Work has gotten in the way of finishing my preview, but hopefully will post it next week.

Easton looks like they'll only start 5 seniors. I could see this being like 2002 or 2008 where they started almost all underclassmen and took some lumps, then were experienced and loaded in 2003, 2004, 2009 and 2010.
Right, Freedom should be exciting! Ditto for Wilson, the sexy stuff is gone with some #s on D rtn'g. We'll see if the big 6-5 kid breaks in this year at Qb.
We look forward to your previews. Looks like the same ole in 3 with Wilson, Manheim Twp, CD and CVal battling. Dropping down, McD and Man Cent look special.

I'm pretty sure Imhotep had a "real" game scheduled, but that team recently cancelled the game.
Huck, is it possible to do a scout tape at the West Catholic practice field? That is, is there a press box? Thanks, Jim

Thanks Huck, that makes sense. What doesn't make sense is Imhotep and CRN having a scrimmage next week when every other school in SE PA is playing their opener.
St. Joseph Prep also does not play in week 1. They will scrimmage St. Joseph Regional.

Huck, is it possible to do a scout tape at the West Catholic practice field? That is, is there a press box? Thanks, Jim

Jim, believe it or not, but I have never been over to the new practice field since they started using it. I'm not really sure, but I'll see if I can find out.

Jim, I'm told that behind one of the end zone's there is an elevated 15-18 foot hill and that view is solid from there. I believe both sidelines are only field level.

Jim, I'm told that behind one of the end zone's there is an elevated 15-18 foot hill and that view is solid from there. I believe both sidelines are only field level.
Thanks Huck, hope to say hello on Friday if you're going to the game.

Imhotep is now supposed to play a team in Maryland. From what I've heard the first team cancelled on them, and CRN may have wanted a scrimmage and not a game.

Does anyone know if Imhotep is scrimmaging CR North tomorrow or playing that MD game instead?

Looks that way, the scrimmage was removed from every web site I encountered.

So CRN originally had Perk Valley scheduled this weekend but dropped them because their schedule was too difficult? Now they have nothing to do this weekend when every other school in D1 will have a game under their belts. I sure hope this was the brain child of Mr Incompetent D-Bag who is now out of the school. Worst person ever associated with CR....EVER!! ....and it's not even close. Good Riddance!!!

Relayer, and Conwell-Egan could t find a game for week 1. That could have been a very reasonable, competitive week one opponent.

Well said Huck. I sure wish the Courier asked this new coach some tough questions. I read their preview and CRN not having an opener should have been question #1. It wasn't even asked.

Certainly enough time to scrap together a scrimmage between the two, no? Better than nothing.

Certainly enough time to scrap together a scrimmage between the two, no? Better than nothing.

CE has a scrimmage already. I believe with a Jersey team. Only after not being able to find a real game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT