ADVERTISEMENT

Sanctuary cities!

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
Good hearing Jeff Sessions' views on withholding funds for sanctuary cities; the very cities that receive inordinate amounts of funding from the same source.

OK not a fan of protecting criminals(people who have committed theft, rape, ect)

OK not a fan of protecting criminals(people who have committed theft, rape, ect)

Or people who are here illegally!! I don't understand leaders of these cities. Mayor Kenny should have his head examined along with every other liberal city mayor!!!

I say get rid of the criminals first hell or high water get them out. After that then start with people who are here illegally, but be ready to pay $20 for strawberries.

Last edited:
I say get rid of the criminals first hell or high water get them out. After that then start with people who are here illegally, but be ready to pay $20 for strawberries.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't being a sanctuary city mean not that people who commit violent crimes are somehow protected from prosecution but that people who witness or report such crimes are not asked about their immigration status. The idea is that making them worry that reporting or testifying about a crime will make them vulnerable to deportaton and thus deter them from reporting or testifying.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't being a sanctuary city mean not that people who commit violent crimes are somehow protected from prosecution but that people who witness or report such crimes are not asked about their immigration status. The idea is that making them worry that reporting or testifying about a crime will make them vulnerable to deportaton and thus deter them from reporting or testifying.

Many are starting to ask for a legal definition but no, there is no legal definition of sanctuary city. It does not exist in law. But we have all seen it observed as law (de facto) at least in practice which is causing all the flak. That is unless you want to blame the Federal government for enforcing what is in fact….law. Somehow that gets lost in the conversation.

Reactions: paul from philly
Many are starting to ask for a legal definition but no, there is no legal definition of sanctuary city. It does not exist in law. But we have all seen it observed as law (de facto) at least in practice which is causing all the flak. That is unless you want to blame the Federal government for enforcing what is in fact….law. Somehow that gets lost in the conversation.

BINGO!!! All ICE is doing is enforcing a law at has been on the books for I don't know how long. Tulla, you're worried about them being able to come forward and testify and be safe from deportation when they are in violation of the law right off the bat. They are here illegally and no discussion is going to change that.

The way to stop a boat load of illegal immigration is to stop employing them. You'll never hear a Rep congressman say that though.

That is true they are hear like the immigrants before them cheap labor. Stop paying them and that will be that, but like I said no one will do the jobs they do for the money they make. So like I said earlier I am fine with all of that but get used to paying $20 for strawberries. Cheap labor has always been the American way from paying illegals to paying in script to slavery it's just good business

Last edited:
BINGO!!! All ICE is doing is enforcing a law at has been on the books for I don't know how long. Tulla, you're worried about them being able to come forward and testify and be safe from deportation when they are in violation of the law right off the bat. They are here illegally and no discussion is going to change that.
Paul, The 11 million, or however many there are, are not all the same
Paul, I'm not sure anyone thinks all eleven million illegal immigrants should be regarded in the same way. Even Trump seems to recognize that "dreamers" are different.One question is how one defines "dreamers." Is a 16-year old who crosses the border with his or her parents a dreamer? Is a 14-year old who crosses the border alone to join parents already here a dreamer? Do you want to deport people who have been here twenty years or more, have never committed a crime since entering the U.S. and who in most cases have been employed by American individuals or companies who either knew those people were illegal or who made no attempt to find out even though they (the employers) usually knew there was a real chance the employee was an illegal immigrant? And how much of our resources (including those of police departments) do you want to direct to identifying, rounding up, and deporting all illegal immigrants?

Paul, I'm not sure anyone thinks all eleven million illegal immigrants should be regarded in the same way. Even Trump seems to recognize that "dreamers" are different.One question is how one defines "dreamers." Is a 16-year old who crosses the border with his or her parents a dreamer? Is a 14-year old who crosses the border alone to join parents already here a dreamer? Do you want to deport people who have been here twenty years or more, have never committed a crime since entering the U.S. and who in most cases have been employed by American individuals or companies who either knew those people were illegal or who made no attempt to find out even though they (the employers) usually knew there was a real chance the employee was an illegal immigrant? And how much of our resources (including those of police departments) do you want to direct to identifying, rounding up, and deporting all illegal immigrants?

Tulla, they should be regarded the same. They are here and have been here illegally. It's the law for God's sake. I don't care about the sob story of how or why they came here. People left the old world for the same exact reasons. Wars, famines. Nothing new. But they did it the right way The rules for entry have been in place for quite some time. As I said in my post, your discussion doesn't change that. The only way I would soften my thinking would be to change the tax code to a sales tax, nation wide. That way, at least they're paying something into the government

Tulla, they should be regarded the same. They are here and have been here illegally. It's the law for God's sake. I don't care about the sob story of how or why they came here. People left the old world for the same exact reasons. Wars, famines. Nothing new. But they did it the right way The rules for entry have been in place for quite some time. As I said in my post, your discussion doesn't change that. The only way I would soften my thinking would be to change the tax code to a sales tax, nation wide. That way, at least they're paying something into the government
Are you as eager to throw the book at anyone who has ever employed an illegal immigrant? I know of dozens (note the plural) of people who have had landscape businesses, or bars, or construction businesses in the Philadelphia area and have employed young illegal immigrants from Ireland in recent decades. Didn't Trump's own first nominee for Labor Secretary hire illegal immigrants? As for taxes, guess how many Americans falsify their incomes? I've asked people to do a number of jobs for me--mostly related to home repairs and renovations--and they have refused to take the work if I wasn't willing to pay cash. How much of our resources do you think we should invest in addressing such illegal acts? And do you really make no distinction whatsoever between people who were brought here illegally as children and people who came as adults?

Try all the discussing and validation you want Tulla. It is against the law!! So if the system is broken, you just want to let it take its course and let's let everyone in because they're dreamers and America is a great place and blah, blah, blah!! As I said, no amount of discussion will make it legal. What, dreamers don't have to follow the rules??

Last edited:
Ok it's illegal. So crack down on the companies which employ them. Ever hear a Rep say that?

Reluctant: Good point! Like Paul and I have been harping on....it's that law. We can cherry pick (illegal parking, running lights, etc) but do so at risk of penalty....because it is against the law. The issue of illegal immigrants who willfully opted to break the law, making a mockery of those doing as much legally is no different. There was a process these people thumbed their nose at it. They are parking here illegally!

tulla: Guess how many American's falsify their income? Where did that come from or paying cash to contractors...that you assume is for purposes of avoiding taxes. If they are illegals, I'm not ICE anymore than I don't pull over someone speeding on MacDade Blvd...not being a cop.

You will never get beyond it being illegal, making the question, what in hell do we do with them and the clowns that run Philly (Kenney), NYC, LA, etc. I hope they get pulled over!

Try all the discussing and validation you want Tulla. It is against the law!! So if the system is broken, you just want to let it take its course and let's let everyone in because they're dreamers and America is a great place and blah, blah, blah!! As I said, no amount of discussion will make it legal. What, dreamers don't have to follow the rules??
So, Paul, do you think that whatever it takes to round up all 11 million and to deport them should be done now? And, to take Reluctant's point, would you go after all of the tens and perhaps hundreds of thousands of people who have employed them to the full extent of the law? What do you think that would require in terms of law enforcement and court resources? Are you willing to pay that bill? I won't pursue the question of morality here, but it is very hard to see how, for instance,deporting a 20-year old college student or farm laborer who was brought by his parents when he was two can be considered the right thing to do.

Reluctant: Good point! Like Paul and I have been harping on....it's that law. We can cherry pick (illegal parking, running lights, etc) but do so at risk of penalty....because it is against the law. The issue of illegal immigrants who willfully opted to break the law, making a mockery of those doing as much legally is no different. There was a process these people thumbed their nose at it. They are parking here illegally!

tulla: Guess how many American's falsify their income? Where did that come from or paying cash to contractors...that you assume is for purposes of avoiding taxes. If they are illegals, I'm not ICE anymore than I don't pull over someone speeding on MacDade Blvd...not being a cop.

You will never get beyond it being illegal, making the question, what in hell do we do with them and the clowns that run Philly (Kenney), NYC, LA, etc. I hope they get pulled over!
Did the dreamers "willfully opt to break the law?"

As for paying cash to contractors, for what other purpose did the guy who wanted to put a new roof on my house say that I could pay 25% less if I paid him in cash as opposed to a check? The small local moving company I contacted said they would take the job only if I paid cash. I thought my point was obvious: lots of people are quite selective when it comes to deciding which laws should be followed and applied.

So, Paul, do you think that whatever it takes to round up all 11 million and to deport them should be done now? And, to take Reluctant's point, would you go after all of the tens and perhaps hundreds of thousands of people who have employed them to the full extent of the law? What do you think that would require in terms of law enforcement and court resources? Are you willing to pay that bill? I won't pursue the question of morality here, but it is very hard to see how, for instance,deporting a 20-year old college student or farm laborer who was brought by his parents when he was two can be considered the right thing to do.

Tulla, you don't have to go out like storm troopers and round up 11 million tomorrow. But if ICE goes out and rounds up a few hundred as they did a few weeks ago in New York, I don't want to hear from all the bleeding hearts about how they are ruining the illegals lives and tearing them apart. Stop with all the sob stories, I saw Old Yeller!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT