ADVERTISEMENT

Ridley?

defcon3

Sep 16, 2005
When are the powers that be or even the head coach going to realize that this offensive coordinator and his system are antiquated, and do not fit with the Green Mystique? They wasted a ton of talent last year running this option crap, and won games because of their defense. Anyone with any idea on how to defend shut them down last year. This year looks to be the same old story.

Defcon I think the opposite might have cost them last night. They should have run the ball on every down. They won the LOS all night. A lot of bad things happened every time they went to air. Seems to me the system has been adjusted to be more in line with Ridley tradition of throwing the football.

Think Ridley underestimated Haverford secondary kids. Qb had off night but not many guys open. Those three kids for haverford can really run.

I think Ridley is going to be fine. Defensively and they have been very difficult to run against in two games. Judge ran the ball for almost 250 this week so I don't think their defense is a mirage. Thought coaching wise they made nice adjustments to disrupt Haverfords throw game which I think is going to prove very dynamic with the length, speed, and athleticism they have.

The schedule is not favorable with Haverford, Garnet Valley, Marple back to back to back. Ridley run defense against Garnet veer will be great matchup. I love Ridleys toughness on that side of ball and have some really good point of attack defenders. The league is just so much better from when Ridley dominated. Dynamics of who they are playing is so much different from old days. It's still an excellent program.

I'm on record as saying I do not care what offense they run so long as they win. Regardless of the offense , if you get the ball inside the 5 yard line you need to be able to run the ball in and they passed to many times deep in Haverford territory. My biggest problem with the offense is two fold :

1. Everything is a misdirection or some type of finesse play. That's not Ridley football. At some point you have to be able to line up and get a first down even though everyone knows who is getting the ball. Their defense is based on kids being hard nosed physical and fundamentally sound. They lose that 'edge' by making it finesse

2. They run virtually the identical offense as GV. For the big school teams in the league , it's no longer a novelty. Take a team like Springfield. For them to win the league this year they need to ve successful against Haverford , GV , and Ridley. 2 of the three run the exact plays , exact terminology. By the time they play either squad m Springfield might even have the hand signals figured out by then. Part of the reason for GV success over the years has been how difficult they were to prepare for. 2 platoon , hurry up offense where they woukd just grind you down. With Ridley doing the same i think both offenses might ultimately suffer

GG : I'm not sure Ridley will be fine. It depends on your definition of fine. They will have trouble with GV , Marple and Springfield. And Upper Darby held their own physically with GV. Even if they go 3-1 against that 4, that leaves them at 8-2 and with a primarily 5A Schedule they might sneak into the playoffs. If they go 2-2, that leaves them 7-3 and probably out.

Speed going into the year talent wise I had Ridley behind Garnet Valley, Marple and Springfield for sure. Toss up with Haverford. If this coaching staff goes 8-2 with this group that would be a helluva job in my opinion. If they make 6a playoffs this year(I think they will) I think that's a good year.

I don't see a lot of dynamic skill talent. Think all four of gv,spr,marple, haverford have considerably better playmakers for this particular year. Ridley going to have to hang their hat on their defense. Could be totally wrong. I think if you put conestoga jerseys on this group of kids 7-3 would be considered more than fine.

I realize the ridiculousness of that statement because it's Ridley not Conestoga. There is great tradition and pride that they are supposed to win more than the eye test etc with the mystique.

Ridley has always been the marquis program in delco. They always kept players in district. Always well coached and ahead of other central league programs in tradition, talent, coaching and were the only real constant in the league except for strath haven exceptional run.

But Haven hiring Clancy gave teams a road map. Start with getting a coach and not whomever in the building wants to do it. Then as the Catholic League football and school system changed so dramatically the primary beneficiaries are Ridley's Central League rivals.

The preps,malverns,haverford schools have upped ante to go national and cast such a wide net that previous scholarship delco kids litter central league rosters. Add in what tuition is at Bonner, O'Hara, and Carroll ͏y͏o͏u get a self fulfilling prophecy at schools that ordinarily got rolled by Ridley. Add a burgeoning school district power like Garnet Valley who has super coach and it's not your fathers central league.

There is a lot about this that is debatable and opinion. One thing I think is irrefutable. At no point over past 50 years has their been a greater percentage of delco football talent going to school in their home district and playing in the central league. That makes any program perennially going 9-1 or 8-2 very difficult.

GG : we shall see. Ridley did not win for all those years simply because they had better talent. But I hear what your saying. That being said, I think they match up well with both GV and Spring Field since neither team right now is getting tremendous QB play and Ridley can focus on just stopping the run. Crazy with the CL schedule that the league might be over by the end of September.

Speed I agree. I came away from haverford game very impressed with Ridley D. Both from personnel and coaching perspective. Think this week will be great game matching strengths. There are three or four Ridley kids on d that I love to watch get after it.

I'm on record as saying I do not care what offense they run so long as they win. Regardless of the offense , if you get the ball inside the 5 yard line you need to be able to run the ball in and they passed to many times deep in Haverford territory. My biggest problem with the offense is two fold :

1. Everything is a misdirection or some type of finesse play. That's not Ridley football. At some point you have to be able to line up and get a first down even though everyone knows who is getting the ball. Their defense is based on kids being hard nosed physical and fundamentally sound. They lose that 'edge' by making it finesse

2. They run virtually the identical offense as GV. For the big school teams in the league , it's no longer a novelty. Take a team like Springfield. For them to win the league this year they need to ve successful against Haverford , GV , and Ridley. 2 of the three run the exact plays , exact terminology. By the time they play either squad m Springfield might even have the hand signals figured out by then. Part of the reason for GV success over the years has been how difficult they were to prepare for. 2 platoon , hurry up offense where they woukd just grind you down. With Ridley doing the same i think both offenses might ultimately suffer

GG : I'm not sure Ridley will be fine. It depends on your definition of fine. They will have trouble with GV , Marple and Springfield. And Upper Darby held their own physically with GV. Even if they go 3-1 against that 4, that leaves them at 8-2 and with a primarily 5A Schedule they might sneak into the playoffs. If they go 2-2, that leaves them 7-3 and probably out.

Garnet's offense doesn't look anything like ridley's. does Ridleys offense look like the old GV offense? Absolutely. But garnet is now running split back veer. The offenses developmentally are cousins but GV seems to have moved on from "flexbone". Both teams run option, but if you saw that game the other night the emphasis and design are very different

I would say both offenses are fundamentally smililar,or very close "cousins" as you say. They both want to pound the middle with the dive until you stop it and then look to get on the corners fir big plays. The major difference is GV is now doing it with 2 backs instead of 3, although Ridley might as well use 2 backs because the 3rd back i think got ZERO touches and everytime they put him in motion the play went away from him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT