ADVERTISEMENT

Remaining games

16th&Georgetown

Sep 3, 2004
One day down, 2 blowouts. Which of the remaining games will have the closest margin of victory? I’ll go with 5A game.

One day down, 2 blowouts. Which of the remaining games will have the closest margin of victory? I’ll go with 5A game.

Everyone has SJP destroying Harrisburg, not sure about that but did see a lot of space between LB’s and DBs vs Coats. If Cougars don’t turnover, it’s a game. Southern-Wilmington looks like a copy of Farrell-LT and Aliquippa has one of their best teams like Farrell, overpowering with a very good Qb.
Didn’t think Middletown was getting by CEC but here they are. They’re cool customers and its been a while for the Quips. That could be the one. I had MC blowing PH out but hope I’m wrong, hoping for maybe one tight game like the rest of the board

The lack of competitive state playoff and final games are a shame. I’m hoping the 3A and 5A games are close. I don’t see Harrisburg staying within 3 scores of St. Joes Prep.

On top of this issue, the PIAA is discussing creating a 7A Super Class. Who would even be in that class besides St. Joes? I wish they would go back to the four classifications, but I don’t see it ever happening.

The lack of competitive state playoff and final games are a shame. I’m hoping the 3A and 5A games are close. I don’t see Harrisburg staying within 3 scores of St. Joes Prep.

On top of this issue, the PIAA is discussing creating a 7A Super Class. Who would even be in that class besides St. Joes? I wish they would go back to the four classifications, but I don’t see it ever happening.
Good point, who would be in here with SJP? And at some point the worm always turns. What then, no more 7A?
I don't have a horse in the race but suppose I'm partial being from D3. But when they kick off, I just want a good clean game. And there is something very native to most of us pulling for the underdog....but of course not if your team is in there! I was pulling for LT and ICS as the games got going, feeling those very thoughts.

good one going on southern Columbia and Wilmington knotted at 14@ half, controversial td at end of half for sc to tie it.

Let’s discuss this Southern Columbia team. I think stability, experience in the coaching staff and tradition can go along way for a program. Obviously, SCA excels in these areas. Cap tip to them. They have a very good program. They had a super team this season. They deserve to be lauded. With that said, am I expected to believe that this little school, in a middle of nowhere, rural areas just continuously produces very good football players year after year without cutting some corners? Can’t be possible, right? What’s the secret? Now, their cult fan base (Reminds me the spectators in the Hunger Games movies when a call goes against them) will say they just work harder than everyone else. Yea, sure. Not sure I’m buying it.

And hey, it’s America so if kids want to cross the mountain uo there or move into the district then have at it. I get it. I just rather not hear we’re this small school with home grown talent. It seems impossible to me that this type of dominance would be sustainable if that was completely true.

If I’m totally off-based then let me know. If others have a deeper insight then share if you’d like.

Reactions: D1 Transplant
Cover - I missed the game. What were the halftime adjustments by SC? I was following the score and it sounds like it should’ve been 14-7 Wilmington at the half. How’d they get blown out in the second half? What did SC change?

Defense was more gap sound against double wing, didn't let tight end get loose as in first half, defense held Wilmington to 15 yards in third quarter and got em behind the chains. Two picks, one in plus territory, Wilmington defense constantly on field and garcia brothers wore them out. Screen pass td at end of third, great call and something they didn't show early , waited and called it at perfect time.

Defense was more gap sound against double wing, didn't let tight end get loose as in first half, defense held Wilmington to 15 yards in third quarter and got em behind the chains. Two picks, one in plus territory, Wilmington defense constantly on field and garcia brothers wore them out. Screen pass td at end of third, great call and something they didn't show early , waited and called it at perfect time.
MC is down 12-7 against PH but Im Impressed and believe they will pull away late big... I’ll say MC win by 16 or so.

Last edited:
soup, idk, you said penn hills had athletes and damn is hardy fast... if mc has to continue to sling it, not sure, qb is good but a bit rattled.

No. I am not suggesting you are off base. You are a journalist and you have done tremendous things over the years. SC has a geographic advantage. No question. If I pull up the AW win % off the Ted Silary site from early 80’s to 2001 it is anemic at best. Maybe 2 winning seasons. All I am saying is that things runs in cycles and a really subject to “conditions”. I will not go into all the conditions that made AW a powerhouse, but they are more dissimilar to SC up “there”. To call them out is disengenuous. They have a “model”. So does AW. They are different models of success.

No. I am not suggesting you are off base. You are a journalist and you have done tremendous things over the years. SC has a geographic advantage. No question. If I pull up the AW win % off the Ted Silary site from early 80’s to 2001 it is anemic at best. Maybe 2 winning seasons. All I am saying is that things runs in cycles and a really subject to “conditions”. I will not go into all the conditions that made AW a powerhouse, but they are more dissimilar to SC up “there”. To call them out is disengenuous. They have a “model”. So does AW. They are different models of success.

For starters, I’m not a journalist and I never have been.

Next, if you know me thenyou know that I don’t really care how a team builds their program. Really I don’t. However, I do have problem when only private schools get scrutinized and complained about when they’re successful. Meanwhile, this program gets to hide behind we’re a small public school and there is nothing to see here.

I hear you. And I do not disagree. And I am am a public school guy. I have no problem with Wood or SJP. Understand the dynamic and possibly both sides. I agree the scrutiny has been one-sided. But not 100% to zero. It’s definitely slanted to the PCL. The point here is we got to be real... pub and private and parochial. There are issues in all 3. And the rest of the state is different than Philly. You have to realize the difference. Just saying....

I do know that SC has a history of getting the opportune “transfer “ into their program. The most recent example is the star QB who transferred in from Lewisburg High- not that there’s anything wrong with it.

The funny thing is we are all closer to agreeing on all this than the shit going in in Wash, DC. Just saying.....

Congrats PH!! Looks like most prognosticators wwrong. Speed and 4 interceptions will do it.

Sal you don't think if MC coach of 20 years didn't retire they win easy? You think maybe this Penn Hills team is really talented and may have just been better than all of the teams they played, hence the 16-0 record?

Well everyone who wanted a relatively competitive game between two public schools got their wish. Sounds Iike the teams were pretty even considering MC threw so many picks in the red zone

Wonder if Pitt will offer this Penn Hills kid Hardy...

Congrats PH!! Looks like most prognosticators wwrong. Speed and 4 interceptions will do it.
I watched Penn Hills five times this year and they were at times very sloppy but overcame that with with big time , Long touchdowns combined with many turnovers… Thats a good recipe for winning. They beat a very good team last night.

Reactions: new2pa
I watched Penn Hills five times this year and they were at times very sloppy but overcame that with with big time , Long touchdowns combined with many turnovers… Thats a good recipe for winning. They beat a very good team last night.
Good, concise assessment. You captured it in a nutshell Soup13.

Reactions: Soup13
i'm surprised there's no discussion about the end of the penn hills-manheim central game. for full disclosure...i'm from the lehigh valley and live in mechanicsburg. i was probably partial to manheim central last night but after following a bunch of obnoxious/drunk barons fans into stadium...i decided to sit on the penn hills side. in other words...i'd like to say i was fairly impartial.

it was upsetting enough to see the penn hills sideline dump gatorade on their coach and dance around the field with a manheim central player motionless on the field. the penn hills kids certainly did deserve to celebrate their accomplishment...but an adult on that sideline should have tempered things at least until he was en route to the hospital.

i'm even more upset after seeing the replay. it was clear the penn hills kid was intending to take somebody out. did he mean to seriously injure him? we can't prove that and it would be unfair to accuse a kid of something like that. what is clear is he was making no effort to actually recover the football. he RAN PAST THE BALL from the second level of the hands team to put a forearm into the manheim central player's head.

ultimately it's up to adults in these situations to teach these kids important lessons. the penn hills coach made an excuse saying you're supposed to hit somebody if the ball is over year head. the ball was in front of him so this excuse doesn't fly. combining this hit with the head shot to manheim central's qb (not to mention the student section chanting "BS" all night) makes me wonder what the priorities are at penn hills.

sorry for the rant. it's situations like this that are putting the game of football in danger.

FJ

Penn Hill is very good team, deserves the title. They can be the most talented team in 5A
Sal you don't think if MC coach of 20 years didn't retire they win easy? You think maybe this Penn Hills team is really talented and may have just been better than all of the teams they played, hence the 16-0 record?

Have no idea. I know Penn Hills is a very talented team and they deserve the title, congrats to them. I know that Wood defense did a nice job giving up 42 yards on 41 plays and 216 yards on 3 plays. (Thanks Huck).
Like the other guys posted, and I agreed with Wood had chances and as bulldog said, enough talent to win, even with the injuries.
Happy Holidays!

Reactions: lilromeo
Is there an update on the injured player? That was very scary. I cannot imagine being that player's parents; ABSOLUTELY UNNECESSARY HIT. I have no skin in the game but there is no place in football for that kind of hit.

They were somewhat sloppy last night - numerous false starts, etc - but their big plays overcame it. Their two point tries were awful - no conversions in 6 tries. Their defensive calls were pretty good. A number of good blitz calls and some good plays by the D-backs. The play calling for MC was very suspect at times. They got out coached overall by PH and PH definitely has speed and skill. MC dug them selves a big hole and almost climbed out of it. As a neutral observer who used to coach in Maryland, I think if they played 10 times it could be a 5-5 split. It was a fun game for the fans to see.

Reactions: Soup13
FJ

Penn Hill is very good team, deserves the title. They can be the most talented team in 5A

Have no idea. I know Penn Hills is a very talented team and they deserve the title, congrats to them. I know that Wood defense did a nice job giving up 42 yards on 41 plays and 216 yards on 3 plays. (Thanks Huck).
Like the other guys posted, and I agreed with Wood had chances and as bulldog said, enough talent to win, even with the injuries.
Happy Holidays!

PH won the state, I would say they are most talented in 5A

Let’s discuss this Southern Columbia team. I think stability, experience in the coaching staff and tradition can go along way for a program. Obviously, SCA excels in these areas. Cap tip to them. They have a very good program. They had a super team this season. They deserve to be lauded. With that said, am I expected to believe that this little school, in a middle of nowhere, rural areas just continuously produces very good football players year after year without cutting some corners? Can’t be possible, right? What’s the secret? Now, their cult fan base (Reminds me the spectators in the Hunger Games movies when a call goes against them) will say they just work harder than everyone else. Yea, sure. Not sure I’m buying it.

SCA has an incredible fan base and alumni. I can't prove what Burrs is saying but myself as well as many others around certainly feel the same way that some corners are being cut.

I saw them manhandle a real good Nuemann-Goretti squad last year. I know that NG was not exactly in the same league as the upper echelon teams in the PCL 6A but I felt that SCA could of been competitive with any of those schools especially from what I saw on that night. They are incredibly well coached and the kids totally buy in and work harder than most teams.

What I have a hard time understanding is the fact that they never even consider playing up in classification or even attempt to try to make at least a competitive non conference game against someone that has more of a pulse. I believe they had one or two out of conference games this year. Its not their fault that they play in one of the least competitive conferences in the state but from what I'm told if they do move up in classification it would allow them the benefit of potentially going to another conference and more competitive games.

Lastly from what I was told, many many SCA people have been upset over the years they they are rarely ever listed in the top teams in the country. The reasons provided above are why they are not.

Does West catholic play up in classification? I think so.

SCA has an incredible fan base and alumni. I can't prove what Burrs is saying but myself as well as many others around certainly feel the same way that some corners are being cut.

I saw them manhandle a real good Nuemann-Goretti squad last year. I know that NG was not exactly in the same league as the upper echelon teams in the PCL 6A but I felt that SCA could of been competitive with any of those schools especially from what I saw on that night. They are incredibly well coached and the kids totally buy in and work harder than most teams.

What I have a hard time understanding is the fact that they never even consider playing up in classification or even attempt to try to make at least a competitive non conference game against someone that has more of a pulse. I believe they had one or two out of conference games this year. Its not their fault that they play in one of the least competitive conferences in the state but from what I'm told if they do move up in classification it would allow them the benefit of potentially going to another conference and more competitive games.

Lastly from what I was told, many many SCA people have been upset over the years they they are rarely ever listed in the top teams in the country. The reasons provided above are why they are not.

Does West catholic play up in classification? I think so.
About SCA, why would anyone list them as a top team in the country when they haven't demonstrated the ability to beat the best teams in Pennsylvania? Like UCF and the Big-12, play someone!

Reactions: lilromeo and kitwor
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT